3,270 Reviews
 (2,539)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product but be aware how to set up
Great product, but BEWARE...

When pairing two adapters, only hold the button down for between 3 and 8 seconds, then let go (I counted to five). The power light on the front will then flash.

Don't do what I did, and hold the button until the lights flashed, then let go. This is too long (about 12 seconds) and the pairing will not work...
Published on 4 Sep 2011 by Mr. Nicholas J. Kimberley

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the answer to all evil!
I recently bought a Samsung Smart TV and found that the wireless connection in our bedroom was not good enough to use the Smart element of the TV (needs 10Mbp believe it or not!). We currently have a virgin broadband router that consistently produces about 30 Mbp when tested by speedtest.net. The speedtest on the wireless in the bedroom was at about 6-7 mbp so I thought...
Published 18 months ago by Rob Carr

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product but be aware how to set up, 4 Sep 2011
Great product, but BEWARE...

Lastly, if you are 'pairing' three (or more) adaptors, make sure they are in very close proximity, just during the pairing process. If you don't get to the third adaptor within a couple of seconds of the first two to pair it, you'll never get all three communicating.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stuck at 11 Mbps in the TP-Link software? FIXED., 10 Aug 2012
This review is from: TP-Link PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack (Accessory)
TP-Link PA411 AV500 Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack

Ok I went for the 500Mbps ones (but they work on the same principles as the 200 mbps ones, just faster) but was sceptical about 500Mbps over a 1940's built house, but neither the less wanted to give my Virgin Media 120mb line the best chance..

Virgin are always upgrading their broadband connection speed so I'd imagine 200 mbps would be surpassed within a year or two as they roll out 300 mbps and 500 mbps lines going forward.

PAIRING...

Ignore the instructions, just do this...
1) Connect your 1st homeplug to your broadband router via supplied network lead
2) Connect your 2nd homeplug to your other PC/Xbox/Laptop etc
3) Press the pair button on the 1st home plug in for 1 second (power LED will slowly flash)
4) RUN to the 2nd homeplug and press pair button in for 1 Second
5) Both units will flash for a minute or two (not sure why it takes this length of time, but it don't matter - go make a cuppa) and then the connection should be established. Turn on your other PC/Xbox/Laptop device etc and enjoy.

NOTE: You can add another homeplug by pairing with the 1st one.
You can also move the home plug to another socket, you don't need to do any of the above pairing etc as they are already "friends".

After this I went to get some food but came back and now wanted to test the speed of these badboys! I installed the supplied software and after a fiddly time trying to get the 2nd homeplug picked up by the software (though it still allowed network traffic - just the software couldn't see it) I was horrified to see a paltry 11mpbs!
I moved both homeplugs to an original build double power socket in the kitchen, attached the network lead from the router to homeplug no 1 and retested. They were both next to each other in the same socket and I was still stuck on 11mpbs!

FAULTY! So I slept on it and was ready to send these back. However, I had been testing all this time with the XBOX switched off assuming the speed seen in the software was between homeplugs. THIS IS NOT THE CASE. The speed reported is between DEVICES, if one is switched off, the software ALWAYS reports 11 mpbs. So to get a true speed, you HAVE TO have both devices (router and PC/Xbox/Laptop etc) switched on!

I'm now getting 327Mbps, which is still a bit shy of 500Mbps but I'm happy with that as my research on google has shown not a lot of people can get near that. For the extra 9 the 500Mbps version are a bit more future proof and a lot better if being used on a home network where speeds will exceed the broadband im using.
Happy to help anyone who needs advice, just drop me a line.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 20 July 2011
At the time of writing this is the cheapest Homeplug pair in the market.

Easy to set up and very reliable. The product description states that it can transmit up to a distance of 300 m. I previously could not get wireless broadband coverage into my garden office; this pair of TP Links has done the job perfectly.

Please note that this comes with 2 ethernet cables (1 m length) so no need to buy separate cables (...as i did!).

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great....after you manage to pair them, 8 Nov 2012
Mine did not pair first time round automatically. I pressed the Pair button for more than 10 seconds, which causes the unit to withdraw itself from the network.

The only solution from then on was to do a complete reset via the supplied software.

Plug both sockets into adjacent sockets, so you don't have to run from room to room. Power on both. For one of the adapters, plug the ethernet cable directly to your PC. If you have antivirus software, disable it temporarily. The TP-Link software will then detect the adapter plug. Click the Reset the plug option. You will see a little progress bar. The process takes about 5 seconds. All three lights on the adapter will now be on! Now, over to the other adapter plug.

