5.0 out of 5 stars a very good book for young readers
My son rated it 4 stars, my daughter 5. So, it should be really 4.5 stars.

Published on 21 Jun 2012 by Frenchie

3.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed the missing gnomes more
I've had the pleasure of reading two of Paul Moxham's short story and although my previous one was much better ('Mystery of the Missing Gnomes') this was still a good, well-structured read. Very much reminding me of Secret Seven and Famous Five I didn't seem to warm to the children as much in this one, for whatever reason. I think I just found the Gnome mystery more...
Published 2 months ago by SJSmith

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars a very good book for young readers, 21 Jun 2012
Frenchie - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Mystery of Smugglers Cove (The Mystery Series, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
My son rated it 4 stars, my daughter 5. So, it should be really 4.5 stars.

From the point of view of a parent, I think it is an excellent book for young readers. It has it all, the holidays, the children turned detectives, the bad guys, the well described seaside with caves, the adults called away because of crisis. It is well written, no bad language and no modern gadgets.

a - My 11 year old son said it was ok but at times, he got a bit bored because it was a bit simple. But I think that he has outgrown this type of books since he has started to read more Young Adults books. After all, he has read most of Enid Blyton's books, starting by the Secret Seven, the Mysteries series, the Famous 5, and all the stand alone stories of elves, fairies, brownies, toys coming alive etc... So, I can understand that he is a bit saturated.

b - My younger daughter, on the other hand, who is soon to be 9, has really liked it because she has identified herself to Sarah, the youngest of the gang. She has felt the suspense and she said that she got scared at times about what would happened to the children once they were discovered by the crooks. She was also very impressed by Sarah's brave act towards the end. The English was easy for her to read and understand.

So, all in all, I would say that you cannot go wrong by getting The Mystery of Smugglers Cove, if your children are aged between 7-10. Beyond this age, it depends on the child's maturity and what s/he has read just before, ie. The Rangers' apprentice series or Time riders or Artemis Fowl just to name a few, then s/he might find a bit a step backwards.

And based on what my children told me, and what I read for myself, I shall get for my daughter The Mystery of the Missing Gnomes and The Mystery of the Missing Money by the same author.
..........
edited to add one star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quintessentially English, A Jolly Good Read, 23 Jun 2012
I noticed that this book was free and ordered it for my daughter. Really, the title drew me to it, it has that Blytonesque hint of mystery and excitement to come. We were not disappointed. My daughter absolutely loved it and made me read it to her every bedtime.

When Joe, Amy and Sarah have to move to Smugglers' Cove after a fire at their house little do they know about the amazing adventure which awaits them.

Well worth a look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reviewed by my daughter Abbie, age 9, 4 April 2013
I think this is an amazing book, that made me want to keep on reading the others in the series. It's really fun, mysterious, gets you thinking a lot, and makes you want to keep on reading to find out what happens next.

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable adventure, 2 Feb 2014
Brilliant book! Just like reading a Enid Blyton adventure when I was a child would recommend to both children and adults.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 25 Jan 2014
Who doesn't love a good mystery! A great story about a group of curious kids. What's not to love, eh?

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 23 Jan 2014
This was my first book on kindle fire and I loved it.
I am a bit disappointed on some bits but overall great

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 1 Jan 2014
this is a great book for children especially if you enjoy adventure and mystery stories.
Defiantly worth the reading this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 18 May 2013
This book was absolutely amazing and I couldn't leave it down. I am begging you to write another novel. I haven't been this thrilled by a book in ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars exciting book, 17 May 2013
This is the first of the series my grandson has read and he was hooked which is quite something for a 10 year old football mad boy. he cant wait to read more

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mystery, 10 May 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this adventure mystery book. I couldn't put it down. Kept me wondering how it would turn out. A great book for young and old. Some good action and quick thinking.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›