5.0 out of 5 stars O'Sullivan's Monumental Album, 17 Dec 2010
Scriabinmahler (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Life & Rhymes (1982) (Audio CD)
Gilbert O'Sullivan's 7th album 'Life & Rhymes' is no doubt one of his great achievements as a singer-song writer. Personally I think it's as monumental as Paul Simon's Grammy Award winner 'Still Crazy After All These Years', for the sheer poetic beauty and originality of each song. While Paul Simon's album became a huge seller worldwide, this album had been one of the most elusive until it was reissued on CD in 1995 in Japan.

It's hard to describe, but this album is quite different from the other 6 albums. A breath of fresh inspiration permeates through all the songs included here, and both melodies and lyrics are profound as well as touching. 'A minute of your time', 'Is it a crime?', 'I promise honest' and 'At least I'm honest' share the same ever-green quality. The songs in minor key like 'If I know you' or 'Wonder why' have amazing depth and elegiac quality which is very moving. 'You don't own me' is one of O'sullivan's most poignant yet wonderfully melodious songs. 'Got to be that way' is a great love song with imaginative lyrics and beautiful melodies. I just love this album for these stunningly original and deeply poetic songs.

Traks:

6 Got to be that way
7 Has been
8 I promise honest
9 Wonder why
10 Looking (A tale of two meanings)
11 If I know you
12 At least I'm honest

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideally for background listening, 4 Jan 2013
This review is from: Life & Rhymes (Audio CD)
Pleasant on the ear, perfect background music to the same excting standardthat I would expect from an artist such as Gilbert

Life & Rhymes
Life & Rhymes by Gilbert O'Sullivan (Audio CD - 2012)