5.0 out of 5 stars Lying, 7 Jan 2012
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This is only a short piece by Mark Twain, but I always think it is worth reading by all of us. This essay was given as a speech to a Hartford Club by Twain, he did give many comic speeches at clubs throughout his life, possibly helping garner his endearing popularity.

Given as an oratorical essay for discussion Twain gives us here a comic thought provoking thesis on the art of lying. We all do it, but alas as Twain points out, do we do it with artistic aplomb, or just rather boringly? Giving his thoughts on how we should use lying to a greater more benevolent and artistic effect this is well worth reading. If you have only read 'Huck Finn' or 'Tom Sawyer' then you should really give other works by Twain a go, as people who do have always found it to be well worth the effort.

4.0 out of 5 stars Short burst of Clever, 16 Aug 2013
This review is from: On the Decay of the Art of Lying (Kindle Edition)
It's a short piece but a little treat to come back to every now and then. The argument is as relevant today as it ever was because people don't change and Mr twain's observations and conclusions are still fresh, witty and chuckle inducing humorous.

5.0 out of 5 stars ., 12 April 2013
Who wouldn't be delighted to find the public domain list of FREE classic literature. This is fantastic. All the titles I've always wanted to read and for free - this is my kind of kindle heaven. I love the way they arrive on your kindle, they're so quick, it's like magic. Thank you public domain!

5.0 out of 5 stars Most amusing., 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: On the Decay of the Art of Lying (Kindle Edition)
The text of a lecture given by Mark Twain, so a short book, but in his consistently witty style. Lovely.

4.0 out of 5 stars It made me smile..., 8 July 2012
It made me smile...and there is little more to add...I only marked it down as 4 star because there was not much to it.