The Luster Mini is a rechargeable 3,000mAh battery unit that can then be used to charge a slave device connected to it via USB. The 2 in 1 refers to this also acting as a flashlight at the expense of some onboard power. Included in the package is the Luster External Battery/Flashlight, pen style clip, user manual & a USB to micro USB cable for charging. You can obviously use any USB cable that is designed for your device.

The RAVPower is very compact and it's cylindrical shape make it seem like an oversized lipstick. It's finished in brushed aluminium and has a weighty and very solid feel to it which inspires confidence.
It features an LED torch on one end and both full sized and micro USB ports on the other next to a small on/off button. There is no supplied charger but the included cable or indeed any other micro USB cable can be used in connection with any USB source.

From a full charge, 3,000 mAh of portable power is on offer. While this doesn't sound like a lot, to put this in an IOS perspective, an iPhone 5 rated @ 1,440 mAh could be fully charged twice. Charging a retina iPad is out with the scope of this product with its single 1A USB output but the earlier iPad mini would get a healthy shot in the arm when out and about, charging to around 2/3 full. One thing I did note during my testing was that regardless of what device you are charging or even if you are recharging the Ravpower itself, it remained cool at all times with no sign of heating up. This is a reassuring surprise when it comes to portable devices and batteries.

The LED torch adds to the utility of this product and it functions very well indeed. It works in one of three modes, high power which is very bright, half power which saves battery at the expense of luminosity and finally strobe which could be useful in an emergency for attracting attention.

Because of the shape of the Luster Mini, I think the clip is very handy, not just to secure it in a pocket or similar but also to stop this rolling around flat surfaces. The only negative to this battery pack is a lack of a charge indicator meaning you have no way of accurately telling how much charge remains.

For me, travelling with my usual compliment of gadgets makes a product like a power bank a sensible purchase. All my portable gadgets from phones, tablets, music player, ebook reader and camera can be charged via USB and having the ability to do this when away from a fixed power source gives real peace of mind. The RAVPower RP-PB08 delivers a small but pocket-able power source with the added benefit of a handy LED torch in a well priced package.
on 30 April 2014
This is really good and has stopped me having to find a plug socket every day at 4pm for my ridiculously useless iPhone battery. It's heavier than you might expect but fits easily into a handbag. My only gripes are that a) the torch is very easy to turn on by mistake, which is not only annoying but means the torch is using up the battery that you need to charge the phone with and b) that one night I charged it fully overnight and then didn't need to use it the next day, so the following day it was still in my bag and I tried to use it, but it had no power left at all. Even if you haven't used it in the day, make sure you charge it again that night. I'd also recommending finding a similar product without the torch (unless you live somewhere without street lights...).
on 24 November 2014
Always need one of these awesome little handy gadgets to charge my phone, so I had to give rav power a go. They are well known and the quality hasn't let me down in the past. It met my expectations without a doubt and I couldn't be happier with it. May have to get a few more for gifts!

The Design of the product is yet simple and elegant. It is the length of your finger and the width of 2 fingers. It can be very easily fitted into your pocket and used even while you are commuting.
It comes in a lipstick tube design that fits right into your pocket and is available in multi colours to allow you to keep your options open. With the model I received PB24 there is no flash light at the bottom end of the battery pack however another version gives you a flash light as an added feature making it super useful and giving it some added value to it.

The Power is 3000 mAh. In simpler terms it should be able to give your smartphone a full charge before the devices own battery runs out. It has been tested and my iPhone 5 battery lasted around 5/6 hours longer after having it charged with the Luster power bank. That is quite a fair amount of fuel from a small little device it is. It uses grade A cells to make sure quality never falls below expectations.

How it works
It is so simple and easy to use, you simply will have to charge it up for around 2 hours and it will be ready to fuel your phone when it is in need. It has a cable included to charge up the device via your laptop or I even put that usb into a iPhone charger and it still works through the mains. An LED light will pop up indicating it is on charge. Other wise when using it you will just have to plug it into your phone and press the "on" button and you are good to go.

Overall, I have to say it is a very useful product to have and Rav power are very efficient when producing it as with my experience it has lasted quite a while and is working fine and has a fine build quality. It is a must have product of today and will definitely be one to look out for when finding cheap Christmas pressies!
on 7 July 2014
I got one of these to use with the Raspberry Pi as I needed something smaller than the RAVPower Element power bank I had purchased previously. My aim was to use this for making time-lapse video out and about, so needed it to run for a good few hours.

Initial thoughts when opening the package were good - it has that 'quality weight in the hand' feel to it as soon as you pick it up, and that 'cold metal touch' feel.

I did a test with a Raspberry Pi connected to a PiTFT screen, camera module and keyboard. With all of these things connected I wasn't sure how long it would last, especially with the PiTFT screen, but I ended up getting 5 hours out of it - and that was 5 hours taking a picture every 10 seconds with the camera module!

See the full review and test at [...] .

Outside of my main use for the power bank above, I was impressed by all the little features this has (considering the price). The belt clip is handy and fits nice and tight, the charging indication light keeps you informed, and the torch is impressive considering it isn't its main purpose. The main beam is very bright, great for the car or the 'odd job' drawer at home.

Being an Android smartphone user, I can obviously use this to charge my phone too - and can equally use my phone charger to top this power bank back up as the charging connection is micro-usb.

