on 9 October 2013
I was blown away by Series 1 of this. I thought Series 2 couldn't beat it but it did. This was just brilliant on so many levels. The acting, the script, the story, the twists and turns of the personal lives, the layering, the quality of the filming and the set. I can't praise this enough. I still can't believe the BBC dropped this when they've not made anything this good in years. Get your act together BBC and give us Series 3!!!
on 11 September 2013
"The Hour" is a timeless classic combining a sweeping political backdrop with personal drama in a lavish 1950s period setting. It is riveting, compelling and entertaining. The writing is second to none. The production values are glorious. The photography and direction is stunning. The design, costumes, make-up and hair are a delight. The music is haunting. The performances are iconic.

WARNING: BBC Two has unaccountably decided NOT to commission a third series, leaving the audience literally hanging off a cliff at the end of Series Two (the Second Act Turning Point in the overall story arc of the three series taken as a whole). Nothing BBC Two has done in years comes close to "The Hour" in terms of style, accomplishment and beauty. It is not surprising therefore that a #SaveTheHour movement has sprung up with a petition on change.org to try to convince BBC Two to see the error of its ways. If you are a fan of "The Hour", be sure to sign!
on 19 March 2013
This is great television, and one of the best series I have seen recently, highy enjoyable and entertaining with a fascinating plot. Stayed up late to see several episodes at each sitting. I thought the second season was even better than the first. I really hope the BBC produce a third season.
on 4 May 2014
Some of the reviews border on professional critic standard and are brilliant. Mine is from a purely ordinary "series watcher" prospective. I do not have mainstream TV so only watch DVDs bought on Amazon and therefore reviews are very important to me. This was a brilliant series. As said previously, the way The Hour captured the era was spot on. The costumes, the sets and the characters were first class. The way of life may seem unbelievable to a younger generation with the lack of 'political correctness and all that alcohol and the cigarettes but that is exactly what it was like. The way the characters changed was superb. People you thought would never change did. Characters you really didn't like became your favourites. I agree that the relationship between Bel and Freddie was the most unconvincing to me but at the end even I could understand it, though he wouldn't have been my choice! I would never reveal any of the plots but if you want a cliffhanging end, a series with the most wonderful acting, costumes and sets, plots which will twist and turn then get this. One of the best things we have ever watched and cannot understand why people did not watch the second series as much. This should have gone into at least a third series. I am just dying to say who changed, how relationships died or were resurrected and how weak characters became strong but don't want to spoil it for anyone. Don't judge anyone until the end is all I WILL say! And - buy it!!
on 17 April 2013
This is one of the great BBC productions with meticulous attention to details of the period including dress, attitudes and the first forays into television journalism. It also reflects days when journalists took their craft seriously, followed stories where they led, had a real feel for ethics and knew a good story when they saw one. Romola and Dominic West are top class and only just shade the rest by a small margin. When does Series 3 begin?
on 13 May 2013
After reading so many well written reviews of The Hour here, it would be hard for me to add anything that hasn't already been said in so many of the great comments about the series that most all of you have made. However, there is one thing I would like to share with all who have enjoyed this program and are as upset as I am about the shows recent cancellation. Forgive me if this was already posted, but I read all the reviews and did not see this following bit of information. There is a legitimate petition that you can sign, addressed to the BBC asking them to commission a third series of The Hour. I am inserting the link here for those who haven't already seen it and would like to add your name and comments. It appears that there are more than 20,000 signatures to date. Scroll down the page that is linked to read more. A big thank you to Alice Stamataki, the young lady who started the petition! I hope the BBC will reconsider their decision and we will see the third series here on Amazon in the near furture. Fingers crossed!

change.org/en-GB/petitions/the-bbc-please-commission-a-third-series-of-the-hour-savethehour
on 12 May 2013
Brillant acting, especially by Romola Garai and Ben Whishaw, of course. But all the others are so wonderful, too. You British really have outstanding actors! Marvellous dialogues and reincarnation of the Fifties to the very last detail including the language ("wireless" - I understand nobody except HM says that anymore). The BBC at their very best. Very sorry series 3 shall not be launched.
on 4 July 2013
I'm only on the 3rd episode of this series and am well and truly hooked. The story and dialogue are impeccable every episode leaves you wanting more. The cast is superb giving 3 dimensional performances that allow us to sympathise with each character, flaws, warts and all. I'm so glad I decided to take the leap and buy this sight unseen, well worth the money.
on 25 June 2013
I love this tv show,and just like Ben (Whishaw),I'm very dessapointed about not having a third serie = ( .
#SaveTheHour
on 14 July 2013
An outstanding and imaginative series with a fantastic cast. Only one regret that for a purely unsufficient number of viewers it was cancelled. Any other network which would have dared pursuing the adventure ? A pity.

Suffice is to say the series was greatly appreciated in France.