974 of 1,015 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Stuck at 11 Mbps in the TP-Link software? FIXED.
TP-Link PA411 AV500 Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack

Ok I went for the 500Mbps ones (but they work on the same principles as the 200 mbps ones, just faster) but was sceptical about 500Mbps over a 1940's built house, but neither the less wanted to give my Virgin Media 120mb line the best chance..

Virgin are always upgrading their broadband connection...
Published on 10 Aug. 2012 by D. Marcus

1.0 out of 5 stars Shocking product and shocking customer service
I usually do not write reviews but thought i had to due to this shocking product. The instructions are very clear on the box and after it did not work at all or provide any sort of connection i used their support service. This then astounded me as they simply restated the instructions on the box in badly broken english and were unable to offer solutions to the issue. Will...
Published 3 months ago by Mrs Val Lynch

974 of 1,015 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Stuck at 11 Mbps in the TP-Link software? FIXED., 10 Aug. 2012
This review is from: TP-LINK PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter Starter Kit- Twin Pack (Accessory)
TP-Link PA411 AV500 Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack

Virgin are always upgrading their broadband connection speed so I'd imagine 200 mbps would be surpassed within a year or two as they roll out 300 mbps and 500 mbps lines going forward.

PAIRING...

Ignore the instructions, just do this...
1) Connect your 1st homeplug to your broadband router via supplied network lead
2) Connect your 2nd homeplug to your other PC/Xbox/Laptop etc
3) Press the pair button on the 1st home plug in for 1 second (power LED will slowly flash)
4) RUN to the 2nd homeplug and press pair button in for 1 Second
5) Both units will flash for a minute or two (not sure why it takes this length of time, but it don't matter - go make a cuppa) and then the connection should be established. Turn on your other PC/Xbox/Laptop device etc and enjoy.

NOTE: You can add another homeplug by pairing with the 1st one.
You can also move the home plug to another socket, you don't need to do any of the above pairing etc as they are already "friends".

After this I went to get some food but came back and now wanted to test the speed of these badboys! I installed the supplied software and after a fiddly time trying to get the 2nd homeplug picked up by the software (though it still allowed network traffic - just the software couldn't see it) I was horrified to see a paltry 11mpbs!
I moved both homeplugs to an original build double power socket in the kitchen, attached the network lead from the router to homeplug no 1 and retested. They were both next to each other in the same socket and I was still stuck on 11mpbs!

FAULTY! So I slept on it and was ready to send these back. However, I had been testing all this time with the XBOX switched off assuming the speed seen in the software was between homeplugs. THIS IS NOT THE CASE. The speed reported is between DEVICES, if one is switched off, the software ALWAYS reports 11 mpbs. So to get a true speed, you HAVE TO have both devices (router and PC/Xbox/Laptop etc) switched on!

I'm now getting 327Mbps, which is still a bit shy of 500Mbps but I'm happy with that as my research on google has shown not a lot of people can get near that. For the extra £9 the 500Mbps version are a bit more future proof and a lot better if being used on a home network where speeds will exceed the broadband im using.
Happy to help anyone who needs advice, just drop me a line.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works very well without set up hassle, 1 Dec. 2014
I have a smart tv that was using wifi to watch iplayer and it kept buffering which made me turn it off. after being told about this adapter i was a bit reserved in judgement as i know nothing about technology.
the kit arrived, i plugged it in, it connected. after about 10 minutes, i switched on the tv and now i dont have any more buffering.
i dont know if this was the best kit or the worst but it works very well for me and i have purchased another kit for a wifi booster and my daughters tv.

4.0 out of 5 stars Connection, 29 Sept. 2012
JMWarren - See all my reviews
I agree with the others about how easy and reliable these are to use and install - though the `push-button' set up is a mess if you've more than 2 Units - I found pushing the buttons simply toggled between having the PC or the TV connected - it wouldn't allow both at the same time! The solution was to set them up using the software dashboard instead - far easier.

