5.0 out of 5 stars Best kit at this price today
I have had the camera for over a month and have taken over 7000 photos with it, testing it extensively and this is my review based on my experiences. I am a hobby photographer, with about twenty five years' experience, coming from the old film SLRs, to a point and shoot and now I finally got the K30 as my first DSLR.

I did extensive research on this camera and...
Published on 8 Sep 2012 by Split-Pea Soup

3.0 out of 5 stars Manual in French, product sent from Italy
There is no seller feedback area for me so I guess this has to come via product. This product may, or may not be, good. I can't tell as the manual is written in French yet the seller is based in Italy. This is tedious in the extreme but not the end of the world. I will comment on the camera when I figure it out.
Published 4 months ago by Jules

5.0 out of 5 stars Best kit at this price today, 8 Sep 2012

I did extensive research on this camera and the competitors before I got it, and there are many negatives and positives for each brand, which I will not go into here, but I will tell you why I chose the K30.

The main reasons were the proven sensor technology from the K-5, the cheapest weatherproof and most robust DSLR ever, and an improved AF system over the K-5.
The weatherproofing and excellent pictures are what drew me back to the K30 every time I considered the competitors.

Please note, the 18-135mm kit is resistant to dust and water, whereas the 18-55 WR kit lens is only resistant to water, and not dust. The AL lens pictured in the photo here at Amazon may be neither, and I would enquire before purchase to make sure. I purchased the kit in Germany with the 18-55 WR kit lens because I wanted to get a couple of other lenses as well and the budget did not allow the 18-135mm kit lens.

If I had to do it again, I would probably go for the 18-135mm off the bat, though the 18-55 kit, for the very cheap price does not disappoint.

Please be aware that this camera, even with the 18-55 kit, is not a travel compact camera. The 18-135mm is a tad larger than the 18-55 too. It is a good-sized and weight DSLR. If you are looking for a point and shoot or something you can stuff in your pocket this is not the camera you want. If you put the 40mm pancake lens on it, it makes it much smaller and inconspicuous for street photography and general tourism. The limited pancake lens is stunningly amazing, but so is the price, however worth every penny. Just look at the reviews here on it.

For those who like it short and sweet, in no particular order:

The good:

+ photo quality is fantastic

+ AF is quick and usually quite precise

+ menu is super and it is very easy to change all the parameters, two wheels also make this very easy and from the INFO button, you can change any parameter pretty much on the fly.

+ Two wheels for settings, this makes manual changes to the settings very comfortable

+ Very good build quality, it just sits well in the hand, and it fells very solid and robust. You can hold it in your right hand all day without thinking it may drop.

+ 100% viewfinder!! I use this almost exclusively. It is really that great, this was a big plus point for me too coming from a SLR

+ the meter on this camera is very, very good, giving good shadow details even in harsh lighting situations

+ Weather-resistant!! I have had this camera out taking pictures twice while it was pissing rain and the camera was completely soaked...not a worry at all, it takes a licking!

+ Excellent dynamic range

+ good shots at high ISOs

+ Looks great, very sleek and arresting in its style.

+ Built-in flash is quite good surprisingly.

+ quick menu changes, almost no lag at startup, shut down or when flipping between menus

+ fine focus adjustment for lenses (usually only found on much more expensive models), this means, if your lens if focusing in front or behind your chosen focus point, you can adjust this with the camera to compensate. This is really good news, because it would require a trip back to the seller for cameras that do not do this.

+ built-in time-lapse photography...this is cool! You usually need an external gadget for this

+ Focus peaking for those who like to manually focus is really nice, though I do not use it much as I do not use LV as I mentioned above.

The bad:

- My camera has front focus issues, and each lens I have needs compensation to make them focus properly, but this is pretty easily done, and with such a camera should be done for every lens you buy anyway, but I would have liked to just be able to plug n play as it were. Kit = -8, Tamron = -5 and 40mm limited = -5

- Video quality is good, but sound in MONO...in other words, you do not want this camera if video is your main thing. This is a super duper still camera, but will leave you wanting in the video sound department. Sure, you can do sound externally, but there are DSLRs out there that do not require that for the same price. Why Pentax did not include Stereo sound on this is really beyond me...

- No HDMI out, again hits the video guys, not so much the still guys like me. I do take the occasional video but always download it to PC anyway and have never played one directly to my TV even on my camera that could. For me no big deal, but make sure you know what you are getting when you get it!

- The auto flash is wacky, sometimes giving too slow of a shutter speed when not necessary, but the pictures still come out fine.

