Grave Encounters, a ghost hunting television series hosted by Lance Preston films its sixth episode in an abandoned former mental hospital in this scare-filled mockumantary. Lance and his crew voluntarily lock themselves in the building overnight and begin their paranormal investigation, filming everything on the way.

I've been looking forward to seeing Grave...
Published on 13 Dec 2011 by rjmacreadys

3.0 out of 5 stars Who are you gonna' call? (not these guys)
Published on 24 April 2012 by Albatross

3.0 out of 5 stars Who are you gonna' call? (not these guys), 24 April 2012
This review is from: Grave Encounters [DVD] (DVD)
I hear there's plenty of `ghost-hunting' shows on cable TV stations these days (I can't name any, because I deliberately don't watch them, but I hear there's a fair few). Grave Encounters is a kind of Blair Witch Project set in a lunatic asylum. A documentary film crew go there to continue making a series of ghost-hunting programmes, only to find - guess what - they get locked in and find that there's something really real there after all (surprise!).

If you liked Blair Witch, or Cloverfield, or any movie filmed entirely on handheld camera, then you might like this. It's not bad. Like the others in its genre, it's well-acted. You can believe that the cast are really getting freaked out. The first half of the film is basically scene-setting - not many scares. Then it picks up in the second half with plenty of screaming into the camera and shaky footage of something nasty, lurking in the shadows ready to make you jump.

Like I say, if you're into these sorts of films, you'll probably enjoy it - it's certainly not at the bottom of the pile when it comes to these sorts of `mock reality' films. I just found myself thinking that I'd seen all this before, just set in a wood somewhere. At least there are no close-up shots of noses running. These ghostbusters must have packed enough Kleenex.

4.0 out of 5 stars If this is what The Vicious Brothers' debut movie is like, I can't wait for their next one., 13 Dec 2011

I've been looking forward to seeing Grave Encounters since I saw the trailer online around a year ago. Although this is by no means an original horror, the trailer just did a fantastic job of making it look unmissable. I had to see this, and by no means was I disappointed. Grave Encounters is filmed in the POV "shaky-cam" format, which really adds to the suspense and scare-factor, most things I just was not expecting at all and I jumped more than a handful of times.

The ghosts, largely unseen in the first half of the movie, are genuinely scary although the effects to their facial features are simple yet effective and had me jumping out of my seat countless times.

I will mention one issue I had with the film: pacing. In particular towards the end, it just goes on for a bit too long. But it's such a small complaint in an otherwise brilliant movie though. If this is what The Vicious Brothers' debut movie is like, I can't wait for their next one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly well done, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: Grave Encounters [DVD] (DVD)
A good take-off of Ghost Adventures and Paranormal State!
Much better than a lot of other found-footage films and definitely worth a look

4.0 out of 5 stars Good found footage horror, worthy for your collection, 4 Dec 2013
D. Stan (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grave Encounters [DVD] (DVD)
I discovered this horror gem in 2013, and I was glad that it is really cheap on Amazon.

When I first saw it the last 28 minutes of the movie seemed to pass really slowly, it was very intense. It has very good replay value, and when you re-watch it you can see that actually some of the intense scenes are quite funny.

I know it received poor critic reviews, but I've seen many movies being reviewed badly, that are quite good actually, so don't take the reviews as a guidance in this case. Buy, watch and return if you don't like.

My advice is: if you are after asylum based horror, ignore the "Asylum tapes" and go straight for this one.

Acting wise I can't fault it (as I did for Blair Witch Project, my fav. lost footage horror) - all the guys are good, especially Sean Rogerson who seemed to be born for this role.

It gets 4 stars mainly because there is no audio commentary, I was really looking forward to hear what the Vicious Brothers have to say about their movie.

It plays on the Mac (I bought many DVDs from Amazon who had Windows autoplay installers and didn't play on my Mac, so it worth mentioning)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good movie. Bad ending., 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: Grave Encounters [DVD] (DVD)
Watched this movie last night after reading quite a few good reviews of it. It was a very enjoyable watch however I felt it suffered from what a lot of horrors do which was a bad ending.

While watching I had came up with my own conclusion half way through of how I thought they would explain away the goings on but I was surprised to find not only was I wrong but there was no explanation.

I always find it kind of strange when you watch a film that's good or bad and they think it's okay to end it and not give any answers at all to why the things that went on were possible.

I'm not going to give any spoilers but they are basically in a haunted asylum and several cameras have been set up to monitor everything going on. It starts with some guy in a movie studio telling you it's unedited footage that was found as they were making it for the sixth episode of a TV show but at the end it doesn't even flash back to him which I felt would have been a better close.

