5.0 out of 5 stars The Original Sinners book 1
Published on 10 July 2012 by Sarah (Feeling Fictional)

3.0 out of 5 stars dark and dangerously sexy
Published 22 months ago by Wee Shubba

3.0 out of 5 stars dark and dangerously sexy, 10 Nov 2012
I have had this on my kindle for quite a while and honestly I completely forgot about until I received book 3 for review. I know shocking that I could forgot a book. Bad Book Blogger!! I had read so many good reviews that I thought I would love it. And even though I actually really enjoyed the book. The story is dark and dangerously sexy I found the main characters lacking. Honestly I wanted to beat them up they annoyed me so much.

The Siren is book 1 in the Original Sinners series and is told from Nora and Zach's POV. Nora is an erotic writer by day but she has a secret she is a Dominatrix and not just any, she is THE Dominatrix. Powerful and terrifying. But Nora has a past. She is a Switch, which means she can be both a Dom or Sub. Nora's past is quite dark. And it is an interesting past and I really enjoyed finding out about her and her relationship with Soren. But she comes across so immature for her age. Nora is in her 30s but she comes across like a teenager at times. She is selfish and I wanted to beat her up she was so annoying. But she would have liked that lol. She lives with an unpaid intern called Wesley, he is 19 years old and in love with Nora although they have never slept together. Wesley was the the only character I actually liked. And even though Nora is pain I honestly felt that she was in love with him aswell. Zach, is Nora's editor. He just bored me so much. I kinda thought he was a pointless character. I get that he pushed Nora to write her book better but man was he boring as hell.

I mention Soren above. Now he isn't actually in the book alot but he plays a HUGE part in Nora's story. I didn't like him at all. But there is no denying that you are drawn to him and want to know more about him and the twist in the story with him and who is really is I guess is meant to shock but I thought it was amazing.I really shouldn't have since I am Catholic but I'm not a very good and thought Soren was interesting.

Now Tiffany Reisz is an amazing story teller. There is no doubt about that. I was drawn into this dark world and I am not going to lie I was hooked. I devoured the book. I just didn't like the characters apart from Wesley so I couldn't get the full connection to really love it. The Siren is NOT a romance story. So if you go into this thinking it is you are going to be really disappointed. Tiffany Reisz has create something that is sexy, dark but quite violent. And that I can understand why why people can find is shocking. It takes a lot to shock me. I understand why people find it too graphic. But I understand that this is fiction and yes this world really does exsist out there. Although as long as everything is consensual I say each to their own. I applaud Tiffany to tackling the more darker side to BDSM and writing is wonderfully.

Do I recommend this? Yes, I really do. Even though I personally found Nora as a shallow, immature woman I still really enjoyed the story and learning about Nora and her life. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series. I am hopefully I like the characters more in the sequel

5.0 out of 5 stars The Original Sinners book 1, 10 July 2012
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Siren (The Original Sinners: The Red Years - Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Other reviewers have already said it but I feel I have to say it again - if you are looking for a traditional romance story then this is probably not the book for you. The Siren doesn't have a happy ever after - in fact I don't think it would have been possible to give these characters a HEA at this point in their lives - but as it is the first book in a trilogy I'm hopeful that we may have a happier ending by the time the series finishes. What I will say is that if you're looking for unique, flawed characters who will worm their way into your heart precisely because they are so broken then you need to read this book.

I'm going to tell you right now that The Siren isn't an easy read, parts of the book made me feel incredibly uncomfortable and it definitely touched on things that shocked me but in spite of that I never once considered not finishing it. From practically the first page I was completely captivated by these characters. I may not have understood some of the choices they made and I didn't always agree with their lifestyle choices but Tiffany Reisz managed to make me connect with them anyway. What was most interesting was seeing inside their heads and discovering how they felt and why they had developed their particular quirks.

Nora is our main character and the story is about her relationships with 3 very different men - Soren, Zach and Wesley. Nora is a writer who is famous for her erotica books, she has a huge fan base but what she really wants is to be accepted by a mainstream publisher and become respected as a serious writer in spite of the erotic content of her story. Writing is her passion but her main income comes from her job as a Dominatrix, in the BDSM circles she moves in she is a queen and people pay extraordinary amounts of money just to have her tie them up and spank them. Nora is such a fascinating character who is full of contradictions which is shown partly in her ability to switch between the roles of Dominant and submissive. She is highly intelligent, witty, good at verbal banter, very aware of her own sexuality and willing to take what she wants. She doesn't feel the need to hide her desires and she isn't afraid of what others think of her. Despite all of that she is also someone who is broken and at times she seemed so lost that my heart went out to her.

