4.0 out of 5 stars Comic book stuff
I haven't read anything by this author before and at first I was unsure what to make of this book. After a while I realised that it was like a novelisation of a comic book, crossed with an episode of the A- Team, crossed with a military novel. If you read it with tongue in cheek and for entertainment only you may well find this, as I did, to be highly enjoyable...
Published 22 months ago by Anne

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disapointing
Published on 8 Feb. 2013 by Graham Newman

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disapointing, 8 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Billed as part of the 'Area 51' series, this book has nothing in common with the previous books and I can only assume that a cynical publisher is trying a marketing technique which is bordering on fraud. I have purchased all the other books in the Area 51 series as paperbacks over a number of years and enjoyed them immensely. I recently bought them all again as Kindle books, and as this seemed to be a follow-up after 'Nosferatu' and 'Legend', I assumed that it would be in the same vein - filling in gaps from the original books and explaining more of the story. Instead it is a completely stand-alone book not (in my opinion) anywhere near as well written with the only mention of Area 51 in passing and looking as though even that small reference had been added just so the Area 51 on the cover wouldn't be a complete lie. I am very disapointed with the writer, publisher and Amazon for allowing this to be marketed in this very deceiving way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comic book stuff, 29 July 2013
Anne (Sheffield, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The Nightstalkers are a mysterious government/military unit who seek out and destroy "fireflies" which are some sort of alien which come through rifts between universes. The Nightstalkers aren't trying to understand them but to kill them. The unit is made up of mysterious soldiers all of whom have extensive experience but who have had their past identities erased - all very "Men in Black". Their commander is a woman but there is no sexual content at all in the book. The members of the unit come to be identifiable characters by the end of the book but it would have been nice to know them a bit better.

This novel has plenty of preposterous but lively action sequences with everything being just a little too larger than life. The story is totally unbelievable but strangely compelling. The writing is fast paced and amusing in places. I am assuming that this is the first in a series - I would enjoy reading some more about the unit.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun book with a slow start, 24 Aug. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Now, a hundred or so pages in, I'm enjoying Nightstalkers. The first forty pages or so took a long time to chew through - nothing really wrong with them, they just didn't grab me. And then a twist appears in the form of a glorified UPS van, and the plot takes off.

This isn't high literature, of course - but then, that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a book that'll entertain me, and once the plot kicks off this does that. The dialogue is clichéd and hackneyed, the characters are from central casting with the occasional twist, and I'm not convinced that the jeopardy (presented as it is along the lines of "these things are bad, stop these things") really weighs as heavily as it should.

But this is essentially an action movie in paperback, and those problems, rather than detracting from the story, simply make it feel familiar. You know the characters, you know the tropes, you know there will be gadgets and code names and secret buttons, and that works to the author's advantage.

It took an awfully long time to get into. But I'm looking forward to seeing how it'll end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheesy, corny, and a lot of fun, 16 Jan. 2013
D. J. Burton (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
1st point: avoid this book if you like your sci-fi serious and well researched
2nd point: avoid this book if you hate cliches and corny one liners and stereotypical characters

Other than those two points, if you want a throwaway sci-fi to read then look no further. It could be a movie because it has so many corny bits, but if you can live with this then it's definitely a lot of fun.

It does get a bit daft in places, and the characters become inconsistent to fit the plot, which is annoying, but at the end of the day this is supposed to be a fun lightweight novel, and it succeeds.

Note that it's not heavy sci-fi - the only futuristic things are "rifts" (portals to another world) and "fireflies" (they possess inanimate and animate objects and control them). There are only a handful of them in the book and the plot follows the fight against a portal and a few fireflies. The rest is run of the mill military action.

Probably a 3 1/2 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Loads of fun!, 20 Feb. 2013
Mr. Gareth I. Davies "giddig" (Dudley, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really enjoyed this military/sc-fi adventure. I had not read any of the other books in this series but that in no way stopped this being loads of fun. Luckily, there's a new team member in this story so you are kind of along with him for the (conventional third person perspective) ride of being introduced to the Area 51 world/universe of rifts, firefly manifestations and scrambling to deal with each as they occur. I really liked the idea of needing a squad of special forces types that need to be on permanent stand by for the next bit of mischief science and curiosity leads the world into. It all felt a bit StarGate influenced to me with it's military terms, call signs and bad ass characters mixed with sci-fi-blow-stuff-to-pieces moments. It's worth noting though that I am no major military fiction fan but the use of army terms and acronyms was in no way overwhelming. I would happily read more from this series and author. My only real grumble about this is how easily the covert team of characters accept the (quite annoying back flipping everywhere) teenager and her local knowledge. In addtion for a covert team they seem quite keen to use some very noisy and heavy duty equipment and tactics. A couple of times it seemed they did things just for the sake of the author being able to use some more military jargon (I will admit I did have to google what STABO means, knew HALO and guessed at HAHO). Still, that said, if all you want is a bit of fun military lead science fiction you can't go far wrong here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Made me want to explore the series, 6 Jan. 2013
Whitehatter "Roy Ellor" (Salford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this book to review out of sequence, as it is one of a series. Bob Mayer's Area 51 Nightstalkers are the subject of a number of books, and I think I'll look up the first in the series.

