5.0 out of 5 stars Still fang tastic
I thoroughly enjoyed watching Dracula, the film which is loosely based on this book, so I thought I'd give the original story a try. And what can I say but wow, from first page to last, was gripped and the chase near the end had me virtually exhausted while reading, can not say I have had an experience like that reading any other book.
To anyone who's thinking of...
Published on 28 Oct. 2012 by Mark Barraclough

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
The only reason I dragged myself to the end of the book was because it's been so influential and is considered a 'classic' of sorts.

Published 12 months ago by Mr. P. Benson

5.0 out of 5 stars Still fang tastic, 28 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Dracula (Kindle Edition)
To anyone who's thinking of getting this get it and read it for nowt you ain't going to go wrong. Few friends of mine don't like that it is set like a diary or journal, I had no problems with how it is put to paper.
All I can say its Entertaining, gripping, thrilling and Fangtastic

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 9 April 2014
Mr. P. Benson "PJB" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dracula (Kindle Edition)

After a promising start it quickly evolved in to a verbose and slightly tedious exchange of diaries. No twists or surprises - just a bunch of baffled Victorians politely praising each other. I read on, convinced it would eventually redeem itself. It didn't.

In its day this was probably regarded as a racy horror, but even in context it's hard to overlook the clumsy plot construction, the wildly varying pace, and the surprisingly brief climax. It would have made a reasonable novella had Stoker just cut out the waffling sermons and the gushing reverence the characters share for one another. I'd give it two stars for being good enough to launch an entire genre, but it's such a ham-fisted effort I'm amazed it ever saw the light of day.

I realise from past experience that writing a negative review puts me in the firing line to some extent, but there it is.

Recently I've read 'I am Legend', 'The Woman in Black', 'The Day of The Triffids', amongst others. They're not exactly 'gothic' comparables, but they do all share certain themes. In my opinion all were significantly better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh. Showing its age., 16 Oct. 2014
First the criticisms.

1. This is an older book and it feels like it. The action and language are in keeping with the literary norms of its time and it feels lacking for a modern reader. There is no shock or suspense because the story and concept are now so ingrained in our popular culture.

2. The diary format doesn't work unless it reads like a diary. It is a forced convention which fails because it is not believable and so this undermines the credibility of the characters.

The good bits.

1. Its Dracula. If you like proper vampires rather than sparkly ones then this delivers and the characters are timeless.

2. I really enjoyed the flow of the writing despite my above criticisms and the geographical and travel aspect of the novel is great.

In conclusion this was worth the download but would not take a physical place on my bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars "For the dead travel fast", 26 April 2015
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dracula (Paperback)
Surprisingly "Denn die Toten reiten schnell" or "For the dead travel fast" is more than an opening line to this tale of love in the dangerous moon light. After watching several Drac movies and a few Nosferatu's, I pretty much though I had a handle on the genera. Little did I know what a wonderful world of mystery and suspense that Bram Stoker opened up for me.

The story is told mostly third party though the papers, diaries, and phonograph recordings (on wax cylinders) of those people involve in a tale so bizarre that it almost defies belief. The general story line is that of a Count that plans to move to a more urban setting (from Borgo Pass to London) where there is a richer diet. There he finds succulent women; something he can sing his teeth in. Unfortunately for him a gang of ruffians (including a real-estate agent, asylum director, Texas cowboy and an Old Dutch abnormal psychologist) is out to detour his nocturnal munching. They think they have Drac on the run but with a wing and a prayer he is always one step ahead.

Of more value to the reader is the rich prose chosen by Stoker as he describes the morals and technology of the time. We have to come to grips with or decide if we can perform the rituals that are required to eliminate vampires verses the impropriety of opening graves and staking loved ones. The powers in the book differ from the movie versions in that they are more of persuasion and capabilities to manipulate the local weather. At one point the Dutch Dr. Van Helsing, is so overwhelmed by a beautiful vampire laying in the grave that he almost for gets why he is there and may become vamp chow.

All in all the story is more in the cunning chase. And the question as to will they succeed or will Dracula triumph. Remember "For the dead travel fast."

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic horror with many ponderous passages, 6 Oct. 2014
Archy (ALTRINCHAM, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dracula (Kindle Edition)
There might be a few SPOILERS in here, if there really is anyone who doesn't know who Dracula is...