Now lets have a look at the men in her life. First I'm going to talk about Zach. He is an editor at the respected publishing house who have decided they want to purchase Nora's next novel. He is quite a snob and believes that Nora is beneath him because she writes erotica. Zach is English but has been living in New York since his wife Grace left him, they may have been separated for a year but it is obvious he is still hung up on her and it takes a while before you find out the reason for their split. Although he hates the idea of working for Nora his boss is pretty insistent and after meeting her for the first time he finds himself intrigued by her. She isn't anything like he expected her to be and he finds himself drawn to her like no other woman since Grace. A brutal editor he is well known for upsetting the authors he works with but Nora is willing to take any amount of criticism that he can throw at her if it means her book will be better by the end of the process. I have to say that out of all of Nora's relationships this was the one I liked least (which is saying something considering how I feel about Soren!). For some reason I found it really difficult to like Zach, I just found him a bit too willing to sit back and let things happen to him. I wanted to see more fight in him to go out and get what he wanted from life and I felt that he was using Nora because she was convenient rather than because he had any real feelings for her. That didn't really seem to worry Nora though so I'm not sure why it irritated me so much.

The next man (well I say man but I almost want to call him a boy) I'm going to mention is Wesley. He was the character I loved the most, he is such a sweet and innocent young man and he cares so deeply for Nora. I desperately wanted him to be with Nora but equally didn't see how such an innocent young virgin would ever be enough for someone as used to the D/s lifestyle as she was. Wesley is her rock and she does love him but I never felt that she was in love with him like a partner would be. They were good friends and she doesn't feel she could live without him but she equally didn't want to taint what they had with the darker side of her life. Wesley hated her job as a Dominatrix and desperately wanted her to give up that lifestyle and settle down. Watching the two of them was both adorably sweet and heartbreaking at the same time. You are left feeling that they could be so good together if only he wasn't so innocent or she wasn't so experienced. It felt like the ultimate case of bad timing.

Now the final man in Nora's life is Soren, he is the love of her life and she was in a D/s relationship with him from when she was just 15 years old. For the majority of the book their relationship both horrified and terrified me - Soren is quite a bit older than her and when you discover more about who he is you'll understand why I felt like he had possibly abused a position of trust. I have read stories with fairly light BDSM in before but between Nora and Soren things are hardcore and reading made me cringe at times. I still don't know quite what to make of Soren, I don't trust him and I don't like him but as I got to know him I did start to feel like he had genuine feelings for Nora. The love between them may not be something that I could understand but that doesn't make it any less. Although Nora loves Soren she still left him and they have been apart for a year now, I can't really go into details of their separation without giving spoilers so I'll just say that it was sad to see how deeply they both cared and not wish for them to find a way to be together.

I've said it already but it's worth saying again - The Siren isn't a traditional romance but that doesn't make it any less a love story. There are so many different kinds of love between these characters but it is a messy kind of love, the kind that doesn't have an easy happy ending but the kind that sticks with you long after you finish reading about it. If you're going to read this book then you need to go into it with no expectations, be prepared to be taken way out of your comfort zone, be prepared for things that will probably shock and horrify you but also be prepared to be captivated. Tiffany Reisz will take you on a ride unlike any you've ever been on and you will enjoy every second of the emotional roller coaster!

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars for the storyline, rounded to 5 since the writing is just brilliant., 30 July 2014
Well, well, well. Who’d have thought it? I’ve come across this book so many times over the last few years and even had it on my tbr list, until I realised from other’s reviews that this is not a romance. That and the heroine being some sort of Domme, kinda put me off. Yes I know, shame on me. But back then I just wasn’t feeling it.

Now, however, after reading some more friends’ reviews and wanting a distinct change from my usual reads, I decided to give it a bash. And boy I’m glad that I did!
It’s true, this isn’t a romance. It’s clear from the beginning that whilst there is some major chemistry-lust between the two MCs – Nora and Zach, the two are just not meant to be together. They meet on a professional basis, with Nora specifically wanting Zach to edit her new fiction book. After some persuasion from his boss, the notoriously-gloomy-brooding English man reluctantly agrees to do this one last job before he moved to LA in 6 weeks time. After meeting Nora and reading some of her work for the first time, he is immediately attracted to her and also sees promise in her writing skills. He is however ruthless in his editing, which is luckily something that Nora really wants.

