2,538 Reviews
 (1,886)

960 of 1,001 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Stuck at 11 Mbps in the TP-Link software? FIXED.
TP-Link PA411 AV500 Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack

Ok I went for the 500Mbps ones (but they work on the same principles as the 200 mbps ones, just faster) but was sceptical about 500Mbps over a 1940's built house, but neither the less wanted to give my Virgin Media 120mb line the best chance..

Virgin are always upgrading their broadband connection...
Published on 10 Aug. 2012 by D. Marcus

1.0 out of 5 stars Connection Drops Randomly
There's a known issue with these. it is discussed on the tp-link forum. they just drop the connection randomly. could be once a day, twice in 10 minutes, completely random. then you have to either power cycle them, or wait 10 minutes. feels like a firmware issue, but as of now there hasn't been an update for over a year.

otherwise speed is good. but it hardly...
Published 7 months ago by Mr Flagpole

960 of 1,001 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Stuck at 11 Mbps in the TP-Link software? FIXED., 10 Aug. 2012
This review is from: TP-LINK PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter Starter Kit- Twin Pack (Accessory)
TP-Link PA411 AV500 Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack

Virgin are always upgrading their broadband connection speed so I'd imagine 200 mbps would be surpassed within a year or two as they roll out 300 mbps and 500 mbps lines going forward.

PAIRING...

Ignore the instructions, just do this...
1) Connect your 1st homeplug to your broadband router via supplied network lead
2) Connect your 2nd homeplug to your other PC/Xbox/Laptop etc
3) Press the pair button on the 1st home plug in for 1 second (power LED will slowly flash)
4) RUN to the 2nd homeplug and press pair button in for 1 Second
5) Both units will flash for a minute or two (not sure why it takes this length of time, but it don't matter - go make a cuppa) and then the connection should be established. Turn on your other PC/Xbox/Laptop device etc and enjoy.

NOTE: You can add another homeplug by pairing with the 1st one.
You can also move the home plug to another socket, you don't need to do any of the above pairing etc as they are already "friends".

After this I went to get some food but came back and now wanted to test the speed of these badboys! I installed the supplied software and after a fiddly time trying to get the 2nd homeplug picked up by the software (though it still allowed network traffic - just the software couldn't see it) I was horrified to see a paltry 11mpbs!
I moved both homeplugs to an original build double power socket in the kitchen, attached the network lead from the router to homeplug no 1 and retested. They were both next to each other in the same socket and I was still stuck on 11mpbs!

FAULTY! So I slept on it and was ready to send these back. However, I had been testing all this time with the XBOX switched off assuming the speed seen in the software was between homeplugs. THIS IS NOT THE CASE. The speed reported is between DEVICES, if one is switched off, the software ALWAYS reports 11 mpbs. So to get a true speed, you HAVE TO have both devices (router and PC/Xbox/Laptop etc) switched on!

I'm now getting 327Mbps, which is still a bit shy of 500Mbps but I'm happy with that as my research on google has shown not a lot of people can get near that. For the extra £9 the 500Mbps version are a bit more future proof and a lot better if being used on a home network where speeds will exceed the broadband im using.
Happy to help anyone who needs advice, just drop me a line.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works very well without set up hassle, 1 Dec. 2014
I have a smart tv that was using wifi to watch iplayer and it kept buffering which made me turn it off. after being told about this adapter i was a bit reserved in judgement as i know nothing about technology.
the kit arrived, i plugged it in, it connected. after about 10 minutes, i switched on the tv and now i dont have any more buffering.
i dont know if this was the best kit or the worst but it works very well for me and i have purchased another kit for a wifi booster and my daughters tv.

1.0 out of 5 stars Connection Drops Randomly, 3 Oct. 2014
Mr Flagpole (london, england) - See all my reviews

otherwise speed is good. but it hardly makes up for the drop outs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good - some hints and tips in my review, 20 Oct. 2012
Amazing little things. Loved the first pair so much I bought another pair!
I decided to get the 500mbps instead of the ever-so-slightly cheaper 200mbps and I dont think there would be much difference in performance but I like to future-proof since we've just had fibre optic installed (can handle our 30mbps connection no problem)

REMEMBER: 500mbps doesnt mean 500megabytes per second, it means 500megabits per second.
(Google it if you want to find out more but you divide the mbps by 8 to give you megabytes value)

Quite easy to setup, little instruction manual explains everything pretty simply.