What you should know before you buy this camera:

It takes excellent pictures, but it does require basic knowledge of ISO/Shutter Speed, and Aperture settings if you want to take full advantage of this camera's potential. It is aimed at the hobby enthusiast market, i.e. those who know about the basics, or are willing to invest their time to learn them, to take the fullest advantage of this camera. It does take great auto shots, but that is like buying a Ferrari and driving it only in the city at 30 MPH.

This camera screams to be manually treated and the multitude of settings allows you to do this step by baby step, or full blown, it is your choice, but do invest a bit of time to learn it if you get this camera, it is a swiss-army knife waiting to be put through the ropes and will not disappoint those who take the time to use it properly.

You should invest in a photo software such as Lightroom 4, or Photoshop to really take your photos to the next level. While the pics are great from the camera, you will end up wanting more from them and a good software will make that possible.

To take full advantage of this camera's potential you need to invest in good glass. The kit lens will do you fine for most outings, but if you want to get a little more serious, you will need good lenses to make this camera shine. I have and can warmly recommend the Pentax 40mm 2.8 Limited lens and the Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro lens as well. Both are SUPER and make every shot you take look like it belongs in a magazine. You can spend a lot more or a lot less, and I am not saying those lenses are the be all end all, but both are a good bang for the buck.
To conclude, you really cannot go wrong with this camera, it is just an excellent piece of kit that is solidly built an takes great pictures. I am extremely happy with my purchase and can only warmly recommend it!

p.s. if you want to see what kind of pictures I have taken with this camera, look up TJWest at flickr for my photostream.

I have surely forgotten things to this, and will be adding to it regularly as I go, until then, enjoy your camera!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent DSLR, beautiful pictures, nicely ergonomic., 2 May 2013
R. F. Stevens "richard23491" (Ickenham UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Pentax K30 is effectively the cost-reduced version of the K5. They share the same excellent 16Mpixel sensor and automatic picture taking system, but the K30 has fewer controls and with the DA-L 18-55mm kit lens is significantly lighter than the K5 with the optically identical DA-WR 18-55mm kit lens. The Amazon blurb above is correct when the camera is used with the DA-L lens options offered.

The pictures are very, very good on both, sufficiently so that having used the K5 intensively in a wide range of conditions for a year and a half, and the K30 for almost a month I still cannot really tell the difference between the end results. At first I thought the brand new K30 was better, but after cleaning some hints of dirt off the front of the K5 lens and then shooting some A-B tests on a range of subjects it was obvious that there was no significant performance difference.

Ergonomics
. It is just a fraction small for my hands, but SWMBO found the lighter K30 nestles nicely and all the right controls just fell under her finger tips. She was delighted with how easy it was to use.
. The `Green' function is sufficient for the vast majority of point-and-shoot photography that one is likely to attempt, ideal for a novice DSLR user, and makes amazingly good pictures from a wide range of conditions.
. The default auto-finding Auto-Focus is a bit of a pain - it prefers to focus on nearest objects and not my subject, but I simply selected centre zone on the menu and that works a treat, same as with the K5.
. Pressing the Review button to look at pictures taken also allows one to have the full ability to examine the picture in minute detail, with as much as 16x digital magnification (32x on the K5), and I still could not see a pixel structure from the sensor. Press it again, and immediately go back to shooting mode. Nice.
. Flash is a pop-up feature, and it is something I tend not to use unless absolutely necessary for controlled lighting, and I've only experimented with the flash enough to prove it works. With the sensitivity of this camera, even hand-held night-shoots come up trumps, which I find quite astonishing, and delightful.
. The shake-reduction is seamless in operation, and while I've not been aware of any side-effects from it, I have certainly noticed how sharp the hand-held images are.
. Reflex viewfinder. Ohh, it is so good to be able to see a proper real picture with the correct dioptre adjustment for my eyes, one that can be used in any light level, just like on my 35mm cameras. And it has all the relevant status info you could ever wish for, but I've not much used any of that info apart from the electronic-levelling meter to help me to keep verticals properly upright.
. LCD viewfinder. I've used this to review the shots, or for monitoring the video while using the tripod, or for silent shooting with no mirror flip, or the menu system when setting up the many options on the camera.
. Battery life (without flash) is good. The manual suggests between 300 and 400 pictures. The 7.8 Watt-Hour D-Li109 K30 battery is smaller than the 14 Watt-Hour D-Li90 K5 battery (both 7.2V) and the pin-out means it requires its own different charger, so I will not be able to swap spare batteries between the cameras.

