on 8 February 2013
I'm convinced this is the best reference to the STL available. I had the first edition which is now falling apart as I haven't found any other documentation on the STL online that comes close to it for both reference and tutorial. I hung onto my tatty old first edition until he came out with a new C++11 edition and once again I love this book! The most stiking thing to me is how he has successfully put together a book that combines reference and tutorial. Most books tend to do one or the other. This does both and does it well!
on 26 June 2013
This is a very good book for those who want to learn to use the "nuts and bolts" features of C++ (especially the new features of C++11), but who don't need all the hoo-haa about object oriented programming. The code snippets clearly show how to use features such as vectors, associative arrays, strings, streams, range-based FOR loops, and just about everything else you might need. I can see that I'm going to be dipping into this book regularly for a long time to come as my knowledge and thirst for C++ grows.
on 28 April 2013
I liked the first edition of this book and this edition is written and presented in the same style. Not as many examples of new features as I would have liked more reference than tutorial. I thought the section on concurrency was a bit weak, still better than the boost::threads documentation though, otherwise I would have given it it 5 stars.!
on 31 May 2014
Whilst this will not teach you the details of C++ programming language - this is the book you'll be using regularly for reference.

You'll want another book to teach you about the semantics of the language - but that is likely to be stuff you'll learn and remember (certainly if you want a job using C++). What you won't remember is the hundreds of library classes, and their functions. This book covers them well.

The C++ language is evolving, and whilst it doesn't go into detail with the basics it does cover the changes that are happening to the language with C++ 11. Some of these being quite significant (Smart Pointers, limited Garbage Collection, Lambdas, Range based for loops...).

Sadly most compilers don't follow the complete C++ 11 standard yet. Takes a long time for compilers to implement the standards. So google around to see what features your chosen compiler supports.
on 3 April 2014
Its format might not be everyone's cup of tea, but the tutorial method is reassuring and gives the ground up confidence especially needed for newbies but also not wasted on seasoned programmers. However, this book still functions well as a reference.
on 3 November 2014
Something like 1100 pages here and each one has relevant information. And it is fully up-to-date as far as I can tell for C++ 11. It served as a tutorial and now it sits on my bookshelf as a much thumbed reference.
on 11 June 2013
This is by far the best guide to the standard library, it goes into far more depth than other books I've read. You can't go wrong with this book, although it is a bit pricey!
on 10 January 2014
I had to brush up on new stuff introduced in STL and C++11. What is good is that the book explains the concepts first and then gives shows how the concepts can be be implemented in code. This then is like a tutorial taking you through the code step by step (with remarks in the code) explaining the possible outputs and the pitfalls that are usual with C++ the STL.
on 14 July 2015
What can I say? It covers pretty much everything that I wanted to know when I bought this book about C++11 and gives good explanations and examples.
on 24 November 2015