on 20 June 2012
Well, she went and did it didn't she? Gabby Young has managed to make me even more of a groupie than I was before. Second albums are notoriously difficult (the curse of the second album isn't a myth) to do and there aren't many artists that have come up with something that beats an exciting debut. Gabby Young and her extremely talented Animals have done just that.

There's so much to praise about this CD it's difficult to seperate the critical thinking from the "ahhhhhhhhh" feelings that the music creates. I guess we could start with the packaging which is superb and sets the tone for what goodies lie within the giftwrap. Everything says quality before you've even slipped it into the player.

And then the album starts to play. If you haven't heard any GYAOA stuff before, prepare yourself for a heady mixture of swing, jazz, big band, rock, blues, old time song burlesque- it's both ALL and NONE of these at the same time. Gabby herself calls it Circus Swing. It doesn't matter what musical preference you have, you'll love what's on offer- I'm a UFO/Whitesnake Rocker, yet Gabby just blew me away at a gig (that I did NOT want to go to) and her first CD has worn thin I've played it so much. Which reminds me, you must see this band live and buy the first album too!

Anyhow, back to this album. Song wise, there's a definitely progression in the sound- it's much sharper, and yet more complex in it's arrangements (so with more layers in the mix it's difficult to know how this clarity was managed!). In Your Head kicks us off with a rock solid drum beat that wakes you up, and Goldfish Bowl quickly follows with it's lyrical poignancy. In fact, that's another feature that deserves praise- the lyrics are beautiful, quirky, funny and sad all at the same time. And despite the often big band sound, you could swear on some of the songs Gabby is singing just for you. Truly stunning. There isn't a duff song on the album folks.

Best track of all though is SEGMENT. I'm not even going to attempt to describe it, save to say this song builds into a crescendo from a very simple looping chorus that just sends shivers up and down my spine whenever I listen to it. Play it loud!

I know, I know, I'm gushing. I can't help it. In a world of X-Factor drivel, I hid in a world of old music, nothing much made me even half-listen to anything from today's pop world. Then along came Gabby (next album title? lol) and my love of music was fully restored. I've bought and listened to more music since that gig about a year ago than I probably have in the last 10 years. That's what Gabby Young did.

Let her do it for you too. Buy this album.
on 7 June 2013
At the How the Lights Gets In Festival in Hay-On-Wye I was looking for a band to go see - hearing the sound of a fiddle being tuned I ducked into the performance tent and that was my introduction to the wonderful world of Gabby Young.

Her live performance was extrodinary, during the introductions she comes across as a friendly, lovable and a little clumsy but when she sings it's like a complete transformation as she suddenly uses one of the most incrediable vocal ranges I've ever heard to become a conduit of assured but passionate music.

This albulm contains many of the songs that she sung, and while it can't compare to seeing here live (what can) it's still an excellent collection of brilliant fused and crafted tunes.
on 31 May 2014
The music of her new cd is as new as the original packaging, easy to undo , difficult to put together again....So one has to listen several times to discover all the sounds OF THE "CIRCUS SWING" and the poetry of the Tales. Also On foot in front of the other is not a walk but a run and we all call out for MORE.....
on 8 January 2014
This is a great work and I absolutely love it! Make sure you get a copy as soon as possible. I saw the band live and they are even better, not to be missed.
on 3 August 2015
Only just discovered this band and they are absolutely brilliant. Gabby has a fantastic voice and I not only bought this album, but also their latest one ( One Foot In Front of the Other) which is equally impressive. Wish they would bring out a DVD as I understand they are great live.
on 28 January 2015
Haven't listened to this for a while, but it's great. Reminded me to play it again.....!
on 1 February 2016
i love it. especially my new vinyl copy!
on 25 July 2015
Prefer the more recent album.
on 20 October 2015