1,441 Reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Product worked but failed within 4 months usage
Published 8 months ago by JohnBeatle

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and simple to use, 30 Jun 2012
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Seagate STBV2000200 2TB Expansion USB 3.0 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive - Black (Personal Computers)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For my purposes, this drive is excellent: extremely simple to operate, huge memory capacity and relatively compact and unobtrusive. No doubt there will soon be reviews here which deal expertly with specifications and comparisons. I am just an ordinary computer user who cannot advise on all that, but I hope this review will be helpful to other non-techies who, like me, want reliable and easy-to-use extra memory.

The drive is about the size of a 400-page small-format paperback book. It is quite heavy (about 1kg all told) but would be easy to transport if you needed to. It sits flat and needs to be plugged into the mains. The supplied connecting lead to your computer's USB port is about 1 metre long, so you have some flexibility about where to put it. When switched on it is, to my ears anyway, silent (hurrah!) and has a discreet blue LED to indicate that it is working. In short, it is the compact, unobtrusive drive I was hoping for.

In use it is exceptionally simple. I plugged it into my slightly elderly Windows XP laptop and, as promised, it was automatically recognised by Windows and was ready to use within a few seconds. If you like, you can turn it off at the mains at any time it's not actively in use so it doesn't have to run all the time, and it only takes a couple of seconds to wake up when switched on again. You add files by simply dragging-and-dropping and the transfer speed seems very quick to me (my initial backup of my entire "My Documents" folder, about 14GB, took well under half an hour). Files (like music or photos) run from the drive just as if they were on your internal hard drive and it is easy to copy or move files between the drive and an mp3 player or memory stick. It really is like having a huge internal hard drive.

I am rather nervous about computer technology and have been dithering over whether to get an external drive so that I can convert more of my music collection to digital format. I am thrilled to have received this one. It is small and unobtrusive and does exactly what I want extremely simply. I can recommend it very warmly to the technologically timid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mac time machine backup, 2 Dec 2012
Purchased this hard drive to use as a 'time machine' backup for my iMac; very good for the price. Worked straight out of the box. The Mac reformatted it, but that didn't cause any problems and easy enough to do if you follow the onscreen prompts. Generally runs quietly. Future-proof as it has USB 3.0. Overall very pleased.

1.0 out of 5 stars Product worked but failed within 4 months usage, 6 Nov 2013
I purchased this product in July 2013, delivery was prompt and the drive worked really well for the best part of 4 months. I primarily used this product as a add storage drive for my DD-WRT router. Last week, I tried to access a file over my network and got no response. I checked the drive - dead no LED... powered the drive down/up still dead.. Being an electronics design engineer, I got my fluke volt meter out and measured the voltage from the AC to 12V DC adapter. This measured OK at 12Volts... so definitely, something within the hardware was dead and not the AC mains adapter...

Although the product was technically still under warranty, I could have just sent it back for a replacement. I guess because this drive held all my personal photos and files, I didn't want the drive to leave my house! I felt competent enough to go fault find the PCB board myself.

Found the fault in no time - There is a component on the SATA to USB board (ASM 1053) that converts the 12V DC to 5VDC.
(Techie term for this is a DCtoDC convertor or switcher). This IC or a component around it had failed as there was no 5Volts present on the board.

Dropped Seagate an email telling them that their board had failed. They replied to basically say I had voided my warranty as I attempted to repair it myself . OK fair enough I did... and I deserve to be punished! .but I also asked them whether they could just sell me a replacement board..they said no...

For a company that big, I would have thought their after sales would be a bit more helpful - Note - I even offered to PAY for a replacement board!! I am sure I am not the first customer to which this has happened.

Anyway to cut a long story short, I purchased a Inateck USB3.0 docking station from Amazon and was able to recover all my data from the drive no problem.

To conclude, the STBV2000200 2TB works, but if you were to suffer a hardware failure your options are to return the drive if still under warranty or do what I did and buy a third party docking station.

I am certainly put off purchasing a Seagate product again...Customer service not good in this instance.

Hope my review was helpful

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid external HDD - easy to set up and use, 26 Jun 2012
Spudola "Al" (Midlands (UK)) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The HDD comes in a machined metal case that is impressively made with a solid feel to it that does give you confidence that the case will withstand most drops and knocks that might occur with external HDD's

In the box is the HDD itself which is approximately 18cm(l) x 12cm(w) x 3.8cm(d) which is barely much bigger than most 3.5" HDDs. Also in the box is the USB 3.0 cable which has a USB (A) type connector on one end and USB 3.0 micro type at the other.
On the underside are the heat ventilation holes along with 4 plastic feet which provide both grip and clearance for the internal heat to be dissipated. Speaking of which there appears to be an internal fan to cool the HDD as when you pick it up there is a detectable air flow from the bottom.

The power adaptor is a plug (smartphone style) adaptor which is light and small enough along with the size of the HDD means that the HDD is portable enough to be carried around if you need to. One of the things I like about this plug is it comes with both the EU 2pin and UK 3 pin adaptors that simply slide and click into the main power adaptor.

Set up of the HDD is very simple and quick with no external or special drivers, just plug in the power adaptor, then connect the HDD to the PC, Windows XP and 7 both detect the HDD and automatically install the drivers after which the drive can be viewed and used in the usual windows ways.

