4.5 out of 5 stars3,845
Size: AV500|Style Name: AV500 1 Port|Change

on 10 August 2012
TP-Link PA411 AV500 Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack

Ok I went for the 500Mbps ones (but they work on the same principles as the 200 mbps ones, just faster) but was sceptical about 500Mbps over a 1940's built house, but neither the less wanted to give my Virgin Media 120mb line the best chance..

Virgin are always upgrading their broadband connection speed so I'd imagine 200 mbps would be surpassed within a year or two as they roll out 300 mbps and 500 mbps lines going forward.

PAIRING...

Ignore the instructions, just do this...
1) Connect your 1st homeplug to your broadband router via supplied network lead
2) Connect your 2nd homeplug to your other PC/Xbox/Laptop etc
3) Press the pair button on the 1st home plug in for 1 second (power LED will slowly flash)
4) RUN to the 2nd homeplug and press pair button in for 1 Second
5) Both units will flash for a minute or two (not sure why it takes this length of time, but it don't matter - go make a cuppa) and then the connection should be established. Turn on your other PC/Xbox/Laptop device etc and enjoy.

NOTE: You can add another homeplug by pairing with the 1st one.
You can also move the home plug to another socket, you don't need to do any of the above pairing etc as they are already "friends".

After this I went to get some food but came back and now wanted to test the speed of these badboys! I installed the supplied software and after a fiddly time trying to get the 2nd homeplug picked up by the software (though it still allowed network traffic - just the software couldn't see it) I was horrified to see a paltry 11mpbs!
I moved both homeplugs to an original build double power socket in the kitchen, attached the network lead from the router to homeplug no 1 and retested. They were both next to each other in the same socket and I was still stuck on 11mpbs!

FAULTY! So I slept on it and was ready to send these back. However, I had been testing all this time with the XBOX switched off assuming the speed seen in the software was between homeplugs. THIS IS NOT THE CASE. The speed reported is between DEVICES, if one is switched off, the software ALWAYS reports 11 mpbs. So to get a true speed, you HAVE TO have both devices (router and PC/Xbox/Laptop etc) switched on!

I'm now getting 327Mbps, which is still a bit shy of 500Mbps but I'm happy with that as my research on google has shown not a lot of people can get near that. For the extra £9 the 500Mbps version are a bit more future proof and a lot better if being used on a home network where speeds will exceed the broadband im using.
Happy to help anyone who needs advice, just drop me a line.
9696 comments|1,153 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 February 2014
I've always had my doubts the powerline solution for improving the internet on my desktop, seeing that speeds can be dependent on the wiring in the house (older I think being less reliable), though this was my next choice.

As it turns out, the kit is just brilliant. The setup was easy enough - just plug one in, connect the conveniently supplied ethernet cable and do it again. Plus, it's managed to support the maximum bandwidth (up to 80 megabits down; 18 up) from the BT Infinity service we get, and maintained exceptional performance ever since for HD streaming and gaming. Still, I think my house isn't that old, so you could receive different results.

Both adapters only had room for one ethernet port on each; it was all I needed, however you should take this into consideration if you're planning to connect multiple devices. Try looking at the larger powerline adapters if need be.

This kit has disproved my doubts about powerline, though yet again your house's wiring could say differently. Aside from that, it's suitable for all of your excessive internet needs, as long as it's only for one device!
on 21 December 2015
I was thinking of connecting my server to my TV in living room so that I can stream movies across using DLNA network (Serviio). My whole setup was working on wireless network but I had speed and signal issues so I wanted to put it on a more stable wired network. The distance between the server and broadband router was quite a bit and it wasn't easy for me to connect router to server through CAT5 cable running across the wall and rooms. I was told by one of my friend about this adapter and initially I was a bit surprised as how network signals will flow using a Home powerline but I thought to give it a go. Let me tell you that I was amazed to find how clever this product is. I am streaming videos, music, photos across my network to my tele without any issues. It's setup is quite straight-forward and this is what I did:

1) Connect both adapter on same wall socket if possible so you don't have to run across the rooms (see attached picture)
2) Connect one to the broadband router (A) and 2nd to your laptop (B) (turn off wifi at your laptop)
3) Turn the switch on for both adapters
4) After doing above steps within 2-5 seconds my laptop got connected to internet and I could browse without any issue
5) If you want to Secure these adapters then you will have to do pairing between the two by pressing and holding for 2-5 seconds the pair button on Adapter A and then do the same on Adapter B and that's it

I have also attached the output from the TPlink PowerLine Utility.
review image review image
on 20 October 2012
Amazing little things. Loved the first pair so much I bought another pair!
I decided to get the 500mbps instead of the ever-so-slightly cheaper 200mbps and I dont think there would be much difference in performance but I like to future-proof since we've just had fibre optic installed (can handle our 30mbps connection no problem)

REMEMBER: 500mbps doesnt mean 500megabytes per second, it means 500megabits per second.
(Google it if you want to find out more but you divide the mbps by 8 to give you megabytes value)

Quite easy to setup, little instruction manual explains everything pretty simply.