The Body
. This is a fraction smaller than the K5 (but only by a few millimetres), definitely lighter and seems to be a very good fit for more delicate hands than mine. SWMBO has decided that it is perfect for her to use...
. It has extensive sealing to improve weather resistance, much the same as the K5. Some of the rubber covers are very difficult to re-fit, such as that for the cable release terminal socket. Other covers feel a bit insubstantial, such as those for the two compartments housing battery and the SDHC chip.
. The battery compartment is strange as it is shaped to also accommodate a carrier (an optional extra) for AA cells. I would have preferred it to merely take the larger D-Li90 battery pack.
. No HDMI connector, this is the only major drop off, as I use the one on the K5 for video playback and slide-shows on a big screen.
. No microphone socket. No big deal however, as I always use a separate sound recorder and only regard the camera sound as a guide track.
. No external DC power socket, not really necessary if you don't plan to use much video, except I do use the one on the K5 sometimes when shooting video and often when playing back the video.

The Lens
.The DA-L 18-55mm is very nice, and having a plastic body is lighter than the metal bodied DA-WR 18-55mm even though they share the same optics with eleven elements in eight groups. L = Light, WR = Weather Resistant. The L is NOT weather resistant, even though the K30 body claims to be.
. The zoom range of 3 to 1 seems to be not really enough, and I would have preferred more, perhaps the 7.5 to 1 DA-WR 18-135mm. But here with 16Mpixels it just does not matter, since one can simply crop out the unwanted picture and use the small part of real interest. It will still have useful detail.
. There is no manually focussed Macro facility, but it will auto-focus in Macro mode as close as 80mm at both ends of the zoom range.
. As usual, the lens-cap is a fiddly pain, even though the finger-tip grip is deeper than with the WR lens, and I expect to drop it and lose it real soon now, and be forced to fit a sacrificial UV filter instead. But I would very much prefer to keep it as standard.
. There is no lens hood supplied with this particular K30 with 18-55mm DA-L kit. The PH-RBA 52mm is available as an extra.
. The focus ring gear is always engaged to the motor when the L lens is fitted to the camera body, so manual focusing always has the resistance of also turning the motor. The WR lens disengages the focus motor except for during the shot if the autofocus is allowed to take over.
. It has a standard thread for 52mm filters.
. The equivalent focal length for a full sized 35mm image would be 27-82.5mm

Picture Quality
In a word; outstanding.
. The dynamic range is incredible, from moonlight to pointing at the sun. I've not been cruel (or stupid) enough to force it to look at the sun on any manual settings. It copes with ease on Auto, and gives very good pictures, usually selecting the best options to suit the scene.
. For the photo enthusiast who wants to go the extra mile, the top mode-selector switch and then the menu options for custom modes are very comprehensive, and one could spend months experimenting with them all.
. There are also menu options including fine adjustment of autofocus to compensate for different lenses, adding colour filters, auto correction of lens aberrations and geometry.
. The image sensor at 23.7 x 15.7mm is not quite a full 35mm frame (36 x 24mm), but at about 2/3 the linear size is a decent portion, so most of the standard lenses will give reasonable results (if they can be adapted to fit the body).
. Best quality Video is the full HD 1920x1080x25 (or x30) using the H.264 consumer standard. File size without breaks is limited to 4GB, for about 25minutes of full HD, but much longer for the lesser quality options.
. A 32GB SDHC class 10 chip allows almost 3000 stills (16Mpixels, 4928x3264) of the best quality. Depending on the amount of fine detail, the JPEG file sizes are typically between 8Mbytes and 11Mbytes.
. The optional RAW files are significantly bigger than the normal JPEGs but have the advantage of preserving the original sensor image and the meta-data listing the chosen image modifier options (eg aberration corrections, filters, auto-horizon, etc).

Accessories needed
I have added a camera pouch and a PH-RBA 52mm lens hood.
I use the same stock of 32GB SDHC class 10 memory chips as on all my other cameras.

Verdict
A fantastic entry level DSLR. A keen novice can start taking pictures without doing anything much more than fitting the lens, inserting a charged battery, adding a memory chip, taking off the lens cap, and switching it on. If the novice reads the comprehensive manual, then there is encouragement for his development, and the camera has the capabilities of anything from full auto to full manual operation for a very wide range of applications to match his growing ambition.

Addendum. 21st April 2014
I've recently added a 55 to 300mm DA ED WR weather resistant Pentax telephoto zoom lens to our camera kit and was delighted to find that the 'AF Fine Adjustment' did not need adjusting between the two lenses, in fact both were best in the default '0' setting.
The new zoom also works just as well with my K5.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great camera at an incredible price, 10 Dec 2012
It's just a k-5 with cheaper case, without the top LCD panel. But it retains its best qualities: an incredible sensor, the weather resistant properties and a fantastic viewfinder. On the plus side, it can be powered with 4 AA batteries with a non included accesory. I bought the Maksina brand one which just does the job.

