5.0 out of 5 stars Moving Debut Album
I first saw Amore on Songs of Praise and was so moved by their rendition of 'We will Stand Together' that I immediately ordered it from Amazon. Having now heard the complete album I am so pleased that I did. Movingly different interpretations of familiar pieces this album should please everyone. I hope they go on to achieve the success they so richly deserve.
Published on 10 Jun 2012 by M. J. Mccarthy

2.0 out of 5 stars hmm......
Disappointing on all accounts: repertoire, vocals and performance.
I would not recommend this to any one if you like quality vocals.
Published 19 months ago by Mouse

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving Debut Album, 10 Jun 2012
M. J. Mccarthy (Beckenham, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Amore, 3 Jun 2012
J. Harvey (Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stand Together (Audio CD)
Amore are marketed as an `Opera Group', so it is perhaps a little surprising to find that only a third of the tracks in `Stand Together' originate in operas. But what the track list may be lacking in inspiration is more than amply compensated by the passion brought to the performance, some unexpected arrangements and wonderful orchestral accompaniment to these four amazing voices.

Briefly, track by track:-

I love the hymn 'Abide With Me'; to the extent that, from an early age, people have assumed that I am a football fan because of it. (Nothing could be further from the truth.) Most recordings disappointingly have only two or three verses but here we are treated to five. Starting with a straight baritone solo for the first verse, the voices are added in with interweaving harmonies as the hymn progresses to a wonderful climax in the final verse.

Is 'Nella Fantasia' an overdone standard? Possibly, but the four voices in harmony bring a new dimension to this popular piece.

When I saw Amore live, the male voice harmony in the opening part of 'Ave Maria' gave me goosebumps. The recorded version is almost as good. The ladies get to join in later, together with an ethereal sounding choir.

Amore may be a quartet but the 'Flower Duet' really is a duet, with Monica's lovely soprano and Victoria's gorgeous mezzo voices combining in as good a version of this as I have heard.

Looking at the title 'Cantique De Jean Racine', I wouldn't have known what to expect, but actually I did recognize the theme. Rich harmonies abound in this slow contemplative number.

The men have their turn with 'The Pearl Fishers', giving the ladies a breather. I have heard richer versions from choirs, but this duet is still great.

I think I became bored with 'Amazing Grace' about forty years ago and I generally groan inwardly whenever I see the title in yet another collection. Even Hayley Westenra does little for me when singing this. But Amore's version is somehow different. Unusual harmonies and subtle changes to timing raise this above the humdrum.

A magnificent rendition of 'Here's To The Heroes' takes full advantage of the vocal range of the group.

'Barcarolle' flows along easily with the help of some sweeping instrumental arrangements. Whilst never mere background throughout the album, this is the only track where the orchestra threatens to outshine the vocals.

To me, 'Jerusalem' is a hymn for joining in rather than listening to. But if you have to keep your mouth shut, then Amore are a treat for the ears.

The stirring words of 'We Will Stand Together', set to Elgar's Nimrod, are perhaps somewhat contrived and need some concentration to follow, but it's still a wonderful tune in a majestic arrangement.

'Brindisi', the rousing drinking song, rounds off the album leaving you wanting more.

I like this album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Debut, 29 May 2012
This review is from: Stand Together (Audio CD)
This debut CD from Amore is one that I have been looking forward to ever since I too saw them on BBC Breakfast and I am certainly not disappointed.

The young singers, who I have followed on their website, have shown a real passion for this music and I like the choice of tracks. A few new repertoire choices, going along with their own admission to cross over the repertoire. Which may in turn keep the tracks a little more formal, but the polish and sheen of this music has an excitement in it which blows you away.

They understand that it is a long journey and the repertoire shows this, No Puccini (Nessun Dorma) or any other genre to fill the cd with. They are true to their roots and I hope that they succeed in their quest.

I recommend this album to anyone who loves to listen to good music and anyone who wants to follow four individuals who as a quartet will be a force to be reckoned with.

Role on Album No. 2!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, Yes, Yes, 9 Jun 2012
This review is from: Stand Together (Audio CD)
The music is in very safe hands here and the singers are impeccably trained with beautiful voices.
I like all the tracks and feel very happy when they sing.
Well Done Guys! x

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 9 Sep 2012
This review is from: Stand Together (Audio CD)
This is a lovely CD- songs sung beautifully by a group of beautiful vibrant young people- may they go far!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fan-tastic, 6 July 2012
This review is from: Stand Together (Audio CD)
First time I have heard this new group. Now added to my favorites! I shall be looking out for them performing near to where I live.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start!, 23 Jun 2012
Mr. L. Thompson "Laurie Thompson" (Carluke, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stand Together (Audio CD)
This CD contains a number of very familiar songs, some of them with new and exciting arrangements. Clearly the selection is designed to introduce us to the versatility of the group and its members and I look forward to the next album which one would hope will explore less familiar areas of operatic music. This is a very satisfying debut album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed., 6 Jun 2012
This review is from: Stand Together (Audio CD)
Wonderful debut! I could listen to their beautiful voices all day. It's rare to find young talent with such a fresh sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great debut, 30 May 2012
This review is from: Stand Together (Audio CD)
Great sounding album from some fine singers. Their passion for singing comes through very strongly, their voices blend and balance very well and there is a good mixture of material which should suit most listeners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much amore for Amore!, 30 May 2012
This review is from: Stand Together (Audio CD)
An absolute knock out first album from a bunch of lovely, grounded singers. I'm not usually a fan of opera, however I made an exception for this group after seeing them on BBC Breakfast. I thoroughly recommend; even if this kind of music isn't normally what you would go for!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›