5.0 out of 5 stars In-flight refuelling for your phone
Published on 17 May 2012 by Peter

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work well
The item was very well made and felt very solid. It also came with clear instructions. Sadly,it would not charge to more than two out of the four indicator lights and did not seem to be able to hold a full capacity charge. Item sent back as faulty.
Published 14 months ago by xrn

5.0 out of 5 stars In-flight refuelling for your phone, 17 May 2012
Peter (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
There are times when your mobile phone battery just doesn't last long enough. If you're away from a power source for a few days, you either need to ration your mobile phone use or just give up using it when it runs out. If, like me, you go to music festivals, you have the option of paying someone quite a lot of money to charge your phone, assuming you feel comfortable with leaving it with them. What you need is a portable charger of your own.

There are some phone chargers that take ordinary AA batteries, but of course they can cost a fortune in disposable batteries. The PowerGen, which was supplied to me for review by its Amazon distributor, is the first rechargeable portable charger I've seen, and it does away with all the disadvantages of other types of external chargers.

So, when you're planning to go away, you charge your phone and you also charge the PowerGen. It charges using a USB port in about 5 hours if you use a 1 Amp supply (it holds about 5.2 Amp hours). Most computer USB ports deliver less current, and so take longer to charge it, so it's best to use a mains-to-USB adapter, such as your Kindle, iPhone or iPad mains charging accessory. I use a 3 Pin 1000mA USB Power Adapter Mains Charger. The adapter supplied with the PowerGen is a flat 2-pin plug, which is not suitable for use in the UK without a travel adapter.

Now you have a charged PowerGen, whenever your phone starts running low on power, you plug in the PowerGen using another USB cable, press the charge button, and the power stored in the PowerGen charges your phone. For my phone, a Motorola Milestone 2 Android phone, the Powergen was able to give it three full charges, enough to keep it going for the duration of most music festivals. There was enough power left in the PowerGen to give an 80% charge to a friend's iPhone as well.

To add to the festival-going credentials of this useful little device, if you press the charge button twice, you can use the PowerGen as an LED torch.

There are two identical USB cables supplied (identical except for length - one is longer than the other) that accept a variety of plug adapters to make the PowerGen work with most devices that can be charged via USB. There are micro and mini USB, iPhone and PSP adapters (so it's not just for mobile phones!), and a selection of other adapters that I don't recognise. If you prefer, you can use the USB cable that came with your device, as the "from" end is a standard USB socket.

The PowerGen is compact enough to fit in your pocket alongside your phone. If you want to charge your phone while it's in your pocket, you need to be careful with the cable-plus-plug-adapter combination, which is a bit unwieldy, and can get twisted and unplug itself. It's fine if you're careful, and the PowerGen unit itself is robust. Four LEDs show how much charge is left in the PowerGen: each LED is roughly equivalent to an hour's charge.

The PowerGen is a simple idea that can make a big difference. It's great for festivals or if you're out of the office without access to a mains socket.

