4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent second album., 31 Dec 2012
Steve Bachini (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moxxy - Troyka (Audio CD)
Another excellent album from Troyka following on from their eponymous first. Looks like a three year gap. Please see my other review for a general guide to their style. Some of this one reminded me this time of the album Red by Red on Jigsaw Records, a marvellous 80s UK prog/fusion LP sadly never issued on CD. I have to say that it's not as `out there' as their first album so for those more cautious amongst you it is probably the safer one to try, it has a more usual style of construction and soloing. And again some lovely little tune motifs.

This is another quality 40-odd minutes of jazz-fusion; Troyka is my finest discovery of 2012. My only criticism is of the sound quality as I find the bass swamping things, so it loses a star for this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totaly fresh and inspiring!, 1 April 2013
This review is from: Moxxy (MP3 Download)
Came across this band by accident last year whilst listening to a jazz programme on radio 3, managed to catch most of the performance being aired and I could not believe what I was hearing: 3 young guys who can not only play, but play in an improvised style that I have come to worship through the likes of Miles Davis and my beloved Weather Report. In fact, they remind me so much of the latter band, it's uncanny.
So, for anyone who is unsure, but really likes Miles Davis, Weather Report, Steely Dan, etc. don't hesitate! I need to get there other, earlier album now - happy listening! AJ

4.0 out of 5 stars Troyka, 3 Jan 2013
Mj Elton (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moxxy - Troyka (Audio CD)
What fun ! Humor and great playing -Jazz,hard rock,free playing all in one but with the great Kit Downes there I feel there's also a lightness-no extremity and nothing forced. Makes me smile and is highly original.

Moxxy