MY ONLY WORD OF WARNING
To pair the connectors up in a network you need to press the button for a specific length of time, and wow it has to be exact. If you're not getting the power light blinking slowly its not looking for anything to pair BUT keep trying! Try and press it for a bit longer perhaps - until you get the power light to flash - then the same on the other plug.
Adding the second pair was easy, do them one at a time - Trigger it to begin pairing, find an existing one and tell that to pair, wait a minute or two for them to get acquainted, then same for the forth.

EQUIPMENT TESTED ON:
So far tested sucessfully on:
NAS (Network Attached Storage) Drive - NSA310 Zyxel to be exact
Sony Playstation 3
Numerous Desktop PCs and Laptops - Win 7, Vista.
Sky Anytime box to give Anytime+ HD (niiiiiiice)
Additional switches - so you'd like to split the connection further once its back out the wall, pick up a cheap ethernet switch and you're sorted. Theres a relatively cheap TP Link Switch on the market for around £13-£15 that Im sure would do the trick but I'm using an Edimax I had spare. (P.S. Might help if it states its a Gigabit switch too, just in case)

DO I HAVE TO PLUG THEM DIRECTLY INTO THE WALL?
Not always. They word fine on a NON-SURGED extension lead, just like those cheap 4/5 plugged ones from IKEA, I've found they dont always have to be plugged into the wall socket - especially since they can be a bit wide. Thats also worth noting for extension leads. If you've got a 4 socket extension, you may struggle to fit something next to the Adapter.
For surged extension leads the speed can drop off. Would you notice in browsing the web? Not sure - but if you do it, try to use non-surge if you're desperate for additional ports.

DOES IT COME WITH CABLES?
Yes, two yellow Cat 5e cables which is a nice extra - it would have been a pain to hunt around for spare cables.

DOES IT PLAY HD MEDIA?
On our house yes it does. Successfully streaming 10GB+ High Definition movies from bottom floor to the attic. Transfer speed tops around 8megabytes a second which is excellent (thats not the same as 8mbps remember ;) )

Happy to answer any questions in comments.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab for places where WI-FI does not reach., 30 Dec. 2014
These are brilliant, my WiFi does not reach my bedroom upstairs. These was the excellent solution some one recommended to me and omg they are superb, i have a 4 gang switch (TP-Link) in my bedroom which links up with these, then the other end is my (VM) Superhub. I have my Laptop, xbox and smart TV all linked up to one of these. Speeds are excellent.

I know this sounds stupid but if your plugging it into a extension lead then make sure the TP-Link is in the closest socket to the cable. Strangely it makes a massive difference. Obviously they will perform better when plugged into a plug socket.

Try it!! 100% Recommend!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars The good: These are easy and quick to set up, 3 Mar. 2015
The good:

These are easy and quick to set up.

The bad:

What was not clear to me but which you should be aware of, is that these will not perform well at high broadband speeds. For example, I have 80 megabit fibre broadband. I bought these thinking that a direct connection would be faster (which it should), however wirelessly I get about 68 megabits, and with these about 12 megabits.

If you have normal broadband then these are a good option if you struggle to receive good wireless speeds, however with a faster connection you should look for an alternative.

I asked a phone engineer about this and he said that 'Powerline adapters aren't optimised for VDSL, which is what fibre uses'. I don't know what this means, but maybe it will help you find something more suitable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for under £30, 19 Sept. 2013
Firstly, apologies - my speed test results are currently only win7 rather than Iperf/ixChariot. I've added a couple of pics as the devices supplied now seem to be the smaller (and much nicer IMO) blue tint TP-PA4010 rather than earlier white TP-PA411 (box still reads TP-PA411).

My scenario requires ripping music / videos on a desktop upstairs while my samba file server is in the basement. I've been using a Buffalo N300 device as an wi-fi access point but couldn't better about 2.5MBps ( so 20Mbps). Copying completed 1GB film rips to the server is a real drag. It's just a tricky path for wi-fi and I haven't managed to improve it much despite various attempts.

Having recently had another couple of machines to fix, and needing to dig out an old usb wifi dongle, I thought I'd give this kit a go prior to getting the drill out and pulling (yet) more cat5 cable round the house (would be invasive for this particular scenario).

