I got back from vacation this week and it felt like Christmas opening up the AudioFly AF78M package and Jewel Box--the presentation is first class!

The cord has a rich feel and looks elegant (I just checked it is Cordura(R) and Kevlar(R)!!!); I compress the foam tips and the earphones fit perfectly in my ears; this is a really comfortable hybrid-dual driver design--the body fit perfectly in my outer-ear/pinna area, and provides just the right pressure on the foam tips in my ear canal, to really get a good seal and good bass response coupling with my ear drum.

First track Dave Brubeck, Take Five sounded amazing, the instruments were fully defined and separated in the sound stage. The next track was Rebecca Pidgeon's Spanish Harlem, a Chesky Audiophile classic--wonderful again with a detailed sound-stage, vividly defined instruments and great tonal balance. Stevie Ray Vaughan's Tin Pan Alley--smooth, resolving, timbre is perfect--the AF78M's are EAR CANDY!

Now, I am listening to some Ludacris, "How Low" and Wiz Khalifa tracks with some really low bass notes that hit up and down the lower frequencies--no hesitations, smooth as any well-balanced-full-range audiophile-grade home audio, or competition car audio system.

I am smiling right now, as I re-visit my favorite tracks! I would recommend this to anyone in the $200-400 USD price range, who may not like the poor bass response of balance armatures, but love the mids and highs of balanced armatures. This Hybrid design uses a dynamic driver for the lows and a balanced armature for the mids and highs, the integration is nearly flawless. I plan on letting them break in and follow up.
on 1 July 2013
The AF78s are beautifully made earphones with a powerful sound. Compared with many other higher end earphones (I've owned one or two!) the AF78 is up with the best. I'm using the AF78M (the mic version of the AF78) with my iPhone.

Audiofly was a new brand for me, but reading up on them it appears they've been available in Australia (where they come from) for a couple of years. I'm always nervous of spending money on new brands, but looking about online there is plenty of good stuff said about the brand.

The hybrid design (balanced armature and dynamic drivers) is an interesting use of technology, but more importantly it results in powerful bass and accurate trebles. Fit is very comfortable - the earphones sit nicely into the bowl of the ear and the nozzles are angled to fit well in the ear canal.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend the AF78.
on 14 July 2014
Awesome sound quality - these are dual driver earphones - which means inside they have two different elements to produce the sound - a regular dynamic driver + a balanced armature...I'm no expert by any stretch but you can hear heaps of detail - the bass is nice and punchy, voices are crystal clear....and the high notes are wonderful - especially piano and string instruments. So...I can't really fault the sound at all. If I had to pick one tiny thing - it is that they do not have an open, airy sound.... which is no surprise since the design is closed and they are in ears.
I've just listened to an old Nirvana album with these on.. and the sound really did blow me away. I have thought about selling these headphones because I use my JVC FRD80 so much, but after hearing Nirvana through these... I think I will keep them :)

The cable feel really strong and built to last, with the exception of the headphone jack - the aluminium housing has come off (not glued properly). It's looks like an easy fix, and Audiofly customer services have offered to repair so I will see what the turnaround is, otherwise will just glue myself. Not what you expect for the price though.

Fit is quite good - I can sleep with them in my ears which is nice, as they sit flush against your ear. There is a bit of cable noise and the fit is not strong enough for the gym. Also the microphone is average in terms of sound quality. So... would I buy these again? If the price was below £70, then yes - otherwise I would be tempted to see how they compare with the Sony XBA-H1 or just stick with my excellent JVC HA-FRD80 which only cost £25 and are only a little inferior in sound quality.
on 2 February 2014
I am not an audiophile but you have to appreciate the clarity and the neutral sound from these excellent earphones. I found I was able to hear sounds on tracks that simply were not there when listening on my previous earphones. Instruments are faithfully reproduced and bright. In my opinion these earphones are exceptional, comfortable and under rated however could be further improved by adding a volume switch, an L shape connection plug and a proper case. The tin they provide is useless far to small to fit the earphones in and the lid falls off.
on 4 October 2014
Having read all the rave reviews about these headphones I decided to buy. I waited with baited breath to try these.
When they first arrived I tried them with all different types of music but couldn't seem to get the sound or seal in my right ear, after a day of use the right hand earbud fell apart which may explain the lack of sound.
Needless to say these where sent back and a replacement pair sent by Amazons fantastic returns service.
The new pair arrived and all I can say is WOW the sound was fantastic you can hear things in songs that you didn't hear before, i was really pleased for a while. Then after about three days the same problem came back, lack of sound in the right speaker. There is sound there but it's very distant, it makes me think that the main drivers at fault.
I did want to give these another try but Amazon are now investigating whether the've a bad batch.
That's why I'm disappointed, when they were working they're the best headphones I've heard ever but it was to brief and makes me question the build quality and seeing as these are nearly £200 that shouldn't be a problem.
on 12 January 2014
Super pair of earphones! made to immerse yourself into whatever music, you like.

Note: They open up even more when you've used them 30+ hours (my opinion)

Recommended
on 8 August 2014
These headphones are amazing - it's quite a thick sound at first, but it realise that I'm hearing new things in songs I've been listening to for years. The sound is very present, across all frequencies - I need good bass and these deliver. I haven't noticed any distortion, mentioned in other review. Just blown away by the amount of new textures I'm noticing in music I've been listening to for 20 years. Highly recommended.
on 3 November 2014
Massively disappointed.
The earphones are good looking and come in a nice packaging with loads of bits.
The bass is good but the mids are very average, not very clear.

After just one month of usage the chrome plastic bit that holds the logo and covers the wires of the speaker has broken out.
Product is way too expensive to last this long.
Look elsewhere.
review image
on 9 July 2014
Look great apart apart from the cable. However the sound was terrible. Headphones were distorting. I had to return for a refund.
on 6 February 2015
the microphone is flimsy, broke after a couple of weeks. noise reduction is poor