MY ONLY WORD OF WARNING
To pair the connectors up in a network you need to press the button for a specific length of time, and wow it has to be exact. If you're not getting the power light blinking slowly its not looking for anything to pair BUT keep trying! Try and press it for a bit longer perhaps - until you get the power light to flash - then the same on the other plug.
Adding the second pair was easy, do them one at a time - Trigger it to begin pairing, find an existing one and tell that to pair, wait a minute or two for them to get acquainted, then same for the forth.

EQUIPMENT TESTED ON:
So far tested sucessfully on:
NAS (Network Attached Storage) Drive - NSA310 Zyxel to be exact
Sony Playstation 3
Numerous Desktop PCs and Laptops - Win 7, Vista.
Sky Anytime box to give Anytime+ HD (niiiiiiice)
Additional switches - so you'd like to split the connection further once its back out the wall, pick up a cheap ethernet switch and you're sorted. Theres a relatively cheap TP Link Switch on the market for around £13-£15 that Im sure would do the trick but I'm using an Edimax I had spare. (P.S. Might help if it states its a Gigabit switch too, just in case)

DO I HAVE TO PLUG THEM DIRECTLY INTO THE WALL?
Not always. They word fine on a NON-SURGED extension lead, just like those cheap 4/5 plugged ones from IKEA, I've found they dont always have to be plugged into the wall socket - especially since they can be a bit wide. Thats also worth noting for extension leads. If you've got a 4 socket extension, you may struggle to fit something next to the Adapter.
For surged extension leads the speed can drop off. Would you notice in browsing the web? Not sure - but if you do it, try to use non-surge if you're desperate for additional ports.

DOES IT COME WITH CABLES?
Yes, two yellow Cat 5e cables which is a nice extra - it would have been a pain to hunt around for spare cables.

DOES IT PLAY HD MEDIA?
On our house yes it does. Successfully streaming 10GB+ High Definition movies from bottom floor to the attic. Transfer speed tops around 8megabytes a second which is excellent (thats not the same as 8mbps remember ;) )

Happy to answer any questions in comments.
55 comments|158 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 September 2013
I have been using this product for downloads and online gaming, and it is extremely unreliable, as the internet keeps coming on and off, so the downloads stop and have to be restarted, and online gaming is impossible as the user is constantly disconnected from the server. MUST NOT BUY FOR THIS PURPOSE!!!!
on 1 December 2014
I have a smart tv that was using wifi to watch iplayer and it kept buffering which made me turn it off. after being told about this adapter i was a bit reserved in judgement as i know nothing about technology.
the kit arrived, i plugged it in, it connected. after about 10 minutes, i switched on the tv and now i dont have any more buffering.
i dont know if this was the best kit or the worst but it works very well for me and i have purchased another kit for a wifi booster and my daughters tv.
33 comments|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 March 2016
This works perfectly! The picture attached shows a higher-than-usual wireless speed but with this, wired, the speed is consistent! So happy right now! Just plugged it in and had to review. If it dies in a few days I'll edit this review and let you know but this is diffinetly worth the purchase.

Instead of drilling holes and moving things around the house I plugged these in and they're perfect! My PC is upstairs and our router is on the other side of the house, having to send wifi through many a wall. Extremely happy with this product, buy it! It works!
review image
on 3 October 2014
There's a known issue with these. it is discussed on the tp-link forum. they just drop the connection randomly. could be once a day, twice in 10 minutes, completely random. then you have to either power cycle them, or wait 10 minutes. feels like a firmware issue, but as of now there hasn't been an update for over a year.

otherwise speed is good. but it hardly makes up for the drop outs.
44 comments|46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 April 2014
Hi guys,
My first review ever:
Lots of things have been written, mostly some #@&#^@&*# from either idialising customers or some tech noobs!

Let me cut it short:
- Connection = stable, what makes it superior to most WIFI setups (especially in this price range)
- Connectionspeed = I get 70mbits out of a 200mbit connection (many people will now argue that this is due to the lines in my house, but its a new house and my coworkers who suggested this item to me report the same)
- Setup = easy as it gets, basically plug&play plus pressing 2 buttons.

Sum-up:
I am getting less then 50% (!) of the speed my main connection is able to get. Aside that, the connection is stable and it is a budget solution. Next time I will stick to a 1gbit wifi router though.
on 29 September 2014
Rubbish, caused periodic drop outs which was especially annoying when online gaming on the playstation. And that was in a small 2 bedroom flat with new wiring. I definitely would NOT recommend these TP-Link PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack they are more of an annoyance than anything else.