1,342 Reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Product worked but failed within 4 months usage
Published 16 months ago by JohnBeatle

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and simple to use, 30 Jun. 2012
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Seagate Expansion 2TB USB 3.0 desktop 3.5 inch external hard drive (Personal Computers)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For my purposes, this drive is excellent: extremely simple to operate, huge memory capacity and relatively compact and unobtrusive. No doubt there will soon be reviews here which deal expertly with specifications and comparisons. I am just an ordinary computer user who cannot advise on all that, but I hope this review will be helpful to other non-techies who, like me, want reliable and easy-to-use extra memory.

The drive is about the size of a 400-page small-format paperback book. It is quite heavy (about 1kg all told) but would be easy to transport if you needed to. It sits flat and needs to be plugged into the mains. The supplied connecting lead to your computer's USB port is about 1 metre long, so you have some flexibility about where to put it. When switched on it is, to my ears anyway, silent (hurrah!) and has a discreet blue LED to indicate that it is working. In short, it is the compact, unobtrusive drive I was hoping for.

In use it is exceptionally simple. I plugged it into my slightly elderly Windows XP laptop and, as promised, it was automatically recognised by Windows and was ready to use within a few seconds. If you like, you can turn it off at the mains at any time it's not actively in use so it doesn't have to run all the time, and it only takes a couple of seconds to wake up when switched on again. You add files by simply dragging-and-dropping and the transfer speed seems very quick to me (my initial backup of my entire "My Documents" folder, about 14GB, took well under half an hour). Files (like music or photos) run from the drive just as if they were on your internal hard drive and it is easy to copy or move files between the drive and an mp3 player or memory stick. It really is like having a huge internal hard drive.

I am rather nervous about computer technology and have been dithering over whether to get an external drive so that I can convert more of my music collection to digital format. I am thrilled to have received this one. It is small and unobtrusive and does exactly what I want extremely simply. I can recommend it very warmly to the technologically timid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mac time machine backup, 2 Dec. 2012
Purchased this hard drive to use as a 'time machine' backup for my iMac; very good for the price. Worked straight out of the box. The Mac reformatted it, but that didn't cause any problems and easy enough to do if you follow the onscreen prompts. Generally runs quietly. Future-proof as it has USB 3.0. Overall very pleased.

1.0 out of 5 stars Product worked but failed within 4 months usage, 6 Nov. 2013
I purchased this product in July 2013, delivery was prompt and the drive worked really well for the best part of 4 months. I primarily used this product as a add storage drive for my DD-WRT router. Last week, I tried to access a file over my network and got no response. I checked the drive - dead no LED... powered the drive down/up still dead.. Being an electronics design engineer, I got my fluke volt meter out and measured the voltage from the AC to 12V DC adapter. This measured OK at 12Volts... so definitely, something within the hardware was dead and not the AC mains adapter...

Although the product was technically still under warranty, I could have just sent it back for a replacement. I guess because this drive held all my personal photos and files, I didn't want the drive to leave my house! I felt competent enough to go fault find the PCB board myself.

Found the fault in no time - There is a component on the SATA to USB board (ASM 1053) that converts the 12V DC to 5VDC.
(Techie term for this is a DCtoDC convertor or switcher). This IC or a component around it had failed as there was no 5Volts present on the board.

Dropped Seagate an email telling them that their board had failed. They replied to basically say I had voided my warranty as I attempted to repair it myself . OK fair enough I did... and I deserve to be punished! .but I also asked them whether they could just sell me a replacement board..they said no...

For a company that big, I would have thought their after sales would be a bit more helpful - Note - I even offered to PAY for a replacement board!! I am sure I am not the first customer to which this has happened.

Anyway to cut a long story short, I purchased a Inateck USB3.0 docking station from Amazon and was able to recover all my data from the drive no problem.

To conclude, the STBV2000200 2TB works, but if you were to suffer a hardware failure your options are to return the drive if still under warranty or do what I did and buy a third party docking station.

I am certainly put off purchasing a Seagate product again...Customer service not good in this instance.

Hope my review was helpful

4.0 out of 5 stars Best external hard-drive I've ever had - and there's been a few!!, 25 Jan. 2014
Having had a plethora of WD drives that have eventually failed or become so temperamental that they couldn't be trusted, convinced each time that I was unlucky, I eventually saw sense and strayed away from WD as a 'good quality' manufacturer - it was the best decision I've ever made. When you computer fails it is damn annoying; however, when you hard drive fails it's heartbreaking if you haven't thought to double backup....and here's a tip, buying an external hard drive as a backup, without storing your valuable files on two devices, isn't a backup at all - take it from my hard-learned experience!

I now have 2 of these drives, one 3TB and one 2TB, both are incredibly reliable, relatively quiet and vibration-free and reasonably small (a thick paperback size - not exactly portable however). Transfer rates across USB3.0 are incredible, with ~100MB/s from PC to ExtHDD and an amazing 160MB/s from ExtHDD to ExtHDD (via the PC) - backing up the entire 1.8TB contents of the 3TB drive onto the new 2TB drive took less than an evening left to itself. The ExtHDD has only unmounted itself (something other ExtHDDs do with excruciating frequency for some inexplicable reason) once during the workout that it has had since arriving with me 2 days ago.