Unplug the ethernet cable from the adapter plug that had been reset, and plug it into the other adapter plug. Then do exactly the same step again: click the Reset option on the software.

You should now see all three lights on on both plugs. i.e. they are now paired!

Now you can unplug both of these adapters from where they are and start again. Plug one into your router, and a wall socket. Turn the power on. Then go to another socket, and plug the other adapter in, and ethernet cable to your device. voila - you've got an extended network via a paired set of adapters.

4.0 out of 5 stars simply brilliant, 29 April 2012
Mr. J. E. Cox "gooney71" (cambridge) - See all my reviews
Ordered theses because my internet was upstairs, didn't want cables all over the house. I must admit I was a bit naughty......it does state not to use on an extention plug and to use dirrectley in a wall socket. I have a four way extention lead upstsairs and a five way extention lead downstairs, thought I would ignore what they say and try it.............it worked fine....... I have a panasonic tv with build in internet with youtube,facebook,twitter etc and it worked perfectly fine with no lag what so ever. I know have sky store aswell, I think youtube is alot better with these wired plugs rather thsn wifi. No buffering what so ever, and on the plus side I didn't have to set them up, they worked straight away with out pairing them. They do have two ethernet cables in the box, but I bought two by mistake.......

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't believe it works so well!, 11 Mar 2012
I am amazed at how brilliant the product is and how brilliantly it works, We have a summerhouse in the garden, Well call it a cinema room/games pad, strong structure well decorated inside like a living room in the home.
Anyway we needed internet in their for the Xbox 360, PS3 and Laptop! our wireless didn't pick up too well if at all in the summer house from our house, anyway we tried one of these, we have electrics installed in the summerhouse of the electrics board from the house when the summerhouse was built so we were unsure how well this would work! Well its fantastic, we are getting full download speeds and uploads speeds for what our line can handle and brilliantly low ping!

Next thing which MAY HELP THOSE WHO ARE READING THIS REVIEW is we needed more Ethernet ports/connections to hook up all our stuff (Xbox 360, PS3, LAPTOP) obviously there is only one Ethernet port on the plug which is in the summerhouse. We didn't want to have to pay for another 3 powerline adapters as that would start becoming pricey!we found this cheap TP-Link 5-Port 10/100 Unmanaged Mini Desktop Switch (TL-SF1005D)which is like a small ethernet box with 5 ethernet ports on it! The ethernet powerline adapter in the summerhouse had an ethernet cable plugged into it and then into the back of the TP-Link 5-Port 10/100 Unmanaged Mini Desktop Switch which then left 4 free ethernet ports to connect the xbox 360 PS3 and Laptop. The TP-Link 5-Port 10/100 Unmanaged Mini Desktop Switch only cost 7 quid saving us a fortune instead of buying 3 more powerline adaptors!

Here is a link for the TP-Link 5-Port 10/100 Unmanaged Mini Desktop Switch: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000FNFSPY/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d1_g147_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0BNPF9PJYCEVZM8GZ6TG&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

Hope this review helps others! Please feel free to comment if this review helped or if you need further help. Thank-you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 21 July 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These things are AMAZING.

For years now, I have been constantly raging at wireless - a technology that despite its prominence has always struck me as not really ready for prime-time. It's a system that requires, in my experience, almost constantly curation to maintain anything like a usable network, and too erratic and unreliable for anything other than bare internet access. Admittedly I have four computers, a laptop, several mobile phones and a tablet all using the same connection - but that's besides the point. Wireless has been a technology which is super convenient but not actually very good.

And along comes networking via the power lines. I was, I admit, extremely skeptical that it would be viable - I'd heard a lot of negativity about how flaky the technology was, and since I hadn't kept up with new developments I had just assumed nothing had really improved.

Consider me a convert.

Setup is a breeze - plug the devices into wall sockets, press the pairing button at the bottom, and then you can plug them into any wall socket in the house. Connect an ethernet cable from your computer to the adapter, and bam - you have a fast, rock solid network connection that doesn't constantly drop on you. What's more, you can have as many of them as you need on your network - just buy another device, pair it, and away you go.

The sole drawback is that they take up a wall socket (you can't plug them into a gang plug), but if that's a deal-breaker for you you can spend a little more to get pass-through adapters.

