4.0 out of 5 stars A Monster of a Debut
This is a highly addictive album that has been on repeat in my car for over a week now. The delicious harmonies created by the male and female leads conjure up flavours of the Mumford and Sons, Fleet Foxes and Arcade Fire and create an ethereal feel to this fine debut. If you like any of the above then this is well worth checking out.

Highlights include the...
Published on 4 Sep 2012 by S. C. Martin

3.0 out of 5 stars strange - instant appeal but fades fast
Nice to hear something different - the music world is VERY samey so individuality is a great thing and this band is very enjoyable for a couple of listens. Lovely interplay between instruments with trumpet lifts. Much better live, see youtube "Of Monsters and Men- Coachella (full set)" , no doubt will be Glastonbury's 2013 surprise best band.

Regretfully once...
Published 18 months ago by Tim

4.0 out of 5 stars A Monster of a Debut, 4 Sep 2012
S. C. Martin (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Head is an Animal (Audio CD)

Highlights include the singles `Dirty Paws' and `Little Talks' and the band is definitely at their best when in full folk flow (or flowk as I will now call it). That is not to say that the slower, more introspective songs are not interesting or well crafted. Indeed, the song 'Love Love Love' with the line `you love, love, love when you know I can't love,' hints at a darker side to the band's writing and is a welcome contrast on this generally upbeat and pop-fuelled album.

All in all this is a fine debut. I am just disappointed that I missed them live in London recently. Ah well, I'm sure they will be touring on the shores of this green isle again in the near future. Here's hoping!

5.0 out of 5 stars Indie-Folk at its finest, 4 Oct 2012
Mr. Robert J. Lowton "rOBERT l" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Head is an Animal (Audio CD)
OMAM is one of those rare albums buried deep beneath the thousands of offerings that come into the charts yearly. In one sense I am glad the band hasn't yet reached acclaimed status in the UK as finding it alone is worth more than any chart position.

It's one of those albums that can be played in 15 years from now and never gets old, fans of Neutral Milk Hotel and Sigur Ros will instantly connect to this band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing Feel Good Music, 28 Aug 2012
D. Reynolds (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Head is an Animal (Audio CD)
I first heard of 'Of Monsters and Men' following the announcement of the Reading & Leeds 2012 line-up and gave them a listen and was instantly hooked on their album. 'Dirty Paws', being the first song on the album, had me hooked as it compares it to Arcade Fire with other influences apparent throughout the rest of the record including Mumford and Sons and Sigur Ros. Despite this, they manage to create their own unique sound with Nanna and Ragnar's vocals being terrific all throughout. I'd pick out a few favourites but the whole album is just brilliant.

They're also a fantastic live band as proven at Leeds Festival and will probably become very popular in the future.

It's so refreshing to hear these guys being played out on the radio and seeing them in the charts as opposed to Nicki Minaj, Rihanna and all the other trash that is 'popular' these days.

5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new talent, 5 Aug 2012
I heard this band on Dermot O'leary's show on Radio 2, and first play of 'Dirty Paws' had me hooked. That was enough to make me want the whole album, and honestly there is not one duff track on it. It's a lovely refreshing sound and a bit like Mumford & Sons. Definitely worth a punt.

4.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, 19 Sep 2012
This review is from: My Head is an Animal (Audio CD)
A varied but always absorbing album. Some beautifully haunting tracks and some up beat, that work well as an overall album

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Album - worth listening to on repeat!!!, 27 Oct 2012
This review is from: My Head is an Animal (Audio CD)
Am enjoying the current wave of upbeat folk and Of Monsters & Men is a great band with good camaradarie that comes through in their songs. Have seen them live a few times now and never tire of listening to them or watching them. Love this album - poetic and upbeat. Great songs - all of them! My fave is King and Lionheart but each one is a quality track - that I can personally listen to over and over again. I'm a bit old-school and enjoy listening to an album in its entirety and I can do that with this album without any urge to skip forward. Glad to see they're getting the recognition they deserve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 4 May 2012
I have had this album for 2 weeks now and i can't stop listening to it. This icelandic band are very unique in the sounds they produce and their vocals intertwine on a new level.

I highly recommend it!

5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD- highly recommended, 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: My Head is an Animal (Audio CD)
After their hit Little Talks in the chart I thought I would spare a fiver to see if they are a one hit wonder- I can happily say there not! Each song is strong within itself and "grows on you"- I am actually listening to it now! What a brilliant little band, lets just hope they keep making relaxing, catchy and brilliant music!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 30 Aug 2012
D. Allton (Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Head is an Animal (Audio CD)
Saw them at this years Reading festival, first thing I did when I got back was by this album. It's brilliant and they are extremely good live as well

5.0 out of 5 stars Best foreign folk band to hit the UK in recent years, 29 Aug 2012
This review is from: My Head is an Animal (Audio CD)
This is a superb debut album from Of Monsters and Men. At first when you read their bio you wonder if there's anything new they could possibly have to offer- a group of European folk rockers who became known by winning Iceland's equivalent to the X Factor are surely nothing special. How wrong anyone is to think this! After watching their energetic set at Leeds this year I listened to the rest of the album (having only heard little talks and dirty paws). It did not disappoint- 5/5.

My Head Is An Animal [+Digital Booklet]