4.0 out of 5 stars Great if you avoid the Philips application
I own an AW9000, AW5000, and an AW3000, I bought all of these from ebay, from people that had bought them brand new, and then could not get the Philips app to work reliably. This meant I got the AW3000 for under £60 the AW5000 for under £80 and the AW9000 for under £120.

Published 23 months ago by N. R. Gower

2.0 out of 5 stars Good speaker but very poor software
Published on 12 Jan. 2013 by Andy 1234

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great if you avoid the Philips application, 9 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Philips Fidelio AW5000/10 Wireless Hi-Fi speaker (Electronics)

So now I have all the versions I need at a great price here is the secret. Once you have connected the speakers to your network using the Philips application, forget about it, until you want to upgrade the firmware use a different application. I am not sure what your options are on the Apple side of things, but on Android there are lots of great UPnP applications, and these work extremely well, with BubbleUPnP the best control point in my opinion.

To be fair the Philips application has got a lot better recently, but its still a little slow, and browsing large media collections is a pain, BubbleUPnP is very fast.

Recent updates of the speakers firmware have dramatically improved the wireless performance and stability.

From a sound quality point of view, having heard the Sonos range and the Philips range, the Fidelio's are better in my opinion, the AW3000 has slightly greater clarity that the Play 3, the AW5000, has a fuller sound than the Play 5, the AW9000 does not have a direct competitor, but it does stand up quite well against a tradition HiFi separates system at a similar price (receiver and speakers).

These speakers are far better than most reviews would lead you to believe, just use a different control point and you will love them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great so long as you accept the usual wi-fi instability, 1 Nov. 2013
D. Jones - See all my reviews
I researched wireless music systems quite a bit before deciding to purchase an entire system based on the Fidelio platform, including a pair of AW9000/10 in the living room, a couple of AW5000 units in the dining room and kitchen and an AW2000 receiver feeding a couple of good quality bookshelf units in the office. At full price, this lot would have set me back £1,350 but because of some of the issues when first launched, I actually paid just £600 for the lot! What a bargain, so long as they work....

Out of the box, the all in one units (9000 and 5000) are weighty, well finished and exude quality. The 2000 unit however is a bit lightweight and flimsy with a plastic case and an obvious lack of weight in the power supply department (the unit is rated at 60 watts r.m.s. but read the small print, at 10% THD!). They all look pretty good though and the 5000 units especially are great for putting in the corner of a kitchen or dining room because of their angled cabinet.

Before you connect to the mains or go through any set up, download the app on your chosen device (either Apple IOS via the Apple Store or Android via Google Play Store - I have done both and they both download and work fine on both an Apple I-Phone 4s and an HTC 1S and 1X). Make sure you choose AirStudio + not the earlier and more problem prone AirStudio). Set up and wi-fi connection is easy - they readily grab your wi-fi signal and the set up instructions are simple and accurate. The prominent cabinet led light is a good idea as it tells you exactly what the status of the unit is at a glance.

Once you have connected to your wi-fi, you should see the unit on the list of available devices at the bottom of your screen and you should also see a menu that enables you to select a source (e.g. your NAS device, your PC, or on-line services such as Spotify or Tune-In Radio). Select one of those and the unit will connect to on-line services and then take you through two more stages - a download of a firmware upgrade and then a restart. After that, when your LED goes solid white you are ready to go. You can rename the device using device settings from the generic AW9000 etc. to the room location name or anything else you want.

Sound quality is good - the 9000s are forward, bright and balanced and bass is usefully full although don't expect a true hi-fi performance - you won't get this anyway as you are streaming music, if you want this stick to a high end CD based system!. I have them in a 450 square foot lounge and they are more than powerful enough to fill that. The 5000s are equally musical and balanced and more than powerful enough for a large kitchen / breakfast room. I have listened to the Sonos 5 unit alongside the 5000s and I think they are pretty close with the 5000s edging it on both sound depth and looks. The 5000s cost me £99 each compared with £350 for the Sonos 5 plus £39 for the bridge!! The 2000 is OK and should you want to use a meatier amp, there are pre-out sockets.

Problems - wi-fi stability is actually pretty good so far, they do drop out occasionally but show me a wi-fi device that doesn't! If they do drop out, then the old technical trick of turning them off and turning them on again has worked every time so far! The AirStudio App has been badly criticised in other reviews. I think the + release seems to be much better and actually whilst it does freeze sometimes, it's not that often and stopping and starting the app clears it everytime. I use Spotify and music from my NAS device and it works pretty well for both of those. There are other third party apps such as Bubble Upnp which I have tried but you can't stream Spotify and it doesn't seem to offer much benefit over AirStudio +.

