5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably good!
I've heard so many good things about the various series by Jennifer L. Armentrout, I decided it was about time I gave her a go myself. I picked Obsidian because it had been raved about, it had a hot alien, and it the main character is a book blogger. Sold! And wow, this book is awesome!

Katy has moved to West Virginia with her Mum. It's the last place she...
Published 6 months ago by Jo

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable writing style
Published 12 months ago by Lhara

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable writing style, 16 July 2013
This review is from: Obsidian (Lux Novel) (Paperback)
I did enjoy this book but it wasn't by any means perfect. Someone whose reviews I follow on GoodReads said that this book was pretty much like the author had decided to re-write Twilight. The thing is, some parts were too familiar: a new girl in a small town, inexplicable group of people that are ostracised by 'normal' people, hot/cold male lead, and the girl always seeming to find herself in perilous situations that could have easily been avoided or foreseen.

What carries this book for me is the dialogue. It's snappy and sharp. And whilst I didn't always like Daemon, the chemistry between him and Katy is brilliant. And I loved his sister, Dee, too. And I liked Katy's other friends, even if there wasn't much development of them.

What I also like is that Katy is essentially one of us. A blogger. An avid reader. And she is relatable and in that respect, likeable.

This was a fun read and I'm already onto the next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably good!, 19 Jan 2014
Jo (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Obsidian (Lux Novel) (Paperback)

Katy has moved to West Virginia with her Mum. It's the last place she wanted to go; she's not too keen on being the new girl in such a small town. She tries to make friends with her next door neighbours before school starts, and that's when she meets him. Daemon. The most arrogant, insulting - not to mention smoking hot - guy she has ever met. His sister, Dee, is adorable, and they become close friends. But Katy can't stand Daemon - yet can't help being drawn to him. When he stops time to save her life, she discovers a secret: he and Dee are aliens. Aliens with enemies. And he's just put a trace on her, alien mojo making her shine brighter than Times Square. Now the Arum are after her. So Katy now has to spend a whole lot more time around Daemon. What a bummer...

SO GOOD! Oh my god, it's ridiculous how good this book is! It's the first YA book I've read with actual aliens, and so it was quite a new idea for me. The fact that Katy - Kat - is a book blogger was just awesome! When she first starts questioning what's going on with Daemon and Dee, being a fan of paranormal novels, she goes to what she knows. It's hilarious when she asks Daemon if he's a vampire, and he replies with such derision that he is definitely not a vampire. But it's awesome, because she's thinking about what she's read, and what could possibly be happening, and it just makes the book feel so much more real. As a book blogger, you can't help thinking as you read, "She's like me! She reads! She blogs! SHE'S GOT AN ALIEN LIVING NEXT DOOR!" Of course, it's fiction, but it makes it all the more believable that maybe... just maybe us normal people could have something exciting waiting for us round the corner. I must be honest and say that sometimes, she does make book blogging sound a little ridiculous. Her obsession with her blog just seems over done to me. I love my blog, and I work hard at it. But I don't compare huge, terrible events to that time when I couldn't go to that book event. Nor do I act like an addict needing a hit when I'm unable to blog for a while. It was just a bit much sometimes. There isn't too much focus on the blogging though, overall, so I could forgive those moments for the general awesomeness of the book.

Daemon is just so awesome. I swear, when it comes to bad boys, I've not read a character that is as rude or insulting as Daemon. And yet... although he's a flirty guy and quite arrogant, you can tell his rudeness is all an act. He's fighting what he feels, and you can tell. Some of the things he does are really quite out of order, and there were times when I was thinking, "Oh my god, you did not just do that!" But really, underneath it all, he's a guy who loves his sister, and wants more than anything to keep her safe. Because those Arum will stop at nothing to steal their abilities and kill them, and Kat is putting them all in danger. And this has also got to be the steamiest YA novel I've read, and I'm not just talking sexual tension, although there is a lot of that! It doesn't go too far, but further than I was expecting.Seriously though, how a girl is supposed to resist Daemon Black, I just do not know.

The action in this book is phenomenal. Normally, when there are abilities involved, there's not much proper fighting that you're aware of, and some of the time, it's like that in this book. But there are other times when it does get really physical, and god, you wonder how on earth there could possibly be a sequel! Those Arum are quite a violent bunch. They're kind of scary.