Overall, seriously impressed with these drives...if they get anywhere near the reliability of my Buffalo NAS then I'll be seriously impressed - I am, once again, reassured that my files are safe and sound...and ~£60 for 2TB is a small price to pay for that peace of mind!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disconnects itself, 23 Jan. 2014
As has been mentioned in several of the 1 star reviews, the hard drive regularly disconnects and then reconnects itself for no apparent reason; meaning that if you are transferring data, you'll end up with missing files or parts of files. When I attempted to transfer the contents of my previous WD 1tb hard drive to this one, I had 3 attempts, the hard drive must have disconnected itself more than 40 times during the 6 hour period meaning that by the end of the transfer, 25 files were missing. I attempted downloading SeaTools and setting 'sleep time' to never, I also made sure my own settings were correct but as my current WD hard drive has never had any of these issues, I doubt it could be that. There are multiple posts on Seagates own forums relating to this issue, with Seagate apparently having no fix for it. I have been forced to return it to Amazon and order the larger version of my current WD.

1.0 out of 5 stars Questionable Quality, 26 May 2014
This drive was on offer, I usually buy WD products but thought at the price it was worth a try. I wish I’d of spent the extra £20 to be honest. This drive worked for 12 hours, long enough for me to transfer 800 GB of data off my laptop, the next time I attempted to use the drive it showed up as malfunctioning (Code 46 Error). Research showed that faults with these drives are quite common; I followed online advice downloading numerous Seagate utility tools all of which failed to rectify the problem. I’m working overseas so to minimise the amount of stuff I take back I threw the packaging once confirming the drive worked. My mistake so sending this back to Amazon is a no go.

I then attempted to use the online fault reporting / Warranty section of the Seagate website. While attempting to input my details on the first page, the website kept refreshing and defaulting to me being located in the USA, I’m not from the USA or working there. This may be a browser issue and nothing to do with Seagate however after three hours of trying the experience has left me somewhat annoyed.

I’ve bought and used numerous drives. This is the first drive I’ve owned that has failed within the first year (well 12 hours in this case). Where I accept that sending this back to Seagate to be fixed under Warranty will cost me little in postage and packing, I’ve now had three weeks, plus the time it will take to activate the warranty and fix the drive, where I have been unable to use the product. Not sure buying a cheaper hard drive was worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Another faulty power input, 6 Dec. 2013
I bought one of these drives at the start of the year and was happy enough with it to buy a second.
Recently the older one was not always powering up when I connected it up. Before I could back it up it stopped altogether. The power adaptor was not faulty so I suspected that the fault lay in the connections to the HDD within the Expansion Drive Case, as seems to be the experience of others here.
I contacted Seagate Customer Service telling them this and this was the reply:
"I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. If the hard drive is not even powering up, there is no way to test it. At this time, you will need to either replace the hard drive, or contact data recovery if you want to try and get you data back. Please keep in mind data recovery is not a free service."

Well of course there is a way to test it - you take the HDD out of the case!!!!
After watching a YouTube video showing how this can be done in about 10 minutes using old credit cards, I found it was relatively easy. I then connected the HDD to my PC using the SATA connectors directly and it was working fine. So I was right that the fault lay with the expansion case power/USB connectors and there is nothing wrong with the HDD.
That 10 minutes spent extracting the HDD seems to have saved me up to a £1000 in data recovery charges!
I will now use the HDD as an extra one in a PC and will make sure I back it up regularly.
I checked to see if the serial number on the bare drive would have a warranty, but the answer is that it is an OE item not covered by Seagate, and I need to contact the provider of the package it was in, which of course is Seagate.....
The lack of warranty provision on the bare drive is annoying and totally illogical.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good drive but limited by Windows, 16 Mar. 2014
The drive works fine from the box. However, I bought the 3TB Hard Drive.
If you wish to use the full 3TB you need to partition the disk to use GPT (default is MBR) before you format it, otherwise you will only be able to access 2TBs.
This is a limitation of Windows and not the Seagate Hard Drive.
Also as mentioned by others you will not be able to backup a disk Image using Windows Backup and Restore (another limitation of Windows OS),

1.0 out of 5 stars Seagate fail, 27 Feb. 2014
I got this drive in July 2013, and it has sat on my desk plugged into the computer since then. It has never been dropped, knocked or reformatted. The drive failed to be recognised by my machine in February 2014 and all data is lost. I have had it looked at by a recovery firm and the problem appears to be a hardware fault. Seagate have offered to look at it to see what can be done but this is not covered by the warranty – they want to charge me over £400 to do a 'clean room' recovery. Please keep my experience in mind if you are considering this drive – sure it's cheap, but what is your data worth to you? Can you afford to lose it all? The HD lasted a little over six months, which is extremely poor.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute tosh !!, 18 May 2014
I bought this because all my hard drives were full and this looked really good . When it arrived i plugged it into my computer and put around 500gigs of music on it (i'm a dj) and went to bed . The next day when i got home from work i checked to see if it was all sorted and noticed that the hard drive wasn't on my computer , so i tried a load of things and got my mate to have a look as well but it was completely dead , no blue light nothing . So all in all it was working for about 12 hours , brilliant , also i've lost around 2 years of music .