All in all, another quality product from RAVPower. This is my second power bank from the company and so far I've been impressed every time both in terms of quality and price.
on 25 June 2014
The RavPower Luster Mini has a sleek and modern design, being cylindrical in shape and coming in 5 different colours. It's small enough to fit comfortably in your pocket or handbag, yet packs the capacity to give most mobile phones a full charge. The Luster Mini lacks a charge status indicator but makes up for this with a very powerful LED light having 3 different modes; high, low and strobe, which can be operated by using a small 'ON' button at the end. This battery bank has a number of cool features with automatic device detection, over current protection and short circuit protection. A red light shines when the device is being recharged which turns blue when it's done.

The feature that impressed me the most must be the automatic device detection. This means that there is no chance of you turning off the charging my mistakenly pressing some 'Power button'.

What's in the box?
- The Luster Mini.
- A 38 page user manual in 6 languages (English, German, French, Chinese, Italian and Japanese).
- A ‘Thank You’ card.
- A warranty card.
- A white Micro USB cable
- A detachable belt clip.

Its sleek design, portability, charge capacity and cheap price (£30) make this item a unique product. Combine all that with always having a powerful flashlight available and you’ve got a keeper! The only drawback I noticed with the Luster Mini is that it gets slightly warm (not hot) and that one must cycle through all three light modes to turn the flashlight off, but that is something I am willing to live through for such a cool little device.

When fully charged, the Luster mini managed to completely charge my iPhone whilst leaving some extra juice for using the flashlight.
on 18 June 2014
Having been used to larger and more powerful portable battery chargers I was a little sceptical as to how impressed I would be with this device. And I'm pleased to say I was very pleasantly surprised!

That said it is not flawless. The initial impression served by the packaging is a little weak, the box itself is a little flimsy and everything feels a little crammed in. Again, coming from larger battery packs, it's also a little disappointing that the maximum output is only 1A given most new phones etc tend to be capable of 2A for faster charging. And if I'm really picky then some form of charge level would be useful. The opaque socket end will glow red whilst charging and blue whilst charged (and still plugged in) but a remaining charge indicator would be useful.

In terms of pros, the device does everything it promises. It happily charged my wife's iPhone 5 (with separate lightning cable) and also my Nexus 4 (with included micros USB cable). Fortunately it has a far better feel to it than the packaging it comes from promises. It feels sturdy, well built and has a nice (but not too heavy) weight to it. It happily survived the toddler test with nary a scratch after my 16 month old daughter took it for a test drive on a nearby saucepan. The size is great, be it jacket pocket, handbag or sporran this really will fit almost anywhere.

The torch is just genius, once you've used it you really wonder why all battery packs don't have a basic torch built-in. Not sure it really needs three settings (Bright, a little less bright and strobe) but hey, why not?

All things considered I'm pretty impressed with this device, it does everything you'd hope for, takes little space and should last.
on 18 August 2014
RavPower Luster Power Bank has a nice, compact design that takes up little space, so it easily fits in your bag or pocket and you can take it with you anywhere.
3000mAh will fully charge most smartphones on the market, and built-in flashlight is an interesting addition.
Also with RAVPower Luster Mini 2-in-1 you get a clip that you put on the device so you can hook it to your belt of the pants or in another easily accessible location.
on 26 July 2014
This is an excellent power bank and torch. It was sent to me for review by the manufacturer.

I found it very simple to use as it's charging function was very similar to the RAVPower Wireless File Hub/ Charger that I already own.

I just charged it up from my USB wall charger using the lead supplied. I then charged my device from it. The 5v, 1A output was more than adequate to charge my device.
I was a little disappointed to see that there was no built in charge indicator but, when considering its compactness, you can't have everything.

The in-built torch, although to me only a bells and whistles enhancement, was very easy to operate having High, Low, and Strobe functions [Personally I couldn't see a use for the strobe, apart from maybe attracting attention in an emergency?]
A handy item to have clipped to your clothing if you don't carry a wind up torch in your pocket.

Overall a very nice lightweight item which I would recommend to anyone needing a discreet readily available recharging unit; especially as airport security now demands that you have your portable device operationally charged ready for their inspection.
on 26 June 2014
This charger is the best thing i have bought in ages. The unit its self is very well made, and feels good in the hand. It has a usb cable for charging, and then you can flip the cable over and it can charge your device up. The cable is not very short, and not very long. It's just the right size. It has a clip on it so you clip it in your pocket. I have not had chance to use the torch yet, but with the nights drawing in it will be very handy when i take the dog on the park.

The most i have used is when i get home from work, and i have to get changed and go straight out again. At that point my phone is at about 30% or less, so this is great to get an extra charge to keep it going till bed time. It's small enough to leave in the pocket of my satchel so its always handy when i am out and about. I would recommend this to anyone that needs something to get a few extra charges on their phone. For the price i can see some being ordered for my geeky friends that are always on their phones.

Buy one of these and you wont regret it.
on 1 June 2014
This little battery charger is perfect, if you want to extend the battery life of your phone without lugging a large battery around. Fits perfectly into your pocket, or you can clip it to your belt / pocket / backpack strap via the detachable clip it comes with.

Now this isn't going to charge a smartphone multiple times, but it did charge my Samsung S3 mini twice. I would say it's good to have for a day out, in my case I love listening to internet radio when I walk, so I will never run out of juice. I would advise you use the supplied USB lead as I tried another generic lead and that didn't work with the device.

The device also comes with a built in torch with 3 settings, High, Low and strobe. Its a pretty effective beam of light, for short distance viewing.

As for the people that supply these gadgets, Sunvalleytek, they are a joy to deal with. Nothing seems to be too much trouble and all they seem to want is customer satisfaction at all costs, so another 5 stars from me on that count.