1,067
Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 21 December 2013
The book is wonderful and very engaging, however it was missing a lot of words which was annoying. I would recommend a better version where the text hasn`t been cut, and to someone reading it just for the storyline and pleasure.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 September 2014
'Pride and Prejudice' was published in 1813 and describes how its heroine, Elizabeth Bennet, copes with life among the landed gentry in the early nineteenth century. It is a delicate, wise and sometimes richly humorous novel about how to cope with polite society and its rules. Elizabeth is one of five sisters, the daughters of a moderately well-off country gentleman; his estate is entailed to the nearest male relative and the girls will have a very modest inheritance, so it is imperative that they marry well. To find a suitable husband, they must be accomplished, beautiful and well-mannered and the book deals with issues of manners, upbringing and educations, as well as morality.
This is such a well-known story and has been made into films and television series so many times that you'd think that reading it would be a yawn. On the contrary, it is subtle and charming and wise and thoroughly enjoyable, in my opinion Jane Austen's greatest novel. How much I'd have missed if I had simply watched this on tv! One really understands why Elizabeth and Jane's embarrassing relatives - their parents and siblings, were such a drawback to making a good marriage, as well as why their father's conduct was a reprehensible as their foolish mother's. What I loved was the realism - the explicit way in which women recognised that their only route to a secure and comfortable life was to marry the right man, and that actually falling in love was an optional extra. Elizabeth's plain friend, Charlotte, trades herself off to a foolish man whom she does not love in order to have a home and family and her painful predicament is completely understandable. Elizabeth is determined not to marry without love. Will she succeed? She learns many lessons in her journey to happiness, as does Darcy, and this is what gives the plot its movement forward. A lovely book!
on 13 September 2015
Classic novel Pride and Prejudice tells the story of Elizabeth Bennet, and her struggle for matrimony in the 19th century north of England. This being the first classic I completed, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Firstly, I have to admit, Austen's writing style and narrative of events has a really nice tone, and offers a broad perspective. Because said narrator is impartial to the transpiring events, one can experience the book broadly, and develop personal opinions of each character, which I really enjoy doing. Furthermore, having a narrator like this makes it so that one can feel as though they are watching the story through a present - but quiet and impartial - character's mind's eye, which really helps to bring the story to life.

Next, I wasn't expecting I would say this, yet I am: Jane Austen is really funny. Frankly, I didn't expect to get the jokes interjected into this book, for they are from a differing era to my own, yet I found myself laughing along with some of the witty comments inserted into the story.

However, I would say there are too many sub-plots. Granted, they all tie together at the end, yet I would have preferred it if the book focussed plainly on Elizabeth rather than Elizabeth and every one she's ever known. I found myself wishing the book would circle back around to Elizabeth and Darcy, but sometimes there were some rather big gaps away from the main plot line, which bored me quite a bit.

In comparison, I did really like the characters. Elizabeth is really nice to read about, for she is unlike all of her friends and sisters, and decides it is not a man she needs to live. Also, she likes reading, so what really is there to dislike?

Likewise, Darcy is really fun to read about. I love it when a character is so universally hated, only for the truth to dub them all wrong for prejudicing said character in such a way. This is exactly how it worked for Darcy, and I really loved it. Also, the switch between good/bad Darcy is really sudden, yet really natural, further accentuating the poor lighting the characters and the reader have seen Darcy's personality in, perceiving him not as the man he is, but instead the man he appears to be. In turn, this also offers a good message - do not prejudice! You could be prematurely judging the love of your life!

Overall, I really enjoyed this book, but did - unfortunately - feel as though the pacing was rather slow. There were moments when I found myself feeling rather bored, for the pace had hardly furthered, yet, granted, there were moments n whcih I was fully enticed by the novel. Thus, I awarded it 4/5 stars.
on 12 May 2016
Ever since I was a little girl, I have known the story of Pride and Prejudice. Like most hot-blooded women, however, the reason that I really got in to it was because of Colin Firth's portrayal of Mr Darcy on the BBC adaption. I am not even sorry about that because if you watch the adaption you will understand why that is - the coming out of the water in the wet shirt scene, of course! When I watched this adaption I simply had to read the book.

I have to say that the book really does not disappoint. It is not necessarily everyone’s cup of tea as it is of course a romantic period drama, after all, but it is definitely worth a read as it is one of the great classics and simply must be read! Overall, I give this book 4 stars as it is enjoyable but perhaps a tiny little bit on the stale side for me, which is more than likely simply the era that the book was written in which cannot be helped.
on 12 July 2016
...Oh what a character. Initially you despise him - his arrogance, pride and vanity (this is what we perceive of him through the eyes of Elizabeth Bennet in their initial introductions). But slowly, oh so slowly, you begin to fall in love with a man who in fact holds no vanity and is only proud in the utmost honourable respect. Prejudice is certainly the word to first describe Elizabeth's feelings towards Darcy but we soon see this diminish and the pride of both sides which held a defensive wall up for both, slowly crumble. Like millions of others have been since this book was published 2 centuries ago I think I have a new found love for a certain Mr Darcy!

