5.0 out of 5 stars Resurgence of some modern soul
Published on 14 Jun 2012 by Archie Grimwald

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the greatest from the Last Soul Man
Published on 24 Jun 2012 by M. Bellchambers

5.0 out of 5 stars Resurgence of some modern soul, 14 Jun 2012
Being a long standing die-hard Womack fan the man seldom does wrong in the vocals department despite some occasional dodgy production work on his previous few releases which where some years back now.I had already enjoyed the Gorillaz before Damon embraced Bobby Womack into the fold and I particularly enjoyed the Plastic Beach album for its sheer originality as well as the inclusion of Mr. Womack amongst other guest acts.

Anyway this album has just dropped on my door step and I am writing this review giving my initial impression of the album. Rest assured that Bobby's vocals, despite his mature status are well on form and I must say I think as good as ever. The first track, The Bravest Man In The Universe confirms this immediately.What Mr. Albarn (and Richard Russel)have cleverly done here is showcase the vocals with some typical Gorillaz style studio wizardry. A modern bass rich, dance beat, electronic platform for a revival of the greatest soul singer ever.It all works very well in my opinion and I am sure all parties are extremely happy with the result of their efforts.Listen to wonderful ballad 'Please Forgive My Heart' (Track 2)and the great vocals/acoustic guitar on track 3 (Deep River) and Lana Del Ray adding a haunting quality to track 4 which of all tracks I think would make an interesting remix project with the beats maybe toned down a bit. I stillfind myself slightly longing for more tracks like Deep River by track 9 but I think that is probably my yearning to hear Bobby and his guitar in a more traditional soul setting which I love. Comparisons with the last Gil-Scott Heron album are obvious and I would also anticipate a re-mix album also being on the table if this album shifts enough volumes. Track 10 is a stunning atmospheric song with guest singer Fatoumata Diawara adding do the dimensions of this simple piano led song.Track 11 has a shade of trance led Country and Western which you can't say isn't original! An old-school soulful closer would have really been the icing on this musical cake but the album certainly leaves one wanting more. I suspect that this album will receive mixed reviews as did the Plastic Beach set.Love it or hate it, for me this album is very welcome in my Womack collection and sits well amongst so many great past albums.It also signifies the return of The Soul Survivor which surely everyone should embrace and celebrate with a purchase. This is my intial review and I feel certain that many of these tracks requires a good few listens to truly appreciate them. Check out [...] for a preview of some of these great tracks.
PS Got my tickets for the cancelled June gig.(Get well soon Mr.Womack I am looking forward to hearing these tunes live!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Womack Wonder, 7 Dec 2012
Ian Thompson (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
It has been a great period for wonderful albums from old hands. Bob Dylan has done it, so has Leonard Cohen... now comes this wonder from Womack, one of my best purchases this year. Five stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good., 30 Dec 2012
C. Abela - See all my reviews
It's a very mellow album not what you would expect from Womack but it grows with listening. Worth buying for track 4 alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars great album, great vibe for easy listening and chilling out alone or with company, 30 May 2013
Bobby Womack makes good music, a sound album with great tracks, the man is on form, this album is bobby at his finest

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the greatest from the Last Soul Man, 24 Jun 2012
M. Bellchambers (England) - See all my reviews
Bobby Womack will be as surprised as anyone to have out lasted many of his fast living peers. Along the way he has crafted some of the most wonderous, beautifull soul music ever produced. This is the first album since his 1999 gospel effort - Back To My Roots. While he has earnt the right to collaborate with whoever he choses, I was more than disappointed with this Damon Albarn produced effort. The arrangements are often sparse, consisting of piano and acoustic guitar, but elsewhere there is over heavy bass and aggravating electronic percussion and other effects. There is a total absence of Bobby's signature guitar chops. The songs are plodding in tempo and lack melody.

I can only wish him well in his battle against illness and admire him for continuing to tour. For me, I would like to have seen one last soul album from the Last Soul Man, or perhaps we can have Poet 1 & 2 remastered with alternative mixes from the sessions. That is what this soul fan would have preferred.

5.0 out of 5 stars Womack sound at its best, 27 April 2013
Bobby has never sounded better. This album covers years of output and provides you with the quintessential sound that is BW.

5.0 out of 5 stars CD BY BOBBY WOMACK, 15 April 2013
It was in perfect condition and lovely to listen to, great album at a great price Bobby Womacks return after 20 years and the track please forgive my heart abosolutely fantastic with the band Gorillas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 13 April 2013
If you only buy one album/cd this year - make it this one. Then buy it for all your friends as a gift and recommend it to anyone else you meet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 24 Feb 2013
S. A. Teale (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bravest Man In The Universe (MP3 Download)
Just brilliant intelligent music. Mr Womack and his enthusiasm coming back at you wit love love and more love...A truly gifted guy

5.0 out of 5 stars A gift for Christmas, 17 Jan 2013
I haven't listened to this but I got it for my future brother in law for Christmas and he raved about it.