(Almost) all the convenience of wireless, but with all the reliability of wired. What more could you ask for>

5.0 out of 5 stars For Use in Garden Office, 27 Jan 2012
I have a BT Home Hub which works very well within my house but I have a garden summerhouse (its not a shed ...honest) which I use to run my business from. The office is about 30m from the house and about 40m and a couple of stone walls away from my hub. I only managed to get one bar of signal on my wifi in my office and the speed was around 0.5mb/sec.

I ran a power cable from my house out to the shed...sorry, office, which i use for my computer. I decided to buy the TP-Link to try and improve the internet signal. I plugged one in next to my homehub and the other into my office extension plug socket. The computer in my office connects to the TP-Link via an ethernet cable (supplied with the TP-Link). I simply pressed the button on the one next to my homehub for 6 seconds then went out to my office and pressed the one in the office for 6 seconds, simple as that. I now have 7mb/sec download and full signal in the office.

Works really well and couldn't be easier to set up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy, 10 Jan 2012
I finally got sick of wireless connection problems having bought an absolutely dreadful Edimax card PCI card. Have had so many annoyances with wireless that I thought I'd give a pair of these ago. I was worried that this purchase would make me even more angry if/when it didn't work. Needn't have worried. Plugged them in, connected the cables, pressed pair on both (took 2 mins) - instant, solid internet connection. Only been running a few weeks but so far no problems at all. A great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless can only get you so far..., 3 Dec 2011
Big.E (Bodmin, Cornwall) - See all my reviews
...which is why if you're more of an intense PC/Mac/Xbox/PS3 user or can't be bothered forking out for some expensive dongle for your TV/blu-ray player these come in very handy.

They weren't as plug and play as I'd hoped, but I am still awarding them 5 stars as TP-Link can't be held responsible for the state of my home mains power system, and I want this point to preface all the comments I make below. It may be I experienced these problems purely because of the way our houses' wiring is set up, but I just wanted to go through my issues in the hope that it will save someone tearing their hair out in future.

At first, no matter where I put the plugs they wouldn't connect by following the provided instructions.

In the end, this is what worked for me. I plugged both of them in to the same extension block near the router and plugged one ethernet cable into the router and one into my laptop, making sure both were on. I had the utility program supplied on the CD up and running on my laptop too, which tells you as soon as they are connected. At this stage, you should have the power and ethernet LEDs lit up green on both plugs.

They were virtually next to each other on the extension, so I pressed the pair buttons at the same time. Hold until the LEDs on both plugs blink off and then on again (about 8-10 seconds). Within a few seconds, the middle 'powerline' LED lit up on both plugs.

Then I unplugged the plug I wanted in my bedroom and quickly went to plug it in upstairs. Quickly. Once it was in and I'd hooked up the ethernet cable to my laptop, then all 3 LEDs lit up and I was connected.

My (uneducated) guess is that because of my mains wiring, the initial connection needed to be on sockets very close to each other. Once they've found each other I needed to quickly move it to where I wanted the second plug before the connection was lost.

A few points to note:

1. They don't like working off an ethernet switch - Run out of ethernet ports on your router? Then you may be in trouble as for the life of me I couldn't get them to connect plugged into the ethernet switch in our house.

2. They DO work on a extension block - Contrary to the instructions' frowny face pictogram, they work fine off a 6-socket extension at both ends. (We have a multitude of electronics in the house, so getting an actual wall-socket near the router was impossible, which I would venture may be the case in many households.)

3. Keep pressing the pair button - This was the only time I started to question the actual TP-Link hardware. A bit hit-and-miss with the pairing but I found the best thing to do was press them both at the same time. If this fails to work then reset both plugs via the supplied utility program on your computer, and try again.

4. DO NOT mess with the network name setting. This just put me right back to square one, plus it's unnecessary as the pair buttons makes the connection secure.

So that's my unofficial guide to getting your homeplugs working if you have wonky mains wiring (as tends to be the case in Cornwall :). The setup instructions should be the same theoretically if you want to connect a desktop or blu-ray player, as you don't need your device connected by ethernet in the beginning to make the initial connection between the plugs.

I hope this helps someone and I hope it's clear enough to understand. They are brilliant, I'm getting 1.4mbs download on our 10MBit Sky broadband line, which is consistently quicker than a wireless connection in the house. In my opinion and experience wireless is great for portable devices like phones and tablets, but in a busy household it puts a lot of strain on a router to have to support all those radio signals, plus they tend clash with any of your neighbours who are trying to run their own wireless networks.

These are a perfect alternative to wi-fi, and if you don't mind one extra cable they will provide you with a solid, constant connection.

ARRAY(0xafea8fc0)