1,112

on 10 April 2016
Now this may be well be an excellent 5G dongle, but for my laptop (Win 10, AMD quad, 2G) it just would not connect to my ViginMedia Super-hub.
I tried every way that I could, using the Win 10 trouble shooter (it said the device was working) and I tried the Super-hub with changing the suggested codes and adding the device MAC address. The dongle could "see" the hub and it had a great signal, it just would not connect.
Amazon have given me a no-quibble refund and I am now returning the item.
on 14 January 2016
Having managed to break my Belkin wireless N300 USB I was back to a snails pace with the internal wifi adapted in my ageing notebook. Although I was very happy with the Belkin, I chose to replace it with the TP-Link TL-WN823N on a whim.

The TP-Link seems to protrude a little further from the USB port than the Belkin when plugged in, which means I have to remove it when slipping in into its soft case but it certainly isn't huge. The drivers come supplied on a mini CD, which caused me a slight problem as my notebook has no optical drive and if the TP-Link web site does contain drivers, they certainly weren't easy to find. I ended up resolving this by copying the contents of the CD onto a USB thumb drive and across to the hard drive on the notebook. Installation was done exactly as recommended in the brief instructions - this installs both the TP-Link configuration utility software and also the drivers. Once complete, the configuration utility opens and should display a list of the available networks. Unfortunately, this was as far as I could get; no networks were displayed, even though they were present and available on other devices.

After uninstalling and reinstalling without success, searching for new drivers and going through the same processes again and more than three hours later I stumbled across a thread where someone else had the same problem and by process of elimination had worked out that it was an issue with the popular firewall Zone Alarm firewall. I uninstalled Zone Alarm, uninstalled & reinstalled the TP-Link software and was rewarded with immediate success. This was never an issue with the Belkin adapter, and I have no idea what the issue is but Speed as reported by Windows 7 had risen from 72Mbps to 144.5Mbps and range is fine throughout my home. Now I just need to find an alternative firewall to replace Zone Alarm.

In short, this seems to work well enough with Windows 7, and claims to also be compatible with newer versions. It is as fast in use as the Belkin, is of a manageable size and is reasonably priced.
on 15 August 2014
By Far the best dongle for the Raspberry Pi - However be aware it not a simple plug in and play with Pi unlike Windows - http://laurenthinoul.com/how-to-install-tp-link-tl-wn725n-on-raspberry-pi/ <<<<<<<<<<< This link is all you need to know about adding this. Great Product.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 August 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This TP-Link USB wireless adapator uses a common Realtek chip and is recognised by Windows Vista or 7 without needing to use the supplied disk; just plug it into a spare port and the driver will be installed automatically. Experience has taught me that it's invariably simpler to use Windows wireless management than to install peripheral manufacturer utilities.

Windows will support more than one wireless adaptor simultaneously, but of course can only use one at a time for network access. To test this adaptor in its primary role I disabled my laptop's internal wireless card, and after entering my wireless password flawless network access was obtained using the TL-WN823N. I could not say it works better than competing devices, and I would not expect it to, but as a cheap way to upgrade an older computer to N standard wireless I unreservedly recommend it.

So in terms of its core functionality the TL-WN823N is a competent performer, but it has another trick up it sleeve, it can be configured in Windows 7 as a wireless AP (access point) for the purpose of sharing an internet connection. For this to work the TP-Link utility software must be installed from the disk, and then SoftAP mode (for such it is called) is easily selected. The pdf manual seems to suggest it is possible to have the TL-WN823N both connect to a wireless router AND be an AP, I quote:

"With this feature, a computer can use a single physical wireless adapter to connect as a client to a hardware access point while at the same time acting as a software AP allowing other wireless-capable devices to connect to it."

But I could not achieve that result, if I used the TL-WN823N to connect to a router it would indeed also perform as an AP visible to other devices, but would not share an internet connection. If I used it to share a wired connection that worked fine. Possibly I will revisit that challenge and update this review accordingly.

To conclude, if you need a USB wireless N adaptor the TL-WN823N is a good one. Small, neat, with a full 300Mbps spec at an attractive price and carrying a three-year guarantee. The AP feature is something you may never need, but is a differentiation that sets the TL-WN823N apart from the crowd, and if you do need it someday you'll be very glad you chose this product.
on 21 October 2012
I've used full size TP Link wireless adapters before but I wanted something tiny that could be "fit and forget" for a 2006 XP laptop we were given that did not have an internal wifi card. This nano adapter is far better than a full size USB dongle for a laptop that is regularly moved about around the house by the kids as it will not get knocked out or dislodged. Installation was a breeze and it has full N speed, all for less than a tenner.