Being a kit they work out the box (are paired) however I did do the 1 sec security button press, just to see how it worked (pretty easily when they are next to each other). I should have perhaps checked to see if they were using the common default HomeplugAV network name to begin with but I forgot to check. I guess I could factory reset them and take a look, but... well... meh...

Anyway, you can use the included TP-Link utility to set things via your computer, its a mini CD but the utility is easy to download direct from TP-Link (or actually pretty much any other manufactures powerline utility will work too).

I don't like many of these utilities to be honest. They seem to have a completely different GUI for the "local" homeplug device to any of the remote ones. They mix up terms like network name / password, device name / password, while configuration in one app doesn't seem to persist to different apps. I suspect a lot of the settings are being stored on the local machine and just mapped for display purposes (or something similar).

I'm currently playing with the "D-Link powerline AV utility v1.00" having tried the supplied TP-Link version and a few others (including an unbranded base Atheros item). This D-Link version has a simple list for all homeplug devices on a single screen (which I prefer) but has no QOS settings like some of the others (which I don't really need right now). I would think most people probably wouldn't need these utilities at all.

Anyway, as well as the two adapters, mini CD, and some ECC conformity notes, the box includes 2 yellow cat 5 cables.

Moving on to performance, my scenario is:

Server -> 16 port gig switch -> Homeplug basement -> Homeplug upstairs -> 5 port gig switch -> Desktop

It's an old house (but rewired about 20 yrs ago?) and devices are on the same ring main (so no need to traverse the fuse box to another ring).

Talking just in bits, the devices report about 330 Mbps on the ring main when in the wall socket or 280 when in a surge protected gang plug. This translates to about 80 and 64 Mbps respectivly in win7. When in the wall the max transfer speed occurs almost immediately while in the surge gang it seems to start about 20 Mbps lower and build up over the first half-minute or so.

I would say 80 Mbps is pretty much the max given the devices only have 10/100 network sockets. Links appear solid and resilient in my experience. If someone wishes I could test them across 2 different ring mains to see what impact that has?

In conclusion, I'm satisfied and happy to recommend them to anyone else at the given price point. I'll stick with them until such time as Homeplug AV2 MIMO items become available at a reasonable price, or I succumb to the drill and pull some more cat5 (cue divorce proceedings).

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use but makes such a fantastic difference to poor signal issues, 21 Jan. 2015
I purchased this product after having endless issues with my broadband provider and the inability to get a solid and constant signal from the new "super hub"! My office is in a room separate from the hub so working became impossible with disruptions to the signal every few minutes. It was suggested by the provider that I tried this product and they were well worth the money paid for them. Im not a technical expert and I hadnt even heard of them before the suggestion so I didnt quite know what to expect. I tend to read bad reviews first and noticed a few people comment on pairing issues and software (i havent had to use any softeware at all and pairing is as simple as pressing a button, watch the video to see how easy connection is) but they were extremely simple to set up and id strongly recommend them to anyone having similar issues. They are also portable without losing connection so I can also link my PS4 up in another room and get the best connection speeds ive ever known.

5.0 out of 5 stars These were so good I bought two more within an hour of plugging ..., 15 Mar. 2015
brainleek007 (Bracknell) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
These were so good I bought two more within an hour of plugging my original ones in.

Step 1. Plug one unit in to a power socket within reach of your router + connect the supplied Ethernet cable to said router.
Step 2. Plug other unit into power outlet socket in the room where you want internet. Use supplied Ethernet cable to connect to a device
Step 3. Enjoy internet connection as good as if you were plugged into your router!

It really is that simple. No messing about, no pairing, passwords or anything.

The plugs are small - not much bigger than a phone charger and these particular models have one Ethernet outlet. Other models offer multiple Ethernet outlets. They look / feel really well made and are just brilliantly simple to use. Also, for £25 you get two adapters plus 2 x Ethernet cables of about a 5-6 feet in length so really great value and gives you everything you need in the box.

1.0 out of 5 stars Frequent dropouts a common problem, 24 Aug. 2014
Ringo (Fife, Scotland) - See all my reviews
As another reviewer reported on 4th August, these adapters suffer from frequent unexplained dropouts that last for 30-60 seconds at a time. There is a 2 year old thread on the TP-Link forum about the issue which nobody has addressed. Customer service seems to be non-existent, as nobody official will post on the forum to give advice.