4.0 out of 5 stars Great Wifi Adapter for 10
Published 6 months ago by RR1224

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after 6 weeks!
This worked like a dream when I first installed it but after about 6 weeks it stopped working. At first the signal kept cutting out but now it won't connect at all. I don't get why it worked in the beginning but not now! Have tried reinstalling but this has not worked. Wouldn't recommend and have found the whole thing very frustrating!
Published 12 months ago by Bridget Ismail

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Wifi Adapter for 10, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: TLWN823N Mini Wireless N USB Adapter With Up To 300Mbps Speed. (Personal Computers)
After reviewing many Wifi adapters, the given was to avoid nano adapters as they couldn't handle long hours of surfing/HD streaming, the larger better range adapters were simply ugly and inconvenient to place. I went for the mini because it had 300Mbps which was a prerequisite for me plus it has small and sleek look. I am thoroughly happy with the adapter it performs very well at a long distance and doesn't have a drop in connection, I would recommend this item.

Why 4 stars and not 5? Well, another reviewer mentioned that it gets hot and that leads to a slow down in speed. This did happen to me, but only once, and since then I have connected it to a USB extension where it happily sits on my desk rather than glued to the back of my PC. The installation CD that came with it is rubbish, don't bother installing it simply use the CD as a coaster for your tea. Instead download the very latest drivers from the TP-Link website and away you go! A nice working WiFi adapter for 10!

I hope that helps.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after 6 weeks!, 31 July 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Roll the dice!, 26 Nov 2013
Have had this on two Win 7 systems. On one it worked fine. The other it cuts all of the time. No driver fixes it. I have wasted ages trying to solve it and resent the loss of my time far more than the cost. If you buy this be aware there is a chance it will cut out regularly. Or it might be okay. Roll the dice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Set up was simple, works instantly with my MiFi, 11 Nov 2013
M Poole "The Tillerman" (The wilds of Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
My computer did not have a connection to access a wifi signal, so I had a look at what would do the job for the best price and ended up with this mini adapter. It installed easily, connections are a breeze and it works beautifully with my Dell on Windows 7.

5.0 out of 5 stars Commodity Product With An Interesting Plus, 19 Aug 2012
Amazon Customer (Bedfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This TP-Link USB wireless adapator uses a common Realtek chip and is recognised by Windows Vista or 7 without needing to use the supplied disk; just plug it into a spare port and the driver will be installed automatically. Experience has taught me that it's invariably simpler to use Windows wireless management than to install peripheral manufacturer utilities.

Windows will support more than one wireless adaptor simultaneously, but of course can only use one at a time for network access. To test this adaptor in its primary role I disabled my laptop's internal wireless card, and after entering my wireless password flawless network access was obtained using the TL-WN823N. I could not say it works better than competing devices, and I would not expect it to, but as a cheap way to upgrade an older computer to N standard wireless I unreservedly recommend it.

So in terms of its core functionality the TL-WN823N is a competent performer, but it has another trick up it sleeve, it can be configured in Windows 7 as a wireless AP (access point) for the purpose of sharing an internet connection. For this to work the TP-Link utility software must be installed from the disk, and then SoftAP mode (for such it is called) is easily selected. The pdf manual seems to suggest it is possible to have the TL-WN823N both connect to a wireless router AND be an AP, I quote:

"With this feature, a computer can use a single physical wireless adapter to connect as a client to a hardware access point while at the same time acting as a software AP allowing other wireless-capable devices to connect to it."

But I could not achieve that result, if I used the TL-WN823N to connect to a router it would indeed also perform as an AP visible to other devices, but would not share an internet connection. If I used it to share a wired connection that worked fine. Possibly I will revisit that challenge and update this review accordingly.

To conclude, if you need a USB wireless N adaptor the TL-WN823N is a good one. Small, neat, with a full 300Mbps spec at an attractive price and carrying a three-year guarantee. The AP feature is something you may never need, but is a differentiation that sets the TL-WN823N apart from the crowd, and if you do need it someday you'll be very glad you chose this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really slow speed, 18 Mar 2014
It shows 300Mbps, but actually it can only reach 48Mbps max, usually 24Mbps...sometimes 36Mbps...sometimes lost connection. I wont recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it is supposed to do., 10 Feb 2014
If you are looking for an unobtrusive wireless adaptor, which does what it is supposed to do without fuss, I can recommend this one unreservedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 3 Feb 2014
The dongle works like any other. What impressed me is the fact I ordered it mid afternoon and it came the next day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good so far (1 month in), 28 Jan 2014
I was skeptical when reading reviews about it losing signal when hot or at seemingly random times, but I have been using it for a month now and haven't experienced any of these problems. My older one was about twice as long, and my dad managed to snap it in half while it was in the computer, so having a mini adapter is definitely worth it for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product and value for money, 6 Dec 2013
The mini wireless N USB Adapter was delivered on time and works brilliantly. Insert the adapter in a free slot USB and just follow the installation guide which is very easy to follow which involves installing the software in your PC with the Resource CD provided. Was able to connnect to the internet almost immediately.