on 22 February 2013
David Jason is the master of voice overs for children's stories and in this one he surpasses himself. I'm more than happy to sit down with my granddaughter when she asks to watch it time after time. Another classic which should be in everyone's home.
on 11 January 2013
I would recommend this to anyone who saw it first time brilliant choice. thankyou
something to watch again and again
on 18 June 2015
Got this for my 6 year old as they were learning about it at school. It's a rubbish restoration. The colour is drab, it hums all the way through and it's just generally rubbish. He watched it once moaning about the humming. He hasn't watched it since.
on 19 March 2014
Purchased for my daughter who has read the book and is covering Roald Dahl stories as a topic at school. She loved the old style animation as oppose the modern CG heavy cartoons and that the film sticks fairly faithfully to the book.
on 22 April 2014
Brilliant story all children can relate to - having dreams and nightmares - great book for a class read in conjunction with the film.
good for a two week literacy block.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 March 2014
Sophie, an orphan in a horrid orphanage, is kidnapped by a terrifying giant and it turns out to be the best thing that ever happened to her. The giant in question is the Big Friendly Giant and he becomes her family. For the first time, she knows love and security and fun and she sets out on a great adventure to save the BFG.
I just love this whimsical, naughty film, which seeks to redeem the image of giants. I have seen this film a couple of dozen times and the jokes only get richer and the dialogue more entertaining. David Jason does a wonderful job of being the voice of the BFG, with just the right blend of eccentricity, grumpiness and kindness. There are some unforgettable moments, such as when the the BFG and Sophie 'rumpfuttle' around his lair and when Sophie meets the queen, a motherly soul, beautifully played by Joanna Lumley.
This is a relatively old film now, but it stands the test of time very well and does not feel dated, although it lacks the visual tricks of more recent children's films. It is one of those timeless classics which are loved by generation after generation of children.
on 29 March 2014
Brilliant, just as I remember it from when I was a child!! And now my children love it as much as me!!
on 26 June 2014
My children loved this film when they were young and now I have bought it for my grandchildren. I think they will love it as well. I ordered it at 12.15pm and it arrived just over 24 hours later. Excellent service.
on 18 February 2013
I first bought this for my daughter some thirty years ago, she enjoyed the book and the film and now my grandchildren like it as well
on 16 March 2015
This was purchased as one of our children is currently reading the book and I remembered the story from years ago. Although the nasty Giants are indeed a bit scarey (lots of slobbering horrible mouths!), David Jason as the BFG is brilliant and really brings the story to life. The Whizzpopping song (and the shaking of Buckingham Palace) was the bit that brought the most laughs when watching. Although rated as U it does have a few frightening elements to it, something to consider depending on the age of the children watching.