Bosch IXO Cordless Lithium-Ion Screwdriver with 3.6 V Battery, 1.3 Ah
Package Quantity: 1Style Name: NormalChange
Price:£29.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

This is my second Ixo. This small tool has plenty of torque for household jobs, but will not handle large screws (over 5mm diameter). It is supplied in a big tin, and sits in its charger when not in use. The ergonomic design is excellent for hands large and small, whether you are right or left handed, and the trigger has a light touch. Just under the bit holder, an amber-coloured lamp illuminates the screw -- very useful, but why isn't it white? On top of the tool, a lamp comes on when recharge is advisable -- oddly it features a petrol pump symbol -- and goes out when charging is complete. If you let it run right down, the tool switches off to protect the lithium-ion battery. Other lamps show whether the tool is set to screw or unscrew, but they only come on after the tool has started to rotate, so are of limited use.

You get a set of driver bits, covering just about any small to medium crosshead screw, a couple of star-shape heads, and two hexagonal heads, which will substitute for Allen keys, and are helpful with flat-pack furniture. Alas, there is only one flat screwdriver head, a small one. You will probably need another, larger one, and a small-diameter drill bit for pilot holes. If you have bits from another screwdriver, they are likely to fit. The supplied bits seem to be high quality, and hard.

The instruction book looks as though it was written by lawyers hoping to avoid personal injury claims, but all the information you need is printed between the safety warnings.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 March 2013
This isn't a heavy duty screwdriver for Bob the Builder, it is a general purpose electric screwdriver for home use. For this it is ideal, as a balance between cost and features it offers just the right balance for most jobs around the home.

Build quality is excellent and it is a perfect size, just right to fit in the hand and light weight so your hand doesn't get tired after repeated use. It has sufficient torque for everything I have tried so far from tightening up screws on DIY furniture to screwing into rawl plugs in a brick wall. I have also used it to put 'screw-in' hollow wall fixings into place which it managed easily.

How long does the battery last? No idea as I have never had any issues with it running out even after continued use for an hour or so. It has a really nice little charger which also doubles as a bit holder.

If you are looking for a general purpose domestic electric screwdriver you won't go wrong with this one.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've just used this screwdriver for everything from hanging wooden blinds, installing child locks on the kitchen cabinet doors, and removing and replacing the switchplates when I paint a room to name a few.

Its small and easy to use but is still powerful.

This new lithium ion battery stays charged for months but the IXO can be stored on the charger without damaging the battery.

I like the fact that it is always charged when I need to use it.

I received this as a gift and liked it so much that I've purchased several more for the family.

This tool is the ultimate time saver! If you frequently assemble toys or have to put together flat packed furniture you will be very glad to buy this device.

It comes with plenty of bits including hex so no more fiddling with Allen keys also has an Ikea bit - wonderful.

It is compact enough to reach into plenty of corners a normal drill or screwdriver can't fit into.

Great product.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The Bosch IXO is a compact and lightweight tool ideally suited for a variety of screwdriving tasks in and around the home. It hosts an integrated long lasting 3.6V Li-ion battery, and a 3 position slide switch: Forward, Lock, reverse.

The unit comes in a very handy metal container which houses the tool and charger. This tiny 3.6V tool packs in some punch, yet I see this as a double sided sword. Whilst it gets the job done in no time, there is a risk of stripping the screw head as it does not sport any torque settings. You would have to buy an optional Torque Setting Attachment

The intuitive lights on the top part of the tool indicate FWD, REV and the middle light indicates the charge. When this light turns orange the tool needs to be recharged. Once placed on the charging cradle the light will turn green, and when charge is complete it will turn off. The direction lights will come on once the trigger is pressed.

