Published 13 months ago by Mr. J. Ramsden

3.0 out of 5 stars Powergen battery 'charger'
Published 12 months ago by C. Paver

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable for smartphone owners - tablet owners should get something bigger than 6000mAh, 1 Mar 2013
Mr. J. Ramsden (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought the 6000mAh model after one too many days where my phone (HTC One S) had gone flat and was unable to find a free power socket. If you are carrying this power pack with you, it's as simple as plugging in your phone and turning the pack on. It will charge your phone as fast as a regular 5W wall charger, and they seem true to their word when they say you'll get 2-3 full phone charges from one charge of the power pack.

The 6000mAh model is especially convenient for Android owners - there is a built-in cable with a micro-USB plug, so you don't even need to bring your cable with you. They also include a selection of cables for other devices such as iPhones and PSPs, but you'll need to remember to bring the cable with you for these. You can use your own charging cables via the USB connection. It can also charge most tablets, but probably slower than you'd expect - this power pack only outputs 5W (1A at 5v) while tablet wall chargers usually provide 10W (2A at 5v).

You may have noticed that there are many sizes and capacities available from PowerGen and other companies. When I was choosing, I wanted something small and light enough that I could chuck in my bag until I needed it, but had a large enough capacity to be useful - if the power pack itself is always in need of charging then that somewhat defeats the point! After my experience, my advice would be:

2200mAh (from other companies): Will probably give your smartphone one full charge. You'll have to remember to charge it again every time you use it. Only get this if you want something as light as possible, or if you don't have a bag/large pocket to carry it around in.. Next to useless for tablets.

5200-6000mAh: Will give your smartphone 2-3 charges. A little heavier and larger than your phone, but still small enough to carry about. My recommendation for a day or two of intensive smartphone use. Not recommended for tablets since it will still run flat quite quickly, but will give your iPad about 1/3 of its charge when you ask it to.

8400-9000mAh: Should give your phone 4-5 charges. Since it is heavier and larger than the 6000mAh model, this is probably a little overkill if you are buying it for your phone only - though it's probably a good buy for music festivals when you'll be away from power sockets for several days at a time. For tablets, this is the first serious contender. It has a 10W outlet so should charge your tablet quite quickly, and even the enormous battery on the new iPad should be more than half filled with this.

12000mAh: Definitely overkill for phones, unless you are going to be away for many days. Best option for extending the battery life of your tablet, though given that it seems as big as a pocket dictionary, it will take a little commitment to carry it around with you!

Specifically back to the 6000mAh model, this is my experience with the various devices I have tried it with:

Smartphones with microUSB (i.e. most Androids): Perfect! Built-in cable, no adaptor required. Charges as quickly as at home.

iPod/iPhone with old style 30 pin connector: Perfect! You can either use your own USB cable or the one included.

iPod/iPhone with new Lightning connector: Charges no problem, but you'll need your own cable.

iPad: Will be slow with this 5W power pack, but it does get there. Generations 1 and 2 charge well since they don't have an especially large battery. Generations 3 and 4 have much larger batteries so you will only see about 1/3 charge replenishment, so I'd recommend a larger power pack than 6000mAh. Generations 1-3 can use the included cable or your own; for the 4th gen you'll need your own USB cable.

Asus Transformer: NOT officially supported by this charger since the Transformer likes to have up to 15V of charging pressure, not the 5V provided by power packs. After trying, the keyboard indeed does refuse to charge. If you try and charge the screen by itself, it will appear not to charge too. However, if you leave it alone and turn the screen off, it DOES charge very slowly back up to 100%.

To sum up, if the size meets your requirements then this is a well-built, good quality little power pack. Highly recommended for all out-and-about smartphone owners.

================================

UPDATE 28/1/14 - 1 year on (nearly!)

It's been 11 months since I bought this power pack. It's seen a slight drop in capacity - I would say that it just about manages 2 charges of my smartphone now, whereas I'm sure it used to manage 3. And it has developed a slight issue where it only charges itself back up to around 2/3 capacity when charging via a standard 5W mains charger before it reckons it's had its fill, but this can be worked around by finishing it off via computer USB (which I believe is slower, at 2.5W?). But still, considering how much I've thrown it around and abused it, for some no-brand chemicals-on-a-wire this is all very forgivable, and if it did eventually die altogether then I would certainly be replacing it like-for-like.