Good authors won't leave you floundering though, should you come in mid-series. Mr Mayer has managed that as there is enough in the book to allow the reader to acquaint themselves with the characters and what they actually do. As for the story itself, I started to despair a little as I initially got the impression it would be a Tom Clancy type of American militaria pulp novel. Fortunately not.

I've read one Clancy book and hated it. Far too up itself with military references and completely devoid of humour. This book avoids that by having oddball characters and some witty dialogue. Imagine a novelised version of the Syfy channel's Warehouse 13 with a bit of Charles Stross' Laundry series. It's definitely American in tone and written using military expertise, but has a human and humourous aspect that actually works in this blend.

If you like warfare, big explosions, paranormal/scifi storylines and basically blowing up things that really should not be fighting back then this is for you. It's not great literature or space opera, but it's an engaging story well crafted and worth a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enter Area 51 (if you can find it), 19 Jun. 2013
Great White "GW" (Leicester, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Now many people speak of the infamous Area 51 in the Desert. Does it really exist and what are they doing there, spending millions of taxpayers money to hide things that we should never know about? Well that answer might just be in this book, although it is a work of fiction, some of it could be true. Area 51 reads like Black Ops meets Halo. The story is based around a team of crackpot soldiers that do the things that we as people are not supposed to know about. Rifts are appearing all over the world and it's the job of Carter to stop the alien threat from destroying the world. The book itself reads like a multiplayer match on Call of Duty, each of the characters in Nightstalkers, has their own quirk. One that takes a gung Ho approach to tackling the menace (which i have to say is much like me on shoot em ups). One is a science genius who gets poke fun of occasionally but put together and they are protectors but danger strikes when rifts show up in the camps and they have no choice but to fight to save the citizens of the district.

Area 51 is a rip roaring and sometimes witty Sci-fi action adventure that does at times have you biting your nails wondering if the team will save the day and escape with their lives.
A well crafted book

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, could do better., 21 Dec. 2012
Peter Miller (Sudbury, Suffolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The story concerns a unit dealing with strange anomalies called Fireflies that come out of rifts. We never know what they are, were they come from or how or why .

The main part of the story concerns a rift in a gated community of academics. The ensuing battles and damage including a full scale artillery barrage is passed of to the community with various excuses. American academics must be incredibly gormless.

The team are made up some really strange characters whom one never really get to know and are really cut out two dimensional people.

The only character with any real life and intelligence is a teenage girl who lives in the community. She solve problems, shows the team where everything is and is probably the nearest thing to a hero in the book

The cover should say "Suspend all belief and reason before entering"

I would say that it is readable but you will come away feeling very dissatisfied and wondering what it was all about,.

2.0 out of 5 stars Long and wordy, 29 Mar. 2013
Ren (Newcastle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the first book I've read by Bob Mayer and it certainly hasn't inspired me to read any others. I found the writing style very long and wordy, and ultimately quite boring. I like to get lost in a good book, but with this one I kept finding the words got in the way.

There seemed to be too much detail that really didn't matter. For example, the characters couldn't just hold a rifle or a pistol, no we had to have them referred to by make/model. This may be fine if you're especially interested in weaponry, but to your standard reading-for-enjoyment reader it just served to slow everything down and complicate the narrative. There was also plenty of random expletives and lots of initials or acronyms scattered about, which again only really served to break up any narrative flow and make the whole story slow and stilted.

It might be worth reading if you're a fan of the author or the series, but beyond that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

2.0 out of 5 stars not a book for the thinking reader, 20 Oct. 2014
I was expecting a really fast moving story with plenty of intelligent getup and go.but it soon turned into a pretty mediocre book about a supposedly super secret organisation with operatives who come across a lot of emotional miss fits with lots of military skills but not much thinking outside the box.