2,362 Reviews
 (1,750)

5.0 out of 5 stars TP-Link PA2030 Powerline Kit Review!
It seems Amazon has lumped all the reviews of the different variations of this product together, just so you know my review is based on the twin pack 200mbps adapters with 3 ports "TL-PA2030KIT".

Published 7 months ago by MrE

1.0 out of 5 stars Connection Drops Randomly
There's a known issue with these. it is discussed on the tp-link forum. they just drop the connection randomly. could be once a day, twice in 10 minutes, completely random. then you have to either power cycle them, or wait 10 minutes. feels like a firmware issue, but as of now there hasn't been an update for over a year.

otherwise speed is good. but it hardly...
Published 4 months ago by Mr Flagpole

5.0 out of 5 stars TP-Link PA2030 Powerline Kit Review!, 18 July 2014
MrE (E Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)

If you want a wired internet connection to a PC, games console or another device but your Router is in a different room then "powerline adapters" are the way to go. They use the electrical wiring system in your house as data cables to send and receive data. The key thing to understand is that for them to work, they must all be on the same fuse box, what i mean by that is if one floor in your house works off a different fuse box than the other, then they won't be able to work across different floors. If your house has 1 Fuse box that covers the whole house then you won't have a problem!!

These by TP-Link are fantastic and are rated up to 200mbps (that's megabits not megabytes). For 99% of people that should be more than sufficient for most things including gaming (you can game off 75mbps quite easily although these will allow for a better bandwidth).

These units are quite small and compact and each features 3 ethernet ports so you can connect up to 3 devices at each end. I myself have my PC, PS4 and TV connected at the same time. You simply plug both adapters in and turn them on and if they don't auto pair then simply press the pair button on one and then go and press the same button on the other and they will sync together. Security wise once connected they are protected by a 128-bit AES Encryption.

There are three lights on the adapters, the top one identifies that the unit is getting power, the second is to show that it has connected to the other adapter and the bottom light shows data is being sent and received. Inside the box besides the two adapters you get 2x 2m ethernet cables, a instruction book and a CD for use with a PC if you are having difficulty in setting it up although i didn't need to use the disk and doubt you will either.

It is important to also note that the adapter i connected my three devices up to does get on the warm side after a few hours of use but it never gets hot, just ensure it's going in a well ventilated area. It's also worth noting that you can connect additional adapters up and have different rooms connected at the same time.

VERDICT: These powerline adapters create a stable wired connection using your existing electrical wiring, provided you don't live in an old house with "dodgy" wiring then you shouldn't have a problem. Range wise they work up to 300m so most houses should be covered. I'll simply finish by saying this, if at present you are using wireless and are sick of the constant drop outs and disconnects or if you are a gamer and sick of the "lag" that you can get due to your connection, try using these and you should find most of your connection problems will be resolved.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stuck at 11 Mbps in the TP-Link software? FIXED., 10 Aug. 2012
This review is from: TP-LINK PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter Starter Kit- Twin Pack (Accessory)
TP-Link PA411 AV500 Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack

Ok I went for the 500Mbps ones (but they work on the same principles as the 200 mbps ones, just faster) but was sceptical about 500Mbps over a 1940's built house, but neither the less wanted to give my Virgin Media 120mb line the best chance..

Virgin are always upgrading their broadband connection speed so I'd imagine 200 mbps would be surpassed within a year or two as they roll out 300 mbps and 500 mbps lines going forward.

PAIRING...

Ignore the instructions, just do this...
1) Connect your 1st homeplug to your broadband router via supplied network lead
2) Connect your 2nd homeplug to your other PC/Xbox/Laptop etc
3) Press the pair button on the 1st home plug in for 1 second (power LED will slowly flash)
4) RUN to the 2nd homeplug and press pair button in for 1 Second
5) Both units will flash for a minute or two (not sure why it takes this length of time, but it don't matter - go make a cuppa) and then the connection should be established. Turn on your other PC/Xbox/Laptop device etc and enjoy.

NOTE: You can add another homeplug by pairing with the 1st one.
You can also move the home plug to another socket, you don't need to do any of the above pairing etc as they are already "friends".

After this I went to get some food but came back and now wanted to test the speed of these badboys! I installed the supplied software and after a fiddly time trying to get the 2nd homeplug picked up by the software (though it still allowed network traffic - just the software couldn't see it) I was horrified to see a paltry 11mpbs!
I moved both homeplugs to an original build double power socket in the kitchen, attached the network lead from the router to homeplug no 1 and retested. They were both next to each other in the same socket and I was still stuck on 11mpbs!

FAULTY! So I slept on it and was ready to send these back. However, I had been testing all this time with the XBOX switched off assuming the speed seen in the software was between homeplugs. THIS IS NOT THE CASE. The speed reported is between DEVICES, if one is switched off, the software ALWAYS reports 11 mpbs. So to get a true speed, you HAVE TO have both devices (router and PC/Xbox/Laptop etc) switched on!