I did enjoy watching this movie but I could never give it more than three stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars TV Reality Show Gets More Than it bargained for in this Found Tape Fright Fest., 2 July 2012
Tommy Dooley "Tom" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Grave Encounters [DVD] (DVD)
I am the sort of person that normally does not get very moved by horror, I find slasher flicks quite boring and scream fests bordering on juvenile, however this film had the hairs on the back of my neck rising and I am well hairy so that is some feat.

It all starts off with a group of intrepid paranormal instigative journalists or TV rip off chancers as some would call them, having their tapes found by the TV Company. They are doing a pilot series called `Grave Encounters' where they investigate haunted places and film the lot using the latest in ghost spotting technology, including Geiger counters and ectoplasm sensitive cameras - yeah right. Well any hoo they are on episode six - `the haunted asylum'- where they are at a former mental hospital. This was a place where experimental medicine was carried out on the patients, including frontier lobotomies, institutionalised abuse, suicide and murder - bwaaah!

Led by naked self promotionalist, front man Lance Preston (Sean Rogerson) they pull out all the stops to ramp up the fright levels for the viewer, as Lance says `with slow motion and the right music behind it, everything is creepy'. So they go for a voluntary `lockdown' for eight hours on the building, the care taker will return at 6 am to let them out. They then rig up the building with cameras to take advantage of known `cold spots' to capture the other worldly goings on, then the bumps in the night begin and all of a sudden things aren't that funny anymore.

This is a first outing for writers and directors `The Vicious Brothers', and I must say boys you have made quite an entrance. I was genuinely cacking myself on more than one occasion and what is more impressive is that as these are supposed to be edited down `found tapes' there is no music to aid in ramping up the fear factor. As this is yet another `found tape', film, there will inevitably be comparisons to the likes of `Blair Witch Project', `Cloverfield' and even `Troll Hunter'. This though deserves recognition in its own right as adding to the genre rather than reinventing or stealing from it. We do have lots of different camera types which are used to great effect to maximise the atmosphere of fear.

It runs for an increasingly scary 92 minutes, but there is no filler here so not only is it about right in length, but it is one of those that almost feels much shorter. I am now awaiting the next offering from the brothers who actually are Colin Minihan and Stuart Ortiz, and we won't have long as they are putting the finishing touches to the imaginatively named `Grave Encounters 2', which I wish them every success with - this is one to watch, but with the lights on.

4.0 out of 5 stars A surprising debut, 25 April 2012
Dismal Angel "Ash" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Grave Encounters [DVD] (DVD)
Found footage movies are already becoming the overdone horror bog standard of today's movie scene; so many have been made already and used almost every cliche in the book that it's hard to really scare the audience and throw something new and unexpected out there.

Have to say this one however was a surprising debut from two very young and talented directors who seem to have nailed delivering startling jumps and heartbeat skipping scares to even those who are expecting it. I have to say there were scares and scenes in this film that were unexpected (and I have been watching horror movies for over twenty years). These guys deliver what so few directors in the horror genre really fail to.

To you horror fans out there, this probably sounds too good to be true - if the scares are decent, there has to be a catch, and truly, there is. The catch being that the story is already more or less using story material from several other films that most will recognise (the remake of House on Haunted Hill and Boo to name but a few), so don't really expect anything major in the lines of "fresh" here. Another catch is that while the actors are no doubt talented in other roles, they do not act well as 'natural' in reality show scenarios, therefore give very obvious performances which took me right out of giving a damn what happens to the characters.

A few scares were quite unique, a few you saw coming a mile away (some you could see an hour before it even occurred!) but for a first shot horror film from The Vicious Brothers, this was an impressive attempt and really shows there is potential here for something big in a few years to come.

If you liked Paranormal Activity and think Most Haunted is entertaining because it's so fake, then this will be right up your alley. Give it a go, you might be pleasantly surprised.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better then expected, 29 Jun 2014
There were some jumpy bits. A little predictable, which is why I didn't rate it higher.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad acting - nothing more to say really, 26 Jun 2014
K. Lawrie (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grave Encounters [DVD] (DVD)
Awful. Was told this was a good movie hence why I bought it. Don't waste your money, buy something else. Acting is awful.

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable film, 4 Jun 2014
I actually found this rather amusing than scary, but it did make me jump a couple of times. If you like ghost adventures you will love this! well worth a watch. Just a little tip dont bother with the second one its crap, but you do get to see what happened to the guy in this ( I skipped through a fair bit of the second one)

Grave Encounters [Blu-ray]
Grave Encounters [Blu-ray] by The Viscious Brothers (Blu-ray - 2012)
18.44