Published 11 months ago by Flower Girl

I have recently moved into a flat that has one of these Duronic smoothie makers. At first I thought "Great! Smoothie maker. Looks heavy duty too."

I've just had to throw my smoothie away.

Published 2 months ago by Rebecca

5.0 out of 5 stars This blender is a powerful kitchen work horse...and brilliant value for money!, 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: Duronic BL1200 Stainless Steel Jug Blender, 1.8 Litre, 1200 Watt (Kitchen & Home)
Before buying a heavy duty blender, I researched all the very expensive über cool makes and came to the conclusion that it is the power of the motor that determines the capacity to blend all sorts of food items. This blender rates right up there with the best...but at a fraction of the price! I've had mine for over a year now, and suddenly the jug started to leak. I contacted the seller, returned the jug and within the week I had a new jug....no arguing, no problem at all so very impressed with their customer service. So far I have crushed ice, made vegetable/fruit smoothies and soups, and then used the cleaning programme to clean it afterwards....it's brilliant! With the 1.8 litre jug the capacity is great. I have recommended this blender to all of my friends and family and they are thrilled with theirs.Yay!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best blender I've bought so far!, 17 July 2014
Richard Swan (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
Really enjoying using this blender.

I've never had the luxury of the Blendtec or Vitamix level (extortionate) of blenders, but must have had experience of maybe 20 or so different makes and models.

I always loved my Magic Bullet blender, which sadly hit the dust recently, finally collapsing under the weight of constant use. :(

When it comes to jug blenders, or big blenders, this is the very best I've ever experienced.

The power of the engine running the blades REALLY makes a difference. The 'greens' of my regularly concocted green smoothies are completely broken down to a lovely creamy dish; no bits or floaters common from weaker blenders.

I'm blending pretty much every other day. It's mostly smoothies, so the hardest components being ice cubes and frozen veg - this thing destroys them in seconds. Also done some soups and pancake mixes etc. - all great.

Some reviewers have called the jug "too heavy" - not had a problem with it.
Legs - the whole thing has been perfectly stable for me.
Burning smell - can't say I really noticed anything untoward.
Leaks - none at all.

Really enjoying the blender. About a month or so in now of constant use, and very surprised by just how different and much better the texture of smoothies and mixes are with this powerful blender.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product. Great customer service..., 14 Jan 2013
I was seriously considering buying a Blendtec when I came across this alternative. With it's larger jug, similar power and considerably cheaper price tag, plus the positive reviews I'd read, it seemed a no-brainer. And 4 months on I can say that I am very happy with my decision. I have seen some negative reviews about bits breaking but, touch wood, we've seen no problems so far. Admittedly we have not used the ice crushing function and the self clean one only once or twice and these may put more strain on some parts but with a house of 4, our blender gets a lot of use. The smoothie function is used at least once pretty much every morning, more often twice, and it is often used later on in the day again especially when people are doing a cleansing diet. Maybe there was a bad batch that caused the bad reviews but from our experience this blender is more than worth the price tag. Hope this helps...:-)

***UPDATE***
After nearly 2 years I thought I'd write a little update. I must admit that the jug and base of this blender have had their fair share of issues but the customer service has been amazing and possibly saved me from reducing the number of stars. The jug can develop some 'slack', for want of a better word, around the blades which can result in a nasty noise and leakage from the jug itself. Too much leakage into the base can overwhelm the drainage hole and cause problems. However, the blade section is easily replaced, using the black plastic lid as a tool, and Duronic have replaced this section for me at least twice over the past 2 years. They have also replaced the whole jug on a couple of occasions and even the base twice. It's fair to say that the unit I have is not the original one I bought so you could question the build quality somewhat but I think that for the money, actual blending performance and customer service it still deserves 5 stars. Maybe I'm just too soft...;-) Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 22 Mar 2014
Gretchen Schroeder (Redmond, WA U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
I was caught up in the info-mercial for the Magic Bullet and the NutriBlast. I wanted to increase my health by making veg/fruit smoothies.

After several days of research I chose this blender for its cost which is less than the two mentioned products but also twice the wattage. The Nutriblast is only 600 watts and has the life span of 1 year & its motor tends to burn out if not treated with care - I do want to purchase one for travel as it is compact but it has no where near the power of the Duronic nor the capacity. The Nutriblast burns out when using it for ice or if it is too full or not enough water is used. The Duronic however is a work horse though I'm treating it with respect.

The Duronic does not come with a 30 minute commercial but it is by far the superior product if you want to make smoothies and can't afford the Vitamax with it's intimidating price tag. Don't be fooled by the claim that the blades are the key and that other blenders do not make the 'cells' available for ingestion. I found out that the Nutriblast is just the Magic Bullet with a makeover and is not a breakthrough in technology.

Save your money, get a superior blender with twice the capacity and life span - get a Duronic. I've used it now for a few months and am thrilled with it. My husband and step son are now using it too for smoothies!