I'm now getting 327Mbps, which is still a bit shy of 500Mbps but I'm happy with that as my research on google has shown not a lot of people can get near that. For the extra £9 the 500Mbps version are a bit more future proof and a lot better if being used on a home network where speeds will exceed the broadband im using.
Happy to help anyone who needs advice, just drop me a line.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good - some hints and tips in my review, 20 Oct. 2012
Amazing little things. Loved the first pair so much I bought another pair!
I decided to get the 500mbps instead of the ever-so-slightly cheaper 200mbps and I dont think there would be much difference in performance but I like to future-proof since we've just had fibre optic installed (can handle our 30mbps connection no problem)

REMEMBER: 500mbps doesnt mean 500megabytes per second, it means 500megabits per second.
(Google it if you want to find out more but you divide the mbps by 8 to give you megabytes value)

Quite easy to setup, little instruction manual explains everything pretty simply.

MY ONLY WORD OF WARNING
To pair the connectors up in a network you need to press the button for a specific length of time, and wow it has to be exact. If you're not getting the power light blinking slowly its not looking for anything to pair BUT keep trying! Try and press it for a bit longer perhaps - until you get the power light to flash - then the same on the other plug.
Adding the second pair was easy, do them one at a time - Trigger it to begin pairing, find an existing one and tell that to pair, wait a minute or two for them to get acquainted, then same for the forth.

EQUIPMENT TESTED ON:
So far tested sucessfully on:
NAS (Network Attached Storage) Drive - NSA310 Zyxel to be exact
Sony Playstation 3
Numerous Desktop PCs and Laptops - Win 7, Vista.
Sky Anytime box to give Anytime+ HD (niiiiiiice)
Additional switches - so you'd like to split the connection further once its back out the wall, pick up a cheap ethernet switch and you're sorted. Theres a relatively cheap TP Link Switch on the market for around £13-£15 that Im sure would do the trick but I'm using an Edimax I had spare. (P.S. Might help if it states its a Gigabit switch too, just in case)

DO I HAVE TO PLUG THEM DIRECTLY INTO THE WALL?
Not always. They word fine on a NON-SURGED extension lead, just like those cheap 4/5 plugged ones from IKEA, I've found they dont always have to be plugged into the wall socket - especially since they can be a bit wide. Thats also worth noting for extension leads. If you've got a 4 socket extension, you may struggle to fit something next to the Adapter.
For surged extension leads the speed can drop off. Would you notice in browsing the web? Not sure - but if you do it, try to use non-surge if you're desperate for additional ports.

DOES IT COME WITH CABLES?
Yes, two yellow Cat 5e cables which is a nice extra - it would have been a pain to hunt around for spare cables.

DOES IT PLAY HD MEDIA?
On our house yes it does. Successfully streaming 10GB+ High Definition movies from bottom floor to the attic. Transfer speed tops around 8megabytes a second which is excellent (thats not the same as 8mbps remember ;) )

Happy to answer any questions in comments.

1.0 out of 5 stars Connection Drops Randomly, 3 Oct. 2014
Mr Flagpole (london, england) - See all my reviews

otherwise speed is good. but it hardly makes up for the drop outs.

1.0 out of 5 stars caused periodic drop outs which was especially annoying when online gaming on the playstation, 29 Sept. 2014
Chris (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Rubbish, caused periodic drop outs which was especially annoying when online gaming on the playstation. And that was in a small 2 bedroom flat with new wiring. I definitely would NOT recommend these TP-Link PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack they are more of an annoyance than anything else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works very well without set up hassle, 1 Dec. 2014
I have a smart tv that was using wifi to watch iplayer and it kept buffering which made me turn it off. after being told about this adapter i was a bit reserved in judgement as i know nothing about technology.
the kit arrived, i plugged it in, it connected. after about 10 minutes, i switched on the tv and now i dont have any more buffering.
i dont know if this was the best kit or the worst but it works very well for me and i have purchased another kit for a wifi booster and my daughters tv.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for under £30, 19 Sept. 2013
Firstly, apologies - my speed test results are currently only win7 rather than Iperf/ixChariot. I've added a couple of pics as the devices supplied now seem to be the smaller (and much nicer IMO) blue tint TP-PA4010 rather than earlier white TP-PA411 (box still reads TP-PA411).

My scenario requires ripping music / videos on a desktop upstairs while my samba file server is in the basement. I've been using a Buffalo N300 device as an wi-fi access point but couldn't better about 2.5MBps ( so 20Mbps). Copying completed 1GB film rips to the server is a real drag. It's just a tricky path for wi-fi and I haven't managed to improve it much despite various attempts.

Having recently had another couple of machines to fix, and needing to dig out an old usb wifi dongle, I thought I'd give this kit a go prior to getting the drill out and pulling (yet) more cat5 cable round the house (would be invasive for this particular scenario).

Being a kit they work out the box (are paired) however I did do the 1 sec security button press, just to see how it worked (pretty easily when they are next to each other). I should have perhaps checked to see if they were using the common default HomeplugAV network name to begin with but I forgot to check. I guess I could factory reset them and take a look, but... well... meh...