Overall, a great buy at this price! get in fast, they are selling out like hot cakes!

***One year update** Still very pleased with sound quality and I have some tips for improving stability. 1. If you use a mains connected network system (TP Link or similar) and connect the units using an Ethernet cable all stability worries disappear - great! 2. If you can't do this, you can try going into to your wifi / router setup page and assigning fixed IP addresses to each of the units. This stops some of the drop out because otherwise, your router will apply an arbitrary and variable IP address every time you connect and this cause some instability. I would say my system is now about 90% reliable on wifi and 100% on ethernet

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, 7 Mar. 2014
I've used a sonos s5, a pair of aktimate micros, and various squeezebox and other solutions. Soundwise, this beats all of the others easily (with the exception of the aktimates, where I'd say it's very even).

As has been noted, the software (while much improved) is poor...but 3rd party apps like bubbleupnp resolve this. The price seems to jump around a lot. I've seen it as low as £99 (buy as many as you can stack on your shelves at that price!), and above £250 (consider a stereo solution like the aktimates instead).

...and while not relevent to the sound, it should be noted that this beautifully put together, oozes quality, and looks far more appealing than it does in the stock photos!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Speaker, 10 April 2014
Just a quick one to make two points:

1) The sound quality is great. Easily beats the Sonos Play 1 and 3, both of which cost more. There is a lot of bass for the size and it can go very loud if you want it to with minimal distortion.

2) I've had no issues with dropouts using AirStudio+ on Android. The speaker maintains a good connection with the wi-fi network. It also has an ethernet port, so a couple of powerline adaptors would sort any wireless issues anyway and it would STILL cost much less than any Sonos device.

Also, the Nokia Play To app works with this speaker if you're a Windows Phone person.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music server, 16 Aug. 2014
Very pleased with this.

Plus- as other reviewers have said, whilst not HiFi the sound is excellent for a portable device, clear and well balanced and with plenty of power to fill a 4 x 6m room . It's very listenable on my musical diet which is mainly classical/blues/jazz/folk, played from a NAS server at Apple Lossless quality. Small and unobtrusive, and the build quality is first class. WiFi works OK but occasionally stutters - I guess due to signal variability- so I run mine wired through Comtrend mains adaptors and that works fine.

Minus- the latest version of the supplied Android software is useable but still a bit flaky and counter intuitive, and there is a mildly annoying delay of perhaps 5 seconds after starting play before any sound is heard particularly when starting up from idle. Bubble upnp is easier to use for music playback from NAS and works with all my devices so I use that mainly, and only use the supplied software for setup and for playing radio.

I got this for just over £100 and at that price I have no hesitation in giving it five stars. If I'd paid the full price I'd have dropped it to four, bearing in mind the niggles above- but I would still have been pleased.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good speaker but very poor software, 12 Jan. 2013
After nearly 3 weeks struggling with this product I took it back to John Lewis and swapped it for a Sonos Play5 with a bridge. The Phillips software is so poor and tedious to use it makes the speaker pretty unusable. Spotify and plying music from an iPhone is very very basic but oddly enough Tune In radio is good and presets can be selected from buttons on the speaker but at £300 that makes it an expensive DAB radio. The Sonos outclasses this product in every way even though its £80 more expensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Bose (In My Opinion), 10 April 2014
I have had a BOSE sounddock too, and in my opinion these are much better than the BOSE.
Use Air StudioPlus (Not the Air Studio as mentioned on the paperwork) and you are good to go.

Go For It!

5.0 out of 5 stars ... and volume is superb on this speaker (and I like my music loud, 24 July 2014
SylviaJean (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
The sound quality and volume is superb on this speaker (and I like my music loud!). However I had quite a bit of trouble to get it to connect to my home network. In the end I had to change the security settings to an older WPA setting to get the speaker to connect. Also the Philips AirStudio app which needs to be used initially to connect the speaker isn't great (for example it cant be used on a kindle) but following recommendations by other reviewers I installed BubbleUpNP (the paid version is much better than the free one) and use it now instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 July 2014
awesome sound and fast delivery

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 13 Jun. 2014
Ordered in today's deals at just under £90 so happy with the sound. Placed on the kitchen worktop in a corner it only took a couple of minutes to get logged on the network with the wifi setup button on the back (press wifi setup on speaker and the same on the router and wait a few seconds for power button to turn white). Then on a pc start sending music files, superb sound, deep bass delighted with my purchase will buy another for the bedroom if the price comes down again. Woohoo super sounds in the kitchen.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›