5.0 out of 5 stars the jungle book
this is the very best book i have read in ages, i could not put it down until i had finished reading the whole thing
Published 17 months ago by bulldog

3.0 out of 5 stars The jungle book
This book is so good And I can reed it a game I wish it could Dr mare psychic and I now is good
And do you think that is so old you want to reed if? And the book is free and not to pay the videos the fine. And it so good but is not want I think is you,want you think. Say what you think. And I give a the story 5 out of5 because is so good from Jessica
Published 18 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars the jungle book, 12 Jan. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic stories still fun to read today, 28 Jun. 2010
Mary D (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I'd been tearing my hair out trying to find books to inspire my 9 year old son. He'd moved on from Horrid henry, Captain Underpants and the like but was showing no interest at all in other modern classics despite being a good reader. Then I found Rikki Tikki Tavi in an old collection of mine - and he was hooked. Flew through the Just So Stories - then onto The Jungle Book - seemed unpeturbed by the old fashioned language - and hooked on the danger and violence that permeate these survival stories. Nothing the slightest bit PC about these - but full of suspense and great characterisation. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars jungle book review, 23 Jun. 2011
I was primarily interested in finding an edition of this famous work that was suitable interms of print for an eight year old. Altough it did not have any illustrations inside unlike another edition on offer the print size was just right.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rich language and old-fashioned ideas, 20 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Jungle Book (Kindle Edition)
Of course, I'm familiar with Mowgli. Who hasn't seen the clips from Disney's film? I'd never read the book. I found old favourites and surprising insertions. I found rich language and old-fashioned ideas. They must be wonderful to read aloud, to read to an audience. Stories for story-tellers.

This kindle edition had the text of the stories interspersed with the songs or poems in a typewriter-style font. It made them distinctive, but it distracted me from the beauty of them because the font was so much larger, comparatively, and also letters rather widely spaced. I'm never at my best reading poems in a narrative. However they are worth attention, for they flow and ebb like the breathing of the jungle itself.

There are stories here that are old favourites without my ever having read them. Somehow I absorbed Rikki-Tikki-Tavi through the wealth of experience. The descriptions of the animals and their actions are divine. I particularly remarked the way Rikki (a mongoose) tackled his prey, large or small. The story of Toomai of the Elephants was unknown to me, but so rich in its description of the jungle, of the elephant dance, I felt I was there. Maybe I have the advantage of having been on a holiday to watch tigers in the Indian National Parks and reserves, but the descriptions were so vivid I felt I had returned to places I'd been.

The last story, Her Majesty's Servants, has animals performing different duties in the Indian regiments describing their roles and their interaction with man and their purpose as they see it. It reminded me of Captain in Black Beauty, but more, it gave me a vivid flashback to The Maltese Cat, a Rudyard Kipling story I read in an anthology when I was in my teens. Kipling's remarkable ability to consider how animals might see their interaction with the world they are in is neither anthropomorphic nor naturalistic. It is somewhere in between - animals making sense of the madness of the human world, but reciprocating the bonds that humans feel with their animals. What this story offers is insight into history during the time of such conflicts, much as War Horse does. It is a window into a bygone world.

Is it relevant to today's teenage reader? I believe so. The richness of the language may also be old-fashioned, but there are plenty of wonderful literary works of that and former periods that are recommended reading. A lover of words, or animals, or travel, or bygone ages, will love this book. Even if the seal story, The White Seal, is a rather jarring incongruency in the middle of an Indian landscape. I wouldn't consider it a book for 7-11 though, unlike the Product Reviewer. But then I'm also reading Professor Branestawm, labelled 9+ years, which I would put in the 7-11 bracket. Maybe my ideas are just different.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable prose, 12 April 2014
This review is from: The Jungle Book (Kindle Edition)
I read this as a child and came back to it many times during my life. Now I'm 70 and I'm still captivated by the storytelling skills of Rudyard Kipling. The story of how Mowgli grew up in the Seeonee hills with his bothers, the wolves is not a childish conceit. It is a tale of how a boy grows up among a divers group of animals. Bagheera, the black panther, Balo the bear the teacher of the jungle; his brothers, the wolves, the great grey leader of the pack Alayla, and cowardly tiger Sheer Kahn and the majestic king of the jungle Hathi and his 3 sons. But it is the humans and the monkeys who come off worse. When Mowgli visits the village on the edge of the Jungle he finds the ways of humans false, unhealthy and spiritually bankrupt. He makes no secret of his thoughts and is finally driven out of the village. But not until he has killed Sheer Kahn, who had earlier sworn to kill Mowgli at his adoption into the wolf pack when he was a baby. Interspersed with the captivating stories of Mowgli's life in the wild Kipling offers up evocative poems and a selection of other stories. The unforgettable mongoose Riki Tiki Tavi. The brave, charismatic Kotik, the white seal, the seedy companions of the evil Mugger of Mugger Gaunt among many others

5.0 out of 5 stars The jungle book, 1 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Jungle Book (Kindle Edition)
This story is about a boy called Mowgli who lives with a pack of wolves in the jungle. This book was excellent and is a bit like Tarzan.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Jungle Book, 20 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Jungle Book (Kindle Edition)
I did enjoy reading this book. In the past I have read the children's version. I expected it to be more like this

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 4 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Jungle Book (Kindle Edition)
This was pure awesome I love the bit where the lion gets mocked by the vultures. It is AMAZING!!!!! Lol

4.0 out of 5 stars A classis, 10 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Jungle Book (Kindle Edition)
A great read for all ages. Fun stories that describe the world magically. Makes me want to watch the film

5.0 out of 5 stars reading book, 8 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Jungle Book (Kindle Edition)
my son has problems reading but this book has helped him loads as it has more difficult words in it

The Jungle Book