E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial [DVD] [1982]
Format: DVDChange
Price:£5.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 3 November 2002
ET is, without question, Steven Spielberg's acknowledged masterpiece.
Originally released to stunned cinema audiences worldwide in 1982, ET is a movie containing all of the basic elements required to make it a box office hit. There are comic moments (like ET blowing bubbles in the bath), there are moments of suspense (like when ET tried to run back to his spaceship and we are all wondering if he'll make it), there are haunting and harrowing moments (like the bit when the men in spacesuits invade the house) and there are pure emotional moments (for example, the final scene when ET says goodbye).
The 20th anniversary edition has been digitally remastered and a few extra scenes have been added. John Williams has also brushed up his award-winning score and added a few new tracks to the soundtrack, available on CD.
The DVD contains plenty of interesting and informative extras - especially the option of watching the movie in sync with John Williams' live performance of the score from the premiere at the LA Shrine in March 2002. This basically means that as you watch the movie, the music you hear will be 'live', so the speak - you can ever hear the amazing standing ovation during the end credits! There is also a featurette on reuniting the cast and Spielberg himself, who talk openly and emotionally about their experiences of filming and the effect ET had on their lives.
This DVD is an absolute must for any respectable DVD collection. In my opinion, ET is the greatest film made since the Hollywood boom.
on 23 March 2014
This limited edition steelbook is great!

I was worried about it arriving with a bit of damage, as steelbooks are really delicate, and especially when the covers are silver like this one. but it arrived in perfect condition, thank you Amazon!

Now the film itself is a classic as we all know, so I'm not going to bore you all with a review.

This edition comes with both a Digital copy and an Ultraviolet copy, it also comes with a typical steelbook jaycard/sleeve with all the information needed.

The steelbook itself comes with great front and back artwork, with an amazing picture on the back. It also has great inside artwork, with a picture that uses both inside areas/sides to become one perfect image of E.T flying over trees with Elliott and his bike!

This version is the 1982 original E.T, not the 20th anniversary edition. It has been completely restored with a great transfer to blu ray, the sound and picture are one of the best have seen.

The best thing about this edition is the extras!!! As well as other things, the most interesting include:

A Steven Spielberg and E.T documentary,
The evolution and creation of E.T documentary (which is great)
The Music of E.T with John williams
The 20th Anniversary Premiere (which brings back all the actors to comment on E.T's success over the years)

Technical Information:

VIDEO, 1080p widescreen 1.85:1
AUDIO, English DTS HD Master Audio 7.1 / French DTS HR 7.1 / French DTS Surround Stereo 2.0 / Dutch DTS Surround 5.1
SUBTITLES, English SDH / French / Dutch / Arabic / Ukranian / Cantonese / Korean

Overall a great buy, very happy and I give it a 5 star rating!
on 25 December 2012
Fantastic quality and classic just got clearer, never dates, love the collectable cover

Buy it today you will not be dissapointed
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 January 2015
WOW!!! this is a great steelbook, and E.T. deserves nothing less than this wonderful release. When I was a very young boy my brother in law took me and my twin brother to watch E.T. at the cinema and we just both loved it, you could say this was my best film I have seen when I was growing up. The amazing thing about this film is, it never seems to age and feel dated, if anything it just gets better with age. Me and my brother have a debate he says "JAWS" is Steven Spielbergs best film but E.T. just edges it for me.(PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND TELL ME WHAT DO YOU THINK?) The Blu-ray and sound is just perfect and the score which was done by john Williams is outstanding.

***FEATURES BELOW***

Steven Spielberg and E.T.
The E.T. Journals
A look Back
The Evolution and Creation of E.T.
The E.T. Reunion
The Music of E.T.: A Discussion with john Williams
The 20th Anniversary Premiere
Designs Photographs and Marketing

Blu-ray comes with UV and Digital copy
review image review image review image review image review image
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
ahhhhh, remember when Spielberg was all about fun and feel good? No? Well check out E.T!

Love my horror and gore. Love my serious stuff. Love my cheesy action movies. But E.T still has a special place in my movie collection. Never has it stopped making me smile and laugh with nothing other than visuals. Hard to come by these days.

The BD transfer is outstanding again. Not quite the equal of Jaws but knocking on the door. Worthy of upgrading from the DVD in a millisecond!

Audio: English DTS HD-Master 7.1; French DTS-HR 7.1; English and French DTS Surround 2.0; Dutch DTS Surround 5.1

Subs: English SDH; French; Cantonese; Dutch; Korean; Arabic; Traditional Mandarin; Ukranian

Running time: 114mins

I'm trying to confirm that it is actually region free. The disc isn't marked up with any region. Nothing on the box to suggest it is region locked. Blu-ray.com suggest it's region free. Everything suggests it is region free!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 28 December 2012
Well have always been debating whether to get this or not since it was released; you know how it is something you once loved to watch re-watch it and you end up not liking it.
Granted ET is a classic you can't deny that. But with my taste greatly changed as I do like the darker material. But purchased this after the price was good and a keen Blu ray steelbook collector I couldn't resist.
The steelbook is nice better than some that have come out, the picture is brilliant, this is what blu rays are for. None of that half done high definition transfers that barely look better than its dvd counterpart. Though with the various content out their they could have put more special features on. though can't complain with the ones you get. And at least you get a digital copy as well fed up with that pain in the backside Ultra-violet but no dvd copy. Now i will stop moaning now.
I don't see the point in reviewing the actual film as everyone must have heard of it.
But it's a film that will bring back memories for a lot of people; it does for me.
As i loved this when i was growing up. It made me smile and gave me that joyful goosebumps you get when your young and you watch a feelgood movie. but thankfully ET isn't your average feel good movie. it doesnt lean to trying to overly convey a message.
Yes happy ending and all that; But this is a must for family viewing.
Nothing like a sunday afternoon snacks curled up on the sofa and travel through childhood.
Special Features:

The E.T. Journals: In this all-new bonus feature, retrace the day-to-day experience of creating E.T from never-before-seen, behind-the-scenes footage shot by Academy Award®-winning cinematographer John Toll. This piece will give viewers a unique feeling of being on-set and living the excitement of what it was like to make E.T.

