5.0 out of 5 stars I am very happy with it
As an older person I like simple and that is just what you get from this radio.
Published on 23 Jan. 2013 by watchman

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy This Item!
Published 12 months ago by Ric Cheyney

5.0 out of 5 stars I am very happy with it, 23 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Roberts Sound38 CD/DAB/FM Stereo Clock Radio with CD Bookmark (Electronics)
As an older person I like simple and that is just what you get from this radio.
It's simple to set up, just unpack, plug it in and switch on. The clock sets it's self from the radio time signal and it tunes in all the available stations without pressing a button. You need to read the handbook to set up the pre-set stations you want to use, but that's just about the only control that is not intuitive to use.
For such a small block of technology the sound is good in our large living room, Roberts have done a good job in a small box.
The CD is great as it remembers where it stopped, great for hard of sight people and spoken word CD books.
The Roberts has replaced our lovely Sure DAB SD recording radio which was hardly getting any use, as the buttons and remote are so complicated you give up wanting to use it and it does not play all our old CD's.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll need to read the instructions, but it will be worth it., 27 Sept. 2012
Great little DAB Radio CD Alarm. Sound quality surprisingly good for a box of it's size. DAB reception is perfect. Reviews of the earlier version of this contained complaints that the display was too bright at night. This has been fixed in the new model and it can be dimmed to a level that would not disturb anyone. My only quibble is that each button has several features most of which are not in the slightest bit intuitive. Having said that the manual is excellent there is a logic behind it all. Once you are used to it, everything is quite straight forwards and most activities require very few button presses. Just don't think you can get away without reading the manual at first. If you are anything like me you'll probably want to download a backup copy from their website to keep for when you lose the original.

Unless you are someone who would rather spend several hours of trial and error than read a manual, don't let this put you off. It is a lovely bit of kit. Small, great sound for the size, plays mp3 CDs and will remember where you were when you stopped the CD (which is frequently more than I can manage). Even with the initial learning curve it still deserves five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars ALL IN ONE AMAZING DAB/CD RADIO!, 8 Feb. 2013
I have recently purchased this DAB/CD radio for home as my wife & I wanted something compact that had all of the main functions. My first impression was that it was a lovely cubed shape, simple, stylish and elegant in design. i plugged it in and really loved the fact that it automatically set itself to the correct date and time using a built in signal/receiver...very impressive! I tried one of my favourite CDs and was amazed at how clear the sound quality was for such a small system with a good range of frequencies and I am extremely fussy when it comes to sound quality being a musician who listens to music all the time, so this ticked the box from the off. Next was the DAB radio. Very easy system and having never used DAB before was pleasantly surprised to find all of the stations listed in alphabetical order, and they all just worked with no interference. What is great is that it lists the show/song that is playing at the time which is great if you want to make a note of something that you like the sound of. All of the other functions were great such as the dimmer switch that has a number of settings and the AUX in socket which is handy if you want to play something off your MP3/Smart phone etc...The multiple alarms are also great providing so much flexibility.

All in all a great gadget for the home and I would certainly recommend to anyone...buy it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute little cube., 26 Aug. 2012
Amazon Customer (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I would have given this five stars but for the fact that unless I'm lying down on my bed I can't see the face telling me who is playing or what I'm listening to.
I haven't tried all the functions yet, just the basic DAB radio and the cd player. There are various buttons on the front that I haven't tested.
I love the fact that it bookmarks your cd place and starts where you left off.
The sound is good. I would have preferred to have the headphone socked somewhere on the front or the front side edge. As it is, it's at the very back so that takes up some inches of the length of the headphone cable. I don't want to drag the radio off the table if I turned over in bed.
It is such a cute little cube though and I love it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy This Item!, 2 Mar. 2014
Sorry, I am usually a big fan of Roberts gear, but this just does not work. The DAB is fine, as you'd expect, and the sound on the CD is surprisingly 3D considering the size of the cube, but the CD player malfunctions. I sent it back and got a replacement, because I was so sure Roberts would not make a duffer, but the replacement had exactly the same faults so in the end I got a refund. Problems included stopping in mid track and switching itself off! Also, the sound started to distort near the end of a CD-R over 60 minutes. Even the volume control is counter-intuitive: turn it down to turn it up! I mean..... Get it right, people!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 22 Oct. 2013
I have just got this radio and I have the same problem as Mr Lewin. When the radio comes on using the alarm I have no clock so don't know the time. There is a "Display" button which toggles between different screens including the time. This works when the radio has been turned on manually using the on/off button. However, this button does not work when the radio comes on with the alarm so I do not know the time when it wakes me up, all I can see is station information. I have contacted Roberts and they suggest returning the radio which they say is faulty. Will this cure the problem as others have reported this issue too? Has anybody any ideas?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sound., 20 Sept. 2012
I have bought other clock radios in the past but this is by far the best sounding one, and with a cd player, an added bonus. Well worth the money

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good value., 28 Dec. 2012
Good sound for a small unit - almost as good as my 'Pure' product. CD player is good with no 'spinning' noise and the 'bookmark' feature is a nice option. Installation and DAB tuning effortless. Display has a few dimming options (or totally dimmed) and offers 'time only' or 'time and date'. Information whilst the DAB is in operation shows station and scrolling track.
Simple - does what is says on the box - would recommend and found it to be good value. Small 'footprint' - compact. Easy to use - buttons all on front, volume wheel at side.

4.0 out of 5 stars Night Wakers, 16 Sept. 2012
Roberts Radios 3-Band Dual Alarm Stereo Clock Radio with CD Player (CD Cube)

I rarely need waking in the morning but I regularly wake every two or three hours during the night.
Hence, radio + CD available at my bedside is a blessing.
I'm pleased with the Roberts Sound 38 --- it's compact but delivers sound quality good enough for my classical music tastes, both radio and CD.
It's fairly easy to operate although I've had to learn to locate the controls in the dim light of the time/operation window : I don't want to have to turn on a main light !
The select/play/pause and stop buttons are flush with the case and are thus sometimes less than positive to operate ; but I'm sure this will become easier with familiarity.
Altogether, I regard it as a sound purchase, worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pity about the aerial, 21 Nov. 2012
I gave this as a present to a close friend who needs to wake up in an insistent but pleasant manner. We tried it at my house and it was fantastic - really lovely tone for a small thing, the tuning is easy, and most of the controls simple to manage.
However when she took it home the reception was more problematic and the position of the aerial crucial. Unlike my excellent Roberts Ecologic 4 which boasts a telescopic aerial, this model has a bit of wire. My friend has attached it to a stick which has worked when it is propped up, but it does seem a shame my present doesn't function well without this improvisation.