So that’s the premise of the story. But that’s just a smidgen in terms of the other things going on…so much so I’ve had to make a list whilst reviewing this….there’s that much going on when it comes to the dynamics between not just the MCs but other characters as well.
Firstly, Zach and Nora, as I’ve already said, have something going on. Zach is quite simply scared of her and her forward approach to him and all matters in life – mainly sex. Over time he does come to enjoy their time together and looks forward to speaking/meeting up with her.
Nora is like no heroine I’ve read about before. She is fun, witty, sexy and a little vulnerable (at least when it comes to certain people in her life). Yes she is a professional Domme and seems to enjoy it whilst she’s ‘working’ but it isn’t her main focus – that is she doesn’t really need the control like I guess a true Dom/me would. I don’t normally like the forward heroine-types, but for me, Nora was ace! I loved her and more so when, as the story progresses, you get some ‘flash-backs’ of sorts from her younger days, when she met her first and only love – Soren.

And that’s why Nora and Zach aren’t really meant to be romantically attached. Nora is still hugely in love with her former long-term lover/master Soren, whom she met when she was just 15 (he was 30!) They don’t get sexually involved until she is a little older, which is a saving grace of sorts. However from these flash backs, which are bizarrely sensual if a bit freaky, it’s clear Soren is a 'sadist. And I mean a proper-take-no-mercy kind, not some fluffy-i-will-spank-you kind. And despite Nora’s present occupation, she was his submissive-masochist for over a decade before she ended their relationship. Why….well it’s not because she couldn’t take the pain anymore. The revelation behind their relationship starting and finishing is quite shocking, so I won’t say anymore.
Zach is still technically married to Grace, who lives back in the UK. He has been separated for a year or so now, and the reason(s) are sort of explored sporadically throughout the book. Like most relationships, things started to go downhill for him well before he left for the US, but it seems he still holds some guilt of sorts regarding an event that occurred were he hurt Grace in some way.
So that’s Zach & Nora in a nut shell. Despite the above, the flirting between the two throughout really does work and for those who don’t like the whole infidelity thing….Grace seems to be moving on herself with another man.

Nora & Soren’s relationship: whilst they are not together any more, they are still contact with each other through one form or another. Soren seems to be keeping an eye on her without being pushy or controlling, at least when it comes to regular day-day things. They also see each other regularly at the underground-kink club they attend. You might think that this would be awkward, but it isn’t. As part of the s/m lifestyle, they are sort of ‘open’ when it comes to ‘playing’ with other people and he seems to like the fact that she acts as head Domme at the club….after all, it means no-one else can touch her.
Soren……he scares the crap out of me! And that’s saying something! Really. I can’t even think of any other heroes to compare him to. He’s one of a kind and definitely a character who you love to hate and I find myself wanting more of him, despite what he does. Maybe I have a masochistic side to me…..who knows? But it’s true. Even more shocking is his occupation. I can’t say anymore, but needless to say that this and his relationship with Nora over the last 18 years is all kinds of wrong, yet right is some ways too, since he sort of ‘saved’ Nora from probably a much worse fate.

That brings me onto Nora’s other weird relationship with her intern/room-mate - Wes. I really don’t know how to describe the dynamic between the two. It’s a strange-sordid cross between how a mother and son would worry about each other and how best friends would love and care for each other. Wes is a 19 year-old student, who after meeting when Nora acted as resident-writer at his College, she took pity on and offered a spare room for him to stay. As the book progresses it seems Nora did this, and all the other things she does (flirting, teasing etc) with him probably because she sees part of herself in him when she was his age?? I’m not sure. But regardless they have this ‘thing’ going on where she flirts incessantly and he somehow resists for the most part – I mean, he’s a 19 year old virgin…..figures!

You’re probably thinking…..WHAT. THE. HELL?! And yep, I agree. All this going on in one book. But let me say. It works! The author has a great writing style – with how Nora’s past with Soren is told almost as a self-reflection, as if she is writing a book about that alone (which incidentally she isn’t). The author has also managed to make this one of the hottest books I’ve read WITHOUT there being any graphic sex scenes. It’s just enough to be classed as erotica, but also leaves a lot to the imagination and a little frustrated too. Nice!

So what did I think? I’ve written quite a few words trying my best to describe this book, and I know I’ve not done it justice. If you are in the mood for something different and have an open mind, then take a ride with this one! And that’s exactly what it is. You never know what’s going to happen from one page to the next, yet the ending is somehow inevitable. Bittersweet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted, 8 Nov 2012
An avid reader. - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I was really uncertain about how many stars to give this book. Why? Because this isn't your ordinary run of the mill erotic/romance/contemporary book.

