4.0 out of 5 stars It could never fully re-create the magic
Like many others, I was there in July 1988, up at the front barrier, with my mate Barry, having waited hours to see Michael Jackson at the peak of his career. Our expectations were incredibly high, and the show exceeded them all. Having noticed all the cameras at the show, I have waited 24 years to see a film release of this piece of magic.

This DVD comes in a...
Published on 21 Sep 2012 by bob turnip

3.0 out of 5 stars What a shame :(
This release is a real shame. It should of been so much better!! At his ultimate peak - his performance can't be faulted & for what you can see it's purely amazing!! That being said what you can't see is a whole lot - VHS quality transfered to DVD as apparently a better source could not be found. The picture is smeared in DNR and at times I found it unbearable to...
Published on 18 Sep 2012 by Mijacmad

4.0 out of 5 stars It could never fully re-create the magic, 21 Sep 2012
This review is from: Michael Jackson: Live At Wembley [DVD] [2012] [NTSC] (DVD)

This DVD comes in a digipack which is somewhere between CD and standard DVd casing in size. It contains a nice little booklet with the 1988 tour dates. The video quality is better than some have suggested - it is clear enough, and not as rough as a VHS tape would be on my modern LCD screen. But it's not brilliant either. The colours bleed and the whole thing is a lacks the sharpness we are accustomed to these days. Nevertheless, it is easily watchable. Don't expect 5.1 dolby surround either - the sound is rather poor, but again, quite acceptible.

My biggest disappointment is in the detail that is lost in the lighting and atmosphere. The show was so bright and colourful and explosive. For example, the opening of the show was a long rumble of smoke and bass and blinding lights which set my rib cage rattling and sent the hot, swaying crowd mad with anticipation. None of that is captured here. I remember the amazing laser/lighting effects during "Human Naure" and at the end of Billie Jean. Such effects might have been dated by today's standards, but I will never know, for they are lost entirely here (The lighting was captured a little better on the Bucharest DVD, taken from a different tour, and with its own faults, but at least you get the idea).

I am so glad this footage exists, although I wonder if Michael himself did not want us seeing these recordings because he was such a perfectionist. He would have preferred the magic of the event to live on in our hearts and memories after the live show, rather than be exposed to the scrutiny and limitations of film. Perhaps this release could never match expectations.

Maybe one day we will see a restored Blu-ray (or even cinema) release of these shows in all their glory. Even then, perhaps that magic could never be re-created. Whatever the case, this is the best we will get for now.

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY AMAZING !!!, 21 Sep 2012
S. Visnevskis "mjj_sergej" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Michael Jackson: Live At Wembley [DVD] [2012] [NTSC] (DVD)
The Best Performer EVER !!!
Nobody performing like that anymore, he's got a TRUE talent!
Mind blowing performaces, vocal, dance, soo much in tune and professional, absolutely fantastic, would pay any money to see it LIVE !!!!!!

I LOVE YOU MICHAEL !

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome vocals, 18 Sep 2012
Andy W (Northampton United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Michael Jackson: Live At Wembley [DVD] [2012] [NTSC] (DVD)
An amazing reminder of what this guy could do on stage with hardly any special effects and without being surrounded by 20-30 dancers...etc......the vocal performance is stunning and to those that were late comers to the brilliance of Michael Jackson they should watch this as soon as possible......the vocal performances at the end of some of the songs are astonishing.....literally.......breath taking........especially the transition from I'll Be There to Rock With You. This is a wonderful reminder of the mans greatness at his peak. There's not an artist around who could follow this today.
Don't nit pick over video quality. I think it's very impressive considering it's come from a 24 year old VHS tape.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow What A Concert!!!!!!:-), 21 Sep 2012
This review is from: Michael Jackson: Live At Wembley [DVD] [2012] [NTSC] (DVD)
Wow this dvd is absolutely amazing,I was fortunate to see Michael in concert on both his Dangerous and History tour's but unfortunately I was too young to attend his Bad tour(so my parent's said at the time:-(. So therefore have never seen a bad concert all the way through before, even though I have been a fan for 26years I never managed to get a copy that was actually watchable. I do not understand why some people are giving this a bad review because of apparently the picture quality, but all I can say is there is no problem with the picture, ok so it isn't HD but what do you expect for a concert that was recorded back in 1988. I for one am really glad that this was finally released, all Michael Jackson fan's need to own this one, as it is up there with the Dangerous Bucharest and History Munich Concerts, I just hope that they release more MJ live dvd's over the next few years now.

