5.0 out of 5 stars Recognition issues
Published 15 months ago by ES

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant drive, when it doesn't crash
I've been using this drive in a Samsung Series 9 laptop for 3 months and it has worked perfectly every day. Read/write speeds have been good, it has improved performance over the drive that came with the laptop, and provided me with the space that I need.

Published 18 months ago by Neil Campbell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant drive, when it doesn't crash, 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: Crucial CT256M4SSD3 256GB M4 SATA III 6Gb/s mSATA MLC Internal SSD (Personal Computers)

Unfortunately, the drive stopped working yesterday. The screen froze whilst using Chrome and I had no choice but to long-press the power button to shut the machine down. On re-boot, the laptop no longer recognised the SSD. Going through bios implied that it wasn't connected at all; an invisible drive.

The first thing I did was to re-install the original SSD that came with the laptop. This was recognised immediately and allowed me to boot up the machine, proving to me that it was a disk fault rather than a laptop fault. I then did a few searches online and discovered a number of people who had experienced the same problem with this drive. The 1 star reviews on Amazon alight to the problem, which lies in the firmware that ships with the drive. If you experience a problem with a piece of software, or have a blip in the power supply going to the drive, it will freeze (or the SSD equivalent) and render itself invisible to the bios. Thankfully there is a solution which worked for me (and a few others) and has been suggested by Crucial:

You will have to boot the laptop into bios (the first bios screen is fine) and leave it there for 30 minutes. You then power the laptop down and remove the drive for at least 30 seconds. You then insert the drive back in, boot to bios and leave it powered on for another 30 minutes. The advice from Crucial is that you should now remove the drive for 30 seconds and then try and boot the machine normally. I didn't have to do this. As soon as I reset the machine I saw the familiar Windows logo appear and it booted normally. This process helps the laptop's bios reset some settings and then makes it look for the drive again. So the SSD is not broken per se, it just needs to be refreshed through this process.

Crucial advise updating the firmware. I will do this after I've mirrored the drive so I know I won't lose everything if something goes wrong. Hopefully that will solve this problem.

I've only experience the problem once, but obviously it's quite a big deal when it does happen (especially when you use the machine to run your own business). I'm now going to be a little wary of it until it proves itself again to me. Thankfully I use the cloud to back everything up in real time, so I knew I hadn't lost any of my files, just the time required to either follow the process above, or wait for a replacement to be sent out and then re-install everything from scratch. It's still not ideal though.

I will update this if I have any more problems.

****

8 months on and the drive has failed again. Left the laptop locked and charging, then went out to lunch. Noticed when I came back that the keyboard was lit up, but couldn't get the screen to activate, forcing a hard re-boot. It immediately came back to say that it couldn't find a hard disk. Thankfully I have the instructions above to remedy, again. Very annoying though

5.0 out of 5 stars Recognition issues, 13 May 2013
I bought this as an upgrade for 128 gb card on my Dell Precision M4600. I used an "Aleratec MiniPCIe mSATA to SATA SSD Adapter" and an external caddy to make up an external disk drive. I plugged the drive into the usb port, looked in "my computer" and it didn't appear. I did a whole lot of other things to try to make it visible. I went into the "Disk Management" in the "Computer management" bit of "administrative tools" in "Control Panel". There the disk was showing and I initialised it. I didn't go back to "my computer" to see if it was showing, at this stage, but went straight to Acronis True Image. It was showing there and I was then able to clone the disk. I replaced the old mSATA and the new one is working fine (although I have only had it a couple of days at this point).

5.0 out of 5 stars Good upgrade for HP Folio 13 Ultrabook, 15 Aug 2012
M. Edwards "marin" (UK) - See all my reviews
Just upgraded a HP Folio 13 Ultrabook from 128Gb mSATA to this 256Gb mSATA with no problems at all.

Performace is excellent, even when running virtual machines.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good for HP EliteBook, 17 Jan 2014
I bought this item to upgrade my smaller 1,8" HDD over half a year ago and happy with this SSD. Booting and shutting down became very fast, as well as opening Outlook and other MS office programmes. Had no problems with it. Installation was simple, I only needed to find a proper adapter (on ebay at that time) and follow typical SSD recommendations available on the internet.

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to fit, 15 Jan 2014
I got this to improve my motherboard boot times by installing windows 7 64 bit version on. It works fine and does make everything a bit faster but you soon get used to the speed increase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and Nippy, NUC friendly, 20 Aug 2013
Dabbler - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I bought this to put in the Intel Nuc Intel BOXDCCP847DYE Desktop PC - (Celeron 847, QS77, DDR3, USB 2.0, 2x HDMI, Windows 8). I'm happy to say installation took only 30 seconds and it's working well, can't ask for much more really. I've only had it a couple of weeks so reliability remains to be seen, no problems so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade for Lenovo Yoga, 21 July 2013
Bought to increase disk space for my Lenovo Yoga from 128G to 384G.
Was a bit of a faff to fit (but that is an issue with the Yoga not the SSD), but has performed faultlessly since.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for laptops, 7 Jun 2013
S. James (UK) - See all my reviews
I have used this in my Lenovo T430 and it is fantastic. This is the sole disk in my laptop now and performs great.

5.0 out of 5 stars My First SSD - amazing experience, 7 Jun 2013
C. Tweed "Squonk" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
I just bought one of these to install in my new Lenovo Y500 (ordered at the same time). It's my first experience of using an SSD. As I write I'm using a laptop which absolutely flies along thanks at least in part to this device. I can't believe how quickly the laptop starts up and shuts down and applications launch in the blink of an eye. I've kept the 1TB HDD which came with the Y500 and am now using this SSD for OS & programmes and the HDD for the bulk of the data.

I noted other buyer's warnings about the firmware revision and checked mine as soon as I had installed it and before cloning over my system partition. This was purchased on 5th June 2013 and the firmware was fully up to date - version 07MH. Installation was a doddle, simply plug it in and screw it down, and yes this drive comes supplied with two of the required screws (my Y500 only needed one of them).

It's early days yet and I'm still in the process of setting up my laptop and getting my data transferred over etc, so I've not done any intensive work with it yet. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Lightroom responds with this baby to hold the catalogue. I would imagine I'll pop back to give some more impressions once I've been using this rig in anger for a little while.

5.0 out of 5 stars reliable product, 5 Jun 2013
I have not have any issues with this drive despite all the feedback on others who purchased this hard drive. Thank you amazon seller.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›