There were times, at first, when Obsidian reminded me of Twilight. The hot guy who is aloof and rude, who tells you you shouldn't be near him, and yet is always there. The sister who is bubbly and friendly. The girl who hates your guts as soon as she lays eyes on you. And all of them sitting together in the cafeteria, in a school where they are held in awe, and yet avoided. Sound similar? At first I wondered if it was going to be a kind of Twilight spoof. Yet, as the story really gets going, they just seem like minor coincidences, because it ends up being really quite different. There is even a references to Twilight at one point, when Kat asks Daemon if he's all sparkly, and the disdain in his voice is just awesome!

Such an incredible book! I'm already reading Onyx, the second book in the Lux series, and it's awesome! I will definitely be reading more of Armentrout in the future. Unbelievably good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly well written, 13 Jan 2013
This review is from: Obsidian (A Lux Novel) (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed it. Just downloaded book 2! Can't wait to find it what happens next. YA fiction that can also be enjoyed by adults.

4.0 out of 5 stars Aliens and humans - to love or not to love..., 31 July 2014
This review is from: Obsidian (Lux Novel) (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book! Keeping in mind it's a YA book I thought the author did an excellent job creating teen characters who are falling in love (and I loved her aliens). The dialogue is brilliant! I found almost everything about this book enchanting except for the last page where we're left on an unrealistic cliff hanger concerning the two main characters.

Spoil Alert:

For me the last page loses the book a whole star! I don't know if it's just me, but there seem to be a lot of series lately where you find resolution of romances between main characters being drawn out over the whole series and the characters are kept apart by miscommunication or non communication or just stupid choices that make you want to scream (or it makes me want to scream). This book ends with the two main characters (whose lives are now woven together in such a way that they must know they can't live apart without suffering) at a distance with a stupid misunderstanding that felt forced. Apparently they resolve it in the second book, but I don't think I can bear to endure the stupidity through the second third or fourth book...but I am planning to read the last book which will soon be available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Obsidian (A Lux Novel) (Kindle Edition)
Really, really, really liked this.

First young adult alien romance I've read but I have to say that if all aliens look like Daemon then bring them on! He might have come across as an a**e sometimes but he had a reason for it and in the end it didn't matter anyway.

Great story, cant wait to read more of the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars obsidian is tops, 25 Oct 2013
This review is from: Obsidian (Lux Novel) (Paperback)
Choose this book after recomendations from other readers, was not dissapointed. Loved it could`nt put it down and ordered book two straight away. Deamon are what fantasies are of.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing., 7 April 2013
This review is from: Obsidian (A Lux Novel) (Kindle Edition)
Armentrout hits another stellar write here, creating addictive characters an equally addictive plot. There's none of that boring interlude business here - it's all interesting, it's all relevant and it's all golden.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. Read it. Now !!, 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: Obsidian (A Lux Novel) (Kindle Edition)
What an amazing story cant wait to start the next one already i couldnt put it down and read it in a day . amazing i give this five stars as it deserves to be known all round .

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 4 Jan 2013
This review is from: Obsidian (A Lux Novel) (Kindle Edition)
I actually did not expect to get as into this book as I did!!! It's actually like no book I've read before but made me laugh out loud and cry. Am so glad I picked this one up...and now if you adding mind ....l'm off to find out what the Hot Alien Mojo has done to our Girl.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW AN ALIEN BAD BOY, 20 Oct 2012
L. Sims "Linda" (The south) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Obsidian (Lux Novel) (Paperback)
Katy Swartz has moved to West Virgina with her mother from Florida. This is new start for them both after Katy's father died three years ago. But the place they have moved to is in the middle of nowhere. There is one really big plus the boy next door is really hot, six foot three, with green eyes. Katy becomes friends with his sister Dee. But her brother is against them being friends. And he isn't being polite about it either, every time he opens his mouth to Katy he's obnoxious. So for Katy it's a love hate relationship. Love his looks, but hate him.

But Daemon and Dee have a big secret, which becomes known to Katy after Daemon saves her a few times. They are aliens, or to be precise they come from another planet called "Lux". There are many more Lux living on earth. Complete with their own enemies the Arum. Every time that Daemon has saved Katy it leaves a trace visible to the Lux and the Arum. So until the trace fades Katy is forced to spend more time with Daemon. This causes more problems, as Daemon's ex-girlfriend also a Lux isn't happy.

Excellent book, well written,fabulous characters, full of action. A real page turner. Better yet there are more books in this series. Highly recommended reading.

Obsidian (A Lux Novel)