on 24 July 2012
I purchased the OWC DD to replace my optical drive in a mac book 2008 model with a 1 TB hard disk. It was well manufactured and designed, and fitted into the macbook very well. The instruction book was excellent with images for each step of the replacement process. Very happy to have purchased over the cheaper generic caddies available.
on 26 October 2012
I have to say that it is a great idea who invented this products, the quality seems to be ok we have to look for a long term as well.
Price it is expensive but really functional so I thing that we can close an eye an buy it.
Negative point? Just one, the screwdrivers are really terrible, low quality and cheapest...considering the price and that we are talking about MAC, that's mean QUALITY so changing it should be better.
on 24 August 2012
Well made, easy to install and comes with screws and tool set. I first purchased an alternate drive bay which was half the price, what a pile of rubbish, none of the foregoing. I returned it for a refund and purchased the OWC. I now have 2 no. SSD drives installed in my 17" unibody MacBook Pro with no problems running Mountain Lion.

There is a very detailed booklet with every step photographed that accompanies this drive bay, but if you search uTube you will find a detailed video of the install which is easy to follow. Whole heartedly recommended.
on 25 April 2013
The OWC Data Double is the 'safe' option for a Mac, cheaper alternatives probably doing the job just as well. If you are cracking open something like an iMac 27in, probably may not be good enough. The key is not the frame element that holds the drive in place but the little circuit board that connects to the drive and the cables within the computer. In my case the holes in the frame did not match up with anything but you do not need a degree to get around that. The connector, on the other hand, slotted in just fine. I am now running a Crucial M500 240GB SSD in my iMac 2009 27in. Installation took about an hour. I am not very bright, ham fisted and impatient. Despite these handicaps, I managed the job easily but you do need a GOOD Torx 10 drivers to remove the screen screws. Before installing the SSD I set it up as my boot and Applications drive via Firewire 800. Went like stink externally and frankly is not really that much faster in this role internally. If you are going to transfer files or set up a 'home made' Fusion system, the internal is the only way to go. I think the frame is meant for MacBook and MacBook Pro models but it works in an iMac. For stars? This is down to the price. As a tip, incidentally, iMac openers will find a lighter useful to hold the screen up when pulling out the sync cable and using the box that enclosed the doubler subsequently as a screen prop also helps when removing the other cables. Compressed air to clean the cooling fans and a vacuum cleaner to suck out any dust makes cleaning fast and easy too.
on 20 October 2014
This is reassuringly solid and fits well in my MacBook (2008 Unibody). It fastens securely in place, unlike some cheaper models I've seen. I've used it to add a Crucial SSD, which I boot from, and it works excellently apart from well-documented problems with Safe Sleep (which I have now disabled), which are not the DD's fault.

Thanks to the SSD, my MacBook is now lightning fast.

One gotcha was that when fitting I used a screw that was too long, to attach the middle of the DD to the MacBook. The screw went in too far and I ended up with a permanently-pressed "L" key which took a fair bit of fixing. Be careful!
on 15 March 2013
I decided to go with OWC as given that I forked out for a MacBook Pro in the first place I didn't want sub par hardware. Yes there are cheaper options but after reading all the horror stories I didn't want to take the chance.

Also as a bonus OWC supply you with all the tools that you need. As the screw drivers are magnetic this also makes life that little bit easier especially with the tiny screws that Apple just love to use.

It only took me 15/20 mins to work my way through the instructions and add a 2nd HD to my Macbook. All in all in I'm very happy with the quality and easy of installation.
on 6 May 2013
I bought a £8 Optibay from eBay, which wouldn't work at all.

1. It corrupts my hard drive.
2. Didn't work with my SSD at all (corrupts it)
3. Flimsy and crap.

So I bought this Data Doubler, for £40 it was a massive £30 extra than the cheap bay, but it works perfect. I can boot from my SSD while it's in the Optibay and keep the HDD in the original bay for the sudden motion sensor, how I have a dual hard drive setup which runs perfect.

100% worth getting over the cheaper alternatives.
on 23 July 2015
Bought this a couple of months ago. There was large piece of solder on the outside of the assembly. This has burnt through my airport ribbon cable.
review image
on 3 November 2013
I initially got a similar product that was branded natural2020 that was far cheaper and included a optical drive caddy, but shockingly poor quality. Neither the optical drive caddy nor the hdd caddy worked on arrival so returned both. I heard good reviews about OWC so thought I would bite the bullet and I am glad I did (so far). Great built quality, comes with the tools that you need, great instructions and works first time. What more do you want? I would most definitely recommend this product.
on 18 February 2013
I got the dreaded folder+? on booting my macbook. Turned out the internal disk was fine, but something else went wrong with the connection from the motherboard. At 800 euros to get it fixed, that was not going to happen. I eventually heard about the OWC data doubler. Followed instructions (also youtube videos can be found) and put my internal drive into the data doubler. Twenty minutes and I had my laptop back.

Strongly recommend this product.