My big gripe with all of these though is that if you have a house with mains sockets on the skirting boards, then no matter what the instructions say (and those user reviews too), you cannot connect them directly into the mains socket. The RJ45 socket is on the bottom face of the Unit so when plugged into the skirting, there's simply not enough space between the Unit and the floor to get the Ethernet cable plugged in. Fine if your sockets are up high - but mine aren't. So you can't use them plugged directly into the mains socket - they have to go onto an extension block. Mine are (at the router, a PC and a TV) and they work fine.

I did find one make that sensibly places the Ethernet socket on the side of the Unit... top marks for them in designing something that the vast majority of household in this country can use, rather than the TP-Link, Devolo or Solwise whose designers clearly have never ever plugged anything into their sockets at home....... So if you really want to use them plugged into the skirting board sockets - go for the better designed versions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good - some hints and tips in my review, 20 Oct. 2012
Amazing little things. Loved the first pair so much I bought another pair!
I decided to get the 500mbps instead of the ever-so-slightly cheaper 200mbps and I dont think there would be much difference in performance but I like to future-proof since we've just had fibre optic installed (can handle our 30mbps connection no problem)

REMEMBER: 500mbps doesnt mean 500megabytes per second, it means 500megabits per second.
(Google it if you want to find out more but you divide the mbps by 8 to give you megabytes value)

Quite easy to setup, little instruction manual explains everything pretty simply.

MY ONLY WORD OF WARNING
To pair the connectors up in a network you need to press the button for a specific length of time, and wow it has to be exact. If you're not getting the power light blinking slowly its not looking for anything to pair BUT keep trying! Try and press it for a bit longer perhaps - until you get the power light to flash - then the same on the other plug.
Adding the second pair was easy, do them one at a time - Trigger it to begin pairing, find an existing one and tell that to pair, wait a minute or two for them to get acquainted, then same for the forth.

EQUIPMENT TESTED ON:
So far tested sucessfully on:
NAS (Network Attached Storage) Drive - NSA310 Zyxel to be exact
Sony Playstation 3
Numerous Desktop PCs and Laptops - Win 7, Vista.
Sky Anytime box to give Anytime+ HD (niiiiiiice)
Additional switches - so you'd like to split the connection further once its back out the wall, pick up a cheap ethernet switch and you're sorted. Theres a relatively cheap TP Link Switch on the market for around £13-£15 that Im sure would do the trick but I'm using an Edimax I had spare. (P.S. Might help if it states its a Gigabit switch too, just in case)

DO I HAVE TO PLUG THEM DIRECTLY INTO THE WALL?
Not always. They word fine on a NON-SURGED extension lead, just like those cheap 4/5 plugged ones from IKEA, I've found they dont always have to be plugged into the wall socket - especially since they can be a bit wide. Thats also worth noting for extension leads. If you've got a 4 socket extension, you may struggle to fit something next to the Adapter.
For surged extension leads the speed can drop off. Would you notice in browsing the web? Not sure - but if you do it, try to use non-surge if you're desperate for additional ports.

DOES IT COME WITH CABLES?
Yes, two yellow Cat 5e cables which is a nice extra - it would have been a pain to hunt around for spare cables.

DOES IT PLAY HD MEDIA?
On our house yes it does. Successfully streaming 10GB+ High Definition movies from bottom floor to the attic. Transfer speed tops around 8megabytes a second which is excellent (thats not the same as 8mbps remember ;) )

Happy to answer any questions in comments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use but makes such a fantastic difference to poor signal issues, 21 Jan. 2015
I purchased this product after having endless issues with my broadband provider and the inability to get a solid and constant signal from the new "super hub"! My office is in a room separate from the hub so working became impossible with disruptions to the signal every few minutes. It was suggested by the provider that I tried this product and they were well worth the money paid for them. Im not a technical expert and I hadnt even heard of them before the suggestion so I didnt quite know what to expect. I tend to read bad reviews first and noticed a few people comment on pairing issues and software (i havent had to use any softeware at all and pairing is as simple as pressing a button, watch the video to see how easy connection is) but they were extremely simple to set up and id strongly recommend them to anyone having similar issues. They are also portable without losing connection so I can also link my PS4 up in another room and get the best connection speeds ive ever known.

5.0 out of 5 stars These were so good I bought two more within an hour of plugging ..., 15 Mar. 2015
brainleek007 (Bracknell) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
These were so good I bought two more within an hour of plugging my original ones in.