Pros:
- Great build quality
- Very ergonomic design
- Long Battery life

Cons:
- No torque settings
- Not a variable speed trigger. It's either on or off
- FWD /LOCK/ REV switch can be easily knocked off the desired position

There are various optional attachments available for this little tool, namely:
Torque Setting Attachment
Angle Gear Attachment
Easy-Reach Adapter

In order to attach these adapters the rubber part on the front of the tool needs to be removed. This part comes off very easily and a recessed notch will aid removal. Any of the other two bits can now be easily snapped on. Removal of these bits is also very easy. Turning the indicated part on the bit itself anti clockwise will release the attachment.

------------------------------------------------

Tips:
When stowing away the screwdriver, I put a tiny piece of paper between the charging contacts and the driver. Whilst I have no proof that this would prevent discharge, it was presented this way when I first bought it.

As With all Li-ion batteries, never let the battery to fully discharge as this could result in a shorter battery life.

----------------------------------------------------

This is a great tool, which gets the job done. Yet if you had to factor in the price of the IXO plus the variable setting attachment head then the Bosch PSR 7.2 LI Cordless 7.2 Screwdriver, 1 x Li-Ion Battery is a serious contender. It offers more power, variable speed, variable torque, a sturdier drop in charger and a larger 7.2 Li-Ion battery.

Highly recommended to anyone wanting a solid, easy to use cordless screw driver at a very competitive price.

Hope you find this review helpful.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have been attempting DIY for many years. I can remember when the first electric rechargeable tools first came on the market. Some were quite good and some were rubbish.

My last electric screwdriver was quite bulky being over 10 years old - so a replacement was due. Did the research and chose this little beauty.

How the world and the rechargeable screwdriver have progressed!!

Used all day with no lose of power, love the little torch that comes on when activated.

Two things worth a comment. Firstly, the switch that makes it screw in, lock and screw out is just a bit near the trigger for me. I have big hands and found that now and again I accidently moved this switch during operation and secondly it is just stop and go - would be nice if it was variable speed.

However, these small points do not detract from the fact that this is a great little tool and good value at the price.
on 13 November 2012
Very powerful tool, powers large screws straight into wood without a pilot hole. Impressive battery life too. Can be kept on the charger, when it's full it stops charging. Wish I had this years ago.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 25 October 2013
Rotation direction switch fiddly and loose and is constantly moving to an unwanted setting.. The body doesn't feel comfortable to hold.
The charging lead is hard wired into the base station, which also holds the bits.....so if you take the bits outside to work, you are dragging a plug and lead with you.
The screwdriver does have adequate power and the battery life is good for the size,, but I have owned many cordless screwdrivers, and I have found that this Bosch is NOT good value for money.
on 26 August 2013
A very useful tool but not suitable for some of the awkward spots. Could do with an extension for tight corners. Suplied in a neat useful tin with a selection of bits.
on 12 March 2015
I bought this on a bit of a whim, to fit my new kitchen with. I already have a dewalt 18v drill but on second thoughts, realised it may be to big to use as a general purpose driver. So I bought this and boy am I glad I did! It's literally breezed through putting together my units, screwing them to the walls(plasterboard and brick), and pretty much everything else I've thrown at it. I'm an electrician by day and I've used some dapper tools in my time, but this is easily up there with the best of them. Seriously it's that good!
It's just the overall size of it (tiny)and power this thing has. A lot better than electric drivers of yesteryear. You may have read about people saying it should have a torque setting. But I think if you can spell your own name ok then you can tell when a screw is tight enough, without over tightening. The only time it struggled was when I went bat poo crazy and tried going through 3 layers of kitchen unit walls, it made it through 2 and run out of steam on the third. But that's what my dewalt is for.
So as long as your expectations aren't over zealous, then this is a serious tool for the serious DIY enthusiast/tradesman alike. It's so cheap you should just buy it and it'll be there waiting for you to use when your next big or little project comes up. Even better buy it as a gift for the bloke in your life! I wish someone had for me, it'd be best gift ever IMO. My kitchen install would have been like trying to eat dinner through a letterbox without it. Overall an excellent product!
on 24 April 2015
Absolute rubbish. Quicker and easier to use a hand screwdriver