I ended up on five stars because it was/is simply 'amazing' but I didn't arrive at 'amazing' taking the usual travelled path, oh no. It is amazing simply because of the depth and the darkness of the content and the reverent attitude towards the story and how it was brought to life.

There are absolutely no fluffy bunnies/sweet romance or hedonistic idioms promising the usual happy ending. This book is extremely dark, it's extremely potent and it's extremely well written.

So why was this book amazing? It is actually so intellectually written and a complete role reversal of the usual promiscuous man versus the shy and becoming woman. This book leaves you actually squirming at some of the dark content within and it goes against all in your head that you feel you are comfortable reading, there are many, many words that are simply not comfortable at all being swallowed into your head. So why did I read on? Quite simply I got captured by it and it just would not release me of it's hold until I had read the last page much like Zach and the signing of the contract.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christian Grey doesn't have s#*t on Soren, 23 Nov 2012
i order this book yesterday at around 7 in the evening, i haven't slept yet but i have finished the book (its now 12 in the afternoon). I have to say i worried to buy the next instalment. The book was very gripping, so excellently written and the thought of another sleepless night is unappealing however the book is far from it. The thing that got me most about the book wasn't it erotic content which in some place i found enjoyable and other felt very shocked. it was the storyline. It is fanatistic with it dark twists and turns and realistic element. I really felt for the main character and her bonds with the guys in the story.For me this book conjured many emotions, i would recommend this book to anyone who is lucky enough to stumble across it.

3.0 out of 5 stars An uncomfortable read at times for me., 24 Sep 2012
I'm going to make this fairly quick. Whilst I absolutely loved Tiffany Reisz's writing style, I'm still in two minds as to whether I actually really liked the book. Trust me when I say I am not a prude in the slightest. I've read books like Captive in the Dark, and Seduced in the Dark and loved them, even though some scenes in the books were brutal. But, in The Siren, reading the Soren and Nora scenes made me extremely uncomfortable.

*spoilers ahead*

I guess it could be because I didn't think he loved Nora at all. I mean, yeah he said it, but what difference does that make if he isn't showing it? I didn't like Wesley at all either. He just seemed like a naïve little boy, who was too weak to go after what he wanted. The only guy I really liked was Zach! Now that him and Nora are probably not going to be getting together, I doubt I'll bother reading the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Original sinners - what a story, 9 Aug 2012
I have just finished this book and am frankly awestruck. I read 'seven day loan' by this author and was very impressed but this is just glorious storytelling at it's very best. If I could applaud, I would.

It took me a while to get into the story because it was unlike other stories that I have read. I don't cry - EVER - but toward the end of this book I couldn't help it, they fell.

Eleanor is a renouned paid dominatrix at a secret very professional and hardcore bdsm club. She has always known that her needs aren't simple and from a young age was singled out by a church priest who also happens to be the main dominant at the club to be his only lover and he initiated her into the club and taught her to become his submissive - thirteen years ago she decided that she couldn't do that anymore and left 'Soren', but after realising she needed the income and the lifestyle ended up back at the club in a dominatrix role.

Our main character,Eleanor, has written many books on the subject which are good sellers and is becoming known as an author. She has an 'intern' living with her, a beautiful christian young man who she desires but does not want to 'corrupt'. Her new book is based on her relationship with 'Wesley' and she is assigned an editor to complete the book.

The Editor (Zach), and Eleanor don't immediately hit it off, he struggles to understand her lifestyle and this story is based mainly around their struggle to find a relationship together as friends, colleagues and eventually lovers.

All of the relationships are so beautifully complicated, and their relationships together cause a lot of damage and pain - and this is where Tiffany Reisz is a Mistress of the pen. Ultimately, you feel Eleanor's pain - she is so strong and yet so fragile and so loyal and loving.

This is possibly the finest book I have read in this genre and for the price, an absolute joy. I have read a lot of books costing a lot more for a lot less entertainment. This is a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deliciously Dark, 13 Jun 2012
This is not a romance novel......

This is not even your garden variety erotica. What it is, is a deep exploration of the emotions and sexuality of two people who have broken up from the apparent loves of their lives.

I found the style of writing very atmospheric. I felt like I had stepped into an alternate reality where the real world was just a hand's reach away but separated from me by thick bank of fog. There's an insular almost echoey quality to it. The world around me faded to grey, everything fell away and all that was left was the words on a page. It captivated me.

