on 21 August 2012
I imagine most people reading this book will be current Maya Banks fans and know the KGI series well so will have an idea of what to expect from this Novella. For those who don't; this is an update so to speak of Ethan and Rachel; a couple who featured several books back in The Darkest Hour. The Novella is more of a catch-up story or story between stories for those who want a smidgen of one of the best couples from the series. Ethan and Rachel have had a troubled past and this Novella gives us an insight into just how happy the couple are now and more profoundly, how much better Rachel is doing since her ordeal in TDH. Without giving to much away this Novella has it all, a big move for the couple, new additions to their lives and a even a scary event towards the end. I thoroughly enjoyed it, it's a very short read; taking roughly an hour to finish however it's a brilliant 'Rachel and Ethan fix' and Maya Banks fans will love it. 10/10 :)
on 23 August 2012
I love the KGI series it is always a must read for me but I missed the Kelly's in Rio's book so it was great to see them all here. although this is a short story its 15 chapters, so long enough to get into and enjoy the story before its all over.

I was over the moon when Maya Banks gave Ethan and Rachel a extra story and I hope all the other brothers get a extra one too, inbetween the main books of course, ( come on Maya Banks do it for the fans) Ethan and Rachel's story was the first book in the series so anyone who hasn't read The Darkest Hour would be better to read that before this or it will seem like a nice little romance, rather than a short sequal to a great book.

Softly at Sunrise is after Rio's (Echoes at Dawn) and see's Rachel and Ethan moving to their own house on the Kelly Compound and deciding to try again to have a family after the miscarrige Rachel suffered years before, they are happy and Rachel has decided to go back to teaching at the local school, she is feeling better emotionally since she was kidnapped and held hostage for a year and wants to have a family with Ethan and start a new life in their new home, I can't give away too much else as to what happens as it will ruin the book for others but it was lovely to see the family all together and Rachel and Ethan happy even if Rachel still has some uncertain feelings and Ethan still feels guiltly about the events before Rachel was kidnapped, it was lovely to see them working through it all together.

This was like getting a big teaser untill the next book which is PJ and Coles book. It will touch your heart in places and put a big old smile on your face when its done worth the money for that warm and fuzzy feeling, can't wait for more, loved it!
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 22 October 2012
Lots of suspense novels put their characters through difficult situations and then show them continuing their lives with no real consequences - kidnap, rape, torture can all be got over quickly especially with the addition of a handsome love interest. In this short novel/novella Maya Banks revisits the first couple about whom she wrote in the KGI series and gives us a glimpse into the aftermath of Rachel's terrible experiences and Ethan's continuing guilt. See The Darkest Hour (A KGI Novel) for their story.

This new story deals with the ongoing emotional turmoil and the relationship between the two of them and includes a brief, suspense like, episode where Rachel is kept hostage in the school where she teaches. The book doesn't really go into the emotional stuff in much detail, but it is nice to see it addressed for once. The suspense element of the book is not really terribly exciting either as it is more than obvious what will happen. The short length of this piece means that it is necessarily more superficial than the full length books.

But - if you are a fan, you will enjoy this additional story. It is always good to re-meet old "friends" and the author has attempted to include all the characters from her previous books. The love between them all is a bit cloying but this is a feel-good story and thus it avoids conflict. If you are not already a fan of these stories then don't start here, leave this book until you are immersed in the KGI world.
on 17 August 2013
I had to stop listening to this one because of the new narrator.

Please note, the stars given here are based off of the narration of the audiobook. 4 stars were given to my review on Goodreads.
As far as my review for the story it's self, cross posted from Goodreads:

It was a bit twee, especially at first, and especially the end.

But all in all it wasn't bad.

It was a look into Ethan and Rachel's world after life continued on for them.

Disappointed with the name, as it really didn't have any correlation to the story. (Usually the title has a correlation, even if it's far stretched.)

Oh, and I had to read this one instead of listen to it, because they switched narrators (at first I thought it was only for this little shorty, but I've since found out that this one, Shades of Grey, and Forged in Steele are also by this new narrator.) I do not like the new narrator at all and had to turn it off after 5 minutes. I miss Harry Berkeley (I think that's who was the last one), his gruff Southern voice was perfect for all the Kelly Boys, and wasn't too horrible with the females. This new Adam (I think it's Adam) character is horrible, especially with the females. (That was actually what made me shut it off. The first time he spoke as Rachel, I just couldn't stand it.)
on 29 August 2012
Hello,This sort story about Rachel & Ethan,how Rachel started to get her life back together after her ordeal.This book still has all the kelly family in it.The story is mainly about Rachel & Ethan moving home for a new start.Rachel going back to school as a teacher.although this is a short story there is a fair bit of action,the story move very well with a few surprises to keep you going.Thanks Maya Banks carry on the good work
on 9 November 2014
This is a novella, its a return to rachel and ethans story and how they have come far in their relationship after her kidnapping.
this is a stunning tale of an enduring romance of a couple who have come far after being devastated from a kidnapping, they have eachother and family to help them through, their is some action aswell from the kgi boys.
I couldnt stop reading until id finished it was so good and I want to say its the best novella ive ever read, I woukd give it a lot more than 5* if I could.
on 27 September 2013
Maya Banks has done it again. her KGI series is fantastic. if you would like to read her books I suggest you read the first one in the series and then right through to her latest .that way you become to know who everybody is and you can engage your imagination of the workings of the KGI and how they all play their parts in team work. a cracking story.
on 23 February 2014
I have read this story in book form before I purchased my kindle but I love maya banks stories and didn't mind reading it again.I think before you read this book and to fully understand you need to read the previous books you are guaranteed to fall in love with the Kelly series.
on 5 September 2014
Read more about Ethan and Rachel in their developing lives. Rachel faces danger again and getting caught up in a major school drama brings out the best in the KGI family.
on 23 January 2013
This is a fab follow up to Rachel and Ethans story. A good read. I would recommend this book to the followers of KGI