The only flaw I found so far, a minor one, is that the memory card isn't too easy to extract, due to the rubber sealing of its compartment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good in low light, 3 Jan 2013
Bought this just before Christmas 2012 and have since taken a good couple of hundred shots with it. It's a good camera, solidly build, and feels like a real quality product. As other reviews have noted, it has excellent image quality and produces very little noise even in low light conditions. Once you get the hang of it, the interface is very intuitive and I am happily using manual / bulb modes most of the time. That said, the auto and scn presets produce some very good results. Yes, the auto-focus is noisy but I don't really care about that. The standard 18-55mm lens does leave something to be desired and seeing as the camera body is allegedly weather-proof (I have only used mine in very light rain but it was fine) then it could make sense to get a WR lens, rather than the bog-standard kit. I'd also recommend a shutter remote to make the most of the camera's IR remote sensor, and a tripod to take advantage of its excellent low-light capabilities. If I had two minor bugbears about the camera, they would be these - first of all battery life hasn't proved to be as good for me as other reviewers claim it can be - but then the facility for putting in AA batteries is useful. Secondly, the manual that comes with it is less than helpful when it comes to explaining how to get the most of the camera - for example it has several HDR settings but tells you almost nothing about them. But overall, I felt that this was a great buy for the price I paid for it (Dec 2012) and I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars good but awful service, 19 Jan 2013
This review is from: Pentax K-30 DSLR Camera Body Only - Black (16MP, CMOS APSC Sensor) 3 inch LCD (Camera)
This is a rugged camera that can still out perform the competition. I shoot mainly in manual and the two control dials are a massive advantage. high ISO was a massive surprise although the live view performance isnt great. I never shoot in live view and i never shoot in video so the lack of a HDMI out put dosent bother me. The camera is advertised as rugged and it defiantly is. Mine has been out in rain sleet and snow, i had landed on it several times while mountain biking and skiing and it is still as good as new. The auto focusing is more than up for the job. image quality is about the same as a nikon d5100, and d7000 while it blows a canon 600d out of the water. My only complaint is that the viewfinder is a little bit dull, It has 100% coverage but it dose annoy me at times. I would strongly recommend this camera to anyone who is looking for a camera at this price point and especially is you do any shooting out side.

Since i wrote the review I have has a few issues mainly with service. I turned on the camera one day and it refused to take a photo, no matter what i did it simply didn't want to take a photo. I then got in contact with pentax, who told me to send it down to jpservices, which I did. Within six days my camera was back with the fault fixed BUT the viewfinder was filthy and the sensor was covered in rubbish that showed up in photos and made them unusable. I then emailed the company and they replied once and then nothing for a few days. I sent them multiple emails and they simply didn't respond, so i phoned them. They told me to send it in again, which i did and i got it back in around six days but when i tested it the sensor hadn't even been touched while the viewfinder was clear of crap it looks as though their is a finger print on the focusing screen. So Another phone call and more emails and i have to send it in yet again. I still haven't got it back. This has been going on for around four weeks, and is starting to make me change my mind about pentax.

I have since got it back and the sensor is clean but the viewfinder still isn't right, it is usable though so i am not sending it back in. It isn't worth the postage

Overall it is still a great camera but the service is truly awful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pentax K-30 - mid-level DSLR with best in class image quality, 28 Sep 2012
I've only had the K-30 for a few days now, still exploring the multitude of functions and features, but out of the box it's is a really great photographic tool and it performs much the same as the more expensive K-5.

The K-30 has a great set of still shooting features, and is passable for movies, but the overriding benefit is the truly excellent image quality. From ISO 100 - 800 JPEG images are pin-sharp and noise free whilst from ISO 1600 - 3200 there is plenty of detail and noise just adds a subtle graininess. The RAW files are great to work with as you can pull out extra detail out of them in Photoshop, and the camera saves RAW files in the universal Adobe DNG format. You can also convert the last JPEG image taken back to RAW with the press of a button which is something very useful and unique.

In terms of handling, the sculpted K-30 is comfortable to hold and shoot with. It is slightly heavier than the usual `Canikon' especially with my Sigma 17 - 70 mm lens, but it feels well-made and solid, certainly not 'platicky' like the Sony SLTs and of course it's weather-sealed. Having dual thumbwheels is something that is not usual on an a sub-£1,000 camera and is a real bonus. The rear LCD on back is bright and clear with 920K dots but isn't hinged like most of the competition unfortunately. The viewfinder is bright and gives 100% coverage with a good degree of magnification, Live View is nice to have and AF is pretty snappy under almost all conditions.

