5.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative to expensive bluetooth speakers
Just a short while after the Bluetooth speaker boom, these little adapters started to appear on the market. This was a revelation as you could now enable wireless streaming to your existing home Hi-Fi or active speakers, and at a fraction of the price of a half decent tiny Bluetooth speaker.
So how does the Avantree stack up against the ever-growing Bluetooth adaptor...
Published 10 months ago by Antoine Camilleri

3.0 out of 5 stars Audio delay higher than expected
Despite being reported as a low audio delay device (thanks to APT-X codec) it still has about 150-200 millseconds delay.
It uses Bluetooth 2.1, which is low bandwidth, therefore I guess that at some protocol level rather big packets are being sent.
Published 14 months ago by colemar

5.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative to expensive bluetooth speakers, 3 Feb 2014
Antoine Camilleri - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
So how does the Avantree stack up against the ever-growing Bluetooth adaptor market?

Pros:
Well made, with anti-slip rubberised base
Transmit or Receive
Respectable battery life, and will last for a maximum of 10 hours.
Reliable brand name
Very easy to set up
Truly portable (Tiny!)
CAN be used and charged at the same time (Contrary to what another reviewer commented)

Cons:
Proprietary enclosed battery.

As with 99% of Bluetooth adapters (and speakers), there is a certain degree of compression. Audiophiles will notice the slight degradation in quality, yet they would need to do comparisons between direct and "through Bluetooth" in order to really pick up the difference in sound quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent product, 20 May 2013
First off, I have another bluetooth receiver which I use to play my phone or ipod music through my hifi and this product provides a clear connection with great sound. I bought the Avantree Saturn as I needed a bluetooth transmitter. I spent a bit of time looking around as what I wanted to do was to be able to watch TV in the evening while my partner went to sleep. Finding the right combination of wireless headphones and transmitter wasn't easy. In the end I went for this product along with Philips SHB9100/00 Bluetooth Stereo Headset (both from Amazon). It connects straight into the TVs 3.5mm jack as most headphones would. I had to play around with it to get it to connect to my new headphones and I now try to turn on the pairing mode on both the Avantree Saturn and the headphones at the same time and sometimes they connect first time, sometimes it takes a few attempts.
As for range, I can go into the kitchen next door but sound quality does deteriorate.
As for connectivity and sound quality, they are interlinked to a degree. When the connection is clear the sound is good but the connection does seem to suffer from interference and there can be crackling. As I said earlier, finding products to do what I wanted wasn't easy and I would guess that for any bluetooth product like this you will not get a perfect and clear connection unless a more expensive product comes out designed specifically for different needs.
Another note; I know some products need 4 digit codes to pair devices but the combination of the two products I bought doesn't have that issue.

3.0 out of 5 stars Audio delay higher than expected, 23 Oct 2013
Delay due to APT-X is reported at different values depending on the source, but never above 40 milliseconds, yet the Saturn is unable to make the most of it.

The two devices I received do shut off when connected to usb power, requiring a button press to be revived.

Range is about 8 meters in plain view.

Audio fidelity seems good.

Can drive a tipical earphone pretty loud, but it begins to distort about when the volume is too loud.

---

I just want to add that I contacted Avantree by email and they are being very helpful with the problems I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Buy!!, 18 Aug 2014
This review is from: Avantree Saturn Wireless Bluetooth Audio/music Adapter Transmitter and Receiver 2-in-1 with aptX audio codec for high quality sound, support iPhone, iPod, iPad, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 plus, Tablets and other Bluetooth enabled devices, non-Bluetooth MP3/MP4, TV and Car Stereo Music Sound System - Black (Electronics)
Finally got something I've been looking for! Sound quality is very good and absolutely no lag! I use this for home surround system to watch movies. Bought 2 of these - one acts as a transmitter, easily chucked behind the tv and the usb power line connected to the TV's USB port and the other acts as a receiver chucked behind my sofa and connected to my Bose speakers. Completely worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars How happy am I that I did this, 4 Aug 2014
I got fed up with my airport express jumping on and off the network so I decided to take the drastic bluetooth plunge as an affordable experiment. How happy am I that I did this?? Really happy! This little device is great. The sound quality is very good, it's easy to pair with devices, the range is great, it's consistent, a great little gadget that you can take anywhere with you and so long as you've charged it you don't even need to plug it into the mains. A great product to turn any set of speakers or hifi into wireless receivers! I haven't used the transmitter function as of yet because I don't have any use for it but as soon as I do I'll give it a try, nice little feature to have included! I doubt very much that you'd be disappointed!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice unit but expensive and with issues!, 14 Jan 2013
This is a nice, compact, clever little piece of Bluetooth electronics. It has a longer battery life (9 to 10 hours) than most other devices you will find, and has dual transmitter and receiver functions, this is selected by a simple slide switch, so the unit can either send or receive data. So you need two to form a local link for your stereo or headset, by way of example.

