Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 28 October 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed watching Dracula, the film which is loosely based on this book, so I thought I'd give the original story a try. And what can I say but wow, from first page to last, was gripped and the chase near the end had me virtually exhausted while reading, can not say I have had an experience like that reading any other book.
To anyone who's thinking of getting this get it and read it for nowt you ain't going to go wrong. Few friends of mine don't like that it is set like a diary or journal, I had no problems with how it is put to paper.
All I can say its Entertaining, gripping, thrilling and Fangtastic
on 22 March 2013
This is the original Dracula from which all the rest have come. It is very much a product of its time , written over 100 years ago. It was interesting as I had no idea what would happen to the heroine in the end. It was also interesting to read how journeys across Europe were undertaken.
on 20 January 2015
This took me a while to read. I could say I am a "fan" of vampires, as odd as it sounds, but I have grown up watching films, TV shows and reading the books. I thought I "knew" the character of Dracula - I know what is now the popular image is not how the character started off, so it was interesting to see the creation of this infamous creature, and I will admit I was a bit horrified! The language is a bit dated and it does drag on a bit, but I did not have a moment where I wanted to give up.
People are now used to Twilight with sparkly vampires and the teen vampire stories which are great in their own right, but this is where it all really began and I would say worth the read if it interests you. It makes you understand why there were such fears over these creatures, before they were romanticised in today's world.
on 20 November 2014
It is obvious why the central villain of this tale has gripped the imagination of so many readers and spawned so many spin-offs. He represents the fears of the society on which he preys.

It's epic journey from London to Transylvania, to Whitby and back again makes the plot enjoyable and varied and there is something thrilling in the actions of the 'band of brothers' (women aren't really allowed to help!) that come together to destroy Count Dracula. But, at times, the characters are frustrating two-dimensional stereotypes and you feel that Stoker has had too much time available on his type writer.

If you want to expand your knowledge of Gothic fiction, find out where the vampire myth got started or explore the fears of the fin de siècle society; this is the book for you.
on 3 July 2013
I had put off reading Dracula as I was expecting it to be a difficult read by virtue of it's age. On the contrary I found it engaging and it's style of clippings from characters diaries, newspapers etc. was rather fun. The Whitby locals were a little difficult to decypher, and the Van Helsing dialogue was annoying, but the rest was an easy enough read. The story is a familiar one and therefore drags a little, and the main characters are a little TOO virtuous but if you are wanting to get your teeth into a classic horror then this is a good place to start.

I can very much recommend reading this book in Whitby as the town centre seems to have changed very little and you can truely picture the events that happen there!
on 30 December 2013
With so many reviews here on this famous classic, not sure if I can add anything of value, except to say that if you do not enjoy the kind of writing that attempts to emulate accents, then you might want to think twice about this one. That kind of thing is all right in small doses, but here the character of Van Helsing can be just a little irritating with his supposed Dutch-speak version of English that goes on and on (and on). You will, however, learn all about the stock in trade features of all the vampire genre, the red eyes, they teeth, the wolves, the bats etc. This is where a lot of it began, so interesting for that alone. I cannot honestly say, though, that I would want to read anything else by this author.
on 25 December 2012
Dracula written by Bram Stoker was published in 1897, though it reads like a modern piece of horror fiction. Jonathan Harker is trapped in Count Dracula's castle. Harker's journal reveals encounters such as with three female vampires to Dracula leaving his room by climbing along the castle walls. Stoker does not shy away from gore as he describes in detail driving a stake through a vampires heart. No details are spared. The main power in the story are the female characters, who become as much of the hero as the male characters. Dracula is easily on a par with modern horror stories and is a must read for the modern enthusiast. With its timeless qualities, Dracula will remain a classic of horror fiction.
on 31 July 2014
Scary book, and very much a book of its time! Dracula lives in a sparsely populated area so he travels to England where there are millions of potential victims. Unfortunately his plans are thwarted by Van Helsing and crew.
This is a classic morality tale that broadcasts Victorian values as found in any novel of the time. The honourable strong men and the pure women contrasted against the evil Count and the voluptuous women under his control.
Particularly loved the portrayal of male arrogance in deciding to exclude Mina from their battle plans to 'protect' her - as she has a woman's heart and won't be able to live with the knowledge of this evil. That worked out well! :-)
on 22 February 2015
There's a review on here from Stuart Ayris (8 Aug 2013) which encapsulates my thoughts entirely - so I won't re-write what he's already done so splendidly. Suffice to say I'd read this as a child and, at the 2nd time of reading, could only get 60% of the way through when I got to the point where I thought I'm not enjoying this, I know how it ends, I'm giving up.

Literary tastes have moved on a lot since 1897 and it's a slow read. Almost gave it a 2 but had to add the 3rd star for the inventiveness of the character. Sure this must've been a massive surprise to the Victorians. But we've overdosed on vampire movies and books and this book pales by comparison (pun intended).
on 15 November 2013
Dracula is a very famous story that nowadays most people are familiar with I imagine. It is gripping at times, well written generally.

It does suffer with age, lots of its ideas are distinctly Victorian and incredibly backward if not shockingly sexist by modern standards. Most of the characters lack depth and feel more like pantomime heroes and villains and female characters are bland, unbelievable and uninteresting.

I would recommend Dracula to those with interest in horror/gothic, and those interested in supposed classics. To be honest I think that were Dracula written today, it would not be considered quite so highly and might even be a 'guilty pleasure'.