2,568 Reviews
 (1,741)

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and simple to use
Published on 30 Jun 2012 by Sid Nuncius

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your cash
I have owned this drive for 13 months (yep, just out of warranty) it hasn't completely failed, but, it is unusable - certainly as an external drive at least. Maybe I could remove the caddy and install it internally, but that's not what I bought it for.

Published 9 months ago by JonMac

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and simple to use, 30 Jun 2012
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Seagate STBV2000200 Expansion 2TB USB 3.0 desktop 3.5 inch external hard drive - Black (Personal Computers)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For my purposes, this drive is excellent: extremely simple to operate, huge memory capacity and relatively compact and unobtrusive. No doubt there will soon be reviews here which deal expertly with specifications and comparisons. I am just an ordinary computer user who cannot advise on all that, but I hope this review will be helpful to other non-techies who, like me, want reliable and easy-to-use extra memory.

The drive is about the size of a 400-page small-format paperback book. It is quite heavy (about 1kg all told) but would be easy to transport if you needed to. It sits flat and needs to be plugged into the mains. The supplied connecting lead to your computer's USB port is about 1 metre long, so you have some flexibility about where to put it. When switched on it is, to my ears anyway, silent (hurrah!) and has a discreet blue LED to indicate that it is working. In short, it is the compact, unobtrusive drive I was hoping for.

In use it is exceptionally simple. I plugged it into my slightly elderly Windows XP laptop and, as promised, it was automatically recognised by Windows and was ready to use within a few seconds. If you like, you can turn it off at the mains at any time it's not actively in use so it doesn't have to run all the time, and it only takes a couple of seconds to wake up when switched on again. You add files by simply dragging-and-dropping and the transfer speed seems very quick to me (my initial backup of my entire "My Documents" folder, about 14GB, took well under half an hour). Files (like music or photos) run from the drive just as if they were on your internal hard drive and it is easy to copy or move files between the drive and an mp3 player or memory stick. It really is like having a huge internal hard drive.

I am rather nervous about computer technology and have been dithering over whether to get an external drive so that I can convert more of my music collection to digital format. I am thrilled to have received this one. It is small and unobtrusive and does exactly what I want extremely simply. I can recommend it very warmly to the technologically timid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mac Users please read, 6 Jan 2014
Paul Clegg "Paul Clegg" (Wells, Somerset) - See all my reviews
This hard drive is not formatted for a Mac but takes less than 30 seconds to achieve this. When I was looking for a Mac formatted portable hard drive to act as a Time Machine for my MacBook Pro I noticed that they cost much more than this one. Seagate is famous for its Hard Drives and at £30 less than a Mac equivalent I decided to order. Feels good, tactile and very quiet but out of the box your Mac will not read it.

You need to follow this link [...] which explains exactly how to format it for the Mac.

How to Erase an internal or external drive that is 500 GB or larger and has already been setup with NTFS

Open the Disk Utility.
Select the drive.
Click Partition.
Under Volume Scheme, choose 1 Partition.
Choose Options.
Choose Apple Partition Map.
Click OK.
Click Apply.
Click the Partition button.
The drive will Erase. When it completes, the drive will mount on the Desktop.

Takes less than 30 seconds. Job done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, compact and reliable, 17 July 2012
Kevin O'Keefe (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Seagate's own product description (above) gives an accurate, no-exaggeration summary of this hard drive and I really can't take any issue at all with the claims they make for it. This is an attractive, pocket-sized, silent and unobtrusive drive that needs no drivers etc and simply works efficiently and without external power (it is powered by the supplied USB cable). In fact it is so discrete in operation the only clue you have it's 'on' is the glow of the LED on the front of the unit. I've heard many times the claim 'it works straight out of the box' but in this case it is perfectly true. Also it's worth noting that it is also USB 3 compatible (but will work with 1 and 2 also) so it is future-proofed too. Finally Seagate are a brand to be trusted in data-storage products so there is peace of mind there also. A quality product at a fair price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mac time machine backup, 2 Dec 2012
Purchased this hard drive to use as a 'time machine' backup for my iMac; very good for the price. Worked straight out of the box. The Mac reformatted it, but that didn't cause any problems and easy enough to do if you follow the onscreen prompts. Generally runs quietly. Future-proof as it has USB 3.0. Overall very pleased.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your cash, 20 Feb 2014

The connection from the cable into the back of the unit is pathetic to say the least, there is loads of play back and fore in the socket and movement on the wooden floor in my home office has the warning coming up on PC telling me that the disk needs formatted. The connection is between the back of the desk and the wall so its never moved since first connection over a year ago

I bought an HGST Touro Pro to replace this drive, and the connection is very solid with no movement, I just wish I had bought it 13 months ago instead.

If you have already bought it, check the connection between the cable and unit is secure and if you have any doubt return it before you plug it on, and spend your hard earned on one that works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right, 1 May 2013
used for Time Machine back up for my mac, so much smaller than my last external drive I purchased, worked great.