Note: I have seen other reviews that suggest that the rechargeable batteries in the PowerGen have a limited lifespan. I've only charged mine a couple of times so far and it seems fine, but I'll update this review if I see any problems. It's still likely to work out cheaper than using disposable batteries.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it does work with iPhone 5, 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: PowerGen 12000mAh External Battery Pack High Capacity Power Bank Backup Charger Triple USB 3Amps output for Apple iPhone 5S 5 5c 4S 4 3Gs, iPod Touch, iPad Air, 5, 4, 3, 2, Mini (Apple lightning adapters Not included) / Samsung Galaxy S4 S3 S2, Note 2, Note 3 / HTC One X / Google Nexus 4,5,7,10; Nokia Lumia 920 1020; Motorola Moto G; Blackberry Z10; Sony Xperia Z [Designed for Apple and Android Devices] (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I wanted to be able to use my iPhone, on a long journey, without having to worry about the battery running low. This product resolves that issue. I also tried charging my iPad 3. Again, no issue. I noticed that some reviewers remarked on it not being compatible with iPhone 5. There are connectors in the box for many different devices. You just attache them onto the supplied USB cable as required. This is also how the product is charged. It is connected to an appropriate USB device - I charge the PowerGen from my Mac Book Pro. Now, it is true that there are connectors provided that fits the iPhone 3/4 and the iPad. However, there is no connector for the iPhone 5, since this is of a different design to previous models. This is not a major issue. It is simply a matter of carrying your iPhone 5 USB cable with you. You plug this into the device as required and charge the phone in this way. The absence of a specific iPhone 5 connector is the reason for the 4 star review. Otherwise, I am very happy with the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 30 May 2014
All the specs for this seem to match the description. It has 3 charging outputs, which can all be used at the same time at a slower charging rate or just use 1 or 2 of them at a faster charging rate.
When charging just one phone or tablet, it charges just as fast as a normal mains charger. It charges my Nexus 7 v2 about 4 times or my Android phone about 5 times with some power still left in it.
The unit itself is about the size of a large screen phone, but about twice as thick and quite heavy. It arrived about 90% charged and just needed a top up charge for about an hour or so.
It feels and looks like a good quality product and works perfectly in every way. There are a lot of these types of products on the market, so if you can't decide which one to get then get this one.
I'm very happy with it and very highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A HUGE battery that I carry with myself - everywhere!, 12 Aug 2014
I decided to buy this because I needed something to keep on me all the time that can relieve my phone of a dying battery. I came across this battery that's a huge 14000mAh in size. Basically that means that it can charge your phone 4/5 times on a single charge. The product I got was a shiny white colour with two cords coming out each side. Also, it has 2 USB ports on top for any other devices. The left side cord is a phone cable for Samsung, Blackberry's and other android phones. The right side cord is for charging the battery, it can be plugged in to your PC or a wall outlet. I always use the wall plug because it would take literally hours to charge on a PC. On top are the two USB ports, this is for iPhones and others devices like cameras and wireless headphones that need charging. The product itself is brilliant, it has a really nice feel and build to it. However it must miss a star because the right side cable (USB) is quite short meaning that it can sometimes be dangling mid-charge because of the short cable. Also the cables feel very thin and I'm sure with a but of force they could be ripped out very easily. Other than those 2 flaws this product is brilliant for anyone wanting to revive their gadgets on the go.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work well, 8 Jun 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential if you ever leave your house, 9 Aug 2014
In case of zombie apocalypse, you'll have at least a few more hours of downloaded Treehouse tutorial fun with this baby. Carried it around with me in Scotland because, as we all know, the iPhone is a splendid but weak thing that loses the will to live faster than I lose the will to diet when encountering a box of Krispy Kremes.

Nice and easy to use, holds a charge forever, charges the phone fairly quickly and is surprisingly not too heavy for what it is. Great product, must have if you enjoy nature but definitely can't stand anything less than 80% charge on your phone (what happens is you get attacked by a bear in Cornwall and you need to call for help but you phone's been on for 17 minutes and it's dead?!)

Great investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent power pack for Pi, 6 May 2013
Mr. A. Stokes (South West, UK) - See all my reviews
Just the job for powering a raspberry pi on the move. Lasts all day. Very pleased with it and have no complaints.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powergen 12000mAh, 19 Aug 2014
I purchased the 12000mAh model, as I travel a lot, and sometimes have no sockets. now having the device for a couple of weeks, I have used it, on a plane, in the car, and during camping. I usually carry a few devices with me, so the three ports are very handy for charging them all at the same time.

since I bought it, I have only had to charge the device twice! it holds the charge extremely well. I always fully charge each of my phones, and there is still charge left to charge them again.
great product, and for a good price!

5.0 out of 5 stars juice pack, 18 Dec 2011
James Guy (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This is how I charge my phone now because I'm not tied to a mains outlet. My main reason for buying this is for extended life away from the mains, just charge up before going into the mountains, moors or whatever and for my phone I have 4x charge ups. For 20 it's a must. My phone never goes near the mains, I just make sure the juice pack is charged.

After using this for some months my only criticism is that the 5200mAhr capacity is a bit optimistic. Nevertheless, 2 + a bit full charges of my Sony Experia Active is fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect portable power for a Raspberry Pi computer, 24 Dec 2012
This was recommended to me by Sukkin Pang, a friend and an electronics expert. I needed something to provide portable power for a Raspberry Pi computer and the PowerGen has proved perfect. It lasts for hours, it's light and compact, and it recharges quickly.