Already installed on the HDD is a little tool that allows you to register your HDD which automatically detects the HDD's model number and serial number making registering such a doddle that its silly not to do it.

In my use so far I have backed up 112GB of data from one of my PC's which even over USB 2.0 took barely over 1.5hrs which for the size of data transferred I feel is pretty impressive. As I type this review I am doing a back up using windows 7 to the external HDD on another PC. Windows 7 had no problem to detect and select the external HDD as the back up drive.

The HDD is silent, and I mean silent, unless of course you place your ear right next to it. But if like me you have it on the desk next to you it will cause no disturbance, the HDD inside my laptop and on the Sky box create far more noise.
Heat wise so far I've used the HDD for over 1.5 hours continuous and the drive was just warm on top but otherwise the metal case was easily comfortable to hold.

My only final thing is that the information at the top of this page says this is for a 1.0TB capacity, however the one I was sent is 3.0TB which I'm more than happy with as its more than I expected.

So in short, good, speedy, quiet, solidly built, light, portable external HDD.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very bad!, 5 Mar 2014
Spend half day to transfer files from my old external hard drive to Seagate STBV4000200 Expansion 4TB USB 3.0 and next day that drive out of work and get completely dead! No recommended to anyone!

2.0 out of 5 stars Issues When Using As A PVR!, 25 Mar 2013
I bought this because i needed a new hard drive recorder to put under the television, i connect it via USB to the TV and can record HD or SD programs onto it, the capacity is about 1.8TB, this is normal so do not expect a full 2TB of space.

I note some people are having issues with this drive, my problems are different, the drive is very good and reliable but i am having problems using it as a PVR under the TV, please note that as with all hard drives of this type you do need to plug it into the mains, i don't have an issue with that, i have it resting on an Argos paper promotional leaflet, one with several pages in it and its quiet enough in operation, if you simply put the drive on a typical glass cabinet it resonates and becomes noisy, it's an easy fix to make it quiet though and putting something under it works.

At such a cheap price i would consider it a perfect hard drive recorder for sitting under the TV but there is a major problem, the Seagate records perfectly when you first set it up but after you start up the computer or television from standby it is not recognized as being connected to both and refuses to switch back on until i remove the power cable from the back of the drive and re-insert it, pulling the plug out doesn't work, i actually have to remove the cable from the hard drive and re-insert it, my old Western Digital can be used as a PVR and switches on and off when needed, this new Seagate does not, i am investigating the reasons why and may report back if i find out, in the meantime i have downgraded the stars i originally gave the product, it's just getting it to switch on that is the issue, this problem happens with a laptop as well as the television thus i give it 2 stars, it cannot be used for the purpose i bought it for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent external USB3 drive, 27 Oct 2012
This is an excellent external USB 3 or USB 2 drive. Just plug it in and within a couple of minutes it's ready to use - no set-up required. With USB 3 it's fast and performs well. Just does the job! Note that the bottom can get quite warm so care is needed as to where it's placed.

NOTE don't be tempted by the 3TB version unless you have read and understood Microsoft's article KB2510009 which deals with issues and incompatibilities regarding drives with a capacity above 2TB.

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful if you're running Windows 7 and want to use this as a back-up drive, 5 Mar 2014
In layman's terms: this drive is too big for Windows 7's standard back-up program (as of Feb 2014). So if you're buying it to make backups for a Windows 7 machine you might want to think again. [It works fine with Windows 8 though]

More technical info: this is a modern disk drive -- a "4K native" drive. This means it has 4096 bytes per sector (and 4096 bytes per physical sector). Unfortunately Windows 7 was not designed with such big sectors in mind, and the standard Windows 7 back-up program will fail if you try and create a system image. This issue cannot be fixed by reformatting, as far as I know (and I've tried) -- the problem is more fundamental than that (there are some super-fancy reformatting suggestions available via googling but these cause other problems (for example your 4TB drive magically becomes a 2TB drive in the process, so you've lost half your storage already)). One possible fix is to use seagate's own back-up program, "Seagate DiscWizard", which is what I'm reluctantly doing. Another fix is to wait until Microsoft issue a fix (they know how to work with such drives because Windows 8 back-up works fine with them), but they have known about this issue for years and nothing is forthcoming, which is very disappointing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good drive but limited by Windows, 16 Mar 2014
E. Chan "Shopper" (London) - See all my reviews
The drive works fine from the box. However, I bought the 3TB Hard Drive.
If you wish to use the full 3TB you need to partition the disk to use GPT (default is MBR) before you format it, otherwise you will only be able to access 2TBs.
This is a limitation of Windows and not the Seagate Hard Drive.
Also as mentioned by others you will not be able to backup a disk Image using Windows Backup and Restore (another limitation of Windows OS),

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality hard drive, 19 July 2012
Mr. Christopher Lancaster "clanca1234" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I bought this hard drive with the specific aim of recording TV to it from my Freeview box, rather than for PC storage. The drive box itself is sturdy and not too large, and the drive has the advantage of being very quiet. Despite being USB 3.0 rather than the USB 2.0 supported by my Freeview box, connection was straight forward, and data transfer very quick. A good disk drive, and highly recommended.