It really is the perfect solution.
66 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 July 2016
To start with, Windows 10 doesn't recognise the device and is unable to find drivers for it automatically. Not often I buy a piece of new hardware and Windows doesn't recognise it! Then, if you are foolish enough to use the drives which come on the accompanying CD, Windows will list the network adaptor as fully functional, but if you attempt to connect to a wireless router you'll find it's another story altogether as it it will list... nothing. Can't find anything. Now this could be a red herring - although there are plenty of 2.5Ghz routers in my vicinity, there's only one 5Ghz. However, I tried the CD on 3 different Windows 10 machines and not a single one of them could see any devices.

Next I did what I should have done when first realising Windows didn't have a driver and which is to download the latest version from the TP-LINK website. After removing the old driver and installing the new, the adaptor could now see my TP-LINK Archer C2600 device.

Which leads me onto my third point. Despite being only 4 meters from the router, the connection speed is abysmal - 144mps, a far cry from the 433 it claims. I know this is a maximum, but even so, I was expecting something better than this. I doubt this will last long, I'll end up paying more money for a more robust non-nano unit.

Edit: Revising my rating from 3 to 1 after spending an afternoon streaming music and having it drop the connection every few minutes. Would seem to be adapter related as other devices (RaspberryPi, Dell Venue 8 Pro) stream fine and don't drop.
on 6 April 2016
Arrived quickly and in a small enough parcel to fit through the letterbox.

This worked very well on my Windows 7 PC. It was easy to install (run the installation CD BEFORE plugging it into the PC. It uses the Windows 7 wireless manager rather than dumping a load of unnecessary software onto your PC.

The WPS button made connecting it to the router really easy.

My computer is a couple of rooms over from the wireless router and it worked perfectly. It seems to have better reception than the wireless on my laptop in the same room. Websites are opening very quickly compared to the old old Belkin stick I was previously using on this PC.

Please note that it doesn't work on Windows 10. There are no drivers on the TP-Link website to make it work with Windows 10.

Hope this review is helpful. Thanks for reading.
on 25 December 2015
Bought a couple of these for a pair of old Desktop PCs that had no internal network cards.

WIFI reception is iffy, but it usually is with these tiny USB wifi sticks. Its no problem to fix, you just use a USB extension cable to act as an arial and suspend the wifi stick well away from the electrical noise of the PC (which usually has its USB slots conveniently hidden in cable city alongside to the power pack, fan and graphics card at the rear of the PC). Alternately put it in a frontside USB slot and keep your fingers crossed.

By the way, this stick really is tiny so, once its inserted in its PC USB slot, you'll need some seriously long strong fingernails (or a good needle nose pliers) to extract it - if you have it on the end of a USB extender cable its a lot easier to get in and out.

The supplied driver disk has win7 drivers, which worked fine on my win10 PC. Then win 10 reidentifies it as a realtek card and downloads different drivers for it. Fine, it still works.
on 16 October 2015
The headline for this review could be "useless". Seting up under Windows 7 or 8 is a doddle, but the wireless connection simply isn't reliable. Mine dropped out repeatedly although the router is a mere 10 feet away, albeit through a double brick internal wall. Looks like it's time to get the carpets up and lay an Ethernet cable....
The Wifi card in my Lenovo laptop seems to have died. I tried to get a replacement internal wireless card, only to find that Lenovo make it almost impossible to replace the internal Wireless card (Google 'Lenovo whitelist' for more info). Then I came across this little beauty. It is tiny and plugs into a USB port where it can stay, blinking away with its green light. Internet speeds are the same as I had before - around 40Mbps.

It comes with a mini CD with drivers on but not having a CD drive to hand it was a little annoying trying to find the right driver on the TP-LINK website, simply because there is a V1 and V2 of this device. The website recommends reading the model number on the device itself to find out the right version, but it doesn't say on this. Then I read somewhere (probably another review on Amazon) that the version number is next to the barcode on the box. Mine was V2 - presumably they all are now unless there is some old stock around.

Did just what I wanted though - saved my laptop - and for just £7 (a lot cheaper than a replacement internal wifi card) so I am very pleased.