4.0 out of 5 stars Once Upon A Time, In a kingdom far far away....
The story is set in "real" world Storybrooke and fairytale land every episode contains flashbacks between both worlds the story's of the past and present.

Published 23 months ago by NicolaA

3.0 out of 5 stars Once Upon A Time-Blu Ray Review
The series itself gets 4 stars from me. It takes a few episodes before it gets going but as each character's backstory becomes revealed so things make more sense and the idea of well known fantasy people trapped in the present is well played out.
It's been well reviewed elsewhere so I just wanted to make a few comments on the blu ray package.

The extras...
Published 10 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Once Upon A Time, In a kingdom far far away...., 31 May 2012
This review is from: Once Upon a Time - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)

The central story of Once upon a time focus's primarily on the main characters Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin) The Evil Queen (Lana Parrilla) Emma Swan (Jennifer Morrison) Henry (Jared Gilmore) Prince "Charming" James (Josh Dallas) And Rumplestiltskin (Robert Carlyle) However expect almost every one of your favourite characters to appear at some point;
Geppetto, Pinocchio, Maleficent, Jiminy Cricket, Genie of the Lamp, Pongo, Red Riding hood, Hansel and Gretal and many, many more.

The story begins with Prince Charming finding Snow White in her glass coffin, He kisses her, she wakes up, now in the books, and movies this is as far as we get, but what happens next?, we are about to find out.... The Evil queen interrupts their wedding and says she will enact her revenge by casting a curse on everyone, she will take away everything and everyone they love, So that she is the only one who gets her happy ending. I will not go into further detail as I do not want to spoil it for anyone. The running theme is focused around this, however every episode is made fresh as we meet a new character in detail and see how their story is linked. I was personally waiting for the Red Riding Hood story and it was fabulous!.

The story is solid, the series well cast, but it's what you expect from the writers and creators who are none other than Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz the makers of the series Lost, For those of you who are Lost fan's there are some lovely little reference's to the show within Once upon a time, such as The Evil Queen's/Regina's Door number, Oceanic Airlines, MacCutcheon Whisky, and Apollo candy bars.

All in all a great show. it's 22 episodes long so good value for money and it's been renewed for season two where there have been hints of new realms....

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks 'Once' for making it cool for a 28 year old to openly love Disney! ;), 5 Aug 2012
Miss Samantha A. French "221BSam" (England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Once Upon a Time - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I love this show! my favourite by far, created & written by 'Lost' alum Edward Kitsis & Adam Horowitz this show is awesome! it definitely has 'Lost' esque nuances, one being a timeline that twists & turns through two timelines whilst never losing the thread & becoming confusing.

Extremely well written, you need to watch it to understand but the actors in the show have two sides let's say. Personally I think the characters in the show are the strongest aspect, the writing in general is brilliant, a show is nothing without a script after all however the casting is also so strong, none more so then the character of Rumpelstiltskin sublimely played by Robert Carlyle, both of his characters are compelling & so very watchable. The whole cast is strong & you will find at least one that you love in no time.

Filmed in beautiful Vancouver in stunning locations, being a keen rider myself you've no idea what I'd give to canter through that enchanted forest, the set design & costumes are magnificent, the whole show has such high production values as you would expect with a Disney production, with I imagine a fairly generous budget. It has wonderful & creative storytelling, romance, drama, action, intrigue, it's truly a very special show.

I saw an earlier comment that said it's not up to the standard of HBO's 'Game Of Thrones', I personally prefer this as the sex & violence of GOT doesn't appeal to me, that does not make this show second rate!
If you enjoy creative, wonderful storytelling, a struggle between good & evil, compelling characters & above all a love story then give this a try & become spellbound like the rest of us 'Oncers', cannot wait for the second season, bring it on!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you ABC Studios for a multi-region release, 12 Nov 2012
Having suffered dreadful viewing conditions watching the first few episodes of this brilliant TV series on Channel 5 Freeview, I decided to wait until it was available to buy in the UK.
This was frustrating but worse was yet to come. The series has only been released in the UK on DVD - while in the USA it is available on Blu Ray. Dilemmas, dilemmas....which to buy??
Thankfully I can report that if you take the risk of a Blu Ray import then, on this occasion, the disks WILL play on a UK machine - which in my case is a PS3.
So....
Was the series worth the wait?
Was the Blu ray worth the additional price??
Hell yes on both counts!!
Picture and DTS-HD master audio is absolutely fabulous and the series truly deserves the best possible showcase. So if you are hesitating about splashing out - do go for the Blu ray release if you can afford it. You won't regret the extra price.

5.0 out of 5 stars OUAT has put a spell on me!!, 28 May 2012
This review is from: Once Upon a Time - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
OK, so I could go on and on about how much I love this series. But I won't bore you! Suffice to say, this is a little bit different from other things currently on TV and I'm hooked. The story and the wide variety of personalities and characters are interesting. No maidens in distress awaiting the gallant knight to save them from the glass mountain here, OH NO!! Here the maidens in distress pick up their own sword and the knight is not unmanned by being the one rescued. It's got humour, adventure, romance and scary bits. And some my favourite characters on TV EVER!!!
All actors do a brilliant job. The writing is amazing and I enjoy the "LOST-uesq" storytelling with flashbacks.