1.0 out of 5 stars Product worked but failed within 4 months usage, 6 Nov 2013
I purchased this product in July 2013, delivery was prompt and the drive worked really well for the best part of 4 months. I primarily used this product as a add storage drive for my DD-WRT router. Last week, I tried to access a file over my network and got no response. I checked the drive - dead no LED... powered the drive down/up still dead.. Being an electronics design engineer, I got my fluke volt meter out and measured the voltage from the AC to 12V DC adapter. This measured OK at 12Volts... so definitely, something within the hardware was dead and not the AC mains adapter...

Although the product was technically still under warranty, I could have just sent it back for a replacement. I guess because this drive held all my personal photos and files, I didn't want the drive to leave my house! I felt competent enough to go fault find the PCB board myself.

Found the fault in no time - There is a component on the SATA to USB board (ASM 1053) that converts the 12V DC to 5VDC.
(Techie term for this is a DCtoDC convertor or switcher). This IC or a component around it had failed as there was no 5Volts present on the board.

Dropped Seagate an email telling them that their board had failed. They replied to basically say I had voided my warranty as I attempted to repair it myself . OK fair enough I did... and I deserve to be punished! .but I also asked them whether they could just sell me a replacement board..they said no...

For a company that big, I would have thought their after sales would be a bit more helpful - Note - I even offered to PAY for a replacement board!! I am sure I am not the first customer to which this has happened.

Anyway to cut a long story short, I purchased a Inateck USB3.0 docking station from Amazon and was able to recover all my data from the drive no problem.

To conclude, the STBV2000200 2TB works, but if you were to suffer a hardware failure your options are to return the drive if still under warranty or do what I did and buy a third party docking station.

I am certainly put off purchasing a Seagate product again...Customer service not good in this instance.

Hope my review was helpful

1.0 out of 5 stars Questionable Quality, 26 May 2014
This drive was on offer, I usually buy WD products but thought at the price it was worth a try. I wish I’d of spent the extra £20 to be honest. This drive worked for 12 hours, long enough for me to transfer 800 GB of data off my laptop, the next time I attempted to use the drive it showed up as malfunctioning (Code 46 Error). Research showed that faults with these drives are quite common; I followed online advice downloading numerous Seagate utility tools all of which failed to rectify the problem. I’m working overseas so to minimise the amount of stuff I take back I threw the packaging once confirming the drive worked. My mistake so sending this back to Amazon is a no go.

I then attempted to use the online fault reporting / Warranty section of the Seagate website. While attempting to input my details on the first page, the website kept refreshing and defaulting to me being located in the USA, I’m not from the USA or working there. This may be a browser issue and nothing to do with Seagate however after three hours of trying the experience has left me somewhat annoyed.

I’ve bought and used numerous drives. This is the first drive I’ve owned that has failed within the first year (well 12 hours in this case). Where I accept that sending this back to Seagate to be fixed under Warranty will cost me little in postage and packing, I’ve now had three weeks, plus the time it will take to activate the warranty and fix the drive, where I have been unable to use the product. Not sure buying a cheaper hard drive was worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Another faulty power input, 6 Dec 2013
I bought one of these drives at the start of the year and was happy enough with it to buy a second.
Recently the older one was not always powering up when I connected it up. Before I could back it up it stopped altogether. The power adaptor was not faulty so I suspected that the fault lay in the connections to the HDD within the Expansion Drive Case, as seems to be the experience of others here.
I contacted Seagate Customer Service telling them this and this was the reply:
"I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. If the hard drive is not even powering up, there is no way to test it. At this time, you will need to either replace the hard drive, or contact data recovery if you want to try and get you data back. Please keep in mind data recovery is not a free service."

Well of course there is a way to test it - you take the HDD out of the case!!!!
After watching a YouTube video showing how this can be done in about 10 minutes using old credit cards, I found it was relatively easy. I then connected the HDD to my PC using the SATA connectors directly and it was working fine. So I was right that the fault lay with the expansion case power/USB connectors and there is nothing wrong with the HDD.
That 10 minutes spent extracting the HDD seems to have saved me up to a £1000 in data recovery charges!
I will now use the HDD as an extra one in a PC and will make sure I back it up regularly.
I checked to see if the serial number on the bare drive would have a warranty, but the answer is that it is an OE item not covered by Seagate, and I need to contact the provider of the package it was in, which of course is Seagate.....
The lack of warranty provision on the bare drive is annoying and totally illogical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super fast, Super efficient, 14 Aug 2012
I was surprised at the speed of this drive. It works straight out of the box, and is lightning fast. I get speeds of about 150 megabytes per second via USB 3.0 on average, and I've seen it go as fast as 200. So I copy entire mp3 albums in about a second. It's an attractive, portable drive which was much smaller than I expected. If you're looking for a fast, portable, simple drive, get this one.