I've seen a fair few Dracula films, and thought it was about time I read the original. And while there are enough powerful and engrossing passages to warrant four stars, for it did keep me reading, there is an awful lot of padding, and a method of telling the tale by switching from journal to journal, from letter to letter etc. that grew rather tiresome after a while.

The first part is excellent, as an unwary solicitor visits Dracula in his castle, to arrange purchase of properties in England, and is held prisoner. Very creepily done indeed. Then the action switches to England, specifically to Whitby, though there isn't nearly as much of the novel set there as you'd expect if you visited the place! Dracula arrives on a mysterious ship, and promptly starts to pay his nightly attentions to the friend of the solicitor's fiancée.

This is the first of a number of implausible threads - why does Dracula pick on this one group of friends? - that occur throughout. There is a lot of padding as friends of the poor girl arrange repeated blood transfusions to try to save her, though when a similar thing happens later it doesn't seem to occur to any of them. Dracula himself is immensely versatile, turning into animals and mist as required, and apparently having the strength of twenty men. Yet he does get scared off with remarkable ease.

The surprising thing for me was that he was not dispatched with the traditional stake through the heart, though a number of lesser vampires are. The ending is a little anti-climatic. He is called the King Vampire (odd that the 'reading group notes' boldly state that there is no mention of vampires in the novel; wrong!) and yet seems to be terrible vulnerable for a powerful being who's lived for centuries.

So while I'm glad, finally, to have read the source of the great horror films, for once I can understand why the various directors added a little more to the final confrontation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable in parts, slightly patchy in others *SPOILERS*, 11 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Dracula (Kindle Edition)
I decided to read Dracula after booking a trip to Romania, however after a promising start I found myself losing interest and finishing it only several months after I returned. The beginning was incredibly enjoyable and much darker than I expected (a bereaved mother gets eaten by wolves in one memorable occasion) and the novel skipped along nicely. The ending too I found thoroughly gripping and had that rare experience of being sucked into the novel and actually sharing the tension as the protagonists pursued Dracula across Europe. However the novel felt overly drawn out and slowed right down once the story shifted to England. The attacks on the two female characters got a bit repetitive, the doting of the male characters a bit tiresome and certain interesting threads of the story didn't really develop and fizzled out (for instance, the lunatic and his failed attempts to perform some unspecified service for Dracula). Overall an enjoyable read though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Forget the films, 22 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Dracula (Kindle Edition)
This is the original Dracula from which all the rest have come. It is very much a product of its time , written over 100 years ago. It was interesting as I had no idea what would happen to the heroine in the end. It was also interesting to read how journeys across Europe were undertaken.

3.0 out of 5 stars Abit drawn out, 18 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Dracula (Kindle Edition)
It was a good book but a bit anti-climactic. Goes on building and building then its done in a page

5.0 out of 5 stars Vampires that don't sparkle, 22 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Dracula (Kindle Edition)
Loved it. I 've never being a fan of vampires especially not pale faced morose teens who sparkle in sunlight. This vampire however is so much better. I loved the writing style of using diaries and newspaper clippings. Dracula isn't cool or dashing like people would suppose but a coward hungry parasite. The Anti vamp team that's created is really great bringing their own skill. Van Helsing as the crotchety old gentleman was my favourite character and the use of local british history puts you in the scenes. I live not far from Whitby and I have being to the placed mentioned such as the church that looks over the town and had no idea of it's reverence. The methods and lore of killing vampires other than a stake through the heart was really interesting such as the use of sacred wafer.Would definitely recommend for a true take on Vampirism. Can't wait to go back to Whitby.

3.0 out of 5 stars The original, 20 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Dracula (Kindle Edition)
This took me a while to read. I could say I am a "fan" of vampires, as odd as it sounds, but I have grown up watching films, TV shows and reading the books. I thought I "knew" the character of Dracula - I know what is now the popular image is not how the character started off, so it was interesting to see the creation of this infamous creature, and I will admit I was a bit horrified! The language is a bit dated and it does drag on a bit, but I did not have a moment where I wanted to give up.
People are now used to Twilight with sparkly vampires and the teen vampire stories which are great in their own right, but this is where it all really began and I would say worth the read if it interests you. It makes you understand why there were such fears over these creatures, before they were romanticised in today's world.

Dracula