But what has struck me is simply how amazingly convenient it is. While I see my friends out and about killing their GPS, using near-worthless battery saver apps, setting their screens to be imperceptibly dark and refusing to use their phones at all mid-afternoon onwards, all for the promise of trying to eke out another measly hour of battery life for the journey home, I am free from all of that. Free from remembering which coffee shops provide power sockets, despite being full of obnoxiously loud tourists. Free to play Spotify on the train, instead of just pretending and sticking my earphones in. Free to be the cool guy in the pub who checks every fact on Wikipedia. The day when our finest scientists manage to break physics and produce a battery with the power of an atomic bomb in our pockets may happen, but it's a long way off yet. Until then, for as long as we demand supercomputers in our pockets to play Asphalt 8 a hundred metres below London and to Instagram from on top of Everest, you can trust this little power pack to see you through to the end of the day.

5.0 out of 5 stars In-flight refuelling for your phone, 17 May 2012
Peter (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
There are times when your mobile phone battery just doesn't last long enough. If you're away from a power source for a few days, you either need to ration your mobile phone use or just give up using it when it runs out. If, like me, you go to music festivals, you have the option of paying someone quite a lot of money to charge your phone, assuming you feel comfortable with leaving it with them. What you need is a portable charger of your own.

There are some phone chargers that take ordinary AA batteries, but of course they can cost a fortune in disposable batteries. The PowerGen, which was supplied to me for review by its Amazon distributor, is the first rechargeable portable charger I've seen, and it does away with all the disadvantages of other types of external chargers.

So, when you're planning to go away, you charge your phone and you also charge the PowerGen. It charges using a USB port in about 5 hours if you use a 1 Amp supply (it holds about 5.2 Amp hours). Most computer USB ports deliver less current, and so take longer to charge it, so it's best to use a mains-to-USB adapter, such as your Kindle, iPhone or iPad mains charging accessory. I use a 3 Pin 1000mA USB Power Adapter Mains Charger. The adapter supplied with the PowerGen is a flat 2-pin plug, which is not suitable for use in the UK without a travel adapter.

Now you have a charged PowerGen, whenever your phone starts running low on power, you plug in the PowerGen using another USB cable, press the charge button, and the power stored in the PowerGen charges your phone. For my phone, a Motorola Milestone 2 Android phone, the Powergen was able to give it three full charges, enough to keep it going for the duration of most music festivals. There was enough power left in the PowerGen to give an 80% charge to a friend's iPhone as well.

To add to the festival-going credentials of this useful little device, if you press the charge button twice, you can use the PowerGen as an LED torch.

There are two identical USB cables supplied (identical except for length - one is longer than the other) that accept a variety of plug adapters to make the PowerGen work with most devices that can be charged via USB. There are micro and mini USB, iPhone and PSP adapters (so it's not just for mobile phones!), and a selection of other adapters that I don't recognise. If you prefer, you can use the USB cable that came with your device, as the "from" end is a standard USB socket.

The PowerGen is compact enough to fit in your pocket alongside your phone. If you want to charge your phone while it's in your pocket, you need to be careful with the cable-plus-plug-adapter combination, which is a bit unwieldy, and can get twisted and unplug itself. It's fine if you're careful, and the PowerGen unit itself is robust. Four LEDs show how much charge is left in the PowerGen: each LED is roughly equivalent to an hour's charge.

The PowerGen is a simple idea that can make a big difference. It's great for festivals or if you're out of the office without access to a mains socket.