Steven Spielberg & E.T.: Watch an all-new interview with Steven Spielberg, as he reflects back on the film and discusses his experience working with children as well as his overall and current perspective on E.T.

Deleted Scenes

· A Look Back: A special insider's look into the making of E.T. featuring interviews with Steven Spielberg, the cast, and others intimately involved with the film.

· The E.T. Reunion: The cast and filmmaker reunite to discuss their thoughts on the impact of the film.

· The Evolution and Creation of E.T.: From idea to screenplay, through casting and making the film.

· The Music of E.T.: A Discussion with John Williams: Interviews and footage of the long-standing relationship between John Williams and Steven Spielberg.

· The 20th Anniversary Premiere: Composer John Williams played the score of E.T. live at the Shrine Auditorium for the re-release premiere of E.T. This featurette gives us a behind the scenes look at this presentation.

· Original Theatrical Trailer
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
E.T. stands as one of the greatest fantasy films, and also Steven Spielberg's best, along with Saving Private Ryan. It is a pity the 2002 version seems so predominant now, and I am certainly with those who want the original version without the new one, which it seems to be impossible to buy. You have to get the 3-DVD boxset to get it at all ... I was unaware of this as I watched the copy I have, although it did occur to me that some of the sequences were not in the film I had on VHS, and that they were inferior, particularly the bathroom scene. E.T. looks a lot less good in these bits and his mystery is severely undermined, I would say ... This is a shame, because the rest of it is so brilliant and the presentation of E.T. himself was wonderfully done, not showing us too much, and keeping the lighting dim. There is a real sense of magic in his appearance, such that you really don't object to the sentimentality (as an adult), you just go with the wonder of it. I love the part where he creates a solar system in the air using fruit, and where he hides among the cuddly toys to avoid detection. At the same time, it works on an epic scale, using the big screen to full effect and making some comment on marital break-up, middle-class life in California, science and ethics, and the loss of imagination that occurs between childhood and adulthood that is seen as a sad reduction. There is also some comment implied on the different stages of childhood as represented by Elliot and his younger sister and older brother. E.T. can tap into the child in any of us (who should never be entirely extinguished, perhaps, in that we should not lose touch with our younger selves if we can help it!), and it is hard not to look at him with a kind of love. The film does pull at the heart strings, but somehow it really works - who can ever forget the sight of E.T. in the ditch? I was already 17 when I first saw it, but it made an indelible imprint on me!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
ET was such a well-made film when it first made its appearance at the cinemas, with such wonderful characterization and an endearing extra terrestrial, who made such an impact on cinema audiences at the time.

Filmed in storyline order, which was a rare undertaking at the time, as it was more cost-effective to film in terms of locations regardless of the sequence of events, the (mainly) child actors were able to portray realistic emotions. Consequently they were able to relate to the situation in a most believable way and entrance the audience with the sincerity of their acting.

On a 50 inch Full HD plasma television screen, the visual quality is absolutely superb, when played via a blu-ray player and when viewed by my own children so many years after I first saw the film myself, it is a real pleasure to witness their response.

This is a timeless film, which is a credit to the film-making industry and from my viewpoint- and that of my family, has well and truly stood the test of time.
on 10 May 2004
I was thrilled to receive this in my Christmas stocking last December. E.T. remains one of my favourite films ever - I vividly remember going to see it with my parents and sister when I was 8 years old, and being utterly captivated and obsessed.
I've actually only seen it about 4 times in my life. I like to come to it fresh at each viewing. I love it because I think it's a wonderful story, flawlessly told.
I was a little disappointed by the remastered version - I don't agree with Spielberg's assertion that the changes are discreet and almost unnoticeable. For someone who has only seen the film a handful of times, I could spot the changes a mile away.
I'm not a fan of CGI - I think it makes many modern films look utterly fake and soulless. The beauty of E.T. is that the special effects were merely secondary to this timeless tale, and very adequete. Touching them up makes the film a teeny bit blander. What harm to leave them as they were? The original film has aged beautifully. I especially take umbrage to dickeying with E.T.'s face - making him too cutesy and removing much of his poignancy. Seeing the extra bathroom scene was interesting, but I agree with its original deletion. It just didn't sit with the tone of the rest of the film - it was unnecessarily comical.
It was good to see Spielberg's new director's cut, but I'm surprised at him for feeling the need to alter his most personal film. It was perfect the first time - so why change it, and water it down slightly?
This 20th anniversary box set does include the original film, though, and I've more or less decided to only watch this version in future. I also enjoyed all the little documentary pieces about the making of the film and the reunion of the cast. So I am still thrilled to have the DVD - just a little underwhelmed by the new and 'improved' version!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 24 October 2012
Brilliant!

I'm well happy with this purchase.The blu ray transfer is fantastic. Crisp,sharp picture,with brilliant sound. Oh, and in case you are wondering, this is not the silly altered version,when all guns were replaced with walkie-talkies.This is the original,how Speilberg wanted it to be.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...