I have used this on a powered speaker with an older Avontalk transmitter (BTAD-01). Initially the units paired up and worked as expected, the quality being excellent, but then I came across issues: First, if you try to pair another two Bluetooth sound units they seem to affect one another, including the link that is stable already. They both turn on and off and sometimes settle down to work correctly, but often not. Secondly, I got different delays once two sets had stably connected, and this makes a nonsense of any surround sound or separate speaker setup (For example, here I used two identical transmitters, to two identical receivers from the same audio source, split with a 3.5mm splitter jack). If you just want to remote to one speaker, and take the second channel by WIRE to the second speaker of a pair, this works nicely, although not 100% reliably, dropping out now and again. Thirdly I seem unable to get to grips with what happens when you disconnect a device. Typically this happens when you power down your laptop, switch of the transmitter, and receiver and go to bed. Starting the system later, it should automatically connect to the last set channels and all start up as it was, but it doesn't, you end up going through the whole set up and pairing process all over again, and sometimes, for no obvious reason, they just will not pair.

I have a dual aerial Wi-Fi unit, and so does my neighbour, and no doubt these interfere and limit the bandwidth available to the Bluetooth system. I have no home phones using the same technology. So it may be that the wireless environment is not as clean as I would like, with many houses using Wi-Fi, it is also not as congested as it could be, and yet still these units are NOT reliable.

The setup I had hoped to use was two sets of links to the two active stereo speaker pair in a DJ setup, with a third unit connecting to the Bluetooth transmitter embedded in the laptop. Then I could DJ using the Bluetooth headphones (Avantalk again, and very nice). Frankly, this setup just seems to be unstable and not stay reliable. The really irritating thing is that it is close...I have had it work for 30 minutes, absolutely flawlessly, but then it starts breaking up again.

I think Bluetooth may be an interesting idea, not quite there for most of us. In fairness to Avantalk I have not tried two pairs of these particular units to see if they work better in this setup...partly because of their price, I cannot afford to buy £47 x 4 worth of gear and than throw it away because it is unreliable. If Avantalk would lend me 3 more units to test, I would be happy to report honestly what I find. They are a second generation design, so they may be better.

Meanwhile, if all you want is a single stereo link, these units seem to work, with they occasional dropout, for no obvious reason. The quality, when working is CD level and very good, they also drive the low input impedance of my JBL active speakers properly and overall sound superb. Beyond that for a fast set up DJ system or more than one link in the same room (as you would need for 4 speaker surround, because the link delays the sound slightly, and you need the delay to be identical for a good surround effect) I think the technology is not quite there, sadly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little solution!, 30 Jun 2014
W. Birchall (Bucks. UK) - See all my reviews
I am extremely pleased with this purchase. I have just purchased a Sennheiser MM550X headset and had been very disappointed with the sound from my iMac. After doing some research, I plumped for the Avantree Saturn and voila! the performance improved dramatically. Prior to the purchase, I had thought that the issue was my new headset, but now I am sure that it was the iMac. It can both transmit and receive, so for what it does, it is an amazingly inexpensive option, which I would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to set up and easy to use, 28 Aug 2013
Delivery was very reliable prompt and quick and product was exactly as described and well packaged. Tested the product and worked exactly as clearly described on their store.
The Avantree Saturn Bluetooth Adapter makes it a simple easy to set up product to turn your existing hifi and speakers for wireless audio streaming. Personally, I bought this to watch TV and movies late at night without disturbing others while asleep where I was able to pair this with my bluetooth Jabra Halo 2 headset, streaming quality of sound was also decent and can be used for both transmitting and receiving.
Will definitely look into other bluetooth products from Avantree in the future as they are reasonably priced and reliable.

4.0 out of 5 stars decent sound quality and easy to use, 10 Aug 2013
i thought I'd mention this as I wasn't sure it would work as a setup and decided to take the risk.

I have been using this device from a blu-ray player via the phono out to transmit sound. The blu-ray player has a USB port so it can keep the device permanently charged.

The blu-ray is received by a simple blu-tooth receiver (Crystal acoustics Blu-DAC - has aptX).

As neither transmitter is a computer or phone and both have very few controls I wasn't sure they'd be able to communicate. They can.

another concern was latency; standard blue-tooth, I have read delays, by 200ms. aptX is supposed to be much lower latency. I have no way of checking if the two devices are communicating with aptX, but if there is a delay it is not obvious. I find if I stare at lips during film they always look slightly out of sync and this is no different.

Sound quality is good enough for films. I haven't got it linked to my best speakers so can't comment on their use for high quality audio. Also I haven't had a reason to use them for receiving.

Overall, i think it is a good bit of kit. I may even buy a second.

5.0 out of 5 stars very nice item, compact design, works fine with my BOSE soundlink mini., 5 Aug 2013
I use it for my BOSE soundlink mini Bluetooth speaker and it works perfectly. easy to connect and sound quality is good.