5.0 out of 5 stars The quintessential 80s teen flick
Published on 22 July 2006 by m.bison

1.0 out of 5 stars doesn't work in the uk
can you send me a British copy? I can return your American version??? not happy as I can't watch here in Ulster!!!!!
Published 15 months ago by Shane

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The quintessential 80s teen flick, 22 July 2006
m.bison (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I love this film! I first saw it in the early 90s when I was in my early teens and it has stayed with me ever since. For me, this film is the ultimate 80s nostalgia trip; it is the text book example of a 80s teen flick. It's a travesty that when people think of 80s teen films, they immediately think of John Hughes's back catalogue, i.e. The Breakfast Club, Ferris Beullers Day Off etc. How this film got overlooked is beyond me. It has two of the biggest teen idols of the 80s (Corey Haim, Corey Feldman), a wide-eyed teenage Heather Graham, a sleek red Ferrari sports car and the entire film is based on one of the most pressing matters facing any teenager - learning to drive.

I watched this film when I was learning to drive and it's a great film to watch on the nerve-racking night before your driving test.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying for the extras, 30 Sept. 2013
Paul R. Sutton "Paul Sutton" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
I know it is more convenient to download films, in fact the first time I saw this was via a download, but on noting that the DVD has a ten-minute additional sequence of the original ending (albeit in vhs quality), and short interviews with the two stars, and a commentary by the director and the writer, I decided it was worth buying the DVD. I'm glad I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Defacto 80's Right Of Passage Movie, 21 Mar. 2014
Every teenage boy needs to watch this movie, if you are from 'The Goonies' or the 'Back to the Future' generation then this is a stock watch. Corey Haim and Feldman at their best, Heather Graham in her teenage years, just to hot for words. All I can say is I want to go to 'Archies'.

5.0 out of 5 stars fast delivery, 12 April 2014
excellent film hadn't seen film since the late 80s good to watch again both coreys were good together shame didn't continue there success

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic ! ! !, 21 May 2004
jason (England,uk) - See all my reviews
Great film , starring corey haim and corey feldman who's partner ship in films just keeps getting better and better.If u like this check out the lost boys and dream a little dream ,two other classic corey and corey films.This one follows les anderson (corey haim ) who fails his driving test but still steall's his grandfather's car for a date with his dream girl mercadies (heather graham )but everything that could possibly go wrong does as soon as deano (corey feldman)tag's along for the ride.This is a fun,cool,entertaining,funny movie about teenage life and should have a place in your video,dvd collection !

5.0 out of 5 stars made up, 24 April 2014
This review is from: License to Drive [DVD] [1988] (DVD)
Bought this for my son who is an avid Corey Feldman fan, he was very pleased with my gift brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars LICENSE TO DRIVE, 12 Nov. 2013
This review is from: License to Drive [DVD] [1988] (DVD)
Great film about teenage love and sport car. Great film from the USA. Like so many like this. Great film if you like this sort of thing like myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fav film of the 80's, 26 Jun. 2013
A. Pepler "Ali Peps" (KENT, UK) - See all my reviews
Dispatched quickly, watched it several times since having it :O) Corey Haim learning to drive and fails his test, he then steals his Granddad's car for a night out to impress a pretty girl... great adventure without todays special effects spoiling it. :O)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 3 April 2010
I was a BIG Corey Haim fan in the 80's and loved this film then. After watching it again I still love it. It is great! A fantastic 80's film that is fun and light hearted. It brings back some good memories of a teenage crush, lol.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific 80's Nostalgia Trip, 12 Aug. 2010
Mitun (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
'License to Drive' is a teen-comedy adventure that released in 1988 to widespread critical acclaim and was a surprise hit at the box-office. The movie was also successful on its home video release where it has since gained a cult following.

The film tells the story of Les Anderson (Corey Haim), a 16-year-old who desperately wants to get a driving license as it means the world to him. He also has a serious crush on a girl, Mercedes Lane (Heather Graham) who goes to the same school as him. Add his wisecracking best friend Dean (Corey Feldman) to the equation and you have a teen adventure to remember.

The movie in a nutshell is funny, innocent, entertaining, unwinding and clearly one of the best 80's feel-good teen movies. The pace of the movie is fast and the situations that are created in the movie are ones, which you can relate to, especially from your teen days. This connection combined with the comedy really strikes a chord with the viewer.

I watched the movie on VHS back in 1989 and it straight away became one of my favourite teen movies. I loved it and saw it so many times without becoming bored. I watched it recently on DVD and I can happily say it's equally as good as when I first saw it. It bought back a lot of good and cherished memories from the 80's, which was an era of its kind.

The movie stars The two Coreys (Corey Haim & Corey Feldman) who were born in the same year and were two popular actors in the 1980s. The Corey's became a brand and have made nine movies together and this was their second collaboration. They made a number of successful teen-orientated films in the late 1980's, which have deservedly become cult classics. An unknown fact about the film is that both actors auditioned for the role of the main character, Les Anderson, which went to Mr. Haim.

Both the Corey's are excellent in the film and share a natural chemistry that heightens the movies entertainment value. They are perfect for their respective roles and perform toe-to-toe. Watching the movie, it's hard to believe Haim is no longer alive. It is sad and he is missed but thankfully we've got this movie to remember him by.

Michael Manasseri (Charles) who plays the nerdy friend of Les is also a treat to watch. Heather Graham is nice and innocent. Another actor I enjoyed watching was Richard Masur (played the role of Les's dad) who very amusing as the frustrated father.

The direction provided by Greg Beeman is flawless, can't fault a man who's responsible for a classic.

The background music score by Jay Ferguson is foot-tapping and energetic. Truly 80's music that makes the movie more special.

The movie is the perfect feel-good teen movie for me because it effortlessly took me back to the fun times when I was 16 years old and kept me there for the duration of the movie.

On the day Haim passed away, Feldman stated in an interview that both him and Haim were working on a sequel to 'License to Drive' called 'License to Fly'. He also stated that there were plans for a trilogy with the third movie being called 'License to Dive'. Sadly, this is not possible anymore but in a way it's good for the original because it could've been ruined by a sequel that would've struggled to meet the high level set by its predecessor.

'License to Drive' is a FANTASTIC return to the 80's.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

License to Drive [DVD] [1988]
License to Drive [DVD] [1988] by Corey Haim (DVD - 2012)