This book perfectly describes a dominating gentry society where marriage was but a means of securing fortune and for women especially a form of stability when wealth could not be passed from father to daughter. Looking at characters individually I must say the eldest of the five Bennet daughters, Jan, pretty much annoyed me throughout the whole book. There is nothing wrong with only seeing the good in people but to be so out of touch with reality and be completely ignorant of all crimes a person commits is utter stupidity. Each daughter represents different flaws that human nature consists of.

Definitely recommend this book - not a huge fan of the movie casts so best to stick to the book so you can pick your own cast!
on 27 June 2016
This book was in schools' must read list which, of course, was never even touched.
After so many years after school you only start to understand why this book was in that list.

I love every single book of Jane Austen. As always she describes characters in such way that you see their pictures very clearly and everytime imagine the plot as in a movie :))
I love the characters - each of them unique, special, interesting. I can even recognise a person i know in reality these days, just like Mr. darsey suffering from shyness, but people think that he is just rude.

That kind of book which you want to keep in your library, recommend to others and read again after a while.
on 22 October 2012
"Pride and Prejudice" last fell under my gaze at the age of sixteen when I read the first two pages and, with an adolescent huff, discarded it as "boring". It never crossed my path since until, due to my beloved Kindle, the free download of "Pride and Prejudice" became more appealing, perhaps due to my irrational feeling that all books become infinitely more enjoyable when read on the Kindle.

Admittedly, I did not fall in love with the story of Elizabeth and Mr Darcy immediately. Despite considering myself quite a literary person, the language was more meandering than I had expected (and vastly different to the last book I read prior to this, Jane Eyre) and the protracted musings on social expectations were initially slightly difficult to follow.

Soon however, I became immersed in the conflict (and then the slowly encompassing love) between Elizabeth and Darcy - two people more alike than not. Austen's humour (far more subtle than if the book were to be written now) is infectious and she writes with sarcastic yet intelligent wit on the expectations of society upon women, marriage and love (and also how the latter is not necessarily present in the former)

The love between the two main protagonists is not how I had previously imagined that it would be. My expectations were of the stereotypical, staid romantic drama; flouncy and overwrought. Instead, I found two characters who are not perfect but who suit each other immensely if only they would realise it. The slow metaphorical dance that they engage in, circling each other (initially with insults and then with quiet admiration) is a joy to read and far beyond what I thought that it would be.

The characters leap off the page - from the patronising Lady Catherine de Bourgh, to the flighty Lydia, Austen shows her true talent at writing a variety of characters with vastly different personalities. Particularly, Mrs Bennet whose impolite and awkwardly embarrassing social climbing causes one to cringe right along side Elizabeth and Jane. Mr Collins, the Bennets cousin, is equally pompous and alienating though through Austen's incredible ability to weave insults through supposed pleasantries.

So much has been said in praise of "Pride and Prejudice" that there is hardly anything more to add. All I can implore is to try "Pride and Prejudice" whatever your previously held negative expectations might be - like me, you might just have them turned into surprising enjoyment.
on 23 March 2015
Upon reading this, I always saw it as Austen's apology for the murder of Marianne Dashwood's character at the end of Sense and Sensibility. Elizabeth is an extremely likeable character, a perfect mix of propriety and bluntness, making her both admirable and a fun protagonist. It also holds up very well to the test of time as although perhaps old fashioned in its obsession with marriage, it conveys the importance of women's choices and the importance of being true to yourself, and if you are, that good things will come. The more twee parts of it- the obsession with honouring your family, the letter writing, all serve as endearing and remind you of the time it's set in, which I enjoyed. I also l liked that her sister's incorrigiblity as she reamined bad - it's nice to not have a completely happy ending.

For this reason, and the excellent and honest writing, the scathing wit and comedy, and two characters whose attraction you can feel, I give Pride and Prejudice 5 stars, and I'm sad to finish it.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 December 2015
What can I say. This is such a well known tale that I doubt if there are many people who haven't delved into it. I loved the BBC serialised version of this book and it was this that made me go out and buy the actual book. I wasn't disappointed and, having seen it on TV, was able to connect the people with those shown on the screen which made it come to life in a really enjoyable manner. Recommend this to anyone who hasn't read it although modern folk might find it a bit slow going in places compared to the current trend for fast paced writing.
on 12 August 2015
Wow ive always wanted to read this book but put it off so many times. I'm so happy I read it people's opinions put me off reading it, thinking it's was going to be long winded and pompous but quite the opposite. I can only feel awe at Jane Austin's education in that period of time it must of been UN heard of that a woman could be so intellectual and literate. I for one, am proud of her from modern woman to a woman so far beyond her century. I only regret thinking it to oldie worldie to read. I was so wrong and on reflection I was also prejudiced to the old classics, this book I have learnt from it. No wonder they are still around and remembered when so many are forgotten.