on 25 June 2012
Robert Ludlum's Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Imperative (Bourne 10) is another compelling story with intuitively observed characters that he successful brought to life with a great deal of skill. The dialogue is very engaging,the plot is way up there, and I also found the setting to be colorful.Those are the things I look for in a novel. Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Imperative (Bourne 10) brings to mind the story of Gavin in Triple Agent, Double Cross. Overall, this is a well written work with a gripping plot, awesome characterization, beautiful dialogue and absorbing setting. In short it is an accomplished piece of writing and a compelling read.
on 11 July 2013
I pre-ordered this book having read all of the previous. When it finally turned up I was excited in the same way as a kid with a new Harry Potter.

The plot kind of wombles through some very weak sub-plots where lots of things are unanswered or there is no explanation for. At the end there is a scene where the bad guy arrives from no-where with a weapon that is just ridiculous in context. Then during Jason Bourne's closing in on the final showdown he runs through the forest, across a plain, engages in and wins a fight against multiple opponents and steals their vehicle.

Next paragraph he's fumbling for something in his backpack. Hang on. He dumped that before the forest and there's nothing to say he went back for it so where did the magic backpack come from?

And it's this kind of inconsistency that really ruins this book I'm afraid.
on 20 May 2014
#10 in the Jason Bourne series. As other reviewers have pointed out, Jason must have been collecting his old-age pension for over a decade now.

Quibbles p.111 "Aguadiente Bancorp was now one of the three largest banks outside the United States."

Not as hard as it sounds. Only one American bank scrapes into the top ten.

P.150 "one pair of cobbler's awls, you 'ave." Cobbler's awls,Balls,Bogdan said unexpectedly."

The phrase cobbler's awls is never used. The use of cobblers or a load of cobblers has entered widely into English but Cockney rhyming slang omits the last part of a phrase e,g barnet (Barnet Fair), hair.

I doubt if one in a million Brits would be aware of cbblers full derivation.
on 7 January 2013
I read a lot and this is the worst book i have read in a long time - so bad it has prompted my rare review. Having enjoyed the Bourne films I thought i would enjoy this when lent it by a friend. I got to almost the end of the book and still had no idea what was going on, and more importantly, I didn't care. Too much jumping back and forth from one scene and character to another [maybe this works as a film but not as a book] with the intention of it all coming together at the end, by which time i had lost interest.
I didn't feel that we got to know any of the characters too deeply to feel any affinity or affection for them.
Most disappointing.
on 3 January 2015
I have always enjoyed the Bourne series and have read all but the latest one. However, the Imperative was not as good as usual. Start of story was fine and the last couple of chapters were good reading, keeping you guessing. BUT the mid section of the book meandered from character to character and you were left wondering where the story was going. So for me only 3 stars compared to the usual 5 stars for these books.
"One man of you shall chase a thousand, for the LORD your God is He who fights for you, as He promised you." -- Joshua 23:10 (NKJV)

The title of this story could easily be: Echoes of Jason Bourne's Life. Mr. Lustbader selected some of the major characteristics of Jason Bourne's past to build a plot around. Although the concept is somewhat interesting, it tended to focus my reading on other stories, rather than on this one. Ultimately, I thought it was overdone.

What I did like about the book were the scenes where people were fighting for their lives in close combat. These were well done and very exciting. I think you will enjoy them. Without those scenes, I would have rated this book as a three-star effort.

The plot also has some pretty credibility-stretching elements. I won't mention what they are lest I spoil the story for you.

If you are a dyed-in-the-wool Bourne fan, you'll probably enjoy the book . . . but it will be far from your favorite.

Take this one to the beach.
on 1 October 2013
Having read all the other Bourne books to date and enjoyed them, hate having to say not enjoying this was at all. Have to force myself to read it and I just want it to finish. Find there are far to many characters to keep track of and it seems to be all over the place.
on 30 October 2013
The only thing missing, is Moby singing,"Extreme Ways" fairly rattles along the roof tops and back streets, as you would expect from our Jason. Great story line, fast with many a twist and surprises galore, A must read, if you like the Bourne films.
on 28 June 2013
Although I enjoyed the book and being a follower of Bourne from the beginning he is becoming more sidelined in each book since the colaberation began. The physical effects on his body must now be so debilatating that he needs to retire.
on 14 October 2013
I am also a Jason Bourne fan. However, the Bourne books are a challenge at my age; remembering who the characters are is sometimes a difficult task seeing as there are so many. However, it is worth the struggle.