5.0 out of 5 stars The birthplace of modern horror
I own a twenty year old paperback copy of Carnacki the Ghostfinder, bought for me as a Christmas present by one of my Uncles when I was but a child. I'm now in my thirties and I've returned to this book regularly ever since, no matter which way my literary leanings have taken me.
Published on 3 Mar 2004 by Anthony Lynas

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a look
Published 5 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars The birthplace of modern horror, 3 Mar 2004
Anthony Lynas (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
You see, despite the relatively simple writing style, and the occasional tweeness, all of the stories in this collection have something in common - they are believable and genuinely tense and scary.
Carnacki is a psychic sleuth - Edwardian Britain's answer to Jonathan Creek - sent to investigate ghostly goings on that may, or may not, be caused by unexplained phenomena. What sets Carnacki apart from many similar creations is that he isn't presented as a "know-all" and is often as scared of the situation he is in as the reader is meant to be . What sets the stories apart from similar creations is William Hope Hodgson's refusal to let them become supernatural freak-fests; the terrifying events are described in down-to-earth terms and their impact on the characters in the stories is more important than the explanations given to them.
There are three absolute gems in here - The Hog, The Horse of the Invisible and, in particular, The Whistling Room, which is both chilling and utterly believable.
William Hope Hodgson's stories heavily influenced HP Lovecraft (widely regarded as the father of modern horror) and it's easy to see themes Hodgson created being built on in Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos. Later horror and occult authors, including Tremayne and Wheatley, have acknowledged Hodgson's impact on their writing. Hodgson was out of print in the UK from 1913 to 1973; American publishers kept his writing alive during this period. That Carnacki is still being read now, nearly a century after the stories were written, should be evidence enough of their strength, and I would recommend them to everybody. Especially the writers of Jonathon Creek, who seem to need a nudge in the right direction.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 3 Aug 2003
I have owned a copy of this book for over 15 years and have read it dozen's of times, and each time is like the first. Every story makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck and when you turn out the light when you go to bed you'll swear that you are not alone. I have read horror stories by many authors but this book is still a firm favourite, I look over my bookcases trying to decide on what to read and this one just jumps of the shelf. You never tire of reading about Carnacki's experiences. I can't rate this book highly enough, get yourself a copy, NOW!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Version, 21 Jun 2012
I've always loved the Carnacki stories and was pretty happy to find this for Kindle. The format is pretty good although it only includes the six first stories, but not The Hog, The Haunted Jarvee or The Find, which is a real pity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Spooky Writer, 1 Jun 2008
Ken Raus "David O'Brien" (Lugdunum) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I first read these stories as a teenager and was very impressed by them
Especially by THE WHISTLING ROOM,which is also a kind of legendary tragedy,
If I recall,of the presumptuous jester...An amazing tale and I am amazed
That no filmmaker has seen fit to film any of his work,given so much of the
Corny crass dross that floods out of the Hollywood horror mills with the
general exception of Steven King-based stuff...Hope Hodgson also wrote the
Great novel THE NIGHTLAND which would be wonderful filmed as would several
Stories in this collection where the 'Fictional Activist' is presented as
Openminded rather than as a partisan materialist or Spiritualist...Read his
Other work,too.The Night LandThe Ghost Pirates

5.0 out of 5 stars A professional ghost hunter, 4 Jan 2003
C. M. Collier "myopia1" (Liverpool,england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I think this is a very good book.It contains ghost stories related to friends by a professional ghost hunter.He uses modern (early 1900's)equipment,like an electric pentangle he has invented.Some of the tales are very scary indeed,like The Gateway of the Monster and The Whistling Room,and sometimes it's a bit like Scooby-Doo and the ghosts are fake,but I'm not telling which ones.
I found it really entertaining and thoroughly enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ultimately Rewarding, 21 Jun 2014
M. Forrest (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carnacki, the Ghost Finder (Kindle Edition)
Written in an often convoluted and idiosyncratic style, which does take some getting used to, the actual ghostly tales themselves are very rewarding both in their ideas and in the images they conjure up.
I remember reading in a battered paperback copy of The House On The Borderland that Hodgson was actually not a very good write but he always managed to have several ideas that stuck in the memory and that certainly holds true here.
There are a few typos and repeated sentences but considering the book is free and brings Hodgson's works out of the shadows, more then makes up for any shortcomings.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a look, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Carnacki, the Ghost Finder (Kindle Edition)
These are all quite enjoyable even if the reasons given for the haunting is sometimes beyond ludicrous. The source of the evil smell being easily the daftest. What? How? Why??? But then if you are unwilling to make a major suspension of disbelief then you shouldn't really be reading ghost stories should you. A real influence on ghost stories ever since. You will find them a good way to pass the time;

5.0 out of 5 stars Carnacki, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: Carnacki, the Ghost Finder (Kindle Edition)
Not long winded but very enjoyable short stories, easy to read and go back to when interrupted. Suitable for busy mums.

2.0 out of 5 stars Old fashioned, 30 Oct 2013
CK Writer (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carnacki, the Ghost Finder (Kindle Edition)
Rather long winded and quite boring, I gave up before the end of the book. I guess you can't please everyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun read, 9 July 2013
This review is from: Carnacki, the Ghost Finder (Kindle Edition)
I gave this 3 stars as I found the language a bit difficult to comprehend but it was quite fun to read.

Carnacki, the Ghost Finder