Format: DVDChange

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 June 2011
I'm a massive disney fan as it stands anyway but I was so excited to see a "Royal Edition" of one of my favourites. So, what's different about this version? This edition has a "Disney Enhanced Home Theatre Mix" which is great fun and music videos that you might not have seen before - for any Disney fan this is wonderful to see (Almost like a behind-the-scenes experience).

As for the movie though it's exactly the same, as it should be in my opinion. I'd recommend this classic but if you already have an older copy I wouldn't worry about getting this one. If you're new to Cinderella or looking for a nice gift idea for children then this is a brilliant movie to invest in.

A really lovely, magical classic - not to be missed.
on 6 June 2011
My old copy of Cinderella was very damaged and I bought this one as a replacement, only got the royal edition as was the same price as the original. Not worth buying for the bonus features but the original film is a timeless classic loved by all.
VINE VOICEon 15 November 2005
First released more than 48 years ago, it has remained one of Disneys most popular films. Now a new generation of youngsters and parents alike can enjoy this digital transfer with delight. First things first, picture quality is awesome! However, and this has already been said, it undermines its charm a little somewhat. No matter though, for the vibrant colours does enhance its warmth. The digital remastering also shows its flaws though. Some scenes do look too static, the ball room scene for instance with the audience seemingly frozen in time. But please bear in mind technical animation has come a long way during the past 50 years. Maybe thats why its charm has been lost. As for the sound, mono sound has been remastered to Home Cinema Surround 5.1 Audio which will suit viewers who are lucky enough to own a Home Cinema Surround System. Extras are in abundance, and I am sure they will appeal to Film and Television Historians alike. A very good buy indeed.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 December 2009
Throughly recomment this DVD for children of all ages from 2 to 102 It will always be one of the best, most entertaining Disneys ever made.
on 5 November 2005
I have been looking forward to this one for a while now-one of the most magical Disney classics is now available to own od DVD! As a child,I had a Disney book which included all the classic stories, including Cinderella. Although I had never seen it as a motion picture (until now) the pictures from my book stayed with me and I couldn't wait to see them move. When the film started, I realized the pictures in my head are a milestone away from what this film has now become. Digitally remastered, it is a "modern version" of the classic, but it has unfortunately lost a lot of its' original charm. Determined to prove myself wrong I browsed through the tons of extra features, and found the original trailors for the film, several of them in fact, all of which are exactly what I expected Cinderella to be. The colours on the original are much softer, there is more detail and more shading and all of this is a part of Disney magic, some of which is now unfortunately lost. I was hoping the newly released Cinderella would sing praise to her original animators, but clearly the studio felt some things just had to be updated. Shame really, because otherwise Cinderella is a timeless classic, (its' story stil the same), it is funny, touching, magical and hopeful and for some less fussy fans it will make a wonderful Christmas pressie. There are lots of extra features, for both kids and adults, including the history of Disney and the making of Cinderella. But it just doesn't fit. 21st century Disney films aren't like the original classics, and seeing them "digitally restored" makes you think it's a brand new film (computer animated), when in fact it was drawn by hands of talented animators over 50 years ago. This should be praised by the film itself, not just in the interviews on the extra disc in the box. That aside, if you've never seen Cinderella and have no idea what the film SHOULD look like, you won't be disappointed. And you really shouldn't miss it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 November 2003
After having spent hours trying to track down Cinderella (DVD). I reluctantly had to settle for the video, not expecting too much.
on 23 August 2009
It is everything promised. My daughter is very happy now and dresses like a princess all the time. Swift service Thank you.
on 16 November 2003
firstly i would like to start by saying this is the best disney movie yet...who does not remember this movie as a childhood memory? i certainly do and as an adult i am still a disney maniac
,this film is a true disney masterpiece oozing that walt disney touch we all know and love,especially the characters.and lets face it, we are all suckers for a happy ending arent we?This film displays a classics happy ending.For me if you are a disney fan then count this as a film for adults or the kids!!!!an absolute must have in your disney colection at a bargain price...definatly worth every penny.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
In an effort to revive his sagging animation department, Walt Disney turned once again to a fairy tale. This time around, he chose one of the best known and oldest of them all, Cinderella.
The tale is familiar. A beautiful girl is abused by her stepmother and stepsisters and forced to work as their slave. When a ball is given for all the eligible maidens in the kingdom, Cinderella dreams of going too, only to have her hopes dashed at the last minute. With a gift of magic, she is able to go, but only until the stroke of midnight.
The story is so well known, if fact, that any story about an underdog coming from behind and winning is called a Cinderella story. Disney's job here was to make the story entertaining for 75 minutes. The solution here was creating the animals. Mice Jaq and Gus and their constant struggle against the evil cat Lucifer is funny and tying this sub-plot to the ultimate outcome is brilliant. The other standout character is the stepmother who is frighteningly evil with no super powers.
As with any Disney movie, this one also has great songs. Arguably the best known is "Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo." Right behind it is "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes." My favorite, however, is the often overlooked love song "So This is Love."
While not the best release in the Platinum series, it still stacks up well. The movie has been restored, and it looks great to me. I'm not a nitpicker, but I can't find any problems with the full frame picture, the original aspect ratio. There is an enhanced 5.1 home theater mix, which doesn't seem quite as impressive as some other releases. It seems more like the sound coming equally from all speakers. Of course, given the age of the film, there probably isn't much more they could do. For purists, there is an original soundtrack on the disc as well.
The extras in this set seem to be split between content for kids and adults, with the kids winning. Disc one includes a new version of "A Dream is a Wish" with the stars of several Disney Channel series. It also has several "Cinderella stories" in sports moments, a weird feature to me. Disc two includes several features about living like a princess.
Also on disc two are the bonus features adult fans of this movie will want to watch. There are two "deleted scenes," which are really abandoned songs with the storyboards created for them. In edition there are more abandoned songs with no storyboards on here. It's pretty interesting watching how various ideas went from one form to another before finally making it into the movie. Other extras include a thirty-eight minute documentary about the creation of the show, including achieved interviews with the animators behind the show. We are also treated to an overview of how the movie progressed over the years it was in development, a tribute to the "Nine Old Men," Disney's "Laugh-O-Gram" version of the story from 1922, and radio promotion from the time. I was thrilled to see trailers from the movie's multiple releases here. Unfortunately, there is no commentary in sight.
This Platinum DVD release means that all of Disney's animated movies have been put on DVD at some point in the last few years. While the Platinum series isn't quite as nice for adult fans as they used to be, this is still a release that fans of the movie will want to pick up.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 July 2004
Cinderella is one of the best timeless classics that appeal to all ages and I couldn't wait to buy the DVD for my daughters, but I was told by a local store that it wouldn't be released on DVD for some time so I had to settle for the video. I was dissapointed but when I received my video from this seller I was pleasantly surprised! It was the digitally remastered copy still in its celaphane wrapper with the disney hologram and the quality is GREAT! Next time I need to buy a video I know exactly where to go.