For anyone who likes fairy tales and don't mind a bit of artistic freedom from writers - this is the series to watch!

Oh, and, if you don't like fairy tales, I'll give you the perfect reason to watch it anyway; ROBERT CARLYLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nuff said!

Here ends my not so very structured/ unbaised review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant storyline, 18 Jun 2012
This review is from: Once Upon a Time - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Firstly, I'd advise anyone who loves fairy-tales and imagination to be proud they found this TV programme, seeing as though there isn't as much fascinating, interesting TV shows out there with magical and fantasy ties intertwined. I love this show soo much I can't wait for the second season, which is promised to be even more intriguing. Id definatley give it a ten out of ten, especially going for the storyline that has a great twist to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A True Guilty Pleasure, 24 Jan 2013
This review is from: Once Upon a Time - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I first encountered this series on tv while flicking through the channels, and thought it was terrible. Over-acting, weak dialogue and implausible relationships.

Cut to four months later, and all my friends are raving about it. So, with a bit of time off from work I bite the bullet and decide to give the box-set a go, figuring I might have just been in a bad mood the first time I saw it.

But here's the thing...I wasn't actually wrong. There are sequences of over-acting, stylised dialogue and fairytale exuberance. There is a sickly emphasis on the importance of 'love's true kiss'; and the "real world" characters (notably our hero Emma Swan) display some thinly developed intentions and behaviour. HOWEVER I love it. I got totally addicted. When you have the luxury of not waiting for a week or more for the next episode, you can get caught up in the momentum of the story, enjoy how they've re-imagined the source tales and find out the answer to their (many) cliff-hangers without losing interest. The villains are particularly well done, and the writers have enough skill to keep you guessing.

A guilty pleasure - just add wine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and original!, 29 Aug 2012
This review is from: Once Upon a Time - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
An excellent idea and done brilliantly!
At first glance the show appears cheesy, but the great acting (particularly Robert Carlysle) and switching between modern day and 'Fairytale' keeps you gripped! I loved it. Can't wait for season 2 next year.

4.0 out of 5 stars Where fairytale and reality meet, 15 July 2012
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Once Upon a Time - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
ONCE UPON A TIME is ultimately about reality and fairytale meeting together. The basic synopsis of the series is that Storybrooke, where ONCE UPON A TIME is set, is in modern day America. The population of Storybrooke are all characters from fairytales that we all know and love - you have the evil Queen, Snow White, Prince Charming and so on. But, because of a curse by the evil Queen, none of the characters know that they either Snow White or Prince Charming. Apart from one little boy, who knows that the people in his favourite book are actually the population of his own town. And he is determined to make them all remember.

In order to translate this synopsis onto the screen, ONCE UPON A TIME shifts from the fairytale land where the characters are in their true form to modern day Storybrooke, where we are able to see the characters in modern America. These parallel worlds have some similarities between them - Snow White and Prince Charming are drawn to each other, whilst Rad Riding Hood lives with her Grandmother. But, when the focus turns to the fairytales, there are also stark differences. We are able to learn how the magic mirror came into being, and the tale of Red Riding Hood is very different to the traditional tale. But, it is this updating of the tales that makes the appeal of this series.

As the series has progresses, there is definitely a darkening essence to it. Whilst each individual episode focuses on one main fairytale character, there are recurring stories which are also developed slowly and returned to. The obvious one is that of Snow White and the evil Queen. Rumplestiltskin is also a character who is a running thread through most of the stories.

So, overall, I am enjoying it. Some episodes are better than others, naturally. But, I am worried that this could be a series which doesn't know when to leave us wanting more. It has already been going on for a good couple of months; I hope it doesn't go on for too long. You can have too much of a good thing, after all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Once Upon A Time, 10 July 2012
This review is from: Once Upon a Time - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
This show is fantastic, I'm so pleased it's coming out on dvd. Watching tv in our house is not an easy task with kids,dog and husband all vying for your attention. Really need to concentrate on the plot with this programme, will be able to watch this in peace and quiet at my leisure. Looking forward to the next series. Interesting to see how this show finishes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome show, 12 Jun 2012
This review is from: Once Upon a Time - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I loved this show seriously.

I was abit dubious when I first read about it, I guess a show all about fairy tale characters sounded abit juvenile. But it's really so much more than that. There's romance and drama and suspense... a good ole good vs evil story with so much more and brilliant plot lines.

I can't wait til this comes out on dvd. And I hope it comes with the same cover as in the picture cos it looks awesome :)

ARRAY(0xab5fe57c)

Once Upon a Time - Season 1 [DVD]
Once Upon a Time - Season 1 [DVD] by Jennifer Morrison (DVD - 2012)
17.93