There are a number of in-camera options to auto-correct distortion and lateral CA, and a huge variety of digital filters such as Extract Colour or Toy Cam, plus a built in HDR mode that takes 3 photos at different exposures and combines them in camera to give an image with higher dynamic range.

Overall, a fantastic camera with semi-Pro features and build quality for entry level DSLR prices, image detail is really very good with a good lens. I bought the body only and paired it up with a quality Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC. Other benefits include Shake Reduction, 6fps continuous shooting and with an adapter it can take AA batteries. In addition, there are a huge number of auto-focus Pentax lenses available that are backward compatible with the K-mount.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best kit at this price today, 7 Sep 2012

For those who like it short and sweet, in no particular order:

The good:

+ photo quality is fantastic

+ AF is quick and usually quite precise

+ Excellent dynamic range

+ good shots at high ISOs

+ Looks great, very sleek and arresting in its style.

+ Built-in flash is quite good surprisingly.

The bad:

What you should know before you buy this camera:

4.0 out of 5 stars Pentax K-30 Digital SLR Camera, 24 Jun 2013
Pentax K-30 Digital SLR Camera: Excellent DSLR camera that delivers a lot of features and performance

Pros:
Detail-rich images
Noise-free images all the way from from ISO 100-1600
Stabilised sensor
HDR mode
Weather-sealed body
Li-ion or AA batteries

Cons:
Slow contrast AF system which detracts from using the Live View mode
No HDMI out

Rating: 4/5

5.0 out of 5 stars initial comments, 5 Dec 2012
Miss Robinson - See all my reviews
I've only just bought this camera so I am going to make a few comments initially and may add some more later. The reason I got it is because I was very impressed with a photo taken by a Pentax K10 and the deal from this particular seller is very good as it is not too pricey and includes the wr zoom lens(wr = water resistant and you should really buy the wr lens as the camera body is wr too and this was another big factor in making me decide to buy it as previously if I was going on a big expedition I would take two cameras - one waterproof, one not). The camera even plus the lens is small enough to fit into my tuff luv pink camera bag(yes I am a girl) and also another girlie girl observation is it was very easy to fit the lens - my first dslr which I still have is a Nikon D3000 and it is very difficult to fit/remove my 18-200mm lens which I partly bought so i would never need to remove it - really it is that difficult). So far i have only tried auto in really bad light(our sittingroom at night)and was impressed - going out to do some night time photography outside next week so stay tuned......

I took photos of lights wrapped around ordinary trees outside our local shopping centre -on auto still - and was very pleased - you didn't seem to need a tripod.

A couple of days later I took photos at a family gathering with an old film camera lens 28-200 mm from Pentax - these old lenses will actually work - the photos turned out well!

I have now used the camera to video our Christmas celebrations - I have read that people don't like the sound because it's mono - that's not what I noticed - I noticed the sound was muffled at the start of a clip before it 'warmed up'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly excellent camera, 13 Aug 2013
Mr. R. W. Stringer (Boston, Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
So i've had the camera for about five days now and can say that it's a brilliant camera. I've had various cameras before, to name a few, Olympus E500, Olympus E510, Nikon D5100, Konica Minolta A200 (slr like compact camera) and the Pentax beats them all for image quality. The menus are very well laid out too, and as long as you use the built in noise reduction, the camera seems to have less noise than any camera i've owned personally. The sheer resolution of the K30 is magnificant, with the 18-5mm lens images are sharpest when an aperture of F8 and a focal length of 35mm is used. The 6 frames per second that the camera can shoot is very fast, I choose to shoot this way virtually always apart from when i'm taking a distant landscape photo and have the camera on a tripod. The auto white balance is always a little cold so you'll probably need to adjust the photos in Adobe Photoshop or another photo editing software, but the auto white balance isn't as cold as the Nikon D5100, that camera shot very cold pictures, even when you adjusted the colour balance in the menu settings.

Anyway, overall, the K30 is fantastic, definately the best camera out there for image quality at this price range. I even tested it against a Canon Eos 6D and preferred the K30. Normally I use Sandisk SDHC cards but seeing as the raw DNG file size with the K30 can be as high as 25mb per raw photo and Sandisk cards can be pretty expensive, especially the 32gb and 64gb cards, I chose to use a Sony SDHC I 32gb class 10 94mb/s card instead. The Sony 32gb 94mb/s cards are on Amazon for sale at about £28 if I remember correct but on that card you'll be able to hold about 1,200 raw DNG files or more than 2,500 JPEG files which is more than enough for anyone to ever worry about. I bought such a big card so I can take loads of photos on trips away.