5.0 out of 5 stars Great scanner at a great price!
Published 15 months ago by James C

3.0 out of 5 stars Good basic scanner
A good basic scanner. A shame it can't be programmed with Uniden's PC software (no USB plug), and no numeric keypad. Otherwise works well.
Published 3 months ago by Mal Smith

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great scanner at a great price!, 30 Aug 2013
This review is from: Bearcat EZI-33XLT - NEW AM/FM VHF-UHF radio scanner, very similar to Bearcat UBC30XLT, (Electronics)
I am completely new to scanners and decided to go for this base model unit after a few weeks of research. I can't really see what more you could need from a scanner than this to be honest. I bought it so I could hear air traffic at Cardiff Airport from my house and i'm happy to say it delivers, but not with the supplied aerial. I got a large table top aerial and it picks everything up crystal clear compared to the supplied aerial which didn't pick anything up at all as it is intended for short distance use, i'm about 12 miles from the airport. The scanner itself is very simple to use, it has a good display and thankfully it is easy to understand what service and frequency you are currently on. I highly recommend this product to people like me who are just getting into scanners but if you intend to use it at home then I recommend a much larger aerial if you live some distance away. I gave the product 5 stars based on the actual scanner itself as the larger aerial is just a recommendation if you want to use it at home, the aerial included is intended for use at the airport and i'm pleased to say it works just fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for use at an airport while plane spotting!, 4 May 2014
I bought this to primarily use when I'm at the airport but I've found it also works very well hen I'm at home as I can still listen to the radio transmissions.
The scanner it's self is very well made, it feels strong and robust. The antenna supplied is good and headphones are included in the box, they are obviously not the best headphones but they do the job. 4x AA batteries are also included and so far the scanner has lasted hours on then set of batteries included.
You can easily select frequencies from each bank and allocate your favorites to a pre set function or in a favourite section. There are 9 banks in total and you can select 20 favourite freqencies from each of these, you can store 190 freqencies in total in addition to 3 quick pre set freqencies.
There have been no problems at all with the scanner since I bought it and I would highly recommend it to anybody!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sparkling Compact Scanner, 6 Nov 2012
Oliver (South Wales UK) - See all my reviews
Always having had an interest in aircraft and air travel I decided to extend my interest and purchase a scanner which had the capability to scan the airband frequencies . I spent sometime on the Amazon website reading the reviews of the various scanners available. As a newbie I didnt want equipment with features that would never be used but at the same time I wanted a product brand which seemed to be popular with the airband fraternity.I decided to purchase the Bearcat EZI-33-XLT Radio Scanner from Amazon .
I am very pleased with this product using the scanner to monitor radio transmissions between aircraft and Bristol airport .Living on high ground in South Wales I have direct line of sight of this airport .I am able also to monitor radio transmissions of aircraft in transit to other airports .
The product was supplied with a rubber duck antenna which is useless for a home-based scanner, although it would probably be fine in the immediate vicinity of an airport.I use a dipole antenna which I constructed from information obtained from one of the specialist internet sites ;the performance being excellent.This scanner used with the ever popular Flight Radar 24 website is a real gem .Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 6 Feb 2013
Alex (Leeds England) - See all my reviews
For the price it's a tidy little piece of kit. Have tested it at airport and works fine. Can pick up air traffic overhead but not the airport (12 miles away). Just bought a Watson W-901 antenna to improve longer distance reception. Will see how it goes.
The only draw back is the fiddly tuning as there are no number keys. Once you get the hang of it though it's fine.
I'm only a beginner so this is just the job...very satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars First time scanner buyer, 13 Oct 2012
M. P. Cove (uk) - See all my reviews
This is my first scanner,seems to work v well,reception is v good it should do as I live 1 mile from end of runway at Gatwick,will use a lot more when i get used to it.Controls and guide seem fairly good and batt life good as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good for beginners, 20 Nov 2013
Didn't know what to purchase and i have stopped my attention on this scanner.
Good quality, very clear signal, enough options, easy to work with it!
It worth of buying it!
Recommended for beginners like me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with this product, 30 Mar 2013
This is the first scanner radio that I have owned, and I'm very pleased with it. It's a great product for beginners and very easy to use. I'v programmed in the frequencies for my local airport and radar station, which I found on the internet, and it picks up aeroplanes all day long.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Scanner for beginners and pros alike, 25 Nov 2014
I found this quite hard to get the hang of simply because I personally found the instructions hard to understand. When I eventually did, it was great as I am an aircraft enthusiast and live 5 nautical miles from Glasgow airport directly under the flight path. I have since sold the scanner as I upgraded, but for a beginner to the radio scanner world its a fantastic piece of kit with a surprisingly good range. Anyone familiar to the greater Glasgow area should know of the 'car park in the sky' up the back of paisley at the top of Gleniffer Braes. This looks over the airport and at that height, this scanner can pick up so much information, except the emergency services who use digital now a days (bummer). Definitely recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Air and scanner, 8 Feb 2013
Arrived very quickly and well packed. Works well and picks up a range of transmissions. A bigger aerial would pick up more weaker signals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact, sturdy., 30 July 2014
Compact, sturdy.
Reasonable easy to use...once you understand the terminology and buttons.
Sound quality is good.
Backlit screen is clear.
Has Air band AND ALSO +++ Military frequencies and FM Radio.
3 single-press favourite buttons are useful
PLUS... Lots of memories in each Band: bit clunky to access these but OK
(manual is not all that clear in places - seems incorrect in some areas?).

[Update]: battery life seems REALLY good. Accidently left on for 6-8 hours and still going strong on supplied 'basic' AA batts.

Takes time to input specific frequencies (no number keypad - have to use up/down buttons)... there is a cursor/edit option, but still slow.

But lots or memories (20 in in band I think!?), so once configured no need to input again - and you can scan JUST your favourites!

Overall, a great spec - especially in this price range!

However, I have not fully tested Airband etc...
Have picked up local repeater and FM only so far.
[update]: Have also picked up our (weak/cheap) two-way radios clearly, so should be fine...
Will try to listen to Norwich...
[update: picked up a few seconds of speech, twice - quite clear considering distance!!]
Will test it at Tibenham Airfield this w/e... and then update.
Did see other Uniden/Bearcat models in use by airshow enthusiasts - a good sign in itself - and sounded really clear.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›