5.0 out of 5 stars Great lens, much cheaper elsewhere though!
First and foremost this lens can be had for £120 elsewhere on the web - and from proper camera shops too.

The lens itself is good value albeit you get what you pay for - it has a plastic body and lens mount so won't stand a lot of bumps.

Published 8 months ago by C. Houghton

3.0 out of 5 stars not easy autofocus
Published 4 months ago by Macarena Sánchez Vega

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lens, much cheaper elsewhere though!, 20 Oct 2013
C. Houghton "Kit" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pentax 50mm f/1.8 SMC DA Lens (Electronics)

But it is SHARP, and produces a substantial improvement on image quality over a standard kit lens or budget tele-zoom. It produces nice bokeh and is an ideal portrait lens. It may not have the build quality of the Limited primes, but optically its very good.

The good:
- Its much cheaper (on other sites) than other 50mm primes for the K mount
- Its VERY sharp (even wide open) and produces great portrait shots. Ideal for low-light photography too.
- Nice bokeh

The bad:
- Don't expect too much from the build quality. Its plastic, so treat it with care
- Would be nice if it came with a lens hood

The ugly:
- Prone to chromatic aberrations in high contrast scenes

5.0 out of 5 stars Real bargain, 20 Dec 2013
This review is from: Pentax 50mm f/1.8 SMC DA Lens (Electronics)
On the web, it's called the "plastic wonder" and it deserves it's name.

Except for the noise when focusing (no SDM) the picture quality in low light is amazing for this price.

One word: GET IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good lens and a good price, 24 Jun 2014
This review is from: Pentax 50mm f/1.8 SMC DA Lens (Electronics)
Very good price and a good quality. The 50mm is must to have in a lens kit and this fits the puprose quite well

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good value, 27 May 2014
Paul (Northampton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pentax 50mm f/1.8 SMC DA Lens (Electronics)
To get a f/1.8 lens at an affordable price - what's not to like?

Ok, at 50mm it's limited, but opens up lower light photography without breaking the bank.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pentax 50mm f/1.8 lens., 20 May 2014
This review is from: Pentax 50mm f/1.8 SMC DA Lens (Electronics)
I bought to go with my K3, I chose Pentax own 50mm lens because they do make good glass. And I have not been disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Value For Money, 11 April 2014
This review is from: Pentax 50mm f/1.8 SMC DA Lens (Electronics)
Don't be put off by the price thinking this is a cheap, poorly constructed lens. The build quality is good even though it's a bit noisy when auto-focusing. It feels solid without being heavy. I bought this lens specifically for portraits but I think it will just stay on the camera. I have n't given it a proper work-out yet but the shots I've taken with it so far have all been pin-sharp with excellent depth of field. I'm glad I bought it. I am also very glad that Pentax were able to design a lens of such high quality and sell it at a price that comes within the price range of most amateur photographers.

3.0 out of 5 stars not easy autofocus, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: Pentax 50mm f/1.8 SMC DA Lens (Electronics)
It's necesary a very good autofocus system to use this kind of lenses and a camera with capability to store focus correction. This kind of lenses, with a very short deep of field, are very sensitive to front-back focus desviations and I've had to correct the back focus present in my copy with the camera, If your camera can do this, this lens have a very good quality-price ratio.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible value/IQ for money, 31 Jan 2014
This review is from: Pentax 50mm f/1.8 SMC DA Lens (Electronics)
I more or less knew what to expect based on other reviews but this lens still managed to surprise me. Light and unobtrusive yet sharp, sharp, sharp even at its full f1.8 aperture. Close focussing is actually better than with the older SMC-F50mm/f1.7 and the bokeh comes close to that of the DA*50-135mm/f2.8 - quite an accomplishment for a lens that costs about 15% of that epic star lens.

The price was excellent and delivery (free with super-saver) was within a week, give or take a day or two. All in all a winner from whatever way you want to look at it.

5.0 out of 5 stars 50 mm with a wonderfull bokeh, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: Pentax 50mm f/1.8 SMC DA Lens (Electronics)
This lens is very powerfull with the familly in the house cause the bokeh is magnificiant. Preferaly with manual focus cause The AF system works with noises and slowly,

2.0 out of 5 stars Worst focusing digital lens I've ever owned, 25 Nov 2013
Michael Shea (Algarve, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pentax 50mm f/1.8 SMC DA Lens (Electronics)
This lens is not a complete write-off, but its performance is totally inadequate. It was relatively cheap and I can't be bothered to return it and instead will work around its obvious shortcomings, as indicated by my review title.

I've taken the lens out in bright afternoon sunshine and returned with a small sample of photos taken at various apertures and using a range of focal distances. Around half of the pictures are wildly out of focus and even by Pentax standards that is an awful result. I've read of similar problems on a tested lens by the reputable review site lenstip.com and in the course of their testing they abandoned auto-focus altogether and used the manual focus ring, which is what I intend to do in future.

I have been bitterly disappointed by the quality control standards of the Pentax system and this will be the last product of theirs that I will ever purchase.

The only positive feedback I can give is that the colour and contrast from this lens is excellent. That's as far as it goes and I only mention it in the interests of balance. My advice is don't waste your money on it.

Postscript: Since my original comments, I have returned the lens to Amazon, who refunded my money promptly without fuss. At least I can rely on them.

Pentax 50mm f/1.8 SMC DA Lens