5.0 out of 5 stars Good eyepiece for the money
Published on 12 Mar. 2013 by The Penguin

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
1.0 out of 5 stars Beware the positive reviews
These plossl lenses are cheap for a reason. They aren't that good really. No better if not worse than the stock eyepieces that come with your scope. I bought these on the basis that they may be better.

Published 15 months ago by Doors of Perception

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware the positive reviews, 30 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Orbinar Plossl 6.5mm eyepiece 31.7mm (1.25") (Electronics)

Now here's the kicker. The seller is offering you a free gift to encourage you to leave positive feedback. Sharp practice that just makes a mockery of the rating system don't you think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good eyepiece for the money, 12 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Orbinar Plossl 6.5mm eyepiece 31.7mm (1.25") (Electronics)
I have a 4mm Orbinar eyepiece. I like the 4mm version much better than the 4mm Astro eyepiece that came with my budget Celestron Firstscope. So, I decided to buy the 6.5mm version too. I have to say, I like the 6.5mm eyepiece better with the Firstscope. The image is brighter than the Orbinar 4mm eyepiece, eye relief and the field of view are better too. I think the Orion Nebula looks better with the 6.5mm eyepiece than with the 4mm version. I could see Jupiter and it's moons with both eyepieces, but Jupiter looked better through the 4mm eyepiece. Both eyepieces had a slight halo around Jupiter, but the halo wasn't as noticable with the 6.5mm eyepiece. I would give it 5 stars if it wasn't for the slight halo around Jupiter. I don't see the halo looking at the moon or stars though. By the way, the Celestron Firstscope has a 76mm mirror with a 300mm focal length. This eyepiece gives me about 46x magnification, compared to 75x with the 4mm eyepiece. I really wanted to get a 5mm eyepiece, but the price was too high. I got both the 4mm and 6.5mm Orbinar eyepieces for half what a 5mm eyepiece would have cost. I didn't want to spend big bucks on eyepieces for my low budget Firstscope and these did the trick!

Update to my review: I mentioned the 'halo' around Jupiter. I don't think this was caused by the eyepiece. I think it was due to the weather conditions and air pollution in my area. I looked at Saturn tonight and it looked just fine. I could see it clearly with both the 6.5 and 4mm eyepieces. It wasn't very big with the 6.5mm eyepiece at 46x. It was a bit bigger at 75x with the 4mm eyepiece. With both eyepieces, the ring looked like one big ring. I couldn't see any lines in the ring, but I could see a slight gap between the ring and the planet. I'm changing my review to 5 stars instead of 4, since this eyepiece can make my cheepo Firstscope look pretty darn good.

4.0 out of 5 stars It does seem to be good, 31 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Orbinar Plossl 6.5mm eyepiece 31.7mm (1.25") (Electronics)
Item arrived OK and was packaged well enough.
I saw a good review for a Seben 4mm eyepiece so thought I'd get this 6.5mm item. I had recently bought a Jessops telescope on sale for £40, it came with 20mm, 12.5mm and 6mm eyepieces and I suspected a problem with the 6mm as focussing was difficult and never really sharp. The Seben eyepiece has quite a small diameter (5mm) lens compared to the Jessops, (9mm), the field of view was improved by removing the rubber cup so my eye was closer, but later I refitted it. Looking at trees & signs a mile away in daylight didn't seem to show much difference between the eyepieces, focussing was easier and the view was sharper with both eyepieces compared to looking at Jupiter before.
Recently looking at Jupiter & Saturn the Seben eyepiece did look better than the Jessops one, I didn't get the colour fringing and the image looks good so I might try a 4mm eyepiece too.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Poor., 17 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Orbinar Plossl 6.5mm eyepiece 31.7mm (1.25") (Electronics)
I guess you get what you pay for.
Not at all impressed with this eyepiece.
Not interested in free gift for leaving good feedback. Would rather be honest.

It does work, but it's not especially comfortable to use due to the short eye relief.
Image clarity is pretty poor. Especially if used with a barlow lens.

Would I buy another. No. Would I recommend this to anyone else. No.
Would I recommend you spend more and get something better. Yes. I wish I had.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 24 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Orbinar Plossl 6.5mm eyepiece 31.7mm (1.25") (Electronics)
best eyepiece i have better than my 4mm and clearer love it if u have eyepieces u got with a telescope u may need or will need better ones plossl is a great start

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 23 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Orbinar Plossl 6.5mm eyepiece 31.7mm (1.25") (Electronics)
excellent optic, love it, its what ya need, look no further, i have to admit, since using these lenses, you Don't get what you pay for... you get MORE than what you pay for here, amazing value for money with out compromise.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Solid eyepiece, 2 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Orbinar Plossl 6.5mm eyepiece 31.7mm (1.25") (Electronics)
Small aperture but sharp image. This gives me 76x in my reflector - I tested in on some double stars and it worked well. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great eye piece, 22 July 2013
M. Loomes "Mattyboy" (Derby,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Orbinar Plossl 6.5mm eyepiece 31.7mm (1.25") (Electronics)
I brought this to expand my eyepieces selection (10mm and 20mm came with telescope) clear and crisp images, great sturdy build quality also and super fast delivery arrived with a week from Germany highly recommend seller a****

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value 6.5 mm Plossl, 8 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Orbinar Plossl 6.5mm eyepiece 31.7mm (1.25") (Electronics)
I wasn't sure about this, due to the low price, but for £11, what did I have to lose? It arrived before items ordered on the same day from a well known Fenland retailer (who left the actual item out of the envelope) and was packed in a very sturdy little pot. I did wonder how robust that pot was, looking at the picture, but with some closed cell foam padding top and bottom, it is worth keeping. The eyepiece itself appears well finished, is blackened inside the nosepiece and looks much better in the flesh than the picture shows. The internal filter thread is well cut and receives my Astro-Engineering Magnimax x1.6 Barlow with no problems at all. In use, it obviously has a very short eye relief, which is to be expected, and the full field requires a very close approach with the eye to be seen. That is not a fault, just a fact of life. If you have long eyelashes, you will be brushing the lens a little. Optically, this is well worth the outlay as, compared with the x10 MA which came with my Skywatcher 130 reflector, the view of Jupiter was just that little bit better. And that really is the forte of this little eyepiece - planetary observing. I've yet to try it on the moon, but I'm sure that, with the right filter, it would give good view of features on the lunar landscape.

Would I buy another Orbinar eyepiece? I rather think I would. I'm on a bit of a budget, and while it would be nice to afford Televues and Baaders, I can't help thinking that the outlay on a set of these in, say, 6.5, 15, 20 and 30 mm would not be wasted and would keep me going for some time. They say that you get what you pay for, and if that is the case, I'd better keep quiet, as I think this is very good value for the money. Keep that under your hat, eh?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product for the Price, 29 April 2014
This review is from: Orbinar Plossl 6.5mm eyepiece 31.7mm (1.25") (Electronics)
I was looking for a reasonably priced plossl as I am shopping on a budget. I was impressed with what this eyepiece offered for the price.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›