Note: I have seen other reviews that suggest that the rechargeable batteries in the PowerGen have a limited lifespan. I've only charged mine a couple of times so far and it seems fine, but I'll update this review if I see any problems. It's still likely to work out cheaper than using disposable batteries.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it does work with iPhone 5, 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: PowerGen 12000mAh External Battery Pack High Capacity Power Bank Backup Charger Triple USB 3Amps output for Apple iPhone 5S 5 5c 4S 4 3Gs, iPod Touch, iPad Air, 5, 4, 3, 2, Mini (Apple lightning adapters Not included) / Samsung Galaxy S4 S3 S2, Note 2, Note 3 / HTC One X / Google Nexus 4,5,7,10; Nokia Lumia 920 1020; Motorola Moto G; Blackberry Z10; Sony Xperia Z [Designed for Apple and Android Devices] (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I wanted to be able to use my iPhone, on a long journey, without having to worry about the battery running low. This product resolves that issue. I also tried charging my iPad 3. Again, no issue. I noticed that some reviewers remarked on it not being compatible with iPhone 5. There are connectors in the box for many different devices. You just attache them onto the supplied USB cable as required. This is also how the product is charged. It is connected to an appropriate USB device - I charge the PowerGen from my Mac Book Pro. Now, it is true that there are connectors provided that fits the iPhone 3/4 and the iPad. However, there is no connector for the iPhone 5, since this is of a different design to previous models. This is not a major issue. It is simply a matter of carrying your iPhone 5 USB cable with you. You plug this into the device as required and charge the phone in this way. The absence of a specific iPhone 5 connector is the reason for the 4 star review. Otherwise, I am very happy with the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Gadget I Have Purchased In A Long While, 30 Oct 2011
A. Hodson - See all my reviews
My Blackberry 9800 battery drains even when it is switched off. I arrived at an airport which was undergoing refurbishment and I could not find a power socket anywhere so used my Power Gen for the first time for it's intended purpose. 2 Hours and I was back to full charge on my phone and there was still plenty of power left in the charger. Very impressed. A year on and two of my scandinavian work colleagues were suitably impressed that I have bought two more of these power packs for them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Powergen battery 'charger', 21 April 2013
C. Paver (Exeter, Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This was delivered promptly with several different connecting ends to go with the charging cable. It works well but both I and a friend who also bought it, found that the connecting end snapped and was unusable after a while. I went to my local maplins and bought the necessary connecting end to be able to use the charger. So, the actual charger works well but you have to be very careful if charging whilst out and about as the cable and connector can get bent.

Following this feedback the sellers contacted me through Amazon and asked me to contact them with the details of the specific connector. This I did and they immediately posted me 2 new cables and 2 connectors which I consider excellent customer service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent build quality and very trustworthy!, 20 Dec 2011
Shirlz "“Imagination is more important than k... (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I love my Juice Pack - my handbag is never without it! I get two full charges for the HTC Desire, with one full charge taking less than an hour. It takes a few hours to charge the Juice Pack, but once charged it holds its charge completely. I checked it after one month had passed, and was surprised to see it still at 100%.

It feels very nice in your hand, excellent build quality, and nice finish - really looks the part too. It is about the same size as my HTC Desire, but I don't mind that.

It has a connector for the phone that is built-in and fits flush with the body of the Juice Pack, when you pull it out to connect to the phone, the cable is rather small and appears quite flimsy, but I have not had any problems with it. The enclosed adapters fit the iPod, iPhone range and quite a selection of phones, so it can be handy when you are out to lend to a friend who's battery is dying and they need to access an app or make a call.

Brilliant when you are away from home all day and your mobile needs a boost to keep on functioning, very trustworthy!

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor design, 24 Feb 2014
I was going to give this a great review as it does what it says, but the torch continually keeps coming on! I bought it to charge phones etc. on walks - but now people keep stopping me to tell me there's a lit torch in my rucksack. I can't seem to stop this happening. Needs a redesign with a better switch.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good whilst it worked but broken after 3 weeks, 23 Jan 2014
Bought this in December 2013. This product was good whilst I used it (decent charge on both iPad mini and iPhone) similar to other reviews. However, after about three weeks is just stopped working. Which seems to be similar experience for a lot of people. Wouldn't recommend this product. I've returned it to Amazon - their only option for returning was to receive a refund rather than a replacement which I would have been happy with but I'm not going to bother buying another one of these.

1.0 out of 5 stars 2 weeks old and it stops working, 17 Jan 2014
Firstly, this power bank claims that it can charge 4 times but when I experimented it myself, the most it could do was twice. I wanted to make a complain about it but i thought neh, I'll give it a chance. This is my second week using it and it has already stopped working. Very very disappointed and unsatisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent power pack for Pi, 6 May 2013
Mr. A. Stokes (South West, UK) - See all my reviews
Just the job for powering a raspberry pi on the move. Lasts all day. Very pleased with it and have no complaints.

ARRAY(0xab186a44)