Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 May 2014
I heard about this excellent pianist last year at the Edinburgh Festival where his solo playing of Debussy was getting 5 star reviews. I was delighted that he has recorded Debussy's Preludes Books 1 and 2 for DG in 2012 and decided to get them. Pierre-Laurent Aimard's style of playing is strong and firm but sensitive when he wants to be and is very well recorded by DG's engineers. "The
girl with the flaxen hair" is one of the most famous Preludes but Aimard also brings great clarity with many others I didn't know before.
on 26 May 2013
Excellent playing, excellent recording and notes. Also very convenient to have all 24 preludes contained in a single disc. Zimmerman 's version is in 2 discs.
on 6 October 2012
I have been waiting a long time for Aimard to record the Debussy Preludes and I have not been disappointed. There is nothing sentimental in this performance and the limpid playing captures the complex textures in the writing. We are introduced to the enormous variety of emotional register in the preludes, ranging from melancholic, dramatic, lyrical to comic. If, like me, you love these pieces, this is an essential addition to your collection.
on 9 November 2015
These performances are sensitive and engaging. However, I find the very prominent breathing extremely distracting and annoying. Why on earth the sound recordist chose to include it, I don't know. It rather spoils an otherwise excellent CD. If such noises don't bother you, then I would whole-heartedly recommend this recording.
on 27 April 2016