5.0 out of 5 stars This blender is like no blender I have met before!!, 7 Jan 2013
m00ncat (Teesside, UK) - See all my reviews
I wanted a strong machine that can handle ice and make ice slashes and smoothies like the Starbucks ice frappachino drinks... Well this is perfect. The machine is loud (as expected to be when crunching ice) and can really handle anything. I've used it everyday since I got it and its amazing. It handles ice, frozen yogurt, frozen fruits, anything you can chuck at it.
I've managed to use up and freeze all my fruit that was going off, and added it to the smoothies so there is no waste. It's the best start to the day, fresh fruit ice smoothie with pomegranate and cranberry :)
The jug is heavy duty and made of glass. I'm not sure why other reviewers have had problems with the jug as it just lifts off the base. It has a smoothie setting, an auto clean setting and an ice crush setting as well as a dial to select your own blending speed. After I've used it, just put a pint or so of warm water and a bit of washing up liquid and run for 10 secs on auto clean and it's all cleaned up and ready to rinse. No need to put your hand in to wash the blades!!
Couldn't be happier with my blender :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Read and heed the 1 star reviews for this. My recommendation: Avoid This Product., 18 July 2014

I've just had to throw my smoothie away.

I've been here three weeks. I've used the smoothie maker fairly regularly - as has my boyfriend. Neither of us have filled it very full, nor used it for very long at any one time. We've been careful.

At first we were delighted with it - it seems to make very smooth smoothies, even with frozen fruit.

About 2 weeks ago I started noticing a burning smell emitting from the smoothie maker when it was in use. This disturbed me, but we continued to use it cautiously.

Tonight after I had made my smoothie with it and poured the smoothie into a glass, I proceeded to clean the smoothie maker. Whenever I picked it up, I noticed it was leaving small amounts of black fluid on the worktop, presumably from the base of the jug.

I wondered if the gunk was just one of the ingredients of the smoothie (unlikely - and it didn't smell like fruit either) that had somehow leaked.

I was curious, and by now worried, enough to Google about the black goo.

I found the 1 star reviews here on Amazon and read them all with growing horror. Someone mentioned that they watched the water turn a nasty colour when they ran a cleaning cycle. I've realised I've watched that over the past week or so too, I just thought at the time that it was turning a dirty colour due to, y'know, cleaning the inside of the smoothie maker after use.

Now the pieces have come together. Like in other peoples' cases, this unit has exhibited the following for me:

- A burning smell when in use (even when 1/3 full and only on for a few seconds);
- Black goo coming out the bottom of the unit;
- Cleaning water turning a horrible colour (inferring the black goo has been getting up into drinks, possibly).

Really not impressed. Don't know if the black gunk is dangerous to consume but I'm not going to risk it. I also don't know how long this unit has been in this flat. Won't be using it again though, and if you're thinking about purchasing this smoothie maker, I'd recommend you avoid it like the proverbial.

2.0 out of 5 stars First impressions, 30 Nov 2012
Craig (Merseyside, UK) - See all my reviews
Many people post reviews early on but not after a period of time and don't update. These are my impressions and experience after a week with this blender but I will update over time.

The first one I ordered arrived damaged so I sent that back, waited, got a refund (there wasn't an exchange option on Amazon for it) and ordered another one. The second arrived but it seems to have been used already. The twist wire around the mains cable was very loose compared to the first and on close inspection, there was what seemed to be a little bit of dried fruit at the bottom stuck to the plastic. Apart from that it was clean and new looking. The packaging arrived a little battered too. I'm just so fed up of sending things back lately than I've just decided to keep it. I've washed it thoroughly and I've been using it to make smoothies and soup.

Someone mentioned a burning smell when using it. Frankly, this is my 3rd blender and all 3 have done that, my last one which lasted 12 years did that until it started leaking so I sort of expect that now and don't see it as an indication of a short life. Another comment says the base is quite light. I have to agree it is fairly light and when you turn it on, it does move around on the surface to start with. I've found if I put my hand on top of it when I press the "smoothie" preset button, it will stay in place and you can just leave it to go through it's cycle of mix - blend - mix - blend. I usually put in the following ingredients: banana (broken into 4 pieces), apple cut into pieces, frozen berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackcurrants, redcurrants etc), peanut butter, seeds (sunflower, flaxseed, sesame seeds) and soya milk (as I'm vegan). I also make green smoothies with spinach, broccoli etc. I've never needed to add things after blending some of it, I throw it all in and it blends quite well. It does an OK job at blending the seeds too but as someone already stated, it does leave some of the seeds from the berries in the mix (which I like anyway) but no trace of the other seeds I added. If you want blended seeds you really need a Vitamix blender for about £550! Similarly, I make soup with various pre-cooked veg and it did an excellent job. I've not tried it with ice yet, only frozen fruit.