Anyway, you can use the included TP-Link utility to set things via your computer, its a mini CD but the utility is easy to download direct from TP-Link (or actually pretty much any other manufactures powerline utility will work too).

I don't like many of these utilities to be honest. They seem to have a completely different GUI for the "local" homeplug device to any of the remote ones. They mix up terms like network name / password, device name / password, while configuration in one app doesn't seem to persist to different apps. I suspect a lot of the settings are being stored on the local machine and just mapped for display purposes (or something similar).

I'm currently playing with the "D-Link powerline AV utility v1.00" having tried the supplied TP-Link version and a few others (including an unbranded base Atheros item). This D-Link version has a simple list for all homeplug devices on a single screen (which I prefer) but has no QOS settings like some of the others (which I don't really need right now). I would think most people probably wouldn't need these utilities at all.

Anyway, as well as the two adapters, mini CD, and some ECC conformity notes, the box includes 2 yellow cat 5 cables.

Moving on to performance, my scenario is:

Server -> 16 port gig switch -> Homeplug basement -> Homeplug upstairs -> 5 port gig switch -> Desktop

It's an old house (but rewired about 20 yrs ago?) and devices are on the same ring main (so no need to traverse the fuse box to another ring).

Talking just in bits, the devices report about 330 Mbps on the ring main when in the wall socket or 280 when in a surge protected gang plug. This translates to about 80 and 64 Mbps respectivly in win7. When in the wall the max transfer speed occurs almost immediately while in the surge gang it seems to start about 20 Mbps lower and build up over the first half-minute or so.

I would say 80 Mbps is pretty much the max given the devices only have 10/100 network sockets. Links appear solid and resilient in my experience. If someone wishes I could test them across 2 different ring mains to see what impact that has?

In conclusion, I'm satisfied and happy to recommend them to anyone else at the given price point. I'll stick with them until such time as Homeplug AV2 MIMO items become available at a reasonable price, or I succumb to the drill and pull some more cat5 (cue divorce proceedings).

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 21 July 2012
Dr. Michael Heron (Brechin) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These things are AMAZING.

For years now, I have been constantly raging at wireless - a technology that despite its prominence has always struck me as not really ready for prime-time. It's a system that requires, in my experience, almost constantly curation to maintain anything like a usable network, and too erratic and unreliable for anything other than bare internet access. Admittedly I have four computers, a laptop, several mobile phones and a tablet all using the same connection - but that's besides the point. Wireless has been a technology which is super convenient but not actually very good.

And along comes networking via the power lines. I was, I admit, extremely skeptical that it would be viable - I'd heard a lot of negativity about how flaky the technology was, and since I hadn't kept up with new developments I had just assumed nothing had really improved.

Consider me a convert.

Setup is a breeze - plug the devices into wall sockets, press the pairing button at the bottom, and then you can plug them into any wall socket in the house. Connect an ethernet cable from your computer to the adapter, and bam - you have a fast, rock solid network connection that doesn't constantly drop on you. What's more, you can have as many of them as you need on your network - just buy another device, pair it, and away you go.

The sole drawback is that they take up a wall socket (you can't plug them into a gang plug), but if that's a deal-breaker for you you can spend a little more to get pass-through adapters.

(Almost) all the convenience of wireless, but with all the reliability of wired. What more could you ask for>

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab for places where WI-FI does not reach., 30 Dec. 2014
These are brilliant, my WiFi does not reach my bedroom upstairs. These was the excellent solution some one recommended to me and omg they are superb, i have a 4 gang switch (TP-Link) in my bedroom which links up with these, then the other end is my (VM) Superhub. I have my Laptop, xbox and smart TV all linked up to one of these. Speeds are excellent.

I know this sounds stupid but if your plugging it into a extension lead then make sure the TP-Link is in the closest socket to the cable. Strangely it makes a massive difference. Obviously they will perform better when plugged into a plug socket.

Try it!! 100% Recommend!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the answer to all evil!, 30 Sept. 2012
I recently bought a Samsung Smart TV and found that the wireless connection in our bedroom was not good enough to use the Smart element of the TV (needs 10Mbp believe it or not!). We currently have a virgin broadband router that consistently produces about 30 Mbp when tested by speedtest.net. The speedtest on the wireless in the bedroom was at about 6-7 mbp so I thought that these units would solve my problem by providing a wired speed nearer to the 30mbp we get downstairs. Connecting and pairing the two units was incredibly easy and yes they do work well (even in plugboards). However the speed in the bedroom was only 12-14 Mbps - a considerable improvement on the wireless speed, but no where near the actual speed coming out of the router. Clearly there is considerable speed loss the further the signal needs to travel along the mains wires (different ring mains etc) So buy these with your eyes wide open - if you have a poor wireless signal they will probably increase the speed but be aware it is not the same as plugging in an ethernet cable direct from the router into your PC, Smart TV etc.