Nora is a best-selling erotica writer who is intent on moving her work to a well-respected publishing house and insists on their most respected editor - a hard-nosed, stuffed-shirt of an Englishman, Zach. He, at first, turns his nose up at working with her but takes the job as his boss feels she can bring a libidinous cachet to his staid publishing house.

So, the story revolved around Zach picking her work to pieces with brutal attention to detail. I wonder what pressure Tiffany Reisz herself felt under here when every word is under scrutiny and the quality of the prose is up for constant assessment.

Zach has recently separated from his wife and left her in England. Nora has left the sadist Master she was submissive to for thirteen years. The reason why will shock you. Søren, Nora's ex - I had deep issues with. She's clearly still in love with him and his influence over her remains as strong as ever. Zach is also clearly still in love with his ex wife, Grace. Their respective breakups cast a hefty shadow over both of their lives and their choices giving a faintly depressive aspect to the narrative.

Nora is a very complex character, reckless and wild, fascinating and beautiful, dark and dangerous and, unbeknown to Zach, Nora is not just a sub, a domme or even a switch. No, Nora supports her opulent lifestyle by working as a professional Dominatrix. I really didn't want that for her. The submissive somewhere deep in me feels only profound sadness for the perceived loneliness of the Dominatrix.

Nora has another very important relationship in her life. She has a young `intern' living with her, Wesley. I loved Wesley. He was wise beyond his years, a virgin and deeply, deeply in love with Nora. She also loves him but I don't believe she's in love with him. I was so desperate for her not to take their relationship that little bit further and totally destroy it.

It's an amazingly emotional journey - mostly I felt just deep sadness for their characters and their inability to find happiness and their destructive relationships. As Zach picked apart her novel, asking Nora to remove most of the sex scenes, we're left with the question - if you remove the sex from BDSM, is all that remains just emotional violence? It really leaves you thinking.

It's not a book littered with hardcore sex - sure, there is sex but I've read books with way more. And the ending -at least there is to be a sequel, The Angel. I feel very strongly that this story is not done, deeply unsure about the decisions the main protagonists made at the end. I need more.

It says on Tiffany Reisz's website - This ain't your Momma's Thornbirds. She ain't wrong.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry to say it but this was utter trash, 30 Nov 2012
Firstly, I just want to say that I haven't been swept up in the whole "Fifty Shades" hype, I have zero interest in reading that series.
However, as this was on offer I thought I'd give it a go. And honestly, what a load of rubbish. I'm not a prude in any way, I couldn't care less what people are interested in in the bedroom (or in this case, seedy underground club) and the sexual content or subject matter didn't offend me or bother me in the slightest.

No, my problem with this book is that I didn't care about a single one of the characters, none of them had any redeeming qualities that made me care about any of them or want to hear more from them. The writing was unimaginative and the story weak. I kept thinking that it was going to get better, and forced myself to read the book in its entirity. I wish I had given up now because that is time I'm never going to get back!

I really don't like giving poor reviews, I don't like being so mean! But really I wouldn't wish this upon anyone, and I will definitely not be purchasing any more in the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Middle of the Road Erotica, 6 Nov 2012
Take one book editor (male) with demons from a guilty marriage, add one (female) author who is considered the queen of erotica running from demons of her own. Mix until there are no lumps. Fold in a younger (male) assistant who is hopelessly in love with the female. Put over high heat and watch the explosion.

That about sums up how I felt about this book. The BDSM scenes were intense as is the character of Soren - the demon who our female (Nora) is trying to put behind her by writing an erotic novel based loosely on her life. Zach (the book editor) is all over the place, running away from a marriage that he thinks his younger wife (living in England) no longer wants. Is he guilty for running out on his wife instead of working through their problems? Will he give in to the temptation that is Nora? Will Nora find solace in Zach's arms? Can each of them put aside their former lives or are they ultimately bound to their former partners?

The plot is well thought out, the characters are intriguing, and the big reveal - when it comes - took me by surprise. But I didn't find myself anxious to pick up the book and read the next chapter. I found myself actually wanting to watch television instead of trying to delve into the minds of Zach and Nora. I did like the character of Soren, though. He had no demons to run from, he knew what he wanted and how to get it. He was a man of action, not what-ifs.

If you like erotica, you'll like this book simply for those kinds of scenes. But for my money, I enjoyed Fifty Shades of Grey more.