Step 1. Plug one unit in to a power socket within reach of your router + connect the supplied Ethernet cable to said router.
Step 2. Plug other unit into power outlet socket in the room where you want internet. Use supplied Ethernet cable to connect to a device
Step 3. Enjoy internet connection as good as if you were plugged into your router!

It really is that simple. No messing about, no pairing, passwords or anything.

The plugs are small - not much bigger than a phone charger and these particular models have one Ethernet outlet. Other models offer multiple Ethernet outlets. They look / feel really well made and are just brilliantly simple to use. Also, for £25 you get two adapters plus 2 x Ethernet cables of about a 5-6 feet in length so really great value and gives you everything you need in the box.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you need Ethernet, get a pair of these!, 19 Jun. 2015
As long as you can use Ethernet conveniently (it's pretty clunky by today's standards), these are very useful. I get perhaps 25%-50% better bandwidth from a home broadband router to way out back in my shed, perhaps 25m of wiring, a pair of extension leads and at least one spur. I had to use a 50m long Ethernet cable because wireless wouldn't reach out there reliably enough with the bandwidth I needed.

Installation is completely trouble-free. You just plug the devices into an AC socket (all of mine are plugged into extension cords to make things more difficult for the devices) plug in your 1m Ethernet cable (provided) and away you go. That's it; no configuring, fiddling or switches. If only day-to-day life proceeded as smoothly!

Now the really stunning thing is that once you have one at your router, every other TP-LINK device connects to that without problem and gives you Ethernet remotely through the single device at your broadband. I bought another pair of these from eBay each with triple Ethernet ports (cheaper than the single ones on Amazon, but you can't always get them). These plugged right in and work perfectly with the single port one at the broadband and now I have 7 Ethernet ports available through house and office. One of these ports is connected to a Raspberry Pi way out back that runs 24/7 to do 3-4Gb daily backup and it's been going problem-free for a couple of months now, non-stop.

If you are one of the increasingly rare folks who want or need Ethernet, these things are worth having, even if you only use them once in a while (e.g., configuring Raspberry Pi's without having to do it in your closet where the router is). They seem a bit pricey, but they really do the business when you need Ethernet and, for me anyway, with absolutely no hassle. I've packed my 50m Ethernet cable away and don't expect to have to drag it out again.

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY POOR PACKAGING FROM AMAZON, 5 Dec. 2013
BiTZ (Oxford UK) - See all my reviews
These work great, 5 stars every time - I've got the main one plugged into a non-surge extension lead and the whole network works perfectly.
Unfortunately, Amazon's packaging of these is abysmal - all they do is stick an address label to the shrinkwrapped box (the display box you'd see in Currys, PC world etc.)
I've had three sets now, 2 were returned as damaged and faulty, no idea if the third set I've just received work yet...

Pic of box, as received; [...]

Excellent product, lousy packaging by Amazon - might get the next set gift-wrapped to see what arrives!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!!, 20 Oct. 2014
I got this to make the internet connection on my PS4 better as its in my games room and not next to my router. When wired I get around 40mbits dowload and 10 mbits upload, when using wireless I get 10mbits download and 2mbits upload.

You simply plug these into a wall socket, one where your device is and one next to the router. It comes with 2 ethernet cables (sort ones) in which you simply plug in. Then turn on your device and click the sync button on both deviced. Then thats it.

When using these I got the same speeds as connected directly to my router

5.0 out of 5 stars My tuppence worth, 17 Aug. 2014
There are so many very clear reviews I'll just add a couple of things:

- I've used the adapters to power a second wireless router in the house. My Virgin Media router (v1) has a pretty weak wireless signal, so I've plugged it into one of the adapters and, up the other end of the house where the wireless signal is bad, plugged an old router I have into the other adapter. I set up the old router exactly the same as the Virgin router (I can expand on this if anyone has comments/questions).
- if you re-use an old router like this, make sure it's configured with your Virgin details BEFORE plugging it into the adapter, otherwise it curiously fails to connect to the internet.

I now have two routers in the house, of equal power (both download wirelessly at about 30-40Mbps on a Virgin 100Mbps connection).

Highly recommended.