So to sum up please do not be put off by those moaning about picture quality, just buy it, sit back and enjoy the magic of Michael, he was the greatest entertainer ever, he sang live with amazing vocals, danced with such energy, and well just completely blew me away. I will never get bored of watching MJ live I just find him soooo amazing and my eyes are completely transfixed. None of today's artists will ever compare to what this man could do.
Any music fan's, MJ fans or anyone wanting to watch an excellent concert buy it you won't be disappointed at all. 10 out of 10 from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!, 7 Jan 2013
This review is from: Michael Jackson: Live At Wembley [DVD] [2012] [NTSC] (DVD)
Watching this now and all I can say is wow. What a concert! I went to the Aintree concert later in the year and this really throws me back to that time! You fully immerse yourself in the music, just how a concert should be!

Some people complaining about quality but come on guys this was filmed in 1988! But for me more than watchable!

King of pop? Absolutely!

5.0 out of 5 stars The King of Pop?! .... You Bet!!!, 19 Sep 2012
Sam Davidson (Plymouth, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Michael Jackson: Live At Wembley [DVD] [2012] [NTSC] (DVD)
Michael Jackson's legendary July 16, 1988 concert at Wembley Stadium. The concert is not a compilation of performances, but rather one complete show, exactly as Michael performed it for Prince Charles, Princess Diana and the 72,000 fans who were in the audience for that nights sold out show.

No-one can do what he did, NO-ONE! That man is not of this World, he moves like liquid ... pure magic! The consummate showman. I knew he was good, but not THIS good!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars about time...., 16 Sep 2012
John Farrell "tyne and wear" (gateshead) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Michael Jackson: Live At Wembley [DVD] [2012] [NTSC] (DVD)
this is the best michael jackson tour ever.he sang all songs live and put his heart and soul into it..rather than lip syncing like nearly all the history tour anda few songs from dangerous tour...the footage i have seen so far doesnt look the best i only hope tey have done it justice.they could have released the japan bad tour wich was recorded for japan tv.also his brunei concert was class wich i have on dvd the dangerous concert was released on dvd wich said it was from romania but wasnt as it was taken from lots of different shows and put togeter for release i only hope this bad 25 release isnt just a shoddy dvd to make more cash from him....it cant be that good quality being taken from a vhs from 25 years ago......we shall see

5.0 out of 5 stars Michael Magic!!, 9 Aug 2012
This review is from: Michael Jackson: Live At Wembley [DVD] [2012] [NTSC] (DVD)
Michael Jackson at the peak of his performing career, the whole unedited concert with restored visuals from Lowry digital. I'm glad this is finally being released in all it's glory.

Tracklisting via michaeljackson.com:

1. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
2. This Place Hotel
8. Human Nature
9. Smooth Criminal
10. Dirty Diana
11. Thriller
12. Bad Groove (the Band Jam section)
13. Working Day And Night
14. Beat It
15. Billie Jean
16. Bad
17. Man In The Mirror (Encore)

Bonus Tracks Include:
1. The Way You Make Me Feel (Performed at Wembley the previous night, July 15, 1988)
2. I Just Can't Stop Loving You/Bad (Performed at Yokohama Stadium, September, 1987)

Runtime: 135 minutes via Amazon.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Michael Jackson-The BAD World Tour-A Wembley Dream, 25 Feb 2013
This review is from: Michael Jackson: Live At Wembley [DVD] [2012] [NTSC] (DVD)
I am a Michael Jackson fan.I saw him twice on the BAD World tour.Once at Wembley and the final UK show at Aintree Racecourse.The Wembley show I saw was the week after this DVD(i/e 23/7/88).This DVD is very good.The quality is very clear and the sound is good considering it was transferred from VHS.The dancing and special effects have to be seen to be believed.It brought so much memories back for me.I have been waiting for a full concert DVD of the BAD World Tour for ages.This DVD does not disappoint.A less well known song is 'Heartbreak Hotel'.This is second on the song list and is performed really well,setting the tone for the rest of the show.When you see this DVD and consider he performed for over two hours,you can only say what a supreme talent he was.The dancing on the popular songs-Thriller,Billie Jean, Beat It, is just excellent.I can only say this is Michael at the peak of his career.A talent that we will never ever see again.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING PERSONAL FOOTAGE!, 5 Oct 2012
This review is from: Michael Jackson: Live At Wembley [DVD] [2012] [NTSC] (DVD)
This is a treasure! As Michael's fashion designer and good friend, Michael Lee Bush told me, this was footage for Michael himself to watch and fix mistakes and take notes from. It was not meant for the public or the fans, hence the quality. Plus going back to 1988 the video's quality was TOP back then! AMAZING dvd and even more special that it comes straight from Michael's personal collection!!!

Michael Jackson: Live At Wembley [DVD] [2012] [NTSC]