5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping up with Katy
Katy's tale could so easily have been preachy. Set in 1860s USA it's about a thoughtless, careless, happy girl who has a terrible accident. As she learns to live with pain and with not being able to walk, she also learns how to be patient and loving.
Published on 14 Nov 2004 by B. Clare Grant

3.0 out of 5 stars Love story but not on Kindle
This was free with the Kindle and as it was one of my favourites as a child I decided to enjoy it again. Loved the story, missed the pictures, hated the conversion to Kindle format - lots of spelling mistakes and broke lines after every Mr. or Mrs. as if it needed a new paragraph.
Published on 4 Jan 2011 by Skibeaky

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping up with Katy, 14 Nov 2004
B. Clare Grant "themymble" (Tunbridge Wells, England) - See all my reviews
However, the lessons are interspersed with annecdotes about Katy and her family. These are so alive and colourful that I am sure they must be partly true! There's the time Katy befriends a counterfeiter's wife; an important visitor finds and reads aloud Katy's story about Bop the blue poodle and Lady Edwitha of the Hebrides; and her sister Johnny's 'baby', a chair named Pikery falls ill and must be dosed with stolen medicine.
I love the underlying message, which is that good deeds begin at home - think globally, act locally. After Katy falls ill, she lies in bed fretting that she will never be able to perform all the great deeds she hoped to do. However she learns that she can make a difference to her family and friends.
I love the honesty of it - although at the end Katy is adored by her family, she is still sometimes headstrong and impatient, and there are times when she must work at being good. I loved the fact that her change has not consumed the joyous, impetuous part of her and there are still merry times after the accident.
I would love to know what a person who has suffered a similar disablement thinks of this story.
Similar reads are L M Mongomery's Anne and Emily books, Laura Ingalls Wilder's pioneering stories and Louisa M Alcott's Little Women.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like Katy, 31 Dec 2009
K. Iles (Worcestershire, England) - See all my reviews
I actually really enjoyed this book. I know it's a bit old-fashioned now, and obviously things have changed a lot since this book was written. Girls aren't expected to be perfect little angels these days. But it's still a very sweet book. It was interesting to see Katy change from a rebellious little girl into a polite and kind young woman.
One thing about this book that I didn't really like was the ending. I thought the last chapter seemed a bit rushed, and it seemed to me like the happy ending was a bit of an afterthought, and slightly unlikely too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chidlhood revisited, 7 May 2011
When I saw that the series of five 'Katy' books was available for the Kindle, I downloaded them at once; as an added bonus, some of them were free. My old books were much-loved and read and reread and, many years after they went to a charity shop or a jumble sale, to read them once again was a lovely reminder of childhood. They are well-written, and not so aimed at children that a forty-something-year-old got bored.

5.0 out of 5 stars A much-loved classic now on Kindle (hurrah!), 17 Jun 2011
This review is from: What Katy Did (Kindle Edition)
I love this book and all the Katy series. I was just a little girl when I first read it and it quickly became one of my favourites. Sadly my much-read copy was lost when we moved, and I never replaced it. Now here it is for the Kindle, and I have just spent a very happy few hours renewing my acquaintance with the Carr family. A huge thank you to the transcribers.

Society and fashion may change, but people don't and I, a 20th century English child had no trouble relating to Katy, a 19th century American child. Now middle-aged, I love Katy just as much, and find her adventures just as enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars What Katy Did..., 19 Dec 2010
Katy Carr is a twelve year-old girl, a tomboy who lives in a small house with her father, aunt and five younger brothers and sisters. At first, the book appears to be about growing up; with the plays, antics and misadventures of Katy, her siblings and friend Cecy Hall. The cheerful tone present early in the story is swiftly replaced about halfway through after a tragic incident which makes the book take a darker outlook and it becomes a nail-biting page turner.

Well-written with great supporting characters including severe yet kindly Aunt Izzie, the siblings: Clover, Elsie, Dorry, John and Phil, each with a unique personality and my favourite character, the Carr children's sickly yet wise and patient Cousin Helen.

If you have read and enjoyed similar books such as Little Women or Anne of Green Gables, you should give this a try.

A light read of about 200 pages with a good message to it - but parents buying this book for a child should read it first and then decide for themselves whether their child will be able to cope with the slightly dark, melancholy and sad second half.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best classics for young girls, 8 Dec 2001
By A Customer
What Katy Did shows us American family life in old times with a simplicity everybody understands. Having read its Portuguese translation with 10 years old, I've found the orginal even more interesting, at 48.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood Memories, 14 Oct 2011
L. Crook (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What Katy Did (Kindle Edition)
I remember loving this book when I was little and my copy was so worn out, yet all I could remember of it as an adult was Katy falling off a swing at some point. It is a kids book but not so much that you can't enjoy reading it. Definitely a good quick read that doesn't take much effort. If you read this years ago, get it for your Kindle and enjoy your childhood memories coming back to you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love story but not on Kindle, 4 Jan 2011
Skibeaky (Northamptonshire) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Children's Book, 1 Dec 2009
Whenever I read this book I get the uncontrollable urge to be good and nice and kind to everyone I know.

Beautifully written, you cannot help but fall in love with Katy and the rest of the Carrs.

Excellent book for children young and old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 11 Mar 2009
I read this book and enjoyed it.7

It is about a girl named Katy, she lives in America in the 1800's, she is rather hot tempered at times and careless, this leads her to obtaining a back injury, which makes her see the erors of her way, and eventully make a change.

this book is very good.