5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. Buy it and then buy his other books.
Published on 4 Mar 2010 by Huw Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't offer much learning experiences
Published on 6 Oct 2011 by John Thin Silver

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't offer much learning experiences, 6 Oct 2011
The book is extremely repetitive. I made the mistake of reading it all at once, and it underlined the problem even more. The content could have been condensed into one chapter explaining the basic principles of copywriting and then giving 1-2 pages on how writing for different mediums and purposes differs. Instead, there was pretty much the same message in each chapter, only worded a bit differently.

After finishing the book, I made a mental side note to avoid books from this author, just because he has such a strong background in direct advertising. It shines through in bright colors, tinting the book in a shade of obsolete. Also, when he tried to be funny, it didn't really work as intended. Just take a look at the chapter discussing presentations, you'll see what I mean. (From now on, I should probably check the writer's background instead of the reviews of the book, as this is the second book in a row that had the same flaws.)

Even though I didn't like it, the book isn't completely fireplace material. It could be useful to someone who has never written anything commercially. It details the basic structure and content of what different copywriting tasks might include. But for anyone who's done any professional writing, even as freelance, it doesn't really offer much.

As an afterthought:

There's also a chance that maybe I approached the book in a wrong way. It does mention in the foreword that each chapter should work as a standalone reference for the task at hand. So reading it in one go probably did the book injustice. So I'll squeeze in an extra star to compensate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. Buy it and then buy his other books., 4 Mar 2010
Huw Thomas (Surrey) - See all my reviews
I'm new to copywriting. I've done lots of desk research to find out who I should be learning from. Andy Maslen is a name that crops up time and again. Over the last four weeks I've read three of his books. He cuts through all the marketing waffle. He presents copywriting ideas, structures, formats, tips and hints. He's a guy who knows his stuff. This book takes you through 13 copywriting tasks - from sales emails to display ads. Each task has its own chapter which covers off common mistakes and proven techniques that work. Best of all, I've stopped staring at my screen looking for inspiration and started putting pen to paper. Very happy days.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will help you write more effective copy, 22 Mar 2010
Benjamin Locker (Colchester, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
I could waste lots of your time talking about how Andy Maslen's book gives you the lowdown on headline writing, the best ways to construct a sales letter, or explain why his advice on writing press releases is tip-top.

But that's his job. As a reviewer, mine is to tell you whether his book is any good.

I think it is. These are my reasons:

- It's written by someone who has read books by great copywriters - and learned from them
- It's a book that doesn't make the mistake of thinking that writing for a robot is more important than speaking with kindness and conviction to a stranger
- This book doesn't recommend writing in a way that brings more people to the show, only to see them leave early.

And, as a bonus, it's a handy volume to have on your desk when you need a bit of a reminder about what works in a range of different formats.

Highly recommended - I'd buy it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars An invaluable resource for every copywriter's desk, 15 Mar 2010
N. Cooke (Chipping Norton, UK) - See all my reviews
As a copywriter, rarely do I come across such useful books as this one. Written by established author and renowned copywriter, Andy Maslen, it's bursting with information, real-life copywriting examples and buckets of sound advice.

Each of the 13 chapters deals with a specific copywriting skill, from AdWords to Website copy. Andy guides the reader through each task, following an easy, step-by-step format. In focusing on the shortcuts, pitfalls and processes involved in crafting professional copy, he offers wisdom that works!

Peppered with witty asides and down-to-earth, practical advice, this is a real treat for copywriters. And for anyone, in fact, who wants to improve their sales copy style. Wish I'd had `The Copywriting Sourcebook' when I first started out. Now I've a copy on my desk, it's not going anywhere!

5.0 out of 5 stars How to be a great copywriter - read this book!, 23 May 2010
I bought this after having read Write For Results (a fantastic book) this book did not disappoint. It is filled with EXACTLY the type of knowledge and tips you need to be a great and successful copywriter. Even experienced marketers will learn something from reading this book.

I will buy any book that Maslen writes on the subject of marketing, his insight is incredibly accurate and useful. He also makes reading easy.

Thanks for another great book Andy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to copywriting, 27 Nov 2011
This was the perfect first step into the world of copywriting. The book gave me enough to be practically useful without going so far as to become overwhelming.

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't like it!, 13 May 2011
I bought this book after I've read all its five star ratings. Unfortunately, it's not as good as advertised. Most of the author's recommendations are just common sense and the book is not 'packed with many examples', only a few which are hardly to read. I think that the book might be suitable for the very beginners or people who don't have much experience in writing...If I was able to flip through the pages, I would've never bought it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I put it down five minutes after I picked it up, 9 Mar 2010
Kevinabarrow - See all my reviews
I've bought lots of books on copywriting so I was unsure about buying another one. Indeed, I've already got Andy's first book Write to Sell and regularly receive his free newsletter Maslen on Marketing.

When I finally decided to order - {} - it sat on my desk for a couple of days before I picked it up. I put it down five minutes later and haven't gone back to it since.

You see, five minutes was all it took to find the answer to my email subject line problem.

So it's impossible for me to give a review of the book in its entirety but I can safely say that if you have a copywriting problem that you need resolved quickly The Copywriting Sourcebook is the book for you.

The structure and presentation of the book is head and shoulders above every other copywriting book I've read. It's a lesson in usability as much as in copywriting.

Andy's taken years to learn all of this, yet you and I can learn it in just a few minutes.

My copy sits on my desk awaiting my next copywriting emergency.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maslen does it again!, 20 May 2010
Another smashing book on copywriting from Andy Maslen. In his slick but affable style, Mr Maslen takes us through a range of copywriting tasks, including sales letters, press releases, brochures, Adwords, website copy, e-mails, e-zines and more. In each chapter he provides us with a structure for each piece of copy and highlights the dos and don'ts for each task.

Following a splendid introduction by the author, the book is structured task by task, which means you can just flip to the relevant task if you have a deadline hurtling towards you and need ideas fast. There are plenty of examples of real-life copy that works and there are lots of tips and suggestions.

'The Copywriting Source' book is definitely money well spent, whether you're a professional copywriter or a rookie learning the ropes. Quite honestly, this gentleman should be knighted for his services to copywriting!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Essential Guide, 3 Oct 2010
Katherine Wildman "Persephone" (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
All small business owners would benefit from owning this book so that their websites, emails, sales campaigns and corporate literature actually work.
One word? Essential,