The glass jug is good quality and heavier than the base, the lid fits tightly, when you sit the jug on the base it light up, there are 3 buttons and a dial. The buttons are Smoothie, Self-clean and Ice crusher and the dial allows you to custom the power to what you would like rather than using the preset buttons. According to one poster on here, the lid can be used in someway to unscrew the blades for cleaning but I've not figured that out at all. From what I can see, it's not possible to remove the blades for cleaning. In which case you really need to clean it the second you have finished using it. If I find otherwise, I will add it to this review later.

That's how it stands. I'm not going to say I recommend it just yet because it's early days, I'll give it time first but on first impressions, it is very good quality, looks nice, is quite tall but fits under my wall cupboards fine and it blends well. This is a blender which requires liquid in the mix to blend, some people think they will blend things on their own, that's not what a blender does. If you just want juice then buy a juicer.

Edit: 3 months on (Feb 19 2013). I've used the blender nearly every day and it's still going strong, it's been brilliant so far. There is no way to take the blades out but I've not found it a problem to clean as I do it straight away before having my smoothie and the jug is so wide that it's easy to your your hand in and clean it properly.

Edit: 9 months on (15th August 2013). I've used the blender most days (not every day), just once a day to make a smoothie. I'm now having the same issues as other reviewers in that the jug now leaks from the base (it appears because the blade fitments have come loose) with no way to repair it (the nut holding the blades in place is embedded into the glass) because the blade is loose, it makes the 'clunking' sound other reviewers have reported. Also I got an electric shock off the base when I touched it yesterday which wasn't pleasant. I love what the blender does, it makes great smoothies but there seem to be inherent manufacturing issues with this blender. When rating it I want to give it the 4 stars for what it does but I now have to give it 2 stars due to the issues with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, powerful and great looking, 7 Oct 2012
After struggling with a few broken Kenwood Smoothie-2-go's, we decided to upgrade to a better investment. The primary purpose has been to crush ice, and so far the Duronic's Blender is absolutely brilliant at doing this. The program settings are really excellent on the device, easily crushing ice and making great smoothies. The Auto clean feature is a really nice 'extra' as cleaning is really simple. The blender is also extremely well built and very good looking for a simple blender.

UPDATE: After under 2 months the blender unfortunately gave up, the motor seemed to burn out. Primarily it had been used to blend ice with liquid, using the 'Ice' setting. Amazon refunded the item under warranty, which was greatly appreciated and no hassle. It is quite unfortunately the blender couldn't take ice blending, and we're left with a question as to what to buy next that will last the distance (Blendtec are a bit out of our price range!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wary and skeptical, 11 April 2013
Having decided to invest in a juicer/blender, I looked around the marketplace to find that one particular manufacturer appeared to be head and shoulders above all others on all levels, that was the Vitamix. The cost was above and beyond what I could justify to just mix up some fruit & veg, but I really didn't want to waste money, buying something I regret. I read all the Amazon reviews for the Duronic 1200 and it seemed that apart from a slight burning smell emanating from the motor when in use and the unit moving about on a worktop due to the vibration when turned on, everything seemed positive, albeit for a very reasonable budget price machine. Having dealt with Amazon/Amazon Marketplace for many years, I had complete confidence in ordering the blender, safe in the knowledge that for any reason in the short term, if not completely satisfied, I could return it with a full refund. The unit is superb! Yes, an initial 'burning smell' when used for the first half dozen times, but certain that's just due to the initial settling in, and yes, the unit does vibrate and move around when switched on, but again, in such a small footprint it's really not a problem. The only disappointment was the noise of the thing, but again, having looked at all the other blenders with this power output, including the £500 Vitamix, they're all pretty much the same decibel level. The finished 'smoothies' are equally as good as anything you'd buy from a shop, provided you cut up the ingredients into 3/4cm pieces before they go into the jug. For individual palettes they would probably benefit from being diluted down a tad as they come somewhat thicker in consistency than mass produced drinks of the same, which is easy to do by adding some regular Supermarket fruit/veg juice from a carton. This does defeat the object of 100% home juicing but if it makes the drinking experience more preferable, you're still getting all the benefit of your own fresh ingredients in a drink. For the cost of this little gem, it delivers as much power and perfect results as anything twice, 3x, 10x the cost. The self cleaning feature is brilliant, quick and effective, Ice crushing the same. I'd strongly recommend it to everyone...HAPPY JUICING!

5.0 out of 5 stars Immensely Satisfying, 23 Aug 2014
Love this! It's excellent Value. Before buying this I saw video reviews of other blenders that can even blend an ipad into a pulp. I like my ipad, I prefer to use it rather than blend and consume it, so I bought this blender instead..... I was not disappointed, the heavy glass jug is really easy to clean and the power is strong too, also blends ice no problem for an instant cold shake! yum!