5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book!!!
This was my choice for our book club and unfortunately some people couldn't get on with it as the first quarter of the book is hard going... BUT my advise is to persevere because it will be worth it in the end.... only 3 out of 9 of us actually finished the book but we were all glad we did... don't give up and read to the end!!!
Published 12 months ago by pathfinder

2.0 out of 5 stars Not his best work
Published 11 months ago by My Lovely Horse

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Not his best work, 4 May 2014
This review is from: The Beautiful and Damned (Kindle Edition)
This novel felt rushed at times, perhaps because it was. Fitzgerald was urged to get it finished and published as soon as possible to ride on the back of the success of This Side of Paradise. It's a massive shame because this could have been a masterpiece. At times the writing is beautiful, at others, as I say, it's rushed and seems to be thrown together from his notes.

What is ugly in the book, besides the pointless attempts at sporadic script writing scenes and dialogue, is the sarcasm in the narrative, which is funny and clever, like Fitzgerald referencing his own book, however like much of the book, chunks of action and narrative thinking is sledge hammered in that it breaks the spell of reading. There is so much awareness that one is reading that it gets tiresome. I like the references to fashions of the time, the odd quote, Keats was quoted a few times I think. I also liked the characters but their development wasn't believable.

This is worth a go if you are reading it on Kindle as it will be free, but otherwise read Tender is the Night or The Great Gatsby.

3.0 out of 5 stars Potentially-rich people leading tedious lives, 23 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Beautiful and Damned (Kindle Edition)
Has an important message but delivered in a draggy way. Lacks the precision and wit of the Great Gatsby and none of the characters are particularly likeable, which makes it less realistic because it's hard to believe (though not entirely impossible) that the American moneyed elite don't have a single saving grace. Gloria in particular shows extreme vacuity mixed with sharp intellect when Fitzgerald uses her as his mouthpiece, and therefore doesn't convince. Three-dimensional story peopled with two-dimensional characters, which is maybe what the story was trying to say anyway, but creates a disconnect that doesn't make for smooth flow,

2.0 out of 5 stars Depressing, 24 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Beautiful and Damned (Kindle Edition)
Plodding plot, characters are shallow, had no sympathy for any of them and felt sorry that nothing really nasty happened to them at the end. It is the first of F.Scott Fitzgerald stories that I have read, not sure I will bother in future.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed opinion, 24 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Beautiful and Damned (Kindle Edition)
I have mixed feelings about this book; there were times when I was carried along by the narrative and fascinated by the characters. However, there were also occasions when parts seemed to drag on and the effect was repetitive and dull. Jury's out on this but I did the historical context of New York at the time of writing

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book!!!, 8 April 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Above book, 25 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Beautiful and Damned (Kindle Edition)
Fascinating look at the lives of people who have always had as much money as they need - and the use they make of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars made me feel everything, 20 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Beautiful and Damned (Kindle Edition)
Fitzgerald hooked me, as with most people, with his beautiful 'Great Gatsby'. This is his second book I have read and although very different to Gatsby in many ways I loved it almost as much.

The story does not go in the direction you expect from the beginning, but the direction it does go is much more realistic and interesting. The main characters, Anthony and Gloria, are so interesting and multi-layered. This isn't just a love story, but comments on social status, relationships and war. I won't say much more (you should just read it yourself) but as always Fitzgerald's writing is beautiful and almost poetic. There are some interesting almost philosophical ideas in the book, and it definitely makes you think. I felt every emotion described, which is a great mark of an excellent author!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fitzgerald at his best, 15 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Beautiful and Damned (Kindle Edition)
Fitzgerald is my favourite author and I really enjoyed reading this. Interesting view on 1920s society and the morality of people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly engaging, 14 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Beautiful and Damned (Kindle Edition)
Another stunning portrait of the lost generation in America. Fitzgerald draws you into the lives and times of his self-absorbed characters. You know from the outset they are doomed but it's hard to put the book down. This is my choice for our next book club.

5.0 out of 5 stars Listened to this book and loved it. Fitzgerald's characters depict the hedonistic lifestyle of ..., 1 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Beautiful and Damned (Kindle Edition)
Listened to this book and loved it. Fitzgerald's characters depict the hedonistic lifestyle of the